Seattle "Superhero" Arrested For Pepper Spray Assault

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
Stryc9 said:
The truth is I think the cops are getting a little sick of his shit and finally decided to take him down a couple of pegs. He's been running around downtown Seattle since 2010 putting himself in situations where he doesn't belong and potentially putting himself in danger of being seriously injured or killed if things got far enough out of hand. The police department have said many times before they'd prefer that he just call 911 and report what he sees instead if injecting himself into the situation and making it worse.

He's lucky he hasn't been been the target of police a lot more often as he dresses like a twat, carries a cattle prod and pepper spray and his two 'sidekicks' dress in street clothes and black ski masks.

The video that is embedded into the clip is from a local camera crew that was following him at the time and is not affiliated with any local news network so there's no telling how much was edited out of that video before it was released to the public.
your one of those "he is a menace to society" guys right?

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
Signa said:
Seattle cops are a fucking joke around here, and this one just had a vendetta against Jones. There is no excuse for this kind of abuse of legal power. He was the only one arrested in that fray by they way. Just watch 30 seconds of that video and you can see all the women on an assault rampage, yet they don't get any punishment.
and your one of those "well the police arent doing there job's" guys right. this is just like a batman movie :D

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
This would be really funny if it weren't real. Actually, scratch that, its still funny. I lost it when he said "Your punches don't hurt me, I have body armor".

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
synobal said:
Compare Phoneix Jone's use of pepper spray vs say the use of pepper spray by NYC police officers against protesters. I think I'd rather have this guy out on my streets keeping me safe than officers like that.

Do you know the things leading up to him pepper spraying the crowd? Because I do and I don't agree with him pepper spraying the crowd but I also don't think he was completely out of line in doing so either.

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
This upcoming court could be the start of something new, mainly a newly created law to ban or outlaw masks vigilantes. This could be the end of the other establish mask individual like Shadow Hare and that superhero group (the one with Motor Mouth, Nyx, Life and etc).
What? Like Watchmen?

WHEN can we expect our very own Doctor Manhatten, Ozymmandias, and so forth? I want to watch a Giant electric blue man stomp around outside too!

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:
Compare Phoneix Jone's use of pepper spray vs say the use of pepper spray by NYC police officers against protesters. I think I'd rather have this guy out on my streets keeping me safe than officers like that.

Do you know the things leading up to him pepper spraying the crowd? Because I do and I don't agree with him pepper spraying the crowd but I also don't think he was completely out of line in doing so either.
Yes there is a longer video I've seen and it doesn't show anything untoward happening. Nothing that warrants pepper spray, unless you think macing protesters for protesting is fine. Hey I get it though plenty of people think mace is an excellent form of crowd control on the unwashed masses. Those women were very dangerous after all and about to precipitate a riot or worse be heard.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
To be fair assault is considered invoking fear for ones physical well being and Pheonix did just that, he ran in and started to try and scare random people into backing down by shouting at them while dressed up in a costume that could lead you to believe your dealing with an insane person.

MMkay I misinterpreted part of the beginning as being Pheonix, who was that Shouting break it up? Oh wait it is him, I can't find the part where he pepper sprays some one but ya right about there he's a crazy person getting involved in someone elses business that shows little signs to escalating to anything dangerous and he does it Via intimidation. thats what I think its gonna be looked at legally

Personally? this guy was fucking stupid and he deserves it. He took a minor domestic disturbance threw himself in the middle and antagonized it in such a way to make it worse. his reasoning was not like that of the famed super heroes written up by DC because unlike them he did it for pride (shown by the fact that he makes a point of having it recorded and he wears a really flashy outfit for otherwise small crimes) A girl hit him with her shoes after he antagonized him and heres what he pulled on her
-
temporary blindness which lasts from 15?30 minutes, a burning sensation of the skin which lasts from 45 to 60 minutes, upper body spasms which force a person to bend forward and uncontrollable coughing making it difficult to breathe or speak for between 3 to 15 minutes.
For those with asthma, taking other drugs, or subject to restraining techniques which restrict the breathing passages, there is a risk of death.
If that doesn't qualify as causing someone to be afraid for their well being what the fuck does?
The police one was pretty bad but the primary difference is those people initiated it, I hardly think getting a fight with someone you know is warrant for pepper spray but being on the verge of starting a riot? yeah I can see how pepper spray could be the answer there, not a very good answer that's for sure but crowd control via physical force isn't exactly a good idea anyways now is it?

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I can't think of anything that couldn't be accomplished the same way by dressing normal, and just being a vigilant peron, and calling the police if you see trouble. What happened to neighborhood watches?

