Say hello to the new Iron Woman

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
So, it's another lazy rehash of an existing character with an replacement character twist like we've seen thousands of times now instead of coming up with a cool, novel new character and just leaving the old one alone/having them die/retire/stopfreakingmakingitforeveralready.

Yep, sounds about right for Marvel/DC. Sigh.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
OT: I'm just happy that it's an entirely new character. One of my biggest disappointments of Marvel was the fact that the mystery identity of She-Thor was Thor's fucking girlfriend. Like, out of all the people on Earth, the only one who was morally 'worthy' enough to wield his hammer was the girl he was boning?
Well, you could say she's already had practice wielding his hammer. Hur hur.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Vanilla ISIS said:
She's a girl but she identifies as male so it's OK.

I wonder which Marvel character will become transsexual.
My guess is the Hulk.
I'd take Trans-Hulk over whatever the hell this thing is.

K12 said:
This is clearly testing ground for the MCU in preperation for when Robert Downey Jr. decides he has enough money and quits.
Not really a 'when is it going to happen,' but 'when did it happen?' His contract has had a solid ending date for ages, and presumably they had to shove gold bricks down his pants like he was the most expensive stripper in the universe to get him to extend the contract and add Civil War in.

All the Marvel guys have expiration dates, and some of them are coming up sooner then you'd think. Hell, Chris Evans, who's arguably more popular then Downey currently, has openly offered to stay on longer without a huge salary bump, and they turned him down.

Something Amyss said:
Also, nobody was really concerned that Stargate made Thor a three foot tall grey alien who liked to grope Sam Carter.

Oh shit, Heimdall was a girl in that. Run, before the "totally not sexist, but" folks find out!
Stargate Thor is the best Thor, and the inevitable exclusion of the little grey guy from the new movies saddens me a great deal.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Marvel: Now catering directly to Souplex's fetishes.
...Please tell me she keeps the fro even though it would be inconvenient in a helmet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phasmal said:
Honestly I'd watch a film in which every single part was played by Idris Elba.
Seriously. I support more Idris Elba roles because he's Idris Elba.

I just watch the films like a filthy casual.
The films have the benefit of being more straightforward, too. While there are technically crossovers and an overall continuity, you don't even really need to watch any other movie to enjoy the two Avengers movies, while backstories and plots for comics get...dense. This is why I like the idea behind the Ultimate line or the New 52, but not so much the execution of either. Comics tend to have long publication histories. Sometimes going back to WW2. Often times having all sorts of golden and silver age weirdness attached to them (hey, Superman, remember when you could shoot miniature versions of yourself from your hand? And people thought that S-cellophane was weird in Superman 2!). Due to the nature of comics, it'll take a long time before the movies could even possibly catch up, and the nature of movies makes it unlikely they will.

shrekfan246 said:
I've seen the pin, but I'm about a month behind so I'm not sure if they've followed this up at all; have they actually introduced any of the Watchmen characters yet or are they planning to? 'Cause yeah, that's extra tone-deaf even for DC. Not that I'd be surprised anymore, since they put in the Batman and Superman analogs from WildStorm... into a universe that had Batman and Superman... (though, for the record, I did quite enjoy what they eventually did with Midnighter, especially once he started interacting with Dick Grayson.)
I'll spoiler the next part, because it's apparently a major ongoing deal:

Apparently, the New 52 universe was made by Doctor Manhattan. As far as I know, they haven't outright said it yet, but there are implications going on and they use dialogue from the end of Watchmen as they end at least one of the comics. I think that was rebirth, though, so that may be part of what you're up on.

The short answer is: probably.

I might check it out down the line, but very little of the New 52 interested me, so I'm not all that concerned.

I mean, this isn't the first time another continuity has been folded in, and adding Wildstorm was potentially interesting, but I didn't care about them much back in the 90s, so....

Well, it's totes different when the Asgardians are alie-wait...
XD

Maybe you specifically have to be aliens from outer space.

Dreiko said:
Every time someone complains anime has no new ideas I am reminded of these things american comics do. At least Nagato Yuki and Ramlethal Valentine and a bunch of other clones we not literally named Ayanami Rei. lol
And neither is she named Tony Stark. What's your point?

K12 said:
It's not like someone else coincidentally acquired the same powers as another hero just as that hero dies so it's less contrived that Miles Morales and he turned out great.
Except Miles is hardly the first person to develop Spider-Powers, which largely comes down to the whole bit where Pete's powers come directly from science most of the time. Yeah yeah, I know about the totem crap and Peter becoming a giant spider and giving birth to himself, but still. This is also a universe (the 1610 one specifically, but also the core one) where there are evidently multipler extant clones of Spider-Man, including Jessica Drew apparently literally being a gender swap.

