So apparently JonTron is a racist

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
erttheking said:
Strazdas said:
the quotes given in OP are not racist, they are either a factual observation (such as crimerate)
Still waiting on a source for that crime rate. No one has produced it yet.
You know, I'm starting to think that it might not actually be based on anything except his own personal biases.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Man, what a time to be alive.

A time where in the Trump era, the people you turn to for laughs, entertainment, assurance that life isn't all completely shit turn out to be complete fucking shitbags.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to my "emo phase".

Seriously though, JonTron, what the fuck? What happened? Where is this shit coming from?

TheSpyIsASpyWDZ

Loves To Lurk
Dec 15, 2012
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/23/poor-white-kids-are-less-likely-to-go-to-prison-than-rich-black-kids/?utm_term=.c34c7476778e

That's about as close as I can get in two minutes of google searching, hope it's good enough.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Okay.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I disagree rather strongly with what he's saying but... you know, he's just some guy. His political views really, really shouldn't be something anyone listens too. He's a particulary educated man who can provide unique insights, he's a dude who plays video games for the internet. Which is fine. I'm also a dude who plays video games for the internet (Though for a practically nonexistent viewer base) and I sometimes express my political views here but that doesn't make me an authority.
You tell that to the lunatics who think YouTubers are using their platform to recruit gamers to the alt-right cause, which is a testbed for the real tactics they will use in office. :D

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Zontar said:
The Western world is only 810 million people, unless you count the Southern Cone and Brazil, in which case it's just a singular billion.
And why wouldn't you? Are they somehow in the east?

And since we're on this subject.

Zontar said:
Well first and foremost would be mass immigration. Hell in a move that makes the claim that the left is inherently educated have no basis in reality, when Ann Coulter and Cenk Uygur had their debate a few years back and one of them mentioned whites becoming a minority in the US if trends don't change, the mostly liberal crowed applauded because apparently the stereotype of the American who never looks beyond his country's boarders is true given the state of Brazil and South Africa.
...What?

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
TheSpyIsASpyWDZ said:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/23/poor-white-kids-are-less-likely-to-go-to-prison-than-rich-black-kids/?utm_term=.c34c7476778e

That's about as close as I can get in two minutes of google searching, hope it's good enough.
Yeah but what about his feelings? If he feels like black people are inherently criminal, who are we lowly cucks to disagree?

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
TheSpyIsASpyWDZ said:

This is the aforementioned "Race, Wealth and Incarceration: Results from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth" paper from Duke University researchers, and it's been repurposed by alt-right fanboys and white supremacists to bolster the exact opposite point the authors arrived at. In other words, folks like JonTron use it to illustrate the claim that blacks are prone to more criminal behavior while also arguing that discrimination doesn't exist in America (LOL), yet the authors who conducted the study say the very opposite -- that "race trumps class" and that being wealthy won't protect black people from incarceration the same way it protects white people. It's not that rich black people commit MORE crime -- it's that they're more likely to go to prison for committing a crime than rich white people.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheSpyIsASpyWDZ said:

It's certainly something (thank you for actually citing a source) but I can't help but point out that it says that rich blacks are more likely to go to jail than poor whites, not that they committed more crimes. A very important distinction to make, and even the article seems to think it's bullshit and primarily fueled by racism and not that black people just happen to commit more crimes. Mainly because the majority of us have actually performed an arrestable offense.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/dec/08/stephen-carter/watch-out-70-us-have-done-something-could-put-us-j/

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Exley97 said:
TheSpyIsASpyWDZ said:

This is the aforementioned "Race, Wealth and Incarceration: Results from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth" paper from Duke University researchers, and it's been repurposed by alt-right fanboys and white supremacists to bolster the exact opposite point the authors arrived at. In other words, folks like JonTron use it to illustrate the claim that blacks are prone to more criminal behavior while also arguing that discrimination doesn't exist in America (LOL), yet the authors who conducted the study say the very opposite -- that "race trumps class" and that being wealthy won't protect black people from incarceration the same way it protects white people. It's not that rich black people commit MORE crime -- it's that they're more likely to go to prison for committing a crime than rich white people.
This is what I find funny about Zontar's comments.