What I will say in defense of some of these guys, is that many of them devote time to helping the needy and downtrodden, giving them food, clothes, and just someone to talk to. I think that is more heroic than the costumed shenanigans.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
synobal said:
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:

Yes there is a longer video I've seen and it doesn't show anything untoward happening. Nothing that warrants pepper spray, unless you think macing protesters for protesting is fine. Hey I get it though plenty of people think mace is an excellent form of crowd control on the unwashed masses. Those women were very dangerous after all and about to precipitate a riot or worse be heard.
The protesters were 1) Told if they start getting out of line they will get pepper sprayed
2) They were told to stay WITHIN the pen.
3) 1 protester walked out raised his arms at the police and was brought down
4) The crowd started reacting to it
5) The police officer thinking they were going to get out of hand walked in and maced them
6) The police officer that maced them is a fucking moron.

And I am not sure if this is actually the Occupy Wall Street Protesters since it happened at Union Square which is more towards midtown than downtown.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:

The protesters were 1) Told if they start getting out of line they will get pepper sprayed
5) The police officer thinking they were going to get out of hand walked in and maced them

And I am not sure if this is actually the Occupy Wall Street Protesters since it happened at Union Square which is more towards midtown than downtown.
So because they were told they could get pepper sprayed it was fine? Also watch the video do you see any trying to break out of the pen? Maybe you support having your civil liberties violated but I know I don't. Yes they were reacting to police brutality but what do you expect? They shouted oh my god, is that a reason to use such force?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
maninahat said:
draythefingerless said:
to the people talking about the pepper spray and the taking weapons looking for fights....

1. so a woman who carries a pepper spray in her bag is a criminal offense?
2. cops stroll the night looking for trouble too. thats their job. to ensure they are safeguarding everyone. thats what this guy was doing. going thru the night, hoping he might stop any ongoing crime. looking to start a fight and looking for a fight to stop it are two different things.
2. he even avoided touching people in that fight. all he did was separate them(like normal thoughtful good hearted people do when they see a fight) and he used the pepper spray in his own defense.
1. No, because the woman wasn't carrying it with the express intention of looking for people to use it on. If someone attacked her and she had to use it, she would be using it in self defence. If she purposely went looking for people to use it on, she would be committing assault. The key is in people taking "reasonable action". The pepper spray is reasonable self defence if you are attacked and can't get away or rely on the police to get there in time. Looking for and running into fights to use the pepper spray isn't.
2. Cops perform that duty in an official capacity, which makes them accountable (don't laugh), impartial and trained for the task. Trying to do their job is as advisable as attempting to perform surgery in the place of doctors. I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt, with all the blinded people wandering around on the roads.
3. As far as I can tell, he had the pepper spray out almost immediately, and it is hard to tell what he did to seperate the fight in the first place. It seems that the ladies were angry at him for using the pepper spray in the first place.
maybe i didnt express the exact point of what i was trying to say. this man is trying to do good. now wether or not you think he should do this is irrelevant. its more than honorable for someone to try and help and defend people from undeserved crimes against them. doesnt matter if the guy is doing it for kicks or not. as long as hes just trying to stop crimes, thats fine. my pepper spray example needs to be fleshed out. a woman carries it in case the need arises where she must defend herself. this guy carries it in case the need arises where, upon trying to stop a crime or a beating or in this case a fucking attempt at a HIT N RUN, he must defend himself. yes he is looking for crimes, but he clearly does not go in spraying everyone mindlessly. he was asking for 911, he was telling them to get away from the people they were beating, etc etc. FINALLY, do not compare the work of cops to the work of surgeons. surgeons do a job you need years of skill and learning to perform. cops dont. to quote sth someone else said, a bystander saved a ton of people from a robbey by shooting the robbers with a concealed weapon he carried. he just did the cops job. and so do many people day by day. its not surgery. apart from firearms, there really is no reason you shouldnt defend other people from injustice or undeserved treatments. that doesnt take med school to do.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Unless the cops in Seattle have gotten a hell of a lot better than they were when I lived there, it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise that someone has taken up super-heroics. If someone was in actual trouble, I'd be genuinely surprised most of the time if they showed up within 15 minutes.

I'm not necessarily condoning "Phoenix Jones"'s actions. I'm just saying that there's a real question about punishing someone for a using decidedly non-lethal tactics to break up a fight when the police aren't necessarily a viable alternative.

