Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Double A said:
I don't see why people are stressing about the game being set 200 years in the future. Two of the games were set 1000 years apart and VERY little changed. Maybe they'll be repeating crossbows and M'aiq the Fifteenth.
Agreed. Like Max said, this is very geocentric of us.

If there are muskets, they won't be a nail in the coffin for it. Bethesda's been at this gig for a while, and I don't think they'll implement something they know that a large portion of the fans don't want.

I'm betting on a crossbow, tops.

And would it be too much to ask for katars, kukris, and naginatas?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
I'm expecting some Steampunk, but being realistic, there's not a lot you can do in 200 years. Maybe nicer gear, that's it.
Look at the differences in technology between 1809 and now. I'd beg to differ with your statement.

Buck Wilde

Jul 15, 2009
It all makes sense, Bethesda is buying Valve so they can callaborate on this game to make it a FPS with muskets.

/Thread

That was sarcasm BTW (because no one can tell that over the internet, nobody)

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
I have no real opinion on the guns, just so long as they fix the spells and enchanting. I mean seriously, Morrowind had awesome spells, and the enchanting abilities would actually provided weapons and armor that were really useful. Maybe the levitate spell was a bit too much, but I want to be able to enchant my armor with more than +1 strength this time(exaggerated for maximum effect). That and creating my own spells. Sure a fire, frost, lighting spell might not have been the best, but it was FUN! And it looked cool! The best I got from Oblivion was a few damage points from each, and the spell would cost half my available mana.

Again, I know that some of the aspects of Morrowind made you a little overpowered, but Oblivion took most of that personal customization away that made me enjoy Morrowind so much. If, at the end of the game, I want to create the ultimate suit of armor, I don't want to be restricted to only a single minor enchant for each piece. Likewise for weapons and spells. What's the point of becoming so powerful if you can't even make a decent custom suit of armor? Anyway, main point is, make the game slightly more customizable than Oblivion. Find some happy middle-ground between Morrowind and Oblivion and I'll be happy with the game. I hope...

werekitsune

Oct 18, 2009
I think this will be a fine change. Usually for a game to significantly change its setting and give gamers a brand-new experience, they need to do something radical like skip to another century or go into a another dimension or continent.

Besides, most people on this thread seem to think that the developers will change the game in adherence to the history of the real world, like Fable II did, but this is a big misconception. A world like Oblivion that has magic, spider demons who crap out spider demons when in a fight, and gates that lead into dimensions where demon lords reign is not too concerned about the real world.

They could do something really anyway, and if they change the problems in the last game (like all magic being different colored puffs of light), then itll be epic

Big Bill Hell

Dec 3, 2008
In my opinion, the best thing to do with the series is set the next one in the southern provinces of Tamriel. Let's say that Valenwood and Elswyer formed an alliance and annexed Leywainn county from Cyrodiil, and are at war with Black Marsh, who have reclaimed Blackwood from Cyrodiil. Summerset Isle is allied with the Argonians of Black Marsh. All of those provinces will be playable.

Diablini

May 24, 2009
I will not even look at it, if it has that same recycled to death interface. I am so sick of it. Also - I want a musket!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yes, I want to play as a magical elf race that can shoot various flavours of magic from his hands and completely ignore them as I simply shoot my enemies face off.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
What, why is everyone mentioning guns all of a sudden?
Hell, they couldn't even make a crossbow work in Oblivion!

200 years doesn't mean guns, and where would they get gunpowder? They've been mining for what, centuries, if they haven't been invented by now then they probably won't be anytime soon.

Also, common sense - a gun vs Finger of the Mountain. Who would bother?!

But more on topic that sounds jawsome. Maybe more Dwarven ruins?

A lot more?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
chickenlord said:
NO!!! i hope to god they don't make it have more modern technology...thats like one of the main reasons I'm never going to play fable 2... they have freckin magic for fuck sack they don't need guns!!!!!!! i can't stress that enough...
Hokey religions are no match for a good g.....er....blaster at your side.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I don't care if they have guns in it or not, I don't care if the entire thing is set in some dwemer/steampunk setting.

I do care if the game's engine is significantly more stable than Oblivions.

Also would like to see usable boats, maybe partake in a naval battle or two?

Apr 28, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
You're all assuming that the universe these games take place in will follow in Earth's technological footsteps.
Ecactly.

People on Earth used technology to help with their lives. The people on Tamriel have magic, which would cause technology to develope a lot slower than ours. There will probably be some crossbows and maybe a few steampunk elements. But nothing to drastic.

Plus, your Oblivion character could live for over 200 years via a number of ways. He/she could be a vampire, which if I remember correctly Vincent from the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary was over 700 before, well, thats a spoiler.

Or, of your character was the Archmage, he/she could have developed a deep understanding of magic and used it to extend his/her life.

You could be blessed by the Nine and live to help preserve peace. Far fetched but it could happen.

You become Sheogorath, A Deadric GOD. And I assume Gods can live forever.

There are plenty of ways for your Oblivion Character to still be alive. And technological advances would be minimal at most.

I just hope that they hire more than 8 damn voice actors for the entire population.

Apr 28, 2008
008Zulu said:
Also would like to see usable boats, maybe partake in a naval battle or two?
It needs more pirates. Preferably a pirate "guild" or something.

I remeber seeing a mod adding it and navel battles, but I think its basically dead :(

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
There's no point in bringing technology into it---there wouldn't be much incentive to invent a musket when a fireball will do the job just fine.

Plus, Tamriel has been in a bit of a technological rut for the 4,250 years (1E2920, 2E897, 3E433) since the end of the Merethic. What makes anyone believe that they'd have a sudden burst of technology?

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Doug said:
Naturalized said:
NO. No no no.

This a very bad idea. Elder scrolls does not need guns that is Fallout's niche not ES.

EDIT: for clarity. I believe that with that type of year gap they can't help but bring guns and shit into it and that is not good
The OP didn't say anything about guns. And besides, in a world full of magic, old style guns would seem alittle pointless.
exactly why shoot someone with a gun if you can shoot lightening from your fingertips, then again its easy for anyone to use a gun more difficult to master the mystical arts
don't wait incenerate!

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
So long as the game is at least on the same scale then I think I'll be happy.

I trust that they will make the right gameplay decisions, but I fear they might make another Fallout 3 esk game, meaning much less in the ways of quests and cities.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Never mind technology, I'm curious as to what 200 years' worth of change would do to Tamriel societies. I envision a Black Marsh partially civilized and traversible by all races, but much of it still wild and home to Argonians practicing ritualized lifestyles no other race has ever seen. I imagine an Elsweyr embroiled in civil war with an absentee Mane (who you might just help find). And I imagine an Imperial City that isn't smaller than some theme parks I've been to.

Bethesda sometimes falls flat on the technology front, but they can make some fairly good stories.