So Bloodborne

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
It looks just like Dark Souls. And I already have Dark Souls and already don't play it. Can't imagine this game is worth an entire new console, just so I can not play it too because its just like Dark Souls.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
hybridial said:
I have no idea why anyone could say Dark Souls is harder than Ninja Gaiden. Dark Souls' enemies have no AI, and it is so easy to exploit them into silly behaviours. The only inherent difference is because of Dark Souls clunky mechanics and poise systems, you're forced to essentially manage your attacks.

That doesn't make it harder, more challenging or more interesting. It just makes it more tedious.

There are individual points in Dark Souls that taken on their own, are pretty tough. But also, to me most of both games is a blur because it becomes laughably easy for great lengths. In terms of pacing and balance... there is none of either. No consistent upping of the ante, no demand that you get better. Once you know what works you can stick to it for the entire game. Hump the legs of big enemies, circle strafe others for backstabs, and just take it slow since you can't fight many enemies at once. Because of the mechanics, because the game says you can only attack and block so much and thus the game becomes about aggro and knowing how to cheese enemies to death instead of any remote amount of skill.

The positive qualities of the Dark Souls games, all exist outside of the combat. The combat is just not fun, and I can assure you that if I can learn the patience it takes to beat it, literally anyone can. (I'm not the most patient sort).

As for games harder than it on normal, well I know of plenty, albiet they're in other genres. Resident Evil Remake, Baldur's Gate, F-Zero GX and Splinter Cell off the top of my head. Great games too.
I agree 100%. Dark Souls was such a disappointing game because I heard the combat was great and the game was a challenge when the combat sucks and the game was easier than freaking Uncharted (and I'm fucking awesome at shooters). Doing such simple things as strafing and using a bow and arrow break the game. You have to fight enemies 1v1 because the shield controls fucking suck; you have to be locked-on to backpedal with your shield up whereas every other game ever made allows you to backpedal with a shield up always. Thus, you can't fight multiple enemies at once properly because of that. Fucking Metal Gear Solid 4 has better shield controls.

I just can't stand all the people that act like Dark Souls is so hard and has so much depth. I literally got through the entirety of Sen's Fortress without dying or tripping one trap (no walkthrough) because the traps were so fucking obvious, then I read posts like "I wish I could mindwipe Dark Souls so I can play Sen's Fortress for the 1st time again". Then all the fanboys talk about all these different builds and shit; there's only 2 fucking builds, melee or magic. A strength and dex character play the same because both can block everything because dex characters can block everything for some reason. If you're a dex character and a stronger enemy hits you, you shouldn't be able to fully block their attack. I played a dex character and I thought I'd have roll a lot more and manage my stamina, nope; because you can lower you shield in-between hits in an enemy chain to regain massive stamina, you're at full stamina after fully blocking a chain attack. The only difference between dex and strength builds is whether you swing faster and hit for less damage per hit or swing slower and hit for more damage per hit, that's fucking it. Fucking Bayonetta has more "builds" with all the different accessories and shit.

Dark Souls RPG mechanics are bad too. There's a core stat that literally does nothing. And, Dark Souls falls into the trap of all you do is level to increase stats and that's it. You can't fight the harder enemies just because of numbers and you have to level your weapon and scaling stat so you do more damage. You play with the same damn weapon all game and level it while leveling the same damn stats just so you do more damage. You don't get any new abilities/skills/powers/etc. that would actually change combat.

With all that said, I did get Bloodborne to give From one last try (I've only played Dark Souls and that's it). If I don't like Bloodborne I'm totally done with From Software. The faster combat and no shields makes it so the game actually requires skill this time. Since there's no stupid shields, bad shield controls are no longer present. I hope the faster pace and more aggressive nature of the game keeps the combat actually fun and interesting throughout the game. I really can't see the game being any better than a 7/10 though.

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
Bloodbornes not to bad. Graphics are great. Personally i like it better then dark souls, its a little more forgiving though still pulls some of dark souls bullshit every now and then which can be annoying.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Only 5 hours in, and something about this game clicked with me. Maybe it was the second boss fight having such a heavy handed backstory, or the incredibly executed fast pace combat on top of HORROR elements (golly), or the overall Demons Souls like atmosphere... but holy crap... why is there no frame drops? Why is one's own personal skill and stats finally perfectly separated? WHY IS THIS GAME SO GOOD?!