AllstarEvo

Oct 3, 2011
maninahat said:
SadakoMoose said:
maninahat said:
Adam Jensen said:
He's the hero Seattle deserves, not the one it needs right now. He's a loud guardian, a watchful moron, a dark idiot.
Good man. This needs carving onto a bronz statue of this asshole.
Lol, I called somebody an asshole! Just like Penn and Teller, derpadoo!
Forgot an E
Why is this guy an Asshole?
Sure he's probably putting his life at great risk by doing this stuff, but his heart is in the right place. As far as I can tell, he isn't going looking for fights, but rather responding to them. If you heard there was a man choking to death, and you ran to him, you wouldn't be accused of ambulance chasing would you?
While I do think he might be a bit misguided, it's not like he's going out and assault people for selling drugs, or over eagerly tasering people. He's just a altruistic dude that doesn't quite know what to do.
Certainly not an asshole.
An asshole is when you kick puppies, spam emails, or ignore people being hurt because you don't want to get involved.
Why do you think you get to be so vindictive in this situation?
You don't think running around, spraying pepper spray into an angry crowd is at all risible? The guy dresses up as a super hero and goes out into the street with weapons; of course he was looking for trouble! That is the difference between a decent member of the public stepping in to break up a scuffle, and a kook like this: an innocent person can argue they were just doing the most reasonable thing at the shortest notice.

If you are the kind of person looking out for trouble on purpose, and your primary intention is to get involved in this sort of thing, you can't argue you were taking the best, most reasonable course of action. You are making a stupid choice and trying to take the situation into your own hands, which is very irresponsible and potentially very dangerous to all involved. That is why he is an asshole. Because he prioritised his super hero antics over doing the right thing, to the endangerment of the public.
I'm going to put this simply, there are suppose to be two types of citizens, Legal citizens and Moral citizens. A legal citizen will abide by the law in its entirety and would respond normally by informing someone with more ability and authority than themselves.

A moral citizen would act how they psychologically determine and in some cases I believe this is how some people should act.

Imagine a unfair fight, your family member is be grouped upon by an unfair amount of thugs. now honestly would you prefer someone to sit there and take the time to ring to police and wait the time for them to arrive by this time you family member could be seriously injured or worse.

However this man is trying to offer that alternative of being there when the police are to slow to react also this man isn't just trying to help as many people as he can he's also setting an example that our society should care for each other and we should try to help when a person is in need.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Stryc9 said:
The truth is I think the cops are getting a little sick of his shit and finally decided to take him down a couple of pegs. He's been running around downtown Seattle since 2010 putting himself in situations where he doesn't belong and potentially putting himself in danger of being seriously injured or killed if things got far enough out of hand. The police department have said many times before they'd prefer that he just call 911 and report what he sees instead if injecting himself into the situation and making it worse.

He's lucky he hasn't been been the target of police a lot more often as he dresses like a twat, carries a cattle prod and pepper spray and his two 'sidekicks' dress in street clothes and black ski masks.

The video that is embedded into the clip is from a local camera crew that was following him at the time and is not affiliated with any local news network so there's no telling how much was edited out of that video before it was released to the public.
Does not matter whether the Police don't like him. It all comes down to whether he broke the law.

Is going out at night wearing a funny costume illegal?
Is stepping in to help other people out illegal?
Are the weapons he was carrying illegal?
Has he shown to be breaking any laws with his night time activities?

Unless the answer to any of the above is yes, then it does not matter what you me or the police think about him, he has broken no laws and gets to keep doing what he is doing. Full stop.
I'm not saying that the fact that he wears the idiotic costume is illegal.
I'm not saying that stepping in to help someone is illegal.
It's debatable as to whether or not that cattle prod would be considered illegal in Seattle.
It's also debatable as to whether or not he's broken any laws so far.

I'm not saying this arrest has anything to do with him breaking any laws, I'm saying that the Seattle police are sick of this guy running around trying to break up fights (or what he assumes to be a fight) and then when things escalate sprays people with pepper spray. A couple of the local news stations have reported a rash of people being sprayed after leaving clubs in the area by a person fitting "Jones'" description.

Now that I think about he almost reminds me of Cartman in the South Park where he gets to be Hall Monitor and he starts acting like Dog the Bounty Hunter and spraying people with bear mace when they don't listen to him.

This guy is nothing more than an attention seeker that's read too many comic books. After he was released on bail in an effort to "get his side of the story out there", he turned up at one of the local news stations at around 10PM to give an interview so he could be on the 11 o'clock news, and it worked.

hiks89 said:
your one of those "he is a menace to society" guys right?
I wouldn't go that far, I just think that he's an attention seeking dumbass that's gonna run into more trouble than he can handle one of these days and he's gonna wind up in a hospital or a morgue because he fucked with the wrong people.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ljh217 said:
I agree with maninahat here.

