Say hello to the new Iron Woman

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
altnameJag said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
altnameJag said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Actually, I just remembered something. This character is completely unecessasry because WE ALREADY HAD THIS FRIGGING CHARACTER, AND SHE WAS DONE BETTER!
>character could have EASILY fit in better than Riri
Okay, stop. How could you possibly know this? Are you some kind of time traveler? Are you using this precious time travel technology to try and warn us about some butterfly effect shit where Riri being used as an Iron Man protege leads to some horrendous future tragedy?

Or could it just possibly be that there could be two very intelligent, tech invoked black ladies in the Marvel universe? I mean Christ, it could just be that Lila has no talent/interest in combat. *Gasp* They might even interact!
Pattern recognition mostly. You can blame Fem Thor for this. Thor loses his hammer, and who gets to claim it? Sif? No. Valkyrie? No. It instead goes to Jane Foster who is using the hammer to stave off her cancer, even though she could've been CURED ENTIRELY before and she turned it down because "magic has a cost". Two established and worthy characters passed over for someone who's basically a massive hypocrite at this point.

And now here we have a character who's already well established, is familiar with the Iron Man Armor, and could actually work pretty well for an actual legacy, and she gets passed over for someone who's backstory is essentially a less sympathetic version of Dr. Doom's.

As for "Perhaps the characters will interact!" I REALLY doubt Bendis is even aware Lila even exists.
Well, okay. As long as you don't make a habit of accusing others they're hypersensitive and jumping to conclusions.
Hey, after what they did to Iceman, there's no such thing as jumping to conclusions with Marvel these days.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
So like....does this mean that comics under the name "Iron Man" won't be around then?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Catnip1024 said:
EternallyBored said:
Marvel has tons of street level heroes who display nothing in the way of superscience intellect, but if you want to have someone hang with global and cosmic level heroes, "crude" isn't going to cut it. That's why she is at that level, because she is supposed to be hanging with the other high level teen heroes, the ones that can casually blow up city blocks, and go toe-to-toe with the adult heroes. You can't have a temporary Iron Man stand in subbing for street level heroics, if she was completely disconnected from Iron Man it may work, but Marvel already has tons of low level teams with street smarts and low tech armor. She wouldn't be able to team up with Ms. Marvel and the Miles Morales Spider-man if all she had was a crude Iron Man knockoff.

Especially with Civil War II which seems to be setting up the younger heroes as potentially giving the adult heroes the middle finger and ignoring their infighting to go form their own hero team, hopefully with Blackjack, and hookers.

Marvel science is fucked up, casual high school science fair projects include things like super efficient energy reactors, and building a controllable flying water bubble for a shark to ride around in. That's the kind of stuff teenagers build in the Marvel universe just to get into a good college.
To be fair, I've never seen why Iron Man is such a big deal himself (not having read the comics, I admit). He's a guy with (by and large) conventional weaponry, albeit attached to his body, in a bit of armour. Which makes him... a slightly more manoeuvrable tank? When you compare it to some of the other superheroes, it seems a little on the tame side.

Out of interest, anyone know why she appears to be wearing the reactor while she is outside of the suit? Because while there's a valid reason for Tony Stark to do it, it seems a little silly for her to have it there without any proper need...
Tony hasn't needed the reactor in a long time in the comics, the visual change was because of the movie making it iconic again, so basically they both have it because movie Iron Man has it.

As for the Iron Man suit(s}, they haven't been conventional for decades. Tony's high end suits are literally nano-machine constructs that live inside his body and form his suit just by thinking about it. At the high end, his suits can launch an inexhaustible supply of missiles that range from normal missiles to WMD level destruction, fly into space, and launch energy blasts that can hurt high level entities. Among other things, he has internal nanomachines that make him super fast and able to think like a machine, as well as giving him regeneration on par with some mutants.

Iron Man has been basically running on Bullshit superscience for awhile now, some writers are worse with this than others, the highest end basically involves Tony treating his suits like Adam West Batman utility belts that he can just pull any weapon or power he wants to from them.