I've taken quite the liking to you Bloodborne. Keep it up.

As for the loading times upon death... yeah they're the worst part about the game. But in it's defense (and maybe an inevitable patch to clear such an issue)

so... so much worse.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
idon said:
DementedSheep said:
I would be buying it if it was PC.
I think this pretty much sums up Bloodborne. Remember how much of a push there was for DS1 on PC? I guess FROM doesn't.
Well they will probably make other games with PC ports but Bloodborne is backed by Sony and I imagine they would have paid quite a lot to get it exclusive.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
I love it. I don't really mind the whole "no shield" thing, I never played DS with a shield anyways. The environments seem to be very open and wonderful to explore, although enemies are more keen on ambushing now, so you really need your guard up at all times. The only super frustrating thing so far is this boss that poisons me, requiring me to farm antidotes just to survive the fight. I don't like having to farm for items just to win a fight.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I've been playing it for a while.

It's every bit as good as reviews have been saying it is.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
hybridial said:
EternallyBored said:
You are right that NG kind of set the standard for fast based action games though, but I never found the series anywhere near as difficult as Dark Souls on the normal difficulty levels. Master Ninja mode was pretty nuts, but the normal difficulty levels could usually be cheesed through with moderate skills and spamming items.
I have no idea why anyone could say Dark Souls is harder than Ninja Gaiden. Dark Souls' enemies have no AI, and it is so easy to exploit them into silly behaviours. The only inherent difference is because of Dark Souls clunky mechanics and poise systems, you're forced to essentially manage your attacks.

That doesn't make it harder, more challenging or more interesting. It just makes it more tedious.

There are individual points in Dark Souls that taken on their own, are pretty tough. But also, to me most of both games is a blur because it becomes laughably easy for great lengths. In terms of pacing and balance... there is none of either. No consistent upping of the ante, no demand that you get better. Once you know what works you can stick to it for the entire game. Hump the legs of big enemies, circle strafe others for backstabs, and just take it slow since you can't fight many enemies at once. Because of the mechanics, because the game says you can only attack and block so much and thus the game becomes about aggro and knowing how to cheese enemies to death instead of any remote amount of skill.

The positive qualities of the Dark Souls games, all exist outside of the combat. The combat is just not fun, and I can assure you that if I can learn the patience it takes to beat it, literally anyone can. (I'm not the most patient sort).

As for games harder than it on normal, well I know of plenty, albiet they're in other genres. Resident Evil Remake, Baldur's Gate, F-Zero GX and Splinter Cell off the top of my head. Great games too.
DkS certainly isn't harder than NG. In part that is down to cheap tactics on the part of NG enemies. Maybe my view is skewed because my last session was on MNM in NGS2. IS ninja's anyone?

But no, DS or DkS do not have the precision to ramp up the difficulty to NG levels. DkS2 is actually trying to move further in that direction. And succeeds fairly well. check out a champions covenant lets play to see it at work.

That said, and back to topic. I haven't played Bloodborne and I feel pretty soul'd out at this point. But the streamers I have seen remind me of Ninja Gaiden in yet another way. There seems to be a lot of heavy charge attack spamming going on. And while I see all the positive reviews, I am still sceptical of the game somehow.

raeior

Oct 18, 2013
Great...the france Amazon site listed a Bloodborne Nightmare Edition for PC for some time. Either someone there is trolling pretty badly or it might really come for PC at some point. I pretty strongly believe that someone wanted to troll the PC players because it's highly unlikely Sony would release an exclusive title for their PS4 on PC but now theres a faint flicker of hope that will likely be disappointed. Also Sony apparently "forgot" to renew the trademark for Bloodborne so now that is gone too.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I'm finding it to be incredibly fun, and I gave up on the first Dark Souls.
I just finished the first boss, and it took me a damn while. Mostly because I was getting a grip of the style of the game, and also the style of my character.

... also it doesn't help that I managed to skip to the second boss, which of course, beat my ass.

Still, it's good fun. Cannot wait until I can play it more. Especially since I've seen other Souls series done by a Youtuber known as SSoHPKC (Seamus), it seems I'm trying to pick up his good habits.
Now I'm wondering what I should buy from the store, especially since I'm in my lower levels.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
The game looks sublime. I've been doing nothing but watch streamers play it all day.

