Samurai Jack Season 5 thread.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
MrCalavera said:
erttheking said:
I don't mind it, but the people who have issues with it aren't complaining about nothing.
I think they are, in this case. At the end of the day, both Jack and Ashi are functioning adults. Biologically and mentally.
Maybe because i wasn't exposed to tumblr back then, but i didn't hear age gap complaints about, for example, Katara(Who's like what, 14?) ending up with that old, 100 y.o. fart, Aang.
On a side note: I don't like this argument because it can also be spun around to justify that old trope in manga/anime, that it's totally okay to sexualize characters looking like they're not even teenagers, because "oh it's ok, she's in fact 1000 years old!".
thats just one part of it though

you still have people pointing out how it doesnt fit thematically, or that it feels rushed (since ashi was a feral child assassin like 3 episodes ago) or that it doesn't make sense to give Jack a third act love interest in the 11th hour of the plot for no other reason than to reward him for the stuff he's been through

I mean how long has it been in-universe since Jack fought the Daughters of Aku? because it feels like just a week ago since the girls were so sheltered they didn't even know what deer were. Or what kissing was. They thought that two deer kissing were trying to kill eachtother.

seeing Ashi go from "Laura from Wolverine" to fully functional adult in 5 seconds feels like a massive waste of plot in a series that previously focused on it. basically, it feels like the worst kind of fanfiction (in a revival thats been 90% fanfiction)
And again the blame lies entirely on the fact that they had 10 episodes to work with each 30 min long and the stories and arcs this introduced deserves at least 20 or 30 episodes at least or 10-20 episodes but each are an Hour Long.

Like why did they fast forward 50 years, we have to assume what Jack went through that made him became a depressed and suicidal person.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I don't have any strong feelings about Jack and Ashi getting together, I truly don't.

But my sister and I were laughing about what they're gonna tell their kids if they ask how mom and dad met.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Extra-Ordinary said:
I don't have any strong feelings about Jack and Ashi getting together, I truly don't.

But my sister and I were laughing about what they're gonna tell their kids if they ask how mom and dad met.
"And after Jack killed all of my sisters we were swallowed by a giant beast"

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
PapaGreg096 said:
Extra-Ordinary said:

Then I killed my mother.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I was kinda disappointed at first, hoping for a sort of father-daughter/mentor-student relationship... but I've mellowed out a bit. (And they both have a reason to be awkward about their relationship)... I do agree that this season feels a bit rushed, though. Makes me worried how the finale is going to turn out...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CrazyGirl17 said:
I was kinda disappointed at first, hoping for a sort of father-daughter/mentor-student relationship... but I've mellowed out a bit. (And they both have a reason to be awkward about their relationship)... I do agree that this season feels a bit rushed, though. Makes me worried how the finale is going to turn out...
I think one of the biggest mistake they did was fast forwarding 50 years with barely an explination.

Who knows what happened in those 50 years that made Jack as he is today and the resolution with the Horsemen that stalked Jack had the worse possible resolutuion ever. Jack just straight up one shot him and the end his depression, his suicidal thought, gone.

And that is what makes it so sad because it was such an interesting concept. I made the mistake of watching a speculation video and the person had much more interesting ideas than what transpired.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I kinda wish we saw more of Jack using modern weapons, I don't know I can still see him using a pistol or something

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
inu-kun said:
Samtemdo8 said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
I think one of the biggest mistake they did was fast forwarding 50 years with barely an explination.

Who knows what happened in those 50 years that made Jack as he is today and the resolution with the Horsemen that stalked Jack had the worse possible resolutuion ever. Jack just straight up one shot him and the end his depression, his suicidal thought, gone.

And that is what makes it so sad because it was such an interesting concept. I made the mistake of watching a speculation video and the person had much more interesting ideas than what transpired.
They did leave a big gap in the episode numbering so it's not impossible to bridge it if the demand for more was very high.
And 2nd is the plots they did introduce I feel they had wasted Opportunity.