Actually, compared to current Iron Man, the suit that Riri (the new character) made, is actually a lot closer to what you were describing you wanted, it looks bulky and not nearly as agile, and breaks the first time she uses it. Compared to Iron Man's current armors, her suit is more like the movie Iron Man suits on capability level than it is the comics version of Iron Man.

EDIT:

I haven't seen it really linked yet, so here it is for comparison, Riri's suit versus Tony's current armor.

Like someone said, kind of looks like Optimus Prime, or a suit of Fallout power armor

Lupine

Apr 26, 2014
shrekfan246 said:
I eagerly await the storm of angry comments about how this is PC gone mad and Iron Man is perfect the way he is and anyway Man is in his name so how can he possibly be a woman.

Did I say "eagerly"? Oh. I meant "disappointingly".
The hilarious thing about that Iron Man is perfect the way he is, is that Tony was never like this until post RDJ Iron Man. Tony pre-movie was a rather different character. He could be arrogant yeah, but nothing like post movie. He also wasn't exactly jokey. But otherwise I agree with you. This had Internet overreaction/freakout written all over it. Especially while everyone pretends that this isn't something that Marvel does every years at this point. Oh and that they are too afraid to just go full DC and have a reboot.

Fappy said:
I really wish this stuff stayed in the comic book fandom like it used to. Now everyone thinks they have a dog in the fight when they really don't give a damn about the actual comic... they're just in it to win political points.

Iron Man being a woman is not a new concept nor should it be controversial for any reason at all. The only thing that annoys me is that it's not Pepper Potts. She has extensive experience using Iron Man suits (she had her own for years) and she's a fucking bad ass. I'd read a solo Pepper Iron Man book (never liked the name 'Rescue' though) in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Btw, someone call me when the Bendis era is finally over. He's been running Marvel's storytelling into the ground since 2005.
You sir, are my spirit animal. I don't think I've ever agreed with anything more in my life. And it is always people that obviously don't read comics that are the loudest about this stuff. And I mean either side of the argument, of for or against. And it is always the against guys that don't get the statement "Marvel does this stuff all the time." If I got a buck every time a mantle was passed around for a few arcs I'd be Tony Stark rich.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fappy said:
To be fair, I've never seen why Iron Man is such a big deal himself (not having read the comics, I admit). He's a guy with (by and large) conventional weaponry, albeit attached to his body, in a bit of armour. Which makes him... a slightly more manoeuvrable tank? When you compare it to some of the other superheroes, it seems a little on the tame side.
Pretty sure it's the Batman Effect. Regular Dude is able to go toe to toe with the Big Boys, due to his intellect and creativity...and a massive, bottomless bank account to fund all the shit he needs to actually compensate for being a regular human. The power fantasy of most nerds, that their intellect can literally make them a superhero. It's the Everyman scenario, sort of the same with why people like Ghostbusters so much. The idea that anybody off the street, with a little training and some equipment, can literally defeat the undead, and tell an ancient god to go fuck off, 'cause this is how we do things downtown!

That's why, I think, he's popular. That and the movies galvanizing him back into the public mindset revitalizing the series.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Metalix Knightmare said:
Agent_Z said:
Silentpony said:
Uuuhhh.

You know at this point the obvious panda-throwing to Tumblr in a desperate effort not to be trending the next day on Twitter is getting kinda' old. And the worst part is none of the people they're trying to appeal don't actually read comics. Otherwise they'd know comic continuity and characters are about as solid and consistent as gender-fluid water.

I mean look what happened when they pulled that 'female Thor' shenanigans. Nothing. Nothing happened. Talk show hosts gabbed for a day and a half, no one read the comics, and then it turns out she's not really Thor.

Though I guess we should be glad she's not a dog to appeal to the PETA people again. Woof.

Also how is the fact they gave her an afro not racist? That's African America caricature shit.
Female Thor's been selling quite well. I'd say people did read the book.
Jux said:
Agent_Z said:
Female Thor's been selling quite well. I'd say people did read the book.
Yup, Thor, Monstress, The Vision, and pretty much everything Star Wars are all pick ups for me.
The comic with a Copy Pasted Thor head and Loki as Donald Trump is selling well?

snipped images

Freaking A.
So, how many super villians have been rewritten to basically be Trump at this point? Is it all of them? It's beginning to feel a lot like all of them.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
EternallyBored said:
Tony hasn't needed the reactor in a long time in the comics, the visual change was because of the movie making it iconic again, so basically they both have it because movie Iron Man has it.