No, Jon isn't right, what he's done is clearly proven the point that blacks have been making all along and that those who don't want to hear have been covering their ears about.

The point being made isn't that wealthy blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, a concept I find hilarious to say the least, because it's been pushed as propaganda since slavery and to this day hasn't changed, but that regardless of what may be, black males in particular will ALWAYS be more likely to be incarcerated than white males will for the same things, however big or small they may be. This has been a trend for decades, it isn't new news. I've grown up seeing this and hearing this. It was why the black panthers were formed, however much I disagree with their methods and why BLM exists today.

Discrimination exists, it's not always prominent and some will get by without experiencing much of it, but it's always there so long as there is someone who dislikes or disagrees with you and there are more than enough racist people to continue on that trend.
Racism doesn't just vanish because the times have changed and that idea is fantastical.

I AM Black, so I know what it's like going into a shop with my white friends and being the only one being followed and eagle eyed by security. I'm used to being stopped for "appearing suspicious", despite wearing a suit. I've grown accustomed to white people touching my hair and acting as though it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I've accepted the fact that I have to work 3 times harder and achieve 3 times more than my white peers to get the same job, I understand why my mother chose to call me Greg, a common seemingly none black name, rather than Tyrone, in order for me to be more likely to get jobs and opportunities.

So when people like Zontar lecture me on what I experience everyday, I can't help but cross my arms and wonder, where exactly are you getting your information from? He seems articulate, so I'm utterly baffled as to how a person could be so buffered by the rosy and dandy picture others have painted for him.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
pulse2 said:
I've grown accustomed to white people touching my hair
Is this seriously a thing? I'm firmly convinced that this is just stupid people who would violate anyone's space to feel hair regardless of race. I've had a older mexican woman compliment me and go for the touch but I didn't say anything because I didn't mind. I don't think it's limited to just white people to blacks.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
somonels said:
This accusation has been going around for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6uTKPwVnNI
I've seen it before and it still holds up. Always a great laugh. Thanks.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Jeez...

I watched about 30 mins or so, I guess.

Was Jon asked to speak specifically on this, or was this something that just kinda... happened? Because it feels like he wandered into something he simply wasn't prepared for, and the other guy certainly was ready. It certainly doesn't feel like Jon has any degree of expertise or education in any of the talking points that were tackled in this... debate?

Awkward...

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Yeah he pretty clearly is. And by the way, uninformed and racist are hardly mutually exclusive. Same with being shit at articulating his points, not mutually exclusive with racism. Racism doesn't mean he has to be some malevolent entity. People can be pretty casually racist. He's certainly above that level but he doesn't need to be shouting for someone to die or something to be a racist.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
The Lunatic said:
From the exact same source you just used.

Yeah, pretty worrying, as it turns out.
Speaking of "exact source you just used", Pew Forum actually did a survey that indicated that Evangelicals in the USA are more conservative than Muslims. Where's the panic about Evangelicals?

Zontar said:
Dansen said:
"Wealthy Blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, thats a fact."
This is true
First of all the "wealthy blacks commit more crimes than poor whites" claim is, under the most charitable interpretation, questionable. Second of all if poverty and law enforcement have no influence on the disproportionate crime statistics (as Jon claims), what is the explanation for the discrepancy? Jon was extremely evasive when it came to this and my worry is that he actually thinks that there is a genetic component which is by definition racist.

But of course, those defending him insist that that's not what he's saying. Which begs the question, what is he saying? He dismisses environmental factors as irrelevant fluff. What else is there?

Destiny can't handle the bants and JonTron isn't racist.
Ah yes the final defense, "it was just a joke".

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
To be honest, this "debate" was a joke from both sides: Jon is clearly not used to debating and couldn't form many coherent points (and properly defend them), and Destiny's debating "style" is rather frustrating (dodging questions, changing the scope of the debate as is convenient for his argument, etc). However, I don't believe that what Jon says makes him a racist; to be honest, he really didn't say anything overtly insensitive or racist, and several of the inflammatory statements that he did make can be backed up by statistics.

