Say hello to the new Iron Woman

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
I feel like the opportunity for a name change to Iron Maiden has been missed...
To be fair, this would very likely involve legal battles.

Xsjadoblayde said:
I'm just going to add, for future reference, you can easily tie afros/extreme curly hair back, it isn't, and never will be a problem that cannot be solved with water and a scrunchy. It's almost like people never had hair before. Now if the afro was shorter, it might have been trickier. But it isn't. Hope that clears up some repetition here. :)
I suspect it's more that people are looking for a reason to complain about her.

Though a predominantly white, male audience might be less likely to have dealt with hair issues,. so....

Happyninja42 said:
I'm not even a fan of Iron Maiden, but if she changed her name to that, I would love her forever just for the humor value of it. xD
They should have done it for Speedball, since his Penance getup was essentially one already.

Raddra said:
Wonder how long it'll last before Tony Stark does a Stark and smashes her stuff or implants a bomb in her head/suit or does something else scummish to ruin her career or push her to the background. Its something of a character trend with him.
Yeah, Tony's kind of an asshole.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
I'm just going to add, for future reference, you can easily tie afros/extreme curly hair back, it isn't, and never will be a problem that cannot be solved with water and a scrunchy. It's almost like people never had hair before. Now if the afro was shorter, it might have been trickier. But it isn't. Hope that clears up some repetition here. :)

Something Amyss said:
AccursedTheory said:
Stargate Thor is the best Thor, and the inevitable exclusion of the little grey guy from the new movies saddens me a great deal.
The fact that Roland Emerich and Dean Devlin are in charge sadden me in general. It means pretty much all the good stuff about Stargate is going to be absent from these movies. I know they were behind the original, but they're not what made me a Stargate fan.

Ah well. I have my DVDs, like three ways to stream, and digital backups. It's not the end of the world. Though technically, it is the end of the SG-1 universe. >.>
Yah...

And yes, I know... 'We still have the old stuff we love.' All the same... something sad about the entire universe being trashed. It's not even like Star Wars, where the core material still counts - It's like if they rebooted Star Wars, but the only thing they kept was the lightsabers.

Something Amyss said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Would it, though? Pretty sure Iron Maidens predate the band (Though their still not as old as people used to claim).

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Silentpony said:
Uuuhhh.

You know at this point the obvious panda-throwing to Tumblr in a desperate effort not to be trending the next day on Twitter is getting kinda' old. And the worst part is none of the people they're trying to appeal don't actually read comics. Otherwise they'd know comic continuity and characters are about as solid and consistent as gender-fluid water.

I mean look what happened when they pulled that 'female Thor' shenanigans. Nothing. Nothing happened. Talk show hosts gabbed for a day and a half, no one read the comics, and then it turns out she's not really Thor.

Though I guess we should be glad she's not a dog to appeal to the PETA people again. Woof.

Also how is the fact they gave her an afro not racist? That's African America caricature shit.
Female Thor's been selling quite well. I'd say people did read the book.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I can't wait for people to lose their shit over this. Anyone can wear the suit though. But there's still only one Tony Stark.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Agent_Z said:
Yup, Thor, Monstress, The Vision, and pretty much everything Star Wars are all pick ups for me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Would it? Was there a big legal battle between Iron Man and Black Sabbath for the song? I don't remember one. Granted I didn't really pay much attention to that kind of stuff, but it seemed to be a fairly mutual thing on that angle.

Happyninja42 said:
Now I'm picturing in some Rob Leifeld getup inspired Iron Man suit, fighting crime while wearing leather and metal studs. Holy shit I want this to happen! XD

xD
Something Amyss said:
They should have done it for Speedball, since his Penance getup was essentially one already.
I don't know who that is but I'll take your word for it! Still, I just find the mental image of this 15 year old girl in a badass power suit, rocking out to Iron Maiden as she comes swooping in to save the day and kick ass incredibly satisfying. I have no idea if it would actually happen, but it makes me giggle in my head. xD

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
IceStar100 said:
Is it just me or are they race and gender swapping everyone now. Seem more like pandering then trying to make interesting stories.
In this issue, Captain America is now Captain Nazi! In this issue, Iron Man is now Iron Lady! And so on.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
> even more resourceful than Stark himself

>college student

>somehow fit a workshop into a dorm room

>somehow afford a workshop instead of scrimping for ramen money

>roommate doesn't scream at her for littering and noise

>the college doesn't sue her for stealing whatever limited magic dust they use for power

She'd have to be more resourceful than a billionaire with multiple security clearances, yeah.

Also not mentioned, Tony's narcissism, OCD and alcoholism that drove the people closest to him away (reminder that Pepper eventually chose Happy). But women are perfect with no character flaws, amirite?