As for the Iron Man suit(s}, they haven't been conventional for decades. Tony's high end suits are literally nano-machine constructs that live inside his body and form his suit just by thinking about it. At the high end, his suits can launch an inexhaustible supply of missiles that range from normal missiles to WMD level destruction, fly into space, and launch energy blasts that can hurt high level entities. Among other things, he has internal nanomachines that make him super fast and able to think like a machine, as well as giving him regeneration on par with some mutants.

Iron Man has been basically running on Bullshit superscience for awhile now, some writers are worse with this than others, the highest end basically involves Tony treating his suits like Adam West Batman utility belts that he can just pull any weapon or power he wants to from them.

Actually, compared to current Iron Man, the suit that Riri (the new character) made, is actually a lot closer to what you were describing you wanted, it looks bulky and not nearly as agile, and breaks the first time she uses it. Compared to Iron Man's current armors, her suit is more like the movie Iron Man suits on capability level than it is the comics version of Iron Man.
Fair enough. Like I said, I haven't really paid much attention to the whole Iron Man franchise, that makes a little more sense now I don't take it solely in the context of the first movie (I got superhero fatigue shortly after that came out).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fappy said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Happyninja42 said:
Why did both of you attribute this quote to me???

Weird.
I just pulled it from his quote and removed his bit because I was responding to you (or what I thought was your post based on his quoting). Apparently the original source is incorrect, so disregard it, though my statement I feel is still accurate, just wrong source.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
EternallyBored said:

Well if that's the level of sophistication that Tony's suits currently impart to him, then there is even less of an issue with Riri taking over. If he's actually giving her the keys to the castle, so to speak, she's now going to have access to nano-tech to make her move faster/stronger, think faster, and basically be a walking powerhouse....just like Tony.

So...yeah, I have even less of an issue (didn't have an issue anyway, but you get the point), of someone taking Tony's place in the mantle of Iron Man. Given how pretty much all of his capability as a superhero comes from the suits themselves, having someone else in the suit doesn't really reduce the capability of the superhero, and she's got plenty of room to grow...just like Tony did at the start of his career.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Jarrito3001 said:
But I will address the elephant in the room. How does she stop helmet hair their is a logistics problem here that was very overlooked.
Unstable molecules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unstable_molecules

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
JustAnotherAardvark said:
Jarrito3001 said:
But I will address the elephant in the room. How does she stop helmet hair their is a logistics problem here that was very overlooked.
Unstable molecules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unstable_molecules
Considering how bulky that suit looks (thanks Metalix!), a scrunchy or some ergonomic consideration based on how the helmet gets put on would do the trick.

Still, I'll go with Unstable Molocules, because having a 15 year old MIT student rip those off would piss Reed Richards off to no end. It'd be hilarious.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
inu-kun said:
Also, "Riri is a science genius who enrolls in MIT at the age of 15. She comes to the attention of Tony when she builds her own Iron Man suit in her dorm. " Dear lord the amount of mary sue in 2 sentences.
I mean, Tony Stark built the first suit in a cave, so it's not exactly the most improbable thing. 'Joined [insert prestigious institute] at [insert improbably young age]' seems pretty par-for-the-course in terms of superhero backstories, especially for a tech-centric one. I really wish it wasn't though.

OT: I'm not really into comics or superheroes so I'm not really fussed either way. I mean, yeah, she really should have just been her own character (why do we need another shlub in power armour? Can people just not think of any other good tech-based abilities?) but it's not exactly uncommon or new to have an established identity or hero be taken up by a different character.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
McMarbles said:
Well, a lot of people seem to define "Mary Sue" as "any prominent halfway-competent female character" (c.f. Rey)
If Rey is considered a halfway competent female character, I'd hate to see what constitutes an incompetent one. The bar is evidently being set lower for female characters as well if that's the case as well, which is quite sexist in its own way given that pretty much every medium has shown itself to be home to great female characters who don't need to be graded using a different metric to male ones.