The Horsemen that stalked Jack could have had a better story than just "Grim-Reaper for Failures" like this guy in youtube said the horsemen represents Jack himself in that its Jack who is comferatable in living in this world, he's given up on fighting Aku and decides to just live his life as a badass warlord. But again that's the problem with Speculation, you come up with cooler things than what the creators actually intend.

And again the final confrontation with Ashi's mother could have been so much better, it should have been a whole episode on its own. With both Jack and Ashi confronting her. And an expliantion as to who she is and why.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
I disagree, I think the horseman worked far better as a vague demon vision. When it become literal, and he started fighting it, and Ashi could see it, the figure suddenly became less interesting.

The way The Bruce Lee Story did it (which is almost the exact same) was far better imo, where it unexpectedly bursts him into vision that is apparently real, but in the context of the movie, isn't.

ref for people who haven't seen it -

They sort of done this with his "bad karma" Jack, but the lazor beams was abit easy. In the Bruce Lee scene there is a sense of menace and threat.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Look at this image and what do you see?

Exactly what was telegraphed two episodes ago?

Oct 22, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
MrCalavera said:
erttheking said:
snip
sniperoo
TBF, we don't know how much time Ashi have spent looking for Jack.
But, yeah, it did feel rushed, just like this entire overarching plot from ep. 4 onwards. Barring subtle hints before that, entire romance exposition was dumped into this last ep. I can agree with people that criticize this from bad/rushed writing standpoint. The rest though... it's just people's personal opinions on what's gross, for me.
PapaGreg096 said:
Extra-Ordinary said:

"And after i killed all of her sisters, i wasn't exactly left with a choice. And that's how i met your mother."

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
20 mins until next episode.

After how rushed this season was so far and how the quality dipped low since Episode 3 I am worried than excited now.

Good Greif Episode 2 and 3 were amazing. What happened?

4. Was alright but felt filler-ish.

5. Was the start of the pacing issues.

6. Dissapointed me with unfufilling resolution of the Horsemen that Stalked Jack, also fucking Scaramouche eating up valuable screentime.

7. Had the other unfufilling resolution of Ashi's Mother.

8. Eh looking back its not that bad but it felt filler-ish.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Holy shit, I did not see that ending coming... Poor Ashi...

Samtemdo8 said:
So do you guys think the Finale will be a Glorious Happy ending or bittersweet ending?
I'd prefer the happy ending, though a bittersweet ending that's more sweet than bitter would be fine. On the bright side, at least Samurai Jack is even getting an ending. That's more than Symbionic Titan got. Or Young Justice. Or the Thundercats reboot. Or Green Lantern the Animated series. Or Transformers Animated...

...God I hate network executives.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Samtemdo8 said:
20 mins until next episode.

After how rushed this season was so far and how the quality dipped low since Episode 3 I am worried than excited now.

Good Greif Episode 2 and 3 were amazing. What happened?
This was kind of inevitable honestly. From what I can tell, Genndy only has one season to get everything sorted for a Seris finale, and he only has about 12 episodes to do it in.

In all honesty, it would probably flow a bit better if you marathoned it or edited it down to resemble a movie (which was the original plan if I recall correctly.)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CrazyGirl17 said:
...Holy shit, I did not see that ending coming... Poor Ashi...

Samtemdo8 said:
So do you guys think the Finale will be a Glorious Happy ending or bittersweet ending?
I'd prefer the happy ending, though a bittersweet ending that's more sweet than bitter would be fine. Though at least Samurai Jack is even getting an ending. That's more than Symbionic Titan got. Or Young Justice. Or the Thundercats reboot. Or the good Teen Titans cartoon. Or Green Lantern the Animated series. Or Transformers Animated...

...God I hate network executives.
Teen Titans technically did had an ending, the Raven story arc. The Doom Patrol/Beast Boy arc felt unnecasary.

But Sym-Bionic Titan still hurts, and has a villain that's arguably even worse than Aku.