Really, this is no more contrived than anything else in comics, including Stark repeatedly just deciding to stop being Iron Man as someone steps up. And honestly, I'm not sure how anyone who's ever read Spider-Man could think that a black guy getting Spider-Powers is worth even an eyebrow raise.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Something Amyss said:
I'll spoiler the next part, because it's apparently a major ongoing deal:

Apparently, the New 52 universe was made by Doctor Manhattan. As far as I know, they haven't outright said it yet, but there are implications going on and they use dialogue from the end of Watchmen as they end at least one of the comics. I think that was rebirth, though, so that may be part of what you're up on.
Psst, you missed the second part of your spoiler tag.
The short answer is: probably.

I might check it out down the line, but very little of the New 52 interested me, so I'm not all that concerned.

I mean, this isn't the first time another continuity has been folded in, and adding Wildstorm was potentially interesting, but I didn't care about them much back in the 90s, so....
Yeah, I remember that bit from the end of the main Rebirth issue, I'm just wondering if there's any information on them actually expanding further from there. Even I know that putting Watchmen characters into the mainstream DC universe is severely missing the point (though I could accept the one you mentioned simply because of his unique circumstances).

I think the New 52 was specifically geared to interest people like me, who were interested in comics but really didn't want to initially bother digging into the decades of history that was already present to try finding a decent place to jump in. So I was actually kind of a fan of most of the things that I read, and it annoys me that they're bringing the old continuity back into play just because it seems like they've run out of ideas for how to keep it going.

Well, it's totes different when the Asgardians are alie-wait...
XD

Maybe you specifically have to be aliens from outer space.
Yeah, that's it, inter-dimensional aliens aren't really aliens, right?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/fire_community.gif

It looks ok. She did stupid bullshit with tech that seems physically impossible? No wonder she's being pegged to pick up the Iron Man mantle.

Not a fan of the hair though. Women with long hair that wear helmets rarely works for me.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
If she keeps that hair it's either going to somehow be compressed into a helmet OR we get to see an "Iron Afro" which would be hilarious in my opinion.

mojoismydog77

Jun 30, 2013
Heroes are not created by their powers or even their virtues. They are created by hardship and tragity. Tony was not Iron Man until he was captured and his mentor killed, Peter Parker was not the hero we know as spider till after his uncle's death and Steve Rogers had to endure many hardships before he was worthy of the role of Captian America. Now you expect me to believe some 15-year old who recreated an Iron Man suit will be a hero. How is one going to relate to some who has the world handed to them on a silver platter? Fifteen, at MIT, probably on a scholarship what an underdog /sarc. My second qualm is that even with her 2nd rate suit she has no combative experience whats so ever. She lacks the tool to go toe to toe with any sort of half way decent villin. I have no issue with the race/gender swap but this is just not well executed.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
mojoismydog77 said:
Heroes are not created by their powers or even their virtues. They are created by hardship and tragity. Tony was not Iron Man until he was captured and his mentor killed, Peter Parker was not the hero we know as spider till after his uncle's death and Steve Rogers had to endure many hardships before he was worthy of the role of Captian America. Now you expect me to believe some 15-year old who recreated an Iron Man suit will be a hero. How is one going to relate to some who has the world handed to them on a silver platter? Fifteen, at MIT, probably on a scholarship what an underdog /sarc. My second qualm is that even with her 2nd rate suit she has no combative experience whats so ever. She lacks the tool to go toe to toe with any sort of half way decent villin. I have no issue with the race/gender swap but this is just not well executed.
Eh, that's been the same for a few bat-family sidekicks. She just needs to have one of her parents murdered, the other to remarry and them have them and their step parent murdered.

Then have an arc about how nobody likes her but grudgingly come to accept her.

Then reboot her out of existence just when she's gotten good.

