TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
shrekfan246 said:
altnameJag said:
EDITEDIT: "Temporal Stasis", sheesh. DC is literally going back in time to revert the New 52.
Technically speaking, at least of what I've read so far, they're just wrapping bits of the pre-Flashpoint universe back into the New 52 universe.

Because that doesn't make things hilariously convoluted or anything.
You know, DC always manages to exceed my expectations.

Zontar said:
altnameJag said:
Jesus Christ, Zontar, would it kill you to use up to date statistics?
Oh boy, those numbers are... pretty much the exact same as the ones I used, maybe off by 1 or 2%.
Or 6%, if you're counting number of copies sold, but who's counting?
It could just be that the shrinking physical comics media is simply converting to a digital format, like VHS, DVD, and the like before.
It could be, but assuming that would be making quite a large assumption. Digital comics aren't exactly all the rage with those who read them, the medium is one where if you ask any buyer you're much, much more likely then not to get someone who almost exclusively buys physical copies. Most people don't seem to be aware digital comics distribution even exists, and those that do from what I've seen are comic book fans who want to have a physical copy.
Fun thing about numbers: if the overall size of the market is shrinking, but your market share keeps rising, that means your numbers aren't falling as fast as your competitors, if at all. That's generally a good thing. If Marvel's continuing usage of non-white, non-male legacy heroes were a cause of the entire market shrinking, their market share would be plummeting. And it isn't.
Until the numbers start being released we will never know how much of the industry is digital, only that the whole industry is worth less then your typical Marvel blockbuster's gross.
Your typical Marvel blockbuster's gross is a billion dollars. And until numbers start being released, how do we know digital sales aren't worth that much in total? Do you actually intend on providing any kind of source or are you just taking "Marvel is dead in the water" on faith and feels?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Yah... the hair seems to stretch the suspension of disbelief, doesn't it? Which is saying something, considering this is a damn comic book.
It won't be the first time we see something like that.

Casual Shinji said:
My first thought at reading the thread title was 'Are they gonna give the iron suit boobs?' We know how much geek fiction just loves its breast plates.
Looking at Rescue (multiple versions), probably. I also think there would be much outrage if they didn't. Even though she's like, fifteen.

altnameJag said:
Sheesh, why all the hate for legacy characters? Barry Allen was awesome, Wally West was awesome, Tim Drake and Stephonie Brown were awesome, pick a Green Lantern and they were awesome, etc, etc, etc.
Only certain legacy characters. Not that I can see any sort of connection for the outrage. >.>

<..>

shrekfan246 said:
I mean, shit, like, imagine what would happen if Spider-Man became Spider-Woman? The mind shudders to even think! Or if Heimdall was black! Inconceivable! And don't even get me started on the idea of a woman being able to wield Mjolnir. HAH! As if!
Well, I mean, it'd be okay if a woman could LIFT Thor's hammer, but if she were to actually be able to have access to Thor's powers and titles, that would be a problem. Why, I'd have to selectively forget the time this happened to a dude in canon continuity so that I could be pretend outraged by the fact that it can't happen, I'd be so stunned.

Fortunately, that would never happen.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
altnameJag said:
Fun thing about numbers: if the overall size of the market is shrinking, but your market share keeps rising, that means your numbers aren't falling as fast as your competitors, if at all. That's generally a good thing.
It's not as bad of a thing, let's not pretend it's a good thing to see revenue and sales go down.
If Marvel's continuing usage of non-white, non-male legacy heroes were a cause of the entire market shrinking, their market share would be plummeting. And it isn't.
It's not the act of having non-white, non-male legacy heroes that's the cause of the downturn, it's the lack of having good writing and an inability to retain readers who look into these gimmicks while driving away readers using these gimmicks.
r typical Marvel blockbuster's gross is a billion dollars. And until numbers start being released, how do we know digital sales aren't worth that much in total? Do you actually intend on providing any kind of source or are you just taking "Marvel is dead in the water" on faith and feels?
Given how Marvel Comics has reported between 200 and 250 million USD in revenue for the past few years, I have my doubts that the digital side of the comic book industry is worth a billion dollars. In fact it seems the number's don't put the entire industry at a billion dollar one if their revenue claims are correct.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
altnameJag said:
shrekfan246 said:
altnameJag said:
EDITEDIT: "Temporal Stasis", sheesh. DC is literally going back in time to revert the New 52.
Technically speaking, at least of what I've read so far, they're just wrapping bits of the pre-Flashpoint universe back into the New 52 universe.