Additionally, several of Destiny's arguments and comments were completely asinine and rather unsettling (ex. "What's wrong with Communism?", "Nothing is happening in Europe", etc). Nobody is talking about how statements like that can be broadly seen as him being a Communist and a denier of reality, only that Jon's critical statements of illegal immigrants and pointing out that people are inherently tribal and want to see their population and culture represented as the majority clearly makes him racist.

Frankly, I thought that many of Destiny's points outshone Jon's in their overt stupidity and ignorance. Additionally, his debating, while certainly more composed and organized than that of Jon, was rather poor and frankly cowardly. But nobody is talking about that. Just that Jon is clearly a Nazi white supremacist.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
EquestrianGeneral said:
Frankly, I thought that many of Destiny's points outshone Jon's in their overt stupidity and ignorance. Additionally, his debating, while certainly more composed and organized than that of Jon, was rather poor and frankly cowardly. But nobody is talking about that. Just that Jon is clearly a Nazi white supremacist.
People are more outraged at Jon because suggesting that certain ideas are racist doesn't come close to suggesting that being born with a certain skin colour makes you more prone to violence.

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
Dizchu said:
EquestrianGeneral said:
People are more outraged at Jon because suggesting that certain ideas are racist doesn't come close to suggesting that being born with a certain skin colour makes you more prone to violence.
Statistically though, some minority groups commit a disproportionate amount of crime. While the statement was poorly phrased, the stats can generally back it up. Any given person is not more likely to inherently be a violent person because of their skin color, but across the US, the numbers are there.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
EquestrianGeneral said:
Statistically though, minorities commit a disproportionate amount of crime. While the statement was poorly phrased, the stats can generally back it up. Any given person is not more likely to inherently be a violent person because of their skin color, but across the US, the numbers are there.
Nobody's denying that, what people are doing is determining why the discrepancy exists. Meanwhile Jon dismisses any analysis as "SJW nonsense" intended to make white people feel guilty. Jon was very hesitant to provide a reason why he thinks the discrepancy exists, going as far to say that if he did elaborate it'd be "incriminating" which is pretty worrying considering how controversial the things he did say were.

It's the whole correlation vs. causation thing again. Demonstrating that black people commit more crime is one thing, demonstrating that there's a genetic predisposition to violence and crime is another (and also not a claim to be made lightly because it is textbook racism).

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
Dizchu said:
EquestrianGeneral said:
Statistically though, minorities commit a disproportionate amount of crime. While the statement was poorly phrased, the stats can generally back it up. Any given person is not more likely to inherently be a violent person because of their skin color, but across the US, the numbers are there.
Nobody's denying that, what people are doing is determining why the discrepancy exists. Meanwhile Jon dismisses any analysis as "SJW nonsense" intended to make white people feel guilty. Jon was very hesitant to provide a reason why he thinks the discrepancy exists, going as far to say that if he did elaborate it'd be "incriminating" which is pretty worrying considering how controversial the things he did say were.

It's the whole correlation vs. causation thing again. Demonstrating that black people commit more crime is one thing, demonstrating that there's a genetic predisposition to violence and crime is another (and also not a claim to be made lightly because it is textbook racism).
The thing is that most of the time as of late, the explanations from the left for the discrepancy are rather accusatory (institutional racism, discrimination by the justice system and police force, slavery) toward the white population and simply ignore the real problems. Some issues (such as poor funding for inner city schools) are the fault of the government or others, but a majority of the problems rest on the shoulders of the minorities themselves.

In African American communities, there are rampant problems with single parenthood and general poor parenting. Part of the issue comes from poor funding to public schools (as I said before), but it also comes down to the responsibility of the parents and youth to receive as good of an education as possible.

A positive example of a minority community is (generally) the Asian community; on average, they work hard, accept the societal norms of America, and generally lead good lives as a result.

Saying these things are deemed "racist" though, so it's just easier to say that the whole country is out to make the lives of minorities difficult.