So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Jumplion said:
I am loving my time with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Right now I'm playing through the game with as little casualties as possible.

You know what I think would have been a good achievement for the game? "Purity First", where you play the entire game without upgrading or purchasing a single augmentation. That would totally be awesome if someone tries that.
I did it on 'Give Me Deus Ex' difficulty. Unless putting weapon mods on the 10mm pistol counts as 'upgrading'.

Spygon said:
It is an awesome game sometimes the "detective" parts can drag slighty.But its a stealth game that feels like a stealth game no part where the game goes "oh you know all that sneaking you been putting your points in now time to have a full on shoot out now that you are not balanced for.

Yes you can have massive shoot outs with people but its up to you and also the game is very clever.
Two words for you. Boss Battle.

sumanoskae said:
Ed130 said:
sumanoskae said:
And once the guards are knocked out, the sheer reality altering power of your ineptitude will apparently prevent you from capping them through the fucking skull.
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure you can kill downed people. (EDIT: yes you can kill unconscious people and make them do "the ragdoll dance")

sumanoskae said:
There was this one quest that could only be completed with an upgraded hacking skill, but the game didn't let me know that until I had slaughtered my way through the police station trying to get to it, having jumped through all the other quest hoops along the way.
Was this the quest to get the chip from the dead hacker? Because I just walked in and grabbed it, (had to talk a guy into letting me in although.)
No, it was the quest that Megan's mother gave you.

I knocked some guy out by accident, shot him in the head, and it still said he was knocked out.
Are you talking about getting into the office? Because there is a vent you can use...

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Accountfailed said:
Skorpyo said:
Take the awesomeness of the original, take all the good parts of Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol, and you're pretty much there.

It's really, really good. I've yet to find much to complain about.
There were good parts to alpha protocol!?
The conversation system was pretty damn good. The game changed drastically depending on your dialogue choices, something I think Human Revolution did pretty well. Alpha Protocol was pretty good, if a bit clunky, in my opinion.

OT: After finishing it, I can say Human Revolution is absolutely brilliant. My only complaint is with the bosses, and even then they're so brief and easy (If you have an EMP grenade) that I can't complain that much about them. So far, it's probably the best game I've played this year, and it's one of the few instances where the game actually lived up to the hype.
Alas, I did not like either of those features, I'll choose fluidity over variation any day and dialogue boxes just don't mesh the two together very well IMO. not when the acting was as foul as alpha protocol's was. I'd point to Infamous, ok, so they straight up ask you what you want, not particularly fluid but at least you knew what you were doing, in Alpha Protocol, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect and Dragon age and so on, all you get is a summary of the next speech bit, or what emotional trait character is going to push (eg:compassion,sympathy etc...) and most of the time this "summary" isn't as apt as the developer would think. here's a VERY common scenario.

NPC:"Hey there Adam, would you like a cookie?"
Available choices; "Yes."|"What kind?"|"No, cookies are for dickheads, like you, dickhead."
ME(picking option 2):"What kind? Because I don't want any god damned raisin cookies, I swear if I find raisins in this I'll kill your whole family and your toaster."
NPC:"YOU JERK OMGZ" (-2 loyalty points to staffseargent cookiepants)

I know that's exaggerated an awful lot, but that's happened to me in every game I've mentioned(not Infamous, obviously). That's why dialogue choices are bullshit, if you aren't just not giving a shit about moral alignment, you're constantly reloading the last autosave to get the right speech option.

ALSO: Now I really should say that ANYTHING Bioware does regarding dialogue choices are simply a nonissue. yes, this situation has happened in ME2 and DA2 but it wasn't the main storyline and it didn't affect the run of things at all ,and that's great.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
I love it
I'm just going to spoiler this next part because its really long, no actual spoilers

I can go on all day about the setting, and the game play, and the cool art style.

while the story is linear, the missions are not. It reminds me of the old Metroid games, the delight of discovering a secret room, or a completely alternate path to your objective.
A ton of detail was put into the little things as well. While most people skip over the optional little E-mails and messages to read, I indulge myself in them, learning about the world I am in, and the people who I am with (or against in some cases!)

