Senate Candidate Attacked Over World of Warcraft

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
As has probably already been said... if I was American (which I am not, thankfully, curse your gubrnmint) this would make up my mind about voting for that woman.

Colleen's rogue for President!

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
What an idiotic thing to attack someone over. I can only hope equally idiotic sites pop up criticising a candidate's favourite movie or a candidate's reading choices. I'm not sure I'd want anyone in political office who thought E L James was worth spending time on. Lets start judging people's suitability for political office on their shoe size.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
American politics are weird. I can't imagine a British politician making this sort of very personal attack on a rival without getting shouted down with "distracting from real issues!" comeback. MPs in government have been caught having affairs before, and the opposition hasn't mentioned it.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
I'm conservative and I think this is stupid. On of the big things about conservatism is more freedom and keeping private lives private.

More and more I've been thinking that the Republican party isn't conservative. The Democratic party is uber left and the Republican party is left. The only true right wing is left out in the cold without a proper party that can win.
Actually, looking at things on a world stage, both your political parties come off as pretty uber-right (although the left-right scale makes enormous generalisations and doesn't actually represent the way politics works too well, for example, Australia's "right-wing" conservative party is called the Liberal party, which the Americans I know find hilarious). Mind you, if you're calling the Republicans conservative for their support of freedom and keeping private lives private, then yeah, Republicans certainly aren't conservative. Aren't they the same ones that came up with the Patriot Act?

OT: Not much more to add. Attacking someone for playing a game in their spare time is about as absurd a reason as I can think of.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
CriticKitten said:
If you want your party to stop being the butt of everyone's jokes, perhaps you should step up and take some damn control, then.

Because otherwise, you'll continue to be represented by folks who attack a senator for playing WoW, who point to various video games and blame them for destroying American values instead of telling parents to do their job and parent properly, and who claim that learning critical thinking in school teaches children to undermine parental authority and thus should be banned from schools. All of which are things that I have yet to speak to a single Republican friend of mine who honestly believed any of these things. So why do you let these people stand in the spotlight and represent you?

These are the public face of your party. If you don't want these clowns representing you, GET RID OF THEM. Continuing to vote for them simply because they're the Republican candidate offered to you is effectively the same as approving of these policies you clearly don't agree with, so why would you do it? There should come a point at which party loyalty ends and you just stand up and say "enough", and it's pretty obvious that a lot of the sensible Republicans just aren't willing to do that.

Until then, you don't get to ***** about how your party is represented in the public eye. Just like the Democrats don't get to whine about their public image so long as THEY continue to vote in the same morons they're so fond of. >_>
Brilliant plan! Why didn't I think of that? I'll get right on that whole 'restructuring a major political party' thing! It'll be quick, just gimme a couple minutes. I'll fix human nature so that nobody is stupid ever again and everybody agrees with me forever.

... Okay, done. Anything you'd like me to do?

Also: As others have pointed out, although specifically attacking for the WoW thing is wrong, some of the things she says aren't exactly what you want to hear from an elected official: Wanting to drown somebody in a bathtub? Even as a joke, that's not the sort of wording I'd like to her from somebody I'm voting for.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
MorganL4 said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
So she lost the paranoid shut-in vote. ouch
Don't forget about a good portion of the octogenarian vote, most old people I meet have a hard time rapping their brains around the hobby.
Actually, it's gaining popularity in that community. I recently put a copy of Limbo on my 80 year old step-grandmother's laptop

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
darthmocha said:
Just the fact that she plays Horde is in instant vote from me. The fact that she plays a female Orc means I would campaign for this woman if I lived in Maine.
If you are actually serious with this, I find this just as sad as not voting for her for the same reason.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Is anyone else curious as to why she mentions being a democrat in one of those quoted posts? I mean, who talks like that? No one. I never hear people walking down the street saying things like:

"As a steel worker, I like your car."
"As a member of the Green Party, I love this song!"
"Who would have thought that a gay man would enjoy this move?"
"I'm an accountant, and I love that restaurant."

It's just not relevant.

Oh, and yes, a sad desperate attempt that isn't particularly clever, and fails to understand the basic concept of gaming culture. But that's blind to political affiliation, guys. After all, Leland Yee is a democrat.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I think I'm with point-and-boggle crowd. Or point-and-recoil if I'm honest.

Using stereotyping and fear mongering as an actual political tactic isn't unheard of, but is normally not so blatant. Whoever thought of it should be force-fed their own eyes with a fork. What kind of crap has the democratic system become? You're meant to look at the f***ing policies not worry about what they do in their free time.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
That is a cheap shot if I ever saw one. It's so ... D U M B !
And yes, she sounds cooler now. o_-

I think it's also copyright infringement or misrepresentation of some sort.
Someone's not taking those things seriously and won't get elected.

Way to shoot oneself in the foot Tory Toadies...

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
And my DPS (Deaths per second) got higher...
Well at least we know they bothered to investigate this thoroughly.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
Saltyk said:
Is anyone else curious as to why she mentions being a democrat in one of those quoted posts? I mean, who talks like that? No one. I never hear people walking down the street saying things like:

It's just not relevant.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Mysten said:
Saltyk said:

It's just not relevant.
*Looks at you avatar*
That's oddly appropriate that you would use that clip.

And Shepard is a bad ass. Of course he can get away with it! Also, he's kind of a celebrity. But honestly, he only gives his name and rank. It's not like he started listing off the groups he belongs to or his religious beliefs. You know, because those were so relevant to his shopping habits.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I'm a Conservative and even I think these attacks are pretty pointless. There are a lot of successful people that play WoW. Hell, when I was working 200+ days a year on the road WoW was pretty much the one thing I could point to that kept me sane.

I have a few guys on my sales team that play as well. One guy started playing as a way to spend time with his boy and his wife while he was on the road working. Admittedly it's not the same as being there in person but they get to spend a couple hours a night gaming together and talking over Vent. It's something. The other fella is in a pretty massive guild and on his downtime will go visit and hang out with people from his guild when he's in their area on work.

Sure there are some people that take it too far but there are also a lot of people out there that games like WoW do a lot of good for. All in all I think it's pretty silly attacking someone over their hobbies. It would be no different than attacking a politician for playing golf or boating or some such thing.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Dunno what's sadder, that this is the best reason to hate her they could come up with, or the fact that it seems to be at least partially working.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Ohhhhhh ferfuckssake! Does a politician play video games like millions of other Americans who do your taxes, invest your stock, fly your planes, fight for your country, cure your illnesses, etc? Oh, don't vote for her, she might confuse her games for the real world and kill a tonne of people. If not, she will just play games in meetings and duck others to play more games. You can't trust a gamer because they play games -- an industry so profitable that it rivals home video for profit. Scum of the earth, all of them. If they want a fantasy world full of magic and violence, there's the Good Book.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm not surprised that the Republican Party has done all of this, but it's kind of sad and funny at the same time. Still, do they not realize how many people play WoW? Sure it may dissuade some voters, but it may encourage a lot more.