You know, DC always manages to exceed my expectations.
Yeah, especially when you remember that the whole point of the New 52 was to make things less complicated.

I mean, I still kinda prefer DC's comics over Marvel's, but they're really floundering on how they should actually handle things these days.

(Of course, depending on how one feels about DC in general "these days" could effectively mean anything.)

Something Amyss said:
shrekfan246 said:
I mean, shit, like, imagine what would happen if Spider-Man became Spider-Woman? The mind shudders to even think! Or if Heimdall was black! Inconceivable! And don't even get me started on the idea of a woman being able to wield Mjolnir. HAH! As if!
Well, I mean, it'd be okay if a woman could LIFT Thor's hammer, but if she were to actually be able to have access to Thor's powers and titles, that would be a problem. Why, I'd have to selectively forget the time this happened to a dude in canon continuity so that I could be pretend outraged by the fact that it can't happen, I'd be so stunned.

Fortunately, that would never happen.
It's a good thing that everybody knows women can't harness the powers of the god of thunder.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:

It's comics. There's so much continuity that even Hindsight Lad has a convoluted history.

I just wish they didn't get Watchmen involved in this.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
JoJo said:
Silentpony said:
Also how is the fact they gave her an afro not racist? That's African America caricature shit.
Showing one stereotypical trait isn't anything to consider racist, plenty of real black people do have afros. Now on the other hand if she was also eating a watermelon and some fried chicken, then you might have a problem...
I do also see hoop earings so that's two stereotypes accounted for. I just hope that the writers aren't as stupid as the Fem Thor ones because that writing was atrocious and just made an edgy situation laughably bad.

Casual Shinji said:
My first thought at reading the thread title was 'Are they gonna give the iron suit boobs?' We know how much geek fiction just loves its breast plates.
They are "Iron Bumps" with Etheric beam locators!

What really gets my blood up though is there's only one true Iron Lady:

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
...Why?

Saelune said:
This isn't like Spider-Man or Ms. Marvel, so I'm not going to flip out like I usually do, but it is a bit on the nose with the clear history of over-progressiveness. Is she a lesbian too?
I will not rest until Iron Man is a gay latino male with sexy hair and the suit has a Mexican flag as a cape!
PapaGreg096 said:
Because unfournetly black spiderman sells better than the Runaways
And that's just sad.
Silentpony said:
Also how is the fact they gave her an afro not racist? That's African America caricature shit.
How is that racist? It's a caricature for once being an actually popular hair style among blacks and still somewhat is today? Does this mean black characters can't have an Afro ever again? If anything, that's racist.
JoJo said:
Showing one stereotypical trait isn't anything to consider racist, plenty of real black people do have afros. Now on the other hand if she was also eating a watermelon and some fried chicken, then you might have a problem...
But does that mean black characters can't ever eat watermelon and fried chicken ever again?

#blackfoodrightsmatter

Jux said:
As much as I'm liking the more diverse cast, let's get more diverse writers and artists too.
As long as we're not hiring them solely for their skin color. Because that's still racism, and we don't want to be racist in any direction, right?

...Right?
Mordant221 said:

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
It's a good thing that everybody knows women can't harness the powers of the god of thunder.
On a more serious note, it never ceases to amaze me how many complaints there were that Idris Elba as Heimdal and Thor, Goddess of Thunder were to people with actual Norse beliefs. I mean, apparently, it's okay to say that foolish primitive humans got everything wrong, as long as the gods are both white and male.

Also, nobody was really concerned that Stargate made Thor a three foot tall grey alien who liked to grope Sam Carter.

Oh shit, Heimdall was a girl in that. Run, before the "totally not sexist, but" folks find out!

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Something Amyss said:
On a more serious note, it never ceases to amaze me how many complaints there were that Idris Elba as Heimdal and Thor, Goddess of Thunder were to people with actual Norse beliefs. I mean, apparently, it's okay to say that foolish primitive humans got everything wrong, as long as the gods are both white and male.

Also, nobody was really concerned that Stargate made Thor a three foot tall grey alien who liked to grope Sam Carter.

Oh shit, Heimdall was a girl in that. Run, before the "totally not sexist, but" folks find out!
Honestly I'd watch a film in which every single part was played by Idris Elba.

OT: Cool, good luck to them what with the tidal wave of angry nerd boy shit that's bound to be rolling their way. I wish them all the best. But at the moment I don't really care much about comics. Mostly because I end up forgetting to pick them up. Meh. I just watch the films like a filthy casual.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Something Amyss said:
shrekfan246 said:

It's comics. There's so much continuity that even Hindsight Lad has a convoluted history.

