So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
Deus ex:HR is the first Deus ex game Ive ever played. Therefore, I judge it by a game itself, and damn it is one fine game.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
This game is great!! People complain about the loading times, but I dong really see where it is a problem in this game, I hardly notice it maybe it is the PC version though, I have no idea

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Zekksta said:
FreakSheet said:
I prefer Stealth, as I find the greatest show of skill being able to get by undetected, and only taking down guards when you absolutely cannot avoid them.
So far in this thread all I'm seeing is how easy stealth is when compared to running and gunning.

I'm buying it next week, hopefully the stealth gameplay isn't stupidly easy or I'll feel pretty ripped off.
It's not that it's easy, but half a second of inaccuracy or unwise separation from cover turns you to mush if people are heating up their heavy machineguns. If you mess up while sneaking, you generally have a better chance of jumping back into the nearest went without being perforated.

Bordersane

Aug 25, 2011
I haven't actually played the original Deus Ex ... is it recommended to play the original before HR? Or can I just jump in?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Aside from the weak lip-syncing and the characters' conversational animations that make me think their skeletons are comprised of bobble-head dolls, I have yet to find anything about this game I don't like, and I'm speaking as someone who didn't play the original game (i.e. I'm not wearing fanboy goggles).

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Bordersane said:
I haven't actually played the original Deus Ex ... is it recommended to play the original before HR? Or can I just jump in?
Human Revolution is the prequel, so you can start with it.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Richard Hannay said:
TheIronRuler said:
I really like to challange myself and set a goal in which I won't kill any guards I come by and finish the game without killing anyone, besides that DAMN TUTORIAL(The first attack).
All of the guards in the tutorial can be avoided. It's tricky in the last of the three "encounters," but if you get down the stairs and into cover as fast as possible (while they're still coming into the room), you can circumvent them.
You just gave me another rewason to replay it! Thanks.

wezzipooh

Apr 2, 2011
I think Human Revolution is the perfect example of a sequel that "streamlines" the right way.

Conversely, Deus Ex: Invisible war (the second one....yes it exists) is the perfect example of how NOT to streamline. It was the most dumbed-down game ive ever played.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Guys, I might wanna pick it up, but how's the stealth?
Is it like creative stealth with lots of variables, or is it more a scripted stealth style?

vermin_

May 16, 2011
Is it like creative stealth with lots of variables, or is it more a scripted stealth style?
To give You a good idea:

Played the BETA two times, now im playing the original one. So I've done the firts mission three times. I play stealthy. Those three times I've completed the mission using different routes, places, etc. So yes, creative. :)

OT: Game is amazing, I can't realy say anything bad about it. As good as the original... if not better. :>

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Absolutely wonderful game, apart from the shitty boss fights.
I was enjoying it a lot, until I got to the first boss, the stupid guy with the gun arm. No way to hack or stealth round him.

After trying to be stealthy before that, the game basically turns round and says "haha, you're doing it wrong, you need to be really good with guns!"

I'm playing on normal mode,and even emptying a few clips into him (or more likely near him as I didn't improve any combat augs) I can't even scratch him, whereas he can kill me in a few shots :(

emptyother

Feb 12, 2008
Alfador_VII said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I was enjoying it a lot, until I got to the first boss, the stupid guy with the gun arm. No way to hack or stealth round him.

After trying to be stealthy before that, the game basically turns round and says "haha, you're doing it wrong, you need to be really good with guns!"

I'm playing on normal mode,and even emptying a few clips into him (or more likely near him as I didn't improve any combat augs) I can't even scratch him, whereas he can kill me in a few shots :(
Yes. But then again i could have accepted the combat if it didn't start with a cutscene of Jensen being stupid, and then starting the battle out in the open like an old western duel but where the bad and the ugly would be wearing a tank.

I played on hard. Here is how i defeated the first two bosses:
Boss 1: Gass grenade, then use the revolver and shot him in the head until he recovers. Throw another grenade (gas/emp/concussion), and empty another magazine into his head with the revolver. He dies.
I couldnt kill him with the sniper, he took 6 shots to the head and a grenade, and still managed to kill me.

Boss 2: Shoot the plasma things on the wall, and then jump 4-5 times to avoid taking too much damage from the electrified floor. Running around and avoiding her while healing, then repeat until she's dead.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Yeah, the boss fights were terrible.

You can cheese the first two fights with some EMP grenades though.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
i found it hard to care about any of the characters around me, especially megan. i won't be the first to point out gamings love of creating love interests that stay on screen for only the tutorials duration before i have to recue them, but that happens here.I ended up liking David Sariff most simply because i got to know him and the nuances of his character were engaging and charming despite the character animation problems.

i hated the relationship being there it felt really unescesary, i work for Sariff why do i need this girl to motivate me(Jensen) to do my job. the relationship seemed so at odds with the overiding themes of the game which expressed itself well through excellent gameplay and world realisation despite a core narrative device being cinematics

It was excellent regardless there are some very clever moments, but i probably won't play it often because of that fault.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
Really the lip sync and some character models are bad. But those are just small problems when this games universe and gameplay is so solid.
Yeah, pretty much what he said. The only other flaw I can think of is the loading times. But neither of those ruin the experience for me. It's still a fantastic game, with excellent gameplay.

Oh and the hacking mini-game is one of the best mini-games I've seen in a game. Period.