Skyrim Weight Inaccuracies

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Because this is fairy land where 300 skyrim weight worth of junk can be hidden invisibly upon your person no matter it's proportion anyway.

Ever get overburdened just by turning the hides you're carrying into leather? More weight from losing it... Another puzzler.

Honestly I don't think they COULD have balanced it, just guessed and let fly.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
craftomega said:
This is only one example because i dont want to bore you guys (might be to late for some). Now im sure someone is going to say "To help balance the game" or some crap like that; I call bull shit on that.

So now after that lesson, my question. Why did Bethdasoft purposfully make the weights on items historicly Inaccurate? I honestly cannot see a good reason for it.
OK, so you call bullshit on the one thing that might explain why, but doesn't give a good reason why you're calling bullshit on it, then say you cannot see a good reason for it, even though you just cited it and called bullshit on it for no good reason.

I... what.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
craftomega said:
Just some flame protection first; Skyrim is a great game, and Bethdasoft can make there game how ever they like, all im asking is why they are doing stuff blantly wrong.

Ok its time for a history lesson about medevil europe.

Wikipidea
The longsword (of which stems the variation called the bastard sword) is a type of European sword designed for two-handed use, current during the late medieval and Renaissance periods, approximately 1350 to 1550 (with early and late use reaching into the 13th and 17th centuries).

Longswords have long cruciform hilts with grips over 10 to 15 cm length (providing room for two hands). Straight double-edged blades are often over 1 m to 1.2 m (40" to 48") length, and weigh typically between 1.2 and 1.8 kg (2½ to 4 lb), with light specimens just below 1 kg (2.2 lb), and heavy specimens just above 2 kg (4½ lb).
Ok you see how much the average long sword weighs; at max 4½ lb. Yet in Skyrim a normal sword weighs 9 Skyrim Weight (Sw). Yet leather armor weights 6 Sw and that is for your torso and legs. But in reality Leather armor weights about 15-25 pounds. So how why does the sword weight more in Skyrim.

Iron Sword 4½ lb : 9Sw
Leather armor 15-25 lb : 6Sw

This is only one example because i dont want to bore you guys (might be to late for some). Now im sure someone is going to say "To help balance the game" or some crap like that; I call bull shit on that.

So now after that lesson, my question. Why did Bethdasoft purposfully make the weights on items historicly Inaccurate? I honestly cannot see a good reason for it.

See me next time on HOW TO SWING A SWORD. How all the weapons in skyrim are being swong in mollases.
Well I think you've put a lot of thought into this - go find/make a mod to make everything more weight accurate. I mean start small, fix all the swords would be the first one, there are several, and they all have different materials and you'd have to calculate their weight based on relative density to other items... it seems like just cut all the items weight in half... but check into that, there's still iron and silver and gold which all must be accurate too.

I think they either don't care, or they wanted it to be challening... idk, I think its fine.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I have decided that the weight values are not in Lbs. They must be in arbitrary units, and they factor in lots of fudge factors.

You can't carry 300 lbs of stuff around and run from one place to another. 100 lbs is believable, which puts the longsword at a more appropriate weight value.

Gold ingots should weight a fucking shitload, for instance. But they don't, because it would be too annoying.

Im considering modding to remove all weight from ingredients. You don't gain direct battle benefit from having them or not, and its really annoying to put them away and sort them.

Another mod I would like would be to allow the alchemy table to have a container on it, into which you can place all your ingredients and those are considered "in your posession".

Same for all crafting in the game.

Rakun Man

Oct 18, 2009
Here is the most neutral reason why.

Weight is a force that is determined by mass time the force of gravity [W=m*g]. Mass remains constant anywhere in the universe, but the force of gravity is dependent of the equation of Newton's universal law of gravity.
Which is
F(of gravity) = [G(this a universal constant)*mass(of the planet)]/[radius^2]
or g= Gm/r^2

So this means that the the force of gravity can vary depending on the mass or radius of the planet.

I do not know the mass of Nirn (but that could be figured out by finding the acceleration of free falling objects in Skyrim) but as you can see in this picture at the bottom of the page http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nirn

that Nirn has a different radius, therefore its force of gravity is different, therefore objects can weigh differently as they would on Earth.

That is all I have for you. Hope it helps.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
IrisEver said:
I just assume that ingame'Skyrim Weight' of an item takes into account how easy it would be to lug around - besides just how heavy it is.

Perhaps if you could fold a sword up, it would be easier to carry around and have a lower 'Skyrim weight'.

...I have no idea.
you know what, that makes a lot of sense. if you are wearing amour, it is probably easier to carry than that long sword on your back because of all the muscle groups involved in carrying it. That's a damn good theory

GenericPCUser

Dec 22, 2010
Just gonna throw my 2 cents in without reading the thread.

My explanation, because in general weapons are carried by the arms while armor is fixed to the body.

You can carry a 40 lb weight on your back, but try holding a 5 lb weight in an outstretched arm for long.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Arrows = Weightless. Whether it be 1 or 10,000, they have no mass whatsoever. The longsword point seems rather petty by comparison.