I like how you can play the entire game without killing a single soldier (not bosses)

I like how your choices actually have effects on gameplay. I actually have a neat example without any spoilers. At one point you have the option of making a small nuisance go away, but later on it causes you to lose all of your augments during a VERY challenging boss fight (they just happened to leave that part out :p ).

I like how the immediately obvious option isn't always the best

I love how some bosses are puzzle/conversation/omgwhatisthisgivememore!

I like how the main character tries to sound like Clint Eastwood (don't tell me he isn't!)

I like how your choice in Augs lets you craft your own gameplay, you can go cloak, speed, and sniper rifle to do Hit and Run attacks; stealth, hacking, and CQC to let the enemy's own defenses do your dirty work; and I have even done speed, inventory spaces, and damage reduction to set up elaborate ambushes consisting of grenades and mines.
the choice is yours to make!

Did I forget to mention the awesome variety in missions? Silly me!
while most of the campaign missions are some variety of "go here, avoid/ kill the guards, go here, cut-scene, the side missions offer much more.
on some you get to be a detective, on others a hired gun, the best part is that most of them have 2-3 different outcomes!

seriously though, it is really good and if you like RPGs and/or shooters you should really give this a try!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
I would like to answer to this thread with:

BUY IT!

however, due to forum rules I will have to pad out this post a little..

if you like rpg's or have any interest in the idea of cybernetics, augmentation or people's irrational fear of being dominated by evil robot oppressors, this is the game for you

because one element or another of it will surely grab you by the $"))^ and drag you into wonderland.

Fujor

Dec 30, 2010
much like the first Deus Ex is a flawed genius.

great game despite it's few flaws and quite possibly game of the year stuff, any other year it would be a shoe in for it but there's some stiff competition this year.

in short. buy it. It's great.

you dont have to stealth it / hack it. these are the most obvious paths however and for what i've read it's what most are playing.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
k7avenger said:
*Sigh* My friend the stun gun gets no love! Poor little guy...

Of course, she doesn't collapse since she's a boss, but the stun gun does stun her for what feels like 10 seconds... I killed her with a 10mm pistol.
Almost the same here except I actually ran out of rounds on her FACE. I mustve had about 20-30 shots for my armour piercing 10 mil but apparently paralyzing her and pumping shots into her face from 2 meters away about 3 times wasn't enough to bring her down. I had to stun her in a cloud of gas to finally pull that plug on that tenacious *****, I can only guess the combination of hyperventilating caused by the stun forced the gas down her through faster.

Or maybe the gas got into her via the GIANT ASS HOLES IN HER SKULL I mean jeez how empty is her skull that she can eat that shit? :D

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Souplex said:
A bit too stealthy to be called great, but it's pretty good.
Really?... Really??!

I think somebody missed the point of the game! Also that's just your opinion. Don't state it as fact.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It's probably going to be my GOTY 2011. So yeah, that says something.

But why I really posted here is because of the following. At one point in the game, you'll come across a room filled with lasers, a couple of them moving. Believe me, you'll know when you get there. When you do, put this on:
And wam, instant AWESOME!!! Haven't felt so badass while gaming in ages.
Souplex said:
That's your fault, as you can still go in guns blazing if you wish.

Bendebec

Jun 18, 2009
AceTrilby said:
I just finished it, and I thought the experience was fantastic - pretty much all the reasons why have been covered already.

On the subject of the boss fights - I was a stealth-hacker type and aside from the first boss, none of them were really all THAT challenging, and I never upgraded my combat skills.

Couple of tips for bosses:

Barrett: I preordered, so I had plenty of UR-DEDs in my pack, so my advise is to take cover, stun Barrett and then spam explosives at him. Whittled him down in no time - double barrel to the face didn't work as well as this.

Federova: Shoot electrical boxes on walls to stun, and use the heavy rifle and reams of ammo that were stashed nearby.

Namir: I advise picking up a grenade launcher ASAP (Tong gives you one after finishing a mission, I think), and spam the hell out of him.

Minority Report future girls: Run around close to the base of the column opening the pods - one full revolver will generally kill each one. If any crazies get close, toss a gas grenade. Smash the screen quickly with explosives and use your weopon of choice to kill the ***** at the top.