Areloch said:
So, how many super villians have been rewritten to basically be Trump at this point? Is it all of them? It's beginning to feel a lot like all of them.
It honestly makes me wonder how they're going to respond if he actually does win, since they have a history of keeping the real world president the same as that in the comics at the time (which is really weird in its results since it means there have been 6 elected presidents in the past 15 years of the setting)

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Zontar said:
McMarbles said:
Well, a lot of people seem to define "Mary Sue" as "any prominent halfway-competent female character" (c.f. Rey)
If Rey is considered a halfway competent female character, I'd hate to see what constitutes an incompetent one. The bar is evidently being set lower for female characters as well if that's the case as well, which is quite sexist in its own way given that pretty much every medium has shown itself to be home to great female characters who don't need to be graded using a different metric to male ones.
Considering all Rey has is the standard suite of Star Wars Protagonist powers, what would you consider a competent female character to look like?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Something Amyss said:
trunkage said:
Yes but Thor wasn't female in Stargate so it's all okay. If he was female there would have been hell to pay
Okay, so Heimdall can be female but not black, and Thor can be grey but not female...wow, this is complicated!

Also:

trunkage said:
Tony's being replaced is just like a new recipe for Coke Slurm. It'll taste better when the original comes back (because you know he is)
Fixed that for you. >.>

But yeah, it's pretty much a given. If Riri is popular, she'll get her own series. If not, she'll either show up on rare occasion to fill out a fight or never be mentioned again. It's not really that big a deal.
All of my original comment should be taken with a side of sarcasm. Even if the Slurm thing is probably going to happen

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
altnameJag said:
]Considering all Rey has is the standard suite of Star Wars Protagonist powers, what would you consider a competent female character to look like?
I'd say Leia to be obvious but even Padme managed to at least be a consistent character who didn't effectively become a new character in virtually every scene while also having flaws that actually weighed against her positive aspects.

Plus the whole not going from the beginning to end of the entire Hero's Journey in 5 minutes didn't help. At this point Rey has nowhere left to go, she already defeated her nemisis and he's only still alive because merchandising of a literal plot hole that manifested in the form of an actual hole.

The entire fight between Kylo and Rey felt like it was written with their roles reversed and the fight's turn being when Kylo stopped holding punches but somewhere in pre-production someone accidentally switched their names and forgot to put them back. I honestly wonder how they're going to handle the villains in Episode 8 because Kylo may be still alive but he sure isn't going to be seen as a threat by the audience.

Feb 26, 2014
inu-kun said:
I feel like Marvel is fast approaching Konami level of "fuck the fans", if you want a new female black character, MAKE A NEW FEMALE BLACK CHARACTER, don't blackwash chracters because them being written as the same demographic in that time is apperantly an unforgivable sin.
So, is Tony Stark a black woman now, or am I missing something?

OT: I came here expecting Rescue. Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed. Oh well. All that's left to do is wait to see how she's written. Then I'll decide whether the evil feminist cabal has struck again. As for her hair, screw the naysayers! Her hair is fabulous!

The circumstances under which Marvel's writers have revealed their new characters, or status quo changes, have been a little irritating lately. Iceman is gay now? Cool. We find out because Jean invades his privacy and tells him he's "Full gay". Ugh. That could have been handled so much better. Thor's debut also made it obvious that Odinson will become worthy once again, which makes me wonder how long the new Thor will last. We've got two Spider-Men running about, and I don't even know what Morales' origin story is anymore. I certainly hope Miles remembers living in a different world. And finally, Legacy Characters are pretty worthless if the originals are still doing their thing.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'd like to see a proper ending for characters like Odinson, Stark, Parker, and Cap. Y'know? Odinson becomes King of Asgard, Stark and Paker get married (To each other or to Potts and Watson, whatever) and retire, and Cap becomes director of S.H.I.E.L.D., forcing the other characters to step up and take their place, like Thor already has. That way we get a proper conclusion to their stories and the Legacy Characters don't feel worthless.

Also, the Odinson may be returning very soon if the new The Unworthy Thor book is any indication.