For starters, there are so many comments that assume that Jones Phoenix actually has good intentions, all based from watching a 10 minute video. You don't know this guy at all, he could be a serial killer or a sociopath when he is not wearing the mask.
You could say that for ANYONE who uses force in self defence, do you think justice works if it assumes everyone is a psychopath?

We are reasonably giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
synobal said:
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:

So because they were told they could get pepper sprayed it was fine? Also watch the video do you see any trying to break out of the pen? Maybe you support having your civil liberties violated but I know I don't. Yes they were reacting to police brutality but what do you expect? They shouted oh my god, is that a reason to use such force?
I said A guy as in ONE not the entire group. Its a standard take down of a man who raised his fists to the police no matter what the guy says about why he raised his hands. Then they react to it. Its not police brutality. If you think taking a man down to the ground that raises their fists to you is brutality I would suggest you go back to Lala land because you certainly don't understand the world.

Where have I said I agree with what the officer who maced them did? I mean you even read number 6?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
What does your single comment about the guy being a moron matter when you agree with his actions?
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:
Krion_Vark said:
synobal said:

I said A guy as in ONE not the entire group. Its a standard take down of a man who raised his fists to the police no matter what the guy says about why he raised his hands. Then they react to it. Its not police brutality. If you think taking a man down to the ground that raises their fists to you is brutality I would suggest you go back to Lala land because you certainly don't understand the world.

Where have I said I agree with what the officer who maced them did? I mean you even read number 6?
What does your single comment about the guy being a moron matter when you agree with his actions? Also if he was macing someone who was threatening the police how come he just walks up maces them and walks away? Shouldn't he be I dunno arresting the guy in question? Removing him from the protester group or something? The guy walks up maces them, and then flees leaving his stunned subordinate officers wondering 'what the hell?'

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
maninahat said:
draythefingerless said:
to the people talking about the pepper spray and the taking weapons looking for fights....

1. so a woman who carries a pepper spray in her bag is a criminal offense?
2. cops stroll the night looking for trouble too. thats their job. to ensure they are safeguarding everyone. thats what this guy was doing. going thru the night, hoping he might stop any ongoing crime. looking to start a fight and looking for a fight to stop it are two different things.
2. he even avoided touching people in that fight. all he did was separate them(like normal thoughtful good hearted people do when they see a fight) and he used the pepper spray in his own defense.
1. No, because the woman wasn't carrying it with the express intention of looking for people to use it on. If someone attacked her and she had to use it, she would be using it in self defence. If she purposely went looking for people to use it on, she would be committing assault. The key is in people taking "reasonable action". The pepper spray is reasonable self defence if you are attacked and can't get away or rely on the police to get there in time. Looking for and running into fights to use the pepper spray isn't.
2. Cops perform that duty in an official capacity, which makes them accountable (don't laugh), impartial and trained for the task. Trying to do their job is as advisable as attempting to perform surgery in the place of doctors. I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt, with all the blinded people wandering around on the roads.
3. As far as I can tell, he had the pepper spray out almost immediately, and it is hard to tell what he did to seperate the fight in the first place. It seems that the ladies were angry at him for using the pepper spray in the first place.
Yes, but nothing here indicates he went out INTENDING to use it, he did not use the pepper spray to separate them.

It was only when it went against reasonable intention when they tuned on him that he resorted to the pepper spray to defend himself.

Separating people from fighting should not be provocation.

The difference between what he did and what cops do is officialdom.

"Trying to do the police's job job is as advisable as attempting to perform surgery in the place of doctors."

So where does the example stand of a member of the public performing first aid on someone because no "official" medics around? They have training, they just don't have "official" training. What of the man who dives into water to rescue a drowning child yet he is not an "official" lifeguard? What of the man who goes into a burning building to save someone because the fire brigade are still ages away?

It should not be limited to masked vigilantes, every citizen of a civilised and functional society should do everything they can to help those in need. The fact that another human is dealing the damage should be no grounds to shrink from responsibility.

If someone foolishly loses a large-denomination note in the wind, it is not unreasonable to go out of your way to retrieve for them. But if a person had taken it in a hit and run mugging, would it no be reasonable to try to stop the assailant?

Or should the attitude be "naw, that's rocket surgery, only a trained professional can tackle that thug"

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
not enough background.
What´s his education and training?
Did he attend Police School, Bodyguard Training, De-Escalation Psychology Diploma?
Obviously he doesn´t know how to properly approach conflicts.

despite some arguments here: He is NOT an incidental first aid helper. He´s going out to look for it with a MASK ON!

From here he looks like, as some here already said: An Altruistic Idiot.
Which may be the worst thing of all.