Simple! :D

Just make sure to carry a good lethal weapon and it's cake.
Did you have to win the last boss fight like that? Personally I just used my laser rifle that I had lying around, activated all of the pods and fried Zhao, is this a glitch? or is it just a clever exploitation (maybe energy Force fields/shields don't absorb laser fire?)

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Well... I think once and for all Human Revolution has proved that Invisible War was just a freak anomaly and that Deus Ex games are plain and simple bad ass.

I love HR, I might love it almost as much as I loved Deus Ex. It's a damn good game by anybody's standards, but the fact that it's also a brilliant Deus Ex game - as in, I can play it and not feel like it's shat on its predecessor's legacy (I'm looking at you Fallout 3) - is an incredible feat that deserves all of our money!

Of course, the conversations are a little dodgy, but they were in the original too so in my eyes they're just being faithful :p

The biggest critique I have is that the hacking - and stealth in general - makes things a little too easy for my liking. If you can hack reasonably well, you can get just about anywhere, and being stealthy nets you a ton of XP. As a result I feel like I'm going to max myself out way before the end of the game, which feels a lot unlike my experience of the original Deus Ex. But that's a pretty small thing that is easily avoided by simply playing slightly differently!

All in all, I love Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Buy it, or you will have missed out for the second time on one of gaming's greatest series'.
(I say that because I can't believe that anyone who played the original won't buy Human Revolution)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kurai Angelo said:
Souplex said:
Really?... Really??!

I think somebody missed the point of the game! Also that's just your opinion. Don't state it as fact.
His opinion is valid. The point of DE:HR is that you should be able to complete the objective with any number of methods. Forcing stealth/hacking is a valid complaint.

I just did a 'Kill everything with just a 10mm pistol, EMP grenades, and no augments' play through on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty, so it's 'whatever'.

Bendebec said:
AceTrilby said:
I just finished it, and I thought the experience was fantastic - pretty much all the reasons why have been covered already.

On the subject of the boss fights - I was a stealth-hacker type and aside from the first boss, none of them were really all THAT challenging, and I never upgraded my combat skills.

Barrett: I preordered, so I had plenty of UR-DEDs in my pack, so my advise is to take cover, stun Barrett and then spam explosives at him. Whittled him down in no time - double barrel to the face didn't work as well as this.

Federova: Shoot electrical boxes on walls to stun, and use the heavy rifle and reams of ammo that were stashed nearby.

Namir: I advise picking up a grenade launcher ASAP (Tong gives you one after finishing a mission, I think), and spam the hell out of him.

Minority Report future girls: Run around close to the base of the column opening the pods - one full revolver will generally kill each one. If any crazies get close, toss a gas grenade. Smash the screen quickly with explosives and use your weopon of choice to kill the ***** at the top.

Did you have to win the last boss fight like that? Personally I just used my laser rifle that I had lying around, activated all of the pods and fried Zhao, is this a glitch? or is it just a clever exploitation (maybe energy Force fields/shields don't absorb laser fire?)
Nah...it took me 100 Plasma Rifle rounds to complete the boss fight. Nothing else was required.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
To me Deus Ex is great Hard to learn (I'm maybe slow but it took about 4h before I got the hang of not dying every 4th sec..) but o so great love the Augment system and the funs feel fun. Gameplay is just great and a nice break from normal "run-and-gun" you can either kill or not (not killing is REALLY HARD).
I had fun running around doing silly things with my enemies (dropping a dead buddy of theirs from the ceiling is interesting.. ;-)

What keep s it from perfection is impossible to do a "CoD-run" since ammo is rather scarce and enemies is good at killing you but so dumb in a few ways, they seem unable to understand vents, they eventually go down in alert level even if they walked in on your collection of bodies...
You can steal anything and evreryone will ignore you (like taking cash..)
And well final boss battle got really meh since I had some of the "right" Aug's..