Seriously though, She's a 15 year old going to a top college in her field, can make a robot suit out of crap that's just laying around and she has to steal to get the resources?? The frick did the school bring in the 15 year old genius to do if not to give her crap to build things like this? If she's not going to utilize the huge advantage that going to a university like that at her age what's the point of adding that to her character? Why not just have her be in high school, start sneaking into the college to building the thing, and then get drafted to Stark University or something?

Heck, Doctor Doom did the same thing! Victor was given resources to make US patents before he blew up his face and a wing of the school.

Amadeus Cho was living on the lam because his parents were killed by people trying to track him down. One of his things is that he doesn't trust anybody and needed a father figure in Hulk or Hercules.

Riri is given resources, yet is still artificially oppressed in this narrative so they can make a statement about a black girl who overcomes. The fact that she stole pieces of other peoples' projects to make her brilliant invention makes her less sympathetic than the Romani polymath or the Korean math genius who got in trouble for hacking government codes.

Also, what the heck is wrong with that drawing style? It's like they ripped some models from IMVU and put the XIII videogame shader over them. I don't like it, it looks cheap as crap. Also, Riri does NOT look like a frigging teenager.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Agent_Z said:
Silentpony said:
Uuuhhh.

You know at this point the obvious panda-throwing to Tumblr in a desperate effort not to be trending the next day on Twitter is getting kinda' old. And the worst part is none of the people they're trying to appeal don't actually read comics. Otherwise they'd know comic continuity and characters are about as solid and consistent as gender-fluid water.

I mean look what happened when they pulled that 'female Thor' shenanigans. Nothing. Nothing happened. Talk show hosts gabbed for a day and a half, no one read the comics, and then it turns out she's not really Thor.

Though I guess we should be glad she's not a dog to appeal to the PETA people again. Woof.

Also how is the fact they gave her an afro not racist? That's African America caricature shit.
Jux said:
Agent_Z said:
Yup, Thor, Monstress, The Vision, and pretty much everything Star Wars are all pick ups for me.
The comic with a Copy Pasted Thor head and Loki as Donald Trump is selling well?

Freaking A.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
I can't wait for people to lose their shit over this. Anyone can wear the suit though. But there's still only one Tony Stark.
This thread is a goldmine. Apparently, Riri is a racist caricature of a Mary Sue that's poorly written that's pandering to people who don't even read comics and is dooming Marvel as we speak.

Far as I know she hasn't been in a comic yet. It's glorious.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Actually, I just remembered something. This character is completely unecessasry because WE ALREADY HAD THIS FRIGGING CHARACTER, AND SHE WAS DONE BETTER!

So, to reiterate,

>Marvel already had this type of character

>character could have EASILY fit in better than Riri

>Bendis chooses to ignore canon so he can shoehorn in another OC that will disappear after this storyline is over

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Jux said:
Sonmi said:
Eh, I'm not sure I'd agree, the vast majority of comic book characters have enough flaws not to fit into the definition of a Sue/Stu.
Literally all we know about this new character is that shes a smart young black woman. If he can label her a mary sue based on that, you can just as easily apply the label wholesale.
Well, a lot of people seem to define "Mary Sue" as "any prominent halfway-competent female character" (c.f. Rey) so I guess by that definition, yes!

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
altnameJag said:
Adam Jensen said:
This thread is a goldmine. Apparently, Riri is a racist caricature of a Mary Sue that's poorly written that's pandering to people who don't even read comics and is dooming Marvel as we speak.

Far as I know she hasn't been in a comic yet. It's glorious.
She's actually been in the more recent Iron man comics. Thanks for proving the "people who don't read comics" part though!

As for my proof,

http://imgur.com/a/cE1If

(This page is already kind of IMG heavy. Just gonna leave a link to a bunch of pages.)

Also, Holy crap this art

That's just photos of the actual location with digital effects smeared on..

And they literally took a sceencap of the Movie Iron Man suit and chopped off a few parts to make it look like it was still being built

And look at the way all that scrap is perfectly aligned in the weirdest way. It looks like its all floating in space.

AND WHAT THE HECK IS WITH THESE FACES AND POSES?!

They are clearly just tracing over CGI models for crap's sake!

Wait, that armor's head...DID THEY TRACE OPTIMUS PRIME?!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
Actually, I just remembered something. This character is completely unecessasry because WE ALREADY HAD THIS FRIGGING CHARACTER, AND SHE WAS DONE BETTER!
Okay, stop. How could you possibly know this? Are you some kind of time traveler? Are you using this precious time travel technology to try and warn us about some butterfly effect shit where Riri being used as an Iron Man protege leads to some horrendous future tragedy?

