Status
Not open for further replies.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
To be fair, he's not necessarily. He might just hate us all so much he wants to annoy us irrespective of what he's actually arguing. Of course, what tends to happen is that doing so genuinely radicalises. People start trying to merely aggravate other users or playing devil's advocate with no investment, but they end up increasingly believing in their argument.

Although I think you have to get the mindset of some people. Houseman posted a cartoon which I think sums up how many conservatives - and possibly Houseman himself - views lefties. There's a nice, neat, respectable MAGA-hatted, cleanly shaven man calmly drinking coffee being raged at by a scatty girl in what a conservative might call slutty clothes, with messy hair and ripped tights.

They think progressives are scum. Chaotic, messy, disreputable, irresponsible, hysterical scum who upset their nice, orderly world. They are disgusted by progressives, and disgust is a very powerful emotion. That I suspect is why AOC dresses with near-military orderliness: because she needs to visibly show she is not the rabble that they want to think she is. When they storm the capital, that's not a mob, that is them protecting themselves from you. They are the people of law and order, and they are still the people of law and order even when they break the law and cause disorder, because that's the only way to protect REAL law and order from progressives.
But here's the issue. The hate comes from Perception. And you can't do anything about that.

I'm an 80's baby. I remember how it used to be between Democrats and Republicans. Cordial. I wouldn't say friendly, but I would say there was respect. Because we had to LIVE with our neighbors. We had to find common ground. They were our community.

Now? We're in a community now. I'm in Florida. Trunkage is in Brisbane. MrCalavera is in Poland. Gordon_4 is in Australia. I don't have to care anything about my neighbors now. So we can all live in bubbles. Never challenged. Supported. Radicalized further and further...

More over, the problem with Perception is that if you can convince yourself you're always in the right, you can stoop to any act and feel justified. You ignored someone in the street asking for help? They probably were a drug addict who could have went home and decided on a life of crime. You saw an act of wanton violence committed by someone You revere? You don't have all of the facts and all of the story, soweI must save judgment and keep the revered party protected at all cost. You joined into a Mob? It wasn't a mob, they were freedom fighters and we were forced to action.

100,000 people were convinced by Qanon vs 1 person in Pizzagate. In four years. That increase in number is blood chilling. It's sadly a call for censorship due to the radicalization of an entire segment of a political party.

And there the cultists sit. Wrapped in their perceptions and delusions, assured that they alone have the temerity to strike a blow for true freedom.

We're talking about deprogramming for simply millions of people. How does one even begin tackling that?

Reactions: SckizoBoy and Agema

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
May I take a moment to remind everyone that Saelune was basically right? About how this would end if these people had their power taken away from them.

Saelune was assaulted by many of the right-wing members of this forum. She did curse. She did rail on. But in the end, she was right that the Trump Administration would lead to violence and lawlessness. And she was banned because she was told once too often to shut up, and she didn't take that lightly.

We have members who continue to push the lies that got a person shot today.

I can not fathom that.

The way Italy dealt with Mussolini
You want him to become a Martyred Saint? Better to have the legal system show evidence of all of his crimes and have him pay for it.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Should we be reporting Houseman here? I mean, I'm pretty sure that open support of terrorism should get you in some trouble with the TOS. Would the Escapist be okay if I was openly pro-ISIS for example?
Yes

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Months ago, I decided "you know, the escapist forums no not bring me joy, only frustration, I should just stop visiting". And you know what, my mood improved considerably.

Today, I got morbidly curious and came back. And immediately remember why I left.

Same as usual. People generally in agreement that "Bad Thing Is Bad", with one person doing the gaslight tap dance, driving everyone up the wall.

You have said that you do things to get reactions out of people
What? No I don't, why would you think that?
Maybe because in just about every thread you post in, you do the same damn thing.

Devil's advocate, Devil's advocate, strongly