Stardock CEO Boycotts UPS Over Fox News

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Who cares?

Games are either bought in a store or downloaded, waiting for a package is more slow than both of these options in most cases.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Brad Wardell is definitely a contradictory fellow, and one of the reasons I always feel conflicted about Stardock. On the one hand, I think he's incredibly business savvy, and applaud his company's policy towards rewarding the (legitimate) end-user without stooping to anti-piracy measures. On the other hand, he's a raving loony who runs a very strongly conservative blog and really is part of the worst strain of neo-cons. Luckily, Stardock is small enough that he doesn't have too much clout, so I don't feel too bad giving my money to his company.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Horticulture said:
Looks like it's time to boycott Stardock.
I think I already have a good start on that; as unintentional as it is.

I like the line: "I'm not a huge fan of FOX. But as a conservative, it is nice that there's one station where my values aren't ridiculed."
It's Fox News that make conservative values a target of ridicule. Guys like Beck and Oreilly make conservatives look like raving lunatics.

I actually like some of the conservative values (small government, conservation of resources, and fiscal conservatism), it's just too bad vocal conservatives have dumped them all for selective religious morals, racism, and class warfare.
Totally this, I WAS conservative before Fox news. I now contend myself as fiercly but sensibly liberal.

I can understand Stardock's point here, but they themselves 'made a stand' by making a stand over UPS making a stand. Never mix politics with business. For all you know, UPS withdrew from Fox because Fox was hurting it's business by association.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
somekindarobot said:
Horticulture said:
Looks like it's time to boycott Stardock.
Nice. With luck, such a boycott of a boycott of a boycott will snowball into a cascade of boycotts that will end up forcing people to live in tiny adobe huts and living off gardens and barrels of rainwater as everybody refuses to buy or sell anything from anyone else because they all hate each others guts.
Ahh yes. Your, of course, speaking of "Hawking's Theory of Repeating Boycott in Suspended Anti-gravitational States". Of course I've always wondered and theorized what would happen if you boycotted Shroedinger's Cat. I guess you would be both boycotting and NOT boycotting at the same time.

Don't even get me started on boycotting alternate universes.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
mrfft said:
Glenn Beck is a mouth piece....mostly spewing falsities.

So boycotting a boycott, whatever, bet UPS doesn't lose much if any business.

Politics is so confusing now-a-days.
mouthpiece of who? If you listened to him you would hear him lambasting republicans as much or more than democrats.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Samurai Goomba said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Malygris said:
[Wardell] explained further on his personal blog at JoeUser.com "But as a conservative, it is nice that there's one station where my values aren't ridiculed."
Perhaps having the same views as someone who says that U.S. President Barack Obama is a racist "with a deep-seated hatred for white people" should have told you something, Mr. Wardell.

Namely that you're views co-align with a news station that trivializes issues, broadcasts mistruths and spouts hate speech.

Perhaps, and this is just a theory, your views might be, dare I say, [small]wrong?[/small]
He just said "where my values aren't ridiculed." He did not say, "I agree with everything that comes out of Glen Beck's mouth."

A lot of people are more have more complicated opinions than 100% liberal or 100% conservative. He just doesn't like being belittled or insulted. I think we can all relate.
Like many other posters have said, it's Fox News--particularly Glen Beck--that belittles and insults Conservatives by presenting them to the world in that way.
But is there really a conservative alternative channel? I'm under the possibly mistaken impression that Fox News is really the only major news channel than leans to the right. Most of the others (in America, anyway) seem either central-left or far-left.

If your choices are between people who ridicule your beliefs and insane nutjobs, isn't it possible you might find yourself defending the nutjobs on occasion? The nuts might be ultimately doing the most harm to your party's image in the long run, but they're probably easier to be around than folks who hate what you stand for (and as is so often the case, hate you by extension). Just hypothesizing here.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Cryo84R said:
mouthpiece of who? If you listened to him you would hear him lambasting republicans as much or more than democrats.
Sorry it's hard to find that in between the "John D. Rockefeller was a commie" and "Everyone in the Armed Services is part of Obama's secret army" bullshit that Beck spouts, among other things.

For all it's worth, I'm going to say this right now. Bias exists everywhere. The important thing to consider is that as humans, especially those living in democracies or republics, have the right to question what they are told. The problem is that, where I might question what I am told in most news sources, a lot of people who watch Fox News refuse to do any sort of questioning, or research; that's what's allowed people like Glen Beck to prosper by lying. And then they have the balls to tell the rest of the country that we're Unamerican when they misrepresent the Founding Fathers or tell our children not to go to school. I can think of nothing more Unamerican than perverting the Declaration of Independence to cite why you're not going to pay taxes anymore, and get it completely wrong. I'm getting off course so let me swing back towards this whole "liberal bias" thing.

The funny thing is that, if anybody bothered to look this up, they'd find that yes, journalists tend lean to the left. However it is the owners of news media who lean to the right. Why? Because the journalists are workers and the media moguls are the "entrepreneurs". This is also why DRM is definetely more of a right-wing idea than a left-wing. DRM is designed to protect the assets of a company. Granted this can be done well, but it frequently isn't, often treating the customer like a criminal.