Or could it just possibly be that there could be two very intelligent, tech invoked black ladies in the Marvel universe? I mean Christ, it could just be that Lila has no talent/interest in combat. *Gasp* They might even interact!
EDIT: alright, figured from the article that this was a couple months off yet. Still, looks good to me. Suit reminds me of Optimus Prime for some reason, I'll have to look at picking this up.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I really wish this stuff stayed in the comic book fandom like it used to. Now everyone thinks they have a dog in the fight when they really don't give a damn about the actual comic... they're just in it to win political points.

Iron Man being a woman is not a new concept nor should it be controversial for any reason at all. The only thing that annoys me is that it's not Pepper Potts. She has extensive experience using Iron Man suits (she had her own for years) and she's a fucking bad ass. I'd read a solo Pepper Iron Man book (never liked the name 'Rescue' though) in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Btw, someone call me when the Bendis era is finally over. He's been running Marvel's storytelling into the ground since 2005.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
EternallyBored said:
Marvel has tons of street level heroes who display nothing in the way of superscience intellect, but if you want to have someone hang with global and cosmic level heroes, "crude" isn't going to cut it. That's why she is at that level, because she is supposed to be hanging with the other high level teen heroes, the ones that can casually blow up city blocks, and go toe-to-toe with the adult heroes. You can't have a temporary Iron Man stand in subbing for street level heroics, if she was completely disconnected from Iron Man it may work, but Marvel already has tons of low level teams with street smarts and low tech armor. She wouldn't be able to team up with Ms. Marvel and the Miles Morales Spider-man if all she had was a crude Iron Man knockoff.

Especially with Civil War II which seems to be setting up the younger heroes as potentially giving the adult heroes the middle finger and ignoring their infighting to go form their own hero team, hopefully with Blackjack, and hookers.

Marvel science is fucked up, casual high school science fair projects include things like super efficient energy reactors, and building a controllable flying water bubble for a shark to ride around in. That's the kind of stuff teenagers build in the Marvel universe just to get into a good college.
To be fair, I've never seen why Iron Man is such a big deal himself (not having read the comics, I admit). He's a guy with (by and large) conventional weaponry, albeit attached to his body, in a bit of armour. Which makes him... a slightly more manoeuvrable tank? When you compare it to some of the other superheroes, it seems a little on the tame side.

Out of interest, anyone know why she appears to be wearing the reactor while she is outside of the suit? Because while there's a valid reason for Tony Stark to do it, it seems a little silly for her to have it there without any proper need...

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
altnameJag said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Okay, stop. How could you possibly know this? Are you some kind of time traveler? Are you using this precious time travel technology to try and warn us about some butterfly effect shit where Riri being used as an Iron Man protege leads to some horrendous future tragedy?

Or could it just possibly be that there could be two very intelligent, tech invoked black ladies in the Marvel universe? I mean Christ, it could just be that Lila has no talent/interest in combat. *Gasp* They might even interact!
Pattern recognition mostly. You can blame Fem Thor for this. Thor loses his hammer, and who gets to claim it? Sif? No. Valkyrie? No. It instead goes to Jane Foster who is using the hammer to stave off her cancer, even though she could've been CURED ENTIRELY before and she turned it down because "magic has a cost". Two established and worthy characters passed over for someone who's basically a massive hypocrite at this point.

And now here we have a character who's already well established, is familiar with the Iron Man Armor, and could actually work pretty well for an actual legacy, and she gets passed over for someone who's backstory is essentially a less sympathetic version of Dr. Doom's.

As for "Perhaps the characters will interact!" I REALLY doubt Bendis is even aware Lila even exists.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
altnameJag said:
Metalix Knightmare said:

Pattern recognition mostly. You can blame Fem Thor for this. Thor loses his hammer, and who gets to claim it? Sif? No. Valkyrie? No. It instead goes to Jane Foster who is using the hammer to stave off her cancer, even though she could've been CURED ENTIRELY before and she turned it down because "magic has a cost". Two established and worthy characters passed over for someone who's basically a massive hypocrite at this point.

And now here we have a character who's already well established, is familiar with the Iron Man Armor, and could actually work pretty well for an actual legacy, and she gets passed over for someone who's backstory is essentially a less sympathetic version of Dr. Doom's.

As for "Perhaps the characters will interact!" I REALLY doubt Bendis is even aware Lila even exists.
Well, okay. As long as you don't make a habit of accusing others they're hypersensitive and jumping to conclusions.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Fappy said:
To be fair, I've never seen why Iron Man is such a big deal himself (not having read the comics, I admit). He's a guy with (by and large) conventional weaponry, albeit attached to his body, in a bit of armour. Which makes him... a slightly more manoeuvrable tank? When you compare it to some of the other superheroes, it seems a little on the tame side.
Slightly more maneuverable...the dude can fly like a freaking fighter jet, and you call that "Slightly more maneuverable"!? Not to mention all the various crazy crap those suits of his can do! One of them is basically the T-1000 from Terminator 2!