I just wish they didn't get Watchmen involved in this.
I've seen the pin, but I'm about a month behind so I'm not sure if they've followed this up at all; have they actually introduced any of the Watchmen characters yet or are they planning to? 'Cause yeah, that's extra tone-deaf even for DC. Not that I'd be surprised anymore, since they put in the Batman and Superman analogs from WildStorm... into a universe that had Batman and Superman... (though, for the record, I did quite enjoy what they eventually did with Midnighter, especially once he started interacting with Dick Grayson.)

Something Amyss said:

Well, it's totes different when the Asgardians are alie-wait...

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Every time someone complains anime has no new ideas I am reminded of these things american comics do. At least Nagato Yuki and Ramlethal Valentine and a bunch of other clones we not literally named Ayanami Rei. lol

K12

Dec 28, 2012
This is clearly testing ground for the MCU in preperation for when Robert Downey Jr. decides he has enough money and quits. I'm all for giving this a shot and seeing how it works out but then I'm not one of the neo-phobic mega nerds who's afraid of change... anyway it's a fucking comic book so if it isn't very good it'll get cancelled and retconned out of existence anyway.

As far as the standard "why do we have to change existing characters, can't we just have a new one" argument that always comes up. It IS a new character: "Riri Williams". It's just a familiar costume which makes perfect sense since it's a suit and Tony Stark has no real powers. It's not like someone else coincidentally acquired the same powers as another hero just as that hero dies so it's less contrived that Miles Morales and he turned out great.

The reason they're doing a replacement is because if Iron Man and a new Iron Man-like character are running simultaneously the latter is unlikely to be given a decent shot when readers have an established Iron Man comic already running. It's a creative decision made for a business reason which kind of sucks but then... that's comic books for you. There is literally nothing stopping Tony Stark from getting back in the suit once Riri Williams establishes herself with a decent fanbase to keep her going... and it will totally happen.

Also I really hope she gets called "Iron Maiden" rather than "Iron Woman".

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Huh...I almost panicked for a second there. The term "Iron woman" made me think of Thatcher's nickname "Iron lady," which in turn divided into two thought directions. The first being of Thatcher in an iron suit playing a twisted villain, the second being that maybe Theresa May did win the leadership vote and has been coined "Iron woman" as a homage to the former old bat. She can have an iron suit too. It'll be hilarious, trust me. Until the genocide starts.

Am quite relieved it's just a fiesty new Marvel character. *Phew!* Now i'll just take my leave before getting splashed in the eyes by steaming pools of boiling tinterweb piss.
I'm starting to think of Theresa May as being like the "Kylo Ren" to Margaret Thatcher's "Darth Vader". Maybe she'll start carrying around handbags with two silly looking little handbags sticking out the side.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
K12 said:
but then I'm not one of the neo-phobic mega nerds who's afraid of change
I don't think it's so much change as much as the fact it's change coming from a group who have proven themselves incompetent at handling such change time and time again, thus making any assumptions that the change will be anything but shit being one that is irrational given the evidence at hand.

Change isn't bad, but change that has a 100% chance of being a step down from what was there before is.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
You know a woman being Ironman actually is a pretty great idea. Bear with me for a moment.

It's great for hiding a secret identity. People in universe would assume the new Iron Man is a man, even if it's not Tony Stark. The suit can change the voice and there's no reason why the armour would have to appear feminine if piloted by a woman.

Something like this happened when the deaf ninja echo disguised herself as a male vigilante Ronin. But here it makes even more sense because voice and physique are hidden.

Edit: I mean it's not like Thor, where Jane Foster took the dudes first name. Not a code-name. I like a lot of these changes. Sam Wilson captain. Miles Morales. But that always felt off.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Honestly, I thought she was going to be the new War Machine from a lot of the civil war II art.

Pretty sure this will lead to something big and interesting, regardless of the resentment people have for pandering that is really unavoidable.

I figure by the time all this is said and done, Stark will be iron man again, and we might have a more successful version of Rescue.

And yeah, that hair, while pretty awesome, it raises so many questions in how it interacts with the helmet. I don't even know where to begin.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Yeah, definitely makes more sense than 'Thor'.

Could be fun.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
She's a girl but she identifies as male so it's OK.

I wonder which Marvel character will become transsexual.
My guess is the Hulk.