Rumor: Sorry Folks, There Will be no DirectX 12 Support For Windows 7 - Update

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hmm. I wonder what other hidden concessions and DRM will come bundled with Windows 10 to make such obvious baiting worthwhile?

Companies don't jerk their customers around without reason, and encouraging enthusiast sales of Windows 10 seems like a strange thing to force given Microsoft's assured coverage through bundling and business.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
ok this is shitty however there have been rumours that they are dropping 32bit support in windows 10 ( about bloody time if they do ) so i stress again if the dropping of 32 bit is true then i can understand why they do this not wanting to support x86 and x64 versions of DX12. If they don't stop 32 bit support in windows 10 then they are just force upgrading money grabbing arse slime.

Honestly if they do drop 32bit support then they deserve a big pat on the back, no more legacy drivers no more support for legacy apps, it will be a total pain in the arse at first it was when apple did it but its worth it in the long run. People will hate them for it but they are used to it by now and this at least would be a valid reason to get people pissed off at you.

EDIT I don't want to sound like a windows fanboy i dislike the OS but i have to use it if i want a large library of games so i may as well want them to do the best job they can.

Grim Sterling

Dec 27, 2013
I'll do what I usually do and wait. The publishers are going to build games for the largest install base and the biggest possible audience, so most stuff will still work with what I have now for many years to come. By the time we reach a point games are steering towards this new DX I will have plenty of time to see, test and get familiar with Windows 10 and decide to shift. I just hope the performance really is there and not just enough boost to catch up to a leaner, meaner windows 7.

Cause if the performance boost for Win10 is just enough to catch up to Win 7 due to added bloat features, apps, GUI shinies and other cpu/mem intensive system processes I'm really not going to bother bumping until I really need to in order to continue working/gaming. :)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Not terribly surprised, but they're banking a lot on Windows 10 actually being a significant improvement from Windows 8. If the customer base doesn't follow, I don't think anyone's going to be that desperate to develop for DX 12.

Honestly, I'd really like Windows 10 to be worth installing. But Microsoft's UI people have got to get their head out of their collective ass. The tablet market isn't biting (2.1% market share as of 2013), and they've effectively alienated an enormous portion of their mouse-and-keyboard base. They need to admit that 8 was a mistake and reverse course, not double down.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Sorry Mac. Not going to fly with me.
Not buying Windows 8 and we shall see about 10, but there's no way I'm getting blackmailed in to any of MS bullshit.
They keep doing this. Release a fail - know that it's failed and everyone else knows about it too - yet still stubbornly try to get everyone aboard the failboat regardless. On your own man.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
Kahani said:
Doom972 said:
Most PC games still use DirectX 9, some use DirectX 10, and few use DirectX 11
Indeed. Not many games even use DirectX 11, and I can't think of any that actually require it, so I don't see this being an issue at all. Developers will slowly add support for DX12 as it enters the mainstream, and before you know it it will be the outdated standard that everyone's complaining is about to lose support when DX15 is announced.

I also don't see why people seem to be getting so upset about this. Windows 7 is over 5 years old now, and support for it ends this coming January, while DirectX 12 won't be out until "holiday 2015" (Wiki doesn't actually specify which holiday, I think it's an American thing that the rest of us have to guess at). Of course Microsoft aren't going to make every new bit of software compatible with things that are two versions out of date and no longer supported. This isn't anything to do with ransoming or any bullshit like that, it's just a standard part of the release and support cycle.
It's the same thing that gaming had to deal with when video game consoles started having newer versions come out Before that, people had their same television/radio sets for 20+ years. Now all of a sudden they had to buy new video game consoles even though they bought one 3-4 years ago. It's not worth the investment if your forced to change/update it every cycle. Most people buy these kind of things as INVESTMENTS. I expect it to last a good long time if it costs more than 200 bucks.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
I might upgrade to Windows 10 if the old rule of "every other Windows version is worth it" holds up. But I won't be forced to upgrade, the games I own run fine now so I don't really care about improving performance. I might have to go from ultra settings to high settings? Tragic.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Strazdas said:
Meh. DirectX12 will be similar to Mantle, and we saw that despite it looking great on paper it had very little effect for anything but old systems. so yeah, we will be fine with DirectX11 thank you very much.

No, just no. There is no worse than Vista.
I think you've forgotten about Windows ME....

I don't really care about directx 12 being windows 10 exclusive, its not like game devs are going to drop support for whatever version windows 7 supports.

I'll upgrade to windows 10 whenever I get around to it but it probably won't be because "ERMEGERD I NEED DIRECTX 12"

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
But surely devs will release games that support the greatest number of users? To increase their chance of sales? So they won't take up DX12 (without some stellar features) since it cuts into their bottom line?

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
You'll be fine with Directx 11 for a long time, the PS4 and Xbox One are both DX11 and as long as consoles remain the largest platform for AAA games you won't see many DX12 features in games.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Zhukov said:
Waaaaitwaitwaitwait.

Windows 10I swear they only just launched Windows 8. Hell, what happened to Windows 9?
They had to go to 10 after 7 ate 9.

I'm not sorry.

Anyway, between devs probably not moving to the newest stuff right away because it'd take time and money, and the userbase not moving to 10 right away because of time, money, and inconvenience, I don't see people budging on this until they just drop support for 7 entirely.