Lacedaemonius

Mar 10, 2016
I don't care, it would depend on how the stories pan out. If they're good, then great, if they're pandering crap then no. That's not a judgement that can be made in psychic anticipation either, we all just get to wait and see.

mojoismydog77

Jun 30, 2013
Thaluikhain said:
mojoismydog77 said:
Heroes are not created by their powers or even their virtues. They are created by hardship and tragedy. Tony was not Iron Man until he was captured and his mentor killed, Peter Parker was not the hero we know as spider till after his uncle's death and Steve Rogers had to endure many hardships before he was worthy of the role of Captian America. Now you expect me to believe some 15-year old who recreated an Iron Man suit will be a hero. How is one going to relate to some who has the world handed to them on a silver platter? Fifteen, at MIT, probably on a scholarship what an underdog /sarc. My second qualm is that even with her 2nd rate suit she has no combative experience whats so ever. She lacks the tool to go toe to toe with any sort of half way decent villain. I have no issue with the race/gender swap but this is just not well executed.
Eh, that's been the same for a few bat-family sidekicks. She just needs to have one of her parents murdered, the other to remarry and them have them and their step parent murdered.

I guess you are right but I feel like all the bat-family sidekicks have at least had some sort of hardship. I may regret saying this but this girl is uber privleged. Instead of forging her own path she just copied another's.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
mojoismydog77 said:
Thaluikhain said:
mojoismydog77 said:
Heroes are not created by their powers or even their virtues. They are created by hardship and tragedy. Tony was not Iron Man until he was captured and his mentor killed, Peter Parker was not the hero we know as spider till after his uncle's death and Steve Rogers had to endure many hardships before he was worthy of the role of Captian America. Now you expect me to believe some 15-year old who recreated an Iron Man suit will be a hero. How is one going to relate to some who has the world handed to them on a silver platter? Fifteen, at MIT, probably on a scholarship what an underdog /sarc. My second qualm is that even with her 2nd rate suit she has no combative experience whats so ever. She lacks the tool to go toe to toe with any sort of half way decent villain. I have no issue with the race/gender swap but this is just not well executed.

I guess you are right but I feel like all the bat-family sidekicks have at least had some sort of hardship. I may regret saying this but this girl is uber privleged. Instead of forging her own path she just copied another's.
So was Tim Drake. Hell, Bruce Wayne as well. A few murders will solve everything.

Alternatively, they could be "edgy" and have her sexually assaulted into a heroine. Hopefully they'll avoid this.

mojoismydog77

Jun 30, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
mojoismydog77 said:

well its a good thing we know absolutely nothing about her outside of her name, where she goes to school, and something involving iron man armor

wouldn't want to rush to conclusions by filling in massive gaps with our own tainted preconceptions would we
You have a very valid point especially on the tragedy (most due to lack of knowledge) part, however, I have to hold firm on the combat argument. How is a 15-year-old who must have invested a lot of time to her pursuit of knowledge (which is a perfectly noble thing to do) going told hold up toe to toe with Iron Man's rich library of villains? I am concerned that the writers will nerf the villains to make her appear more powerful. I hope that Marvel makes me eat my words in a few months, I really do.

mojoismydog77

Jun 30, 2013
Thaluikhain said:
mojoismydog77 said:
Thaluikhain said:
mojoismydog77 said:

So was Tim Drake. Hell, Bruce Wayne as well. A few murders will solve everything.

Alternatively, they could be "edgy" and have her sexually assaulted into a heroine. Hopefully they'll avoid this.
Good point. I don't think Marvel will go down that path. They have hopefully learned from past mistakes and this would definitely go against the general tone most of their comics have right now.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
erttheking said:
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/fire_community.gif

It looks ok. She did stupid bullshit with tech that seems physically impossible? No wonder she's being pegged to pick up the Iron Man mantle.

Not a fan of the hair though. Women with long hair that wear helmets rarely works for me.
Hey now we can commonly argue the "politics" of these all day and like reasonable human beings.

But is you insult the hair there will be problems.

Joking but I say just make some nanomachine nonsense and call it a day.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Anyone remember in the 90's when all the superheroes were dying and being replaced with "Darker" and "More Xtreme" versions, I feel we've come to that sorta era, and I believe the same thing will happen. The old versions will return with the new versions sticking around in support roles if they get popular. As said before she'll probably end up as an Iron Woman.

That said Iron man is the best suited (no pun intended) to having these sorts of changes to the person behind the mask. Though I would hope this new character is at least somewhat intelligent as that is a major part of iron man.

These sorts of changes are made to generated traffic, clicks and news stories it's all about publicity and I just wished these stunts were a few more crazy things and a few less revamped characters they think we'd like.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Something Amyss said:
shrekfan246 said:
Technically speaking, at least of what I've read so far, they're just wrapping bits of the pre-Flashpoint universe back into the New 52 universe.

Because that doesn't make things hilariously convoluted or anything.
It's comics. There's so much continuity that even Hindsight Lad has a convoluted history.

I just wish they didn't get Watchmen involved in this.
Wait, how did they manage to get Watchmen involved in this?