Having said all that I think there's a fundamental difference between what UPS and other companies have done in response to Glen Beck and what the Stardock CEO is doing, mostly because he's shot himself in the foot by being hypocritical in his actions.

That said I will not be boycotting Stardock, or UPS. As for Glen Beck I'm already boycotting him because I don't have Fox News and even if I did I wouldn't be watching it (probably hypocritical of me in that I had to look up clips to cite examples of how batshit loony he is)

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
"Everyone in the Armed Services is part of Obama's secret army" bullshit that Beck spouts"

Where did he say that? Beck has a pretty signifigant audience at the base I'm on and I know I would have heard something like that.

My suggestion: Find out shit for yourself. I don't comment on Jerry springer supposed opinions because I don't know for a fact they are indeed his.

I know it's hip to hate shit at the drop of a hat, but baisic intellectual honesty, please.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Amnestic said:
CUnk said:
I see a number of posts in this thread expressing support for Stardock. For that reason I have decided to boycott The Escapist.
For your boycott of the Escapist, I'm going to boycott you.

And then subsequently boycott your boycott of me.

/TTOCYOB
If Cthulu (or some other Eldritch Abomination) suddenly emerges from a rip in space time to kill us all, then I blame you. Stop destabilizing space-time.

OT: Stardock CEO is a hypocrite, and Glenn Beck is still a raving lunatic supported by people who agree with him or are shameless about profiting from fear and hatred.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
Zorbia said:
Kudos to UPS, Glenn Beck propaganda is destroying our country. If Glenn doesn't like Obama, wait 3 years, then campaign against him. Don't disrespect the Office of the president of the United States in order to sell books and get higher ratings. Glenn Beck is trash
As far as STARDOCK goes, "shame on you I hope you realize you are hurting yourself by taking sides with these drug addict drunk.
So the CONSTANT mocking of George Bush when he was president was perfectly fine...... I love this hypocrisy that people display when saying not to "disrespect the president" weren't these the people who were saying just a year ago that dissension is patriotic? I happen to agree that dissension is patriotic. If you CHALLENGE the accepted authority, there is nothing wrong with that. The other news stations praise the current administration, not challenge it.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
1.[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-KGukuety0#t=3m20s[/link]
2.[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI_0Kt_e3Go[/link]
3.[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aigoscTpwus#t=3m13s[/link]
4.[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJr4mCN24vY#t=2m31s[/link]
Fun times in Beckland.

I think #2 is a good enough reason to boycott FOX, when the network never demanded an apology, and he later stated on his radio show that was in fact what he believed.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Good for them. Boycott Glen Beck, not Fox News.

I'm going to boycott CNN because Wolf Blitzer is a douche.

*rolls eyes*

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Well. Looks like that's another company I liked that I'm currently going to ignore.

Glenn Beck is Supported by Fox News, so if you don't like Glenn Beck you boycott the company.

If I ran a company that had a rapist on staff, I knew they were a rapist, but I supported them anyways, I am no better than my employee.

Not saying he is a rapist [http://didglennbeckrapeandmurderayounggirlin1990.com/], he may not be.

Cortheya said:
Zorbia said:
Kudos to UPS, Glenn Beck propaganda is destroying our country. If Glenn doesn't like Obama, wait 3 years, then campaign against him. Don't disrespect the Office of the president of the United States in order to sell books and get higher ratings. Glenn Beck is trash
As far as STARDOCK goes, "shame on you I hope you realize you are hurting yourself by taking sides with these drug addict drunk.
So the CONSTANT mocking of George Bush when he was president was perfectly fine...... I love this hypocrisy that people display when saying not to "disrespect the president" weren't these the people who were saying just a year ago that dissension is patriotic? I happen to agree that dissension is patriotic. If you CHALLENGE the accepted authority, there is nothing wrong with that. The other news stations praise the current administration, not challenge it.
How often did they make shit up though?

Then again how many times so far has the Obama administration made up shit that lead to war? Don't get me wrong, if that DOES happen, I'll be all over him. But I don't think you are comparing apples to apples here.

Challenging someone on what they are actually doing is cool, lying or lying through suggestive statements is a terrible action that is a few notches below treason. If the president isn't butchering babies you don't tell people they are, if the president isn't beating old people you don't tell people they are, if the president isn't setting up death panels or stabbing white folks you don't tell people they are.

There is a difference between an opinion and defamation of character.

To be fair to all sides, basically if it a 24 hour news channel, it is full of bullshit.

However you have to look at which bullshit is leading to real people getting hurt. That guy who got his finger bitten off wouldn't have been in that situation if Fox wasn't skewing reality. Just as an example.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm with Wardell. Conservatives are and have been portrayed in the liberal media as race-baiting, callous, uneducated sleazebags to the point where "Republican" has as many negative stereotypes attached to it as any other pejorative term.

I don't necessarily agree with Glenn Beck all the time either (saying "diversity is a disease" is a pretty good way to prove he's a frothing racist), but a blanket and very public boycott of the only right-wing news source out there over one rabble-rousing idiot?

Plus, I'm not entirely convinced even Beck believes all the racist hate speech he's spewing on-air. I think Beck's like O'Reilly and Colbert, playing a character because it gets ratings and ensures he gets to keep a job in this economy.