So, what are you reading right now?

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, the best way to describe it would be if Tolkien had written Hustle or Leverage, but with pirates added for good measure.

Also trying to read A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway, but its hard going.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Pig Mazurka said:
Nothing currently, but I really want to pick up a copy of 'Lord of the Flies'.
Read this in school, it was kinda good, though a bit disturbing, too.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
The TV show of Game of Thrones got the better of me, so I'm currently reading the first in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R Martin

Pig Mazurka

Mar 28, 2011
bakan said:
Pig Mazurka said:
Nothing currently, but I really want to pick up a copy of 'Lord of the Flies'.
Read this in school, it was kinda good, though a bit disturbing, too.
My English teacher told me I'd be reading it my Senior year, but I don't know if I can wait that long. :|

Alumit

Mar 21, 2010
I'm just playing around with Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species" and Dante's "The Divine Comedy" right now. They're both quite the captivating reads - Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection and all of his notes to prove it and what he experienced when he was out on his five year voyage; and Dante's expansive imagination about his trip to Hell and then ascension to Purgatory and then Heaven stimulates that creative side of my mind. :)

bader0

Dec 7, 2010
this forum by escapist magazine.com

seriously though im reading dragon haven by robin hobb. again

andy25100

Sep 5, 2010
TheEvilCheese said:
andy25100 said:
I'm re-reading the mortal engines quartet & Fever Crumb as they are together excellent novels. The quick background is after a nuclear war changes the landscape for good(the US is a giant crater), a couple thousand year's pass when the city of london decide's to get some tracks and eat other cities leading to every city doing the same, now add some fanatical hippies who don't like traction cities as they have turned most of europe, northern africa & south america into the somme, that's the first three books, the forth complicates it.Without going into spoiler's if steampunk & action is your thing order these books.
YES. I need to read these again.
Like right now.

...actually. I never read fever crumb, after how the quartet ended I was content and had no real desire to get it, is it as good as the others?
you should it's just as good as the first four, it's similar to the first book but with only one not two character's to focus on, as well as a treat to those who have read the first four that you'll see coming if you know where to look.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Yosato said:
The TV show of Game of Thrones got the better of me, so I'm currently reading the first in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R Martin
Exactly that for me also. Got a feeling I will be reading the others after I finish as well.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Four books, off and on:

1) "The Dictators" By Richard Overy. Really interesting book, detailing side by side the life of Hitler and Stalin, their leadership styles and their personalities. It's remarkable how crazy Hitler was. Stalin was utterly ruthless, but he was more or less sane (except for the paranoia which was actually understandable - plenty of people wanted to overthrow him). Hitler, on the other hand, was extremely odd. He refused to be photographed with glasses on his face. He would regularly descend into rage-filled rants for no real reason. He would often just stare at people in the face without cause and he wore clothes while in the shower, due to a pathological fear of being naked at any moment.

2) "We Can Build you" by Philip K. Dick. By far one of his weakest books. I love Philip K. Dick, but this book is just not very good, and it's starting to lose the plot.

3) "The Cambridge Companion to the Roman Republic", which is a collection of historical documents analysing Roman society. Some parts are extremely interesting, while other parts are incomprehensibly dull. Given that I paid over 80 bucks for this book, I feel it was a bad decision. Good books don't have horribly dull parts in the middle of them, and this book has horribly dull parts.

4) Michael Shermer's "The Science of Good and Evil". Not a bad book, but not Shermer's best effort either. Frankly, "Moral Minds" by Marc D. Hauser is a better book, and deals with same issues.

Limer11

Apr 6, 2011
I just finished the sixth book in "keeper of the swords" series by Nick Perumov. Its a great fantasy series but i dont think its been translated to english.

Next up im going to read "the Last Wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
I'm in the middle of reading a few things but the last one that I read most recently that counts for the purpose of this discussion is:
Plates vs Plumes: A geological controversy by Gillian R. Foulger.

This is a book written by one of my lecturers discussing the various merits of two different theories of tectonics. Basically this is our 'unified field theroy' in geology. Most people know about Plate tectonics that create mountains and oceans but very little is known widely about the Plume hypothosis that doesn't simply try and explain why Hawaii is in the middle of a plate but gives a mechanism for tectonics.
The text is obviously bias as Foulger is an advocate of the Plate theory but it's an interesting read so far, I'm a chapter and a half away from finishing and as likely I'll read it again (and probably get her to sign it too!).

WhiteRat07

Some guy
Aug 13, 2009
I am reading The Hobbit, for the seventh time. It has been my favorite book since i was like 12.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Whiptail said:
The da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
I like to read it when I need a laugh. If I recall correctly, none of the characters sleep once over a four day period of constant persuit. Whatever may be said about Dan Brown though, the guy knows how to make a page turner.