Not on PC, so not going to play it. I'm never buying a console unless it advances by some kind of technology that the PC can't. FROM can fuck off with their exclusives. I don't give a shit.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I will get to play it in the summer, since it's not coming on PC - me and a friend will trade consoles for a month. This is pretty much the only exclusive on PS4 I'm interested in which I'm unable to get on my PC.
The reception is awesome, glad that FROM have a hit on their hands considering the lack of big exclusive titles on the PS4 - I hope Sony markets the shit out of BB and FROM makes a nice profit

Vladdie93

Jan 17, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
Vladdie93 said:
Question:
Is it like Dark Souls?

Sounds dumb, but I haven't finished Dark Souls. I got incredibly frustrated when the skeletons were talking out 1/3 of my health with a few slashes while it took me 10 to kill them. (It was in the first graveyard with like mission 2).

I'm thinking of trying again on that, but if Bloodborne has something extremely different or unique about it with a massive twist away from Dark Souls, I might just pick it up.
You know you're not supposed to go to the graveyard right after leaving the Asylum, right?

You're supposed to go along the cliff side, up the stairs into an aqueduct that will take you to Undead Burg, the real 'mission 2' as you put it.
I actually just discovered that I needed to go to Undead Burg this morning. Watched a walkthrough (which I hate doing unless I feel I have to) and saw that they didn't go to skeleton land. Made me feel incredibly stupid for literally wasting hours on trying to kill the skeletons.

Although, now that I have an idea as to where I should go, I'm having fun. I almost beat the Demon at the bridge in Undead Burg.

Thank you very much!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It takes some getting use to the quickstep and shotgun-stun/strike combos, as opposed to having a shield, but it's that old Dark Souls axiety all over again. After having played DK so many times now, I'd forgotten that spine tingling sensation of not knowing what's lurking behind the next corner, or from which shadow the hungery jaws of death will strike next.

Also, you can wear glasses. Fuck yeah!

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
What else can I say about it that hasn't been said already? It's a fantastic game that I am personally enjoying a lot more than Dark Souls so far. I can't wait to play through it even more tonight. I spent about 5-6 hours exploring (and dying) in the first area of the game, there's just sooo much to see and explore, I love how dense the environment is. Yarnham is an incredible setting.

Also, I think it should be stressed that Bloodborne, is genuinely terrifying. The enemy design coupled with the downright oppressive and dark atmosphere combine to make me feel the most creeped out I've been in awhile. Maybe it's just me personally, but the game seriously gets under my skin.

I got a recording of the strongest NOPE moment I encountered fairly early on in the game.

My eyes widened, my breathing stopped, then promptly NOPED the fuck out.

Yeah, I really love this game. Really really love it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Thanks.

As unimportant as it may seem to some people, things like that can really impact on how much I enjoy a game. I remember the loading times in Final Fantasy 8 being the main reason I stopped playing.

Here's hoping it gets sorted.[/quote]
It's not that hard to imagine. After recently switching to using an SSD, I can't imagine going back to longer load times. People don't think about it that often unless the load times are outrageous, but the amount of time you waste just sitting there does add up. It's not too bad if you don't get the load screens often, but if it's something you have to look at every time you die (which, in a Souls-like game is going to happen plenty of times), I could see it driving someone away.

OT: I never really cared for the Souls game, but there's something about this game that interests me a lot more. Could be the setting. I know people are saying it's a faster paced combat that the Souls games, but it doesn't seem that much faster. If this game does ever come to PC, I may pick it up. Unfortunately, this is the first game that's made me want a PS4, and one game isn't enough for me.

Edit: Actually, I think the thing that excites me the most about this game is that it seems almost like a horror game. Some of the enemy designs are extremely disturbing. I watched a boss fight this this giant, mangled.... thing and it made the most horrible wailing noises. The game looks legitimately scary.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Tohuvabohu said:
I got a recording of the strongest NOPE moment I encountered fairly early on in the game.

My eyes widened, my breathing stopped, then promptly NOPED the fuck out.

Yeah, I really love this game. Really really love it.
Seeing that video reminds me how much I love that the game implemented an item whose soul sole purpose is to pull/activate enemies; the Pebble. No arrows or other valuable projectiles necessary, just chuck a pebble. =)