Sep 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
craftomega said:
Its not that, its just they put so much effort into making a great game then they skimp out on details that are easy to fix. It just bugs me, if you dont care about it thats your call but i do care.
Damn. A massive conspiracy would have been far cooler than nitpicking.
Don't listen to him, he's just trying to cover his tracks. This is clearly and attempt by Bethesda to brainwash the general public. They start with simple weights of historical items and then move bigger and bigger. Obviously Bethesda is trying to alter history in the minds of the general public. This leads me to believe that Bethesda are non other than...
THE PATRIOTS

Sparecash

Dec 24, 2008
Tanksie said:
craftomega said:
Just some flame protection first; Skyrim is a great game, and Bethdasoft can make there game how ever they like, all im asking is why they are doing stuff blantly wrong.

Ok its time for a history lesson about medevil europe.

Wikipidea
The longsword (of which stems the variation called the bastard sword) is a type of European sword designed for two-handed use, current during the late medieval and Renaissance periods, approximately 1350 to 1550 (with early and late use reaching into the 13th and 17th centuries).

Longswords have long cruciform hilts with grips over 10 to 15 cm length (providing room for two hands). Straight double-edged blades are often over 1 m to 1.2 m (40" to 48") length, and weigh typically between 1.2 and 1.8 kg (2½ to 4 lb), with light specimens just below 1 kg (2.2 lb), and heavy specimens just above 2 kg (4½ lb).
Ok you see how much the average long sword weighs; at max 4½ lb. Yet in Skyrim a normal sword weighs 9 Skyrim Weight (Sw). Yet leather armor weights 6 Sw and that is for your torso and legs. But in reality Leather armor weights about 15-25 pounds. So how why does the sword weight more in Skyrim.

Iron Sword 4½ lb : 9Sw
Leather armor 15-25 lb : 6Sw

See me next time on HOW TO SWING A SWORD. How all the weapons in skyrim are being swong in mollases.
its a different planet.
with magic and dragons and immortal children and about 14 people on an entire continent with about 2 houses and a shop. and you are bitching about how much the stuff weighs.
Haha okay... this reply made my day.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
Would you like Bethesda to implement realistic size as well as weight?

I'd like to see my mage trying to carry three staves, six swords, three maces, twelve daggers, 2 sets of armour and whatever else I found in my recent dungeon, back to Whiterun to sell.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Skyrim's Weight Inaccuracies? Seriously?
This is Skyrim, not the Middle Ages. Things can weigh whatever they want in there. And they never said it was going to be accurate did they? Don't see people making arrows out of glass now do ye? Historical inaccuracies! Madness!

Sep 13, 2009
Rakun Man said:
Here is the most neutral reason why.

Weight is a force that is determined by mass time the force of gravity [W=m*g]. Mass remains constant anywhere in the universe, but the force of gravity is dependent of the equation of Newton's universal law of gravity.
Which is
F(of gravity) = [G(this a universal constant)*mass(of the planet)]/[radius^2]
or g= Gm/r^2

So this means that the the force of gravity can vary depending on the mass or radius of the planet.

I do not know the mass of Nirn (but that could be figured out by finding the acceleration of free falling objects in Skyrim) but as you can see in this picture at the bottom of the page http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nirn

that Nirn has a different radius, therefore its force of gravity is different, therefore objects can weigh differently as they would on Earth.

That is all I have for you. Hope it helps.
You need to read the OP a little better, he was not talking about weight inaccuracies relative to the weights of actual swords or armor on earth, he was referring to the disproportionate weights of objects in Skyrim to other objects in Skyrim. A change in gravity would do nothing to change weight ratios.

dcdude171 said:
They should also take out the dragons , all the other mystical creatures , the magic , and potions , cause you know they're not realistic.
This is a weak argument and I've seen it waay too much on this thread. Oh sure, since we have dragons ANYTHING goes, we can have mountains the size of cocktail weenies, if you break open a coconut it'll be full of butterflies and everyone's third word is wainscoting. You know, not for any good reasons, but we have dragons, so you shouldn't be complaining.

This was not a choice made by the developers, they didn't all band together and decided that Skyrim would be better with skewed weight ratios, it just lack of research. Not that it bothers me particularly (The wolf pelt thing does bug me considerably more though) I am just annoyed with the weak arguments trying to defend it.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Tanksie said:
its a different planet.
with magic and dragons and immortal children and about 14 people on an entire continent with about 2 houses and a shop. and you are bitching about how much the stuff weighs.
This is a good point. Who's to say that exactly the same physical laws apply? Maybe cow skin is a good deal less dense in Tamriel than in our universe, and iron a good deal more so? Maybe a constant background magnetic field changes the effective weight of metallic objects? Maybe magic?

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
I'm confused that you only noticed this conspiracy now because...

Bethesda is the ILLUMINATI

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
It isn't specifically weight, it is weight AND encumberance.
So a giant mace will weight more than a set of leather armour.
Besides, weapons have always encumbered a lot in games to prevent you from walking around with your own armory. But to be fair, that hasn't stopped me :D