As a final comment if you're ready to "learn" (I'm used to CoD, BF BC etc..)to play stealthy the game is going to take you for a fun run (if you really don't like RPG's at all it's probably not that fun, though it really isn't a RPG. It's a stealth FPS with rpg-elements)

Bendebec

Jun 18, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Kurai Angelo said:
Bendebec said:

Nah...it took me 100 Plasma Rifle rounds to complete the boss fight. Nothing else was required.
Well, do you mean the plasma rifle that you pick up near the boss? Because I mean the laser rifle that I picked up at Tong's place, the one that has a scope and has 500 rounds in a magazine, or can you fire at her with any weapon (and do damage) once the pods are open?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Bendebec said:
Kopikatsu said:
Kurai Angelo said:
Bendebec said:

Well, do you mean the plasma rifle that you pick up near the boss? Because I mean the laser rifle that I picked up at Tong's place, the one that has a scope and has 500 rounds in a magazine, or can you fire at her with any weapon (and do damage) once the pods are open?
You can use any weapon. I dumped the laser rifle after the Namir fight though. Namir tanked 1000+ laser rifle rounds to the face, but only four grenade launcher shots killed him.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I bought it on steam like 3 hours before it came out xD ive been looking forward to it for a while. To be totally honest, the game itself is great but has a few minor problems which ill adress first.

First, my computer didnt like playing it with Direct X and it ended up crashing like 10 times when id pass some invisible line or something, and i can only play it when im charging my computer or else its slow, no matter how much i degrade the graphics etc.

However, after disabling direct X, the game ran without crashes but i still have to keep it charging. Also, when you're not in a mission and your wondering around detroit, the transition times to get from point A to point B can get frustrating if you're in a hurry or if you simply cant find your way to some location. and some of the random citizens get very bland and boring after seeing them 10 times. Same goes for all the major cities you have to wonder around.

However, and this is a big however. when you're in a mission, the game, well it's stellar. I play as a stealthy hacker guy, so i sneak around the gaurds and find a computer to hack and shut off all the cameras, and turn their turrets and robots against them, and I can always find some way to get into said rooms i need too.
Every part you need to get to has atleast two usually 3 or 4 ways to get there, with multiple different aproches. You can be like me, sneak into a computer room, slowly timing my movents to gaurds field of view etc. Or you can just sneak through some vents and walk right out, or you can go guns ablazing and kill everyone in sight, it all works.

This game is great when you're in a mission, but dreary on the transitions and load times. plus the boss battles can get very frustrating. But overall, its a great game, id buy it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Jumplion said:
I am loving my time with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Right now I'm playing through the game with as little casualties as possible.

You know what I think would have been a good achievement for the game? "Purity First", where you play the entire game without upgrading or purchasing a single augmentation. That would totally be awesome if someone tries that.
I did it on 'Give Me Deus Ex' difficulty. Unless putting weapon mods on the 10mm pistol counts as 'upgrading'.
Vids or GTFO!

I suppose upgrading weapons would count, though now that I think about it it probably wouldn't be too hard if you just know the most efficient way to sneak around. I don't think the AI is quite up to snuff with sneaking.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Jumplion said:
Kopikatsu said:
Jumplion said:

Vids or GTFO!

I suppose upgrading weapons would count, though now that I think about it it probably wouldn't be too hard if you just know the most efficient way to sneak around. I don't think the AI is quite up to snuff with sneaking.
I wish I could. :< I don't know of a way to record videos on a PS3 though.

Also, I didn't do stealth. :p I purposely went out of my way to kill EVERY SINGLE PERSON. (Which meant no sidequests or merchant purchases. Because quest givers are people, too!)

However, I honestly don't think it would be possible if you aren't at least allowed the armor piercing mod for the 10mm pistol. I tried taking down a Heavy with a combat rifle once...yeah, that didn't work out very well. The 10mm pistol takes them down in one headshot though. (You get the armor piercing mod as soon as you go to Jensen's apartment.)

Edit: Oh yeah. You also have to use lethal takedowns on Ogres because I shot one in the head five times with my insta-kill handgun, and he was still alive. D:

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
It's awesome, definitely worthy of the Deus Ex name. I'm loving the game and love all the little references to the original Deus Ex like news articles about the NSF and ads for Versalife.

Though there are a few little niggles in the game. Even though the AI is really good most of the time, it does from on occasion go a bit mental, as I found out when facing the 2nd boss who after being hit with the stun gun stood perfectly still while I unloaded round after round into the back of her head.