Lemmibl

Jan 27, 2009
This might be the final push that will make OpenGL fully relevant in games again. It's already highly relevant (see: everything Valve does these days).

As an actual professional graphics programmer, I think OpenGL is perfectly fine for games on PC. Depending on hardware level you can get some truly impressive performance with OpenGL these days. The stuff you can do on Kepler generation+ cards with bindless rendering and multidraw indirect seems really promising.

I guess the big problem is the console market. We'll see how the PC market looks in a few years, and see if Sony/Nintendo choose to go the OpenGL route (disclaimer: I have no clue at all about consoles). I mean, considering the way console hardware has been going the last generations, they're starting to look more and more like normal PCs with less and less specialized hardware.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
It won't be such a big deal, mentioned earlier here, most games support directx 9, 10 and 11, so in the future newer games will support 9, 10, 11 and 12. The userbase for directx12 only games will not be big enough to justify dropping the development of earlier versions.
In the future (windows 13, think about 9 or 10 years from now) we will have the same discussion about directx 15 or 16, and why support for dx12 will possebly be dropped in the near future.
Things move on and will change because of it. Introduction of new features sometimes comes with loss of previous and now lesser used functionality.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Huddy continued to say that the number of users using Windows 7 is actually growing, which may explain the decision to "force" consumers to upgrade by holding the latest DirectX at ransom."

Yeah, I saw that dick move coming forever ago.
Doesn't hurt to have been a tech journalist for ten years, but I assume it was obvious to most Escapists anyway?

CAPTCHA: "jump over". Lol, probably not Captcha!

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Kahani said:
I also don't see why people seem to be getting so upset about this. Windows 7 is over 5 years old now, and support for it ends this coming January, while DirectX 12 won't be out until "holiday 2015" (Wiki doesn't actually specify which holiday, I think it's an American thing that the rest of us have to guess at). Of course Microsoft aren't going to make every new bit of software compatible with things that are two versions out of date and no longer supported. This isn't anything to do with ransoming or any bullshit like that, it's just a standard part of the release and support cycle.
I didn't realize support for win7 ends in january; granted they still have extended support going after that and there are machines still selling with 7 pro on them. I think the reason people are so upset is that there's no legimate reason to force users to update to a new OS. Windows 7 meets the needs of current desktop users. One of the reasons Vista failed as bad as it did is because there was no need for it in the market (it was a couple of years early for the 64-bit changeover in the mainstream). The only thing 8 brought was touchscreen support, which has caught on with desktops about as well as 3D monitors. I doubt 10 will have any sort of magic bullet that will justify the upgrade; a new OS should only come when there's a corresponding change in the technology that demands it. Microsoft isn't responding to the needs of the market, rather they are doing the exact opposite and making the market respond to their needs.

People just want to use what they have instead of being forced into obsolescence so someone can try to make a quick buck.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Doom972 said:
Most PC games still use DirectX 9, some use DirectX 10, and few use DirectX 11, so I don't think that it's going to be a problem in the foreseeable future. I do hope that it'll encourage game developers to adopt OpenGL instead. It'll make paying for a new OS optional, and will make porting to other OSs much easier.
The only problem is OpenGL is rubbish compared to *Direct3D* (OpenGL only competes with one area of DirectX). Not only that OpenGL as it currently stands doesn't even compare to Mantle, Metal and DirectX 12 now that it has also ditched the traditional GPU pipeline model.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
So Microsoft, you think my love for graphics is greater than my hate for you? HAHAHAHA, It's not.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
EiMitch said:
Micro$oft keeps making the same mistakes. They piss their customers off with a crap OS, then they win them back with a better OS, just in time to piss them off again with another crap OS that sucks in the same ways as last crap OS. Micro$oft never remembers their hard lessons. Its like they suffer from a greed-induced amnesia.

Earth to Micro$oft: you don't have a monopoly anymore. Why do you act like you still do? You're only driving people to buy Apple instead, including me. No, seriously. This was the last straw on a pile of lead. I'm going to buy a mac asap. I don't care if Windows 10 turns out to not suck. I don't want to be later forced to "upgrade" to the next ME/Vista/8. I've had enough of the $tupid cycle. And you Micro$oft had plenty of chances to learn from the same old mistakes. I won't give you another. F*** off and die with a whimper like myspace.
Get Steam OS, its Linux which is what Mac OSX is built off anyway (well Unix)

OT: Yeah not a wise move Microsoft, Linux is looking more and more appealing by the day, basically shoving your customers towards your competition is a STUPID move.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
MorphingDragon said:
Doom972 said:
Most PC games still use DirectX 9, some use DirectX 10, and few use DirectX 11, so I don't think that it's going to be a problem in the foreseeable future. I do hope that it'll encourage game developers to adopt OpenGL instead. It'll make paying for a new OS optional, and will make porting to other OSs much easier.
The only problem is OpenGL is rubbish compared to *Direct3D* (OpenGL only competes with one area of DirectX). Not only that OpenGL as it currently stands doesn't even compare to Mantle, Metal and DirectX 12 now that it has also ditched the traditional GPU pipeline model.
I know that it's not as advanced as Direct3D 11 at its current form, but if The Witcher 2 was ported to OSX and Linux using OpenGL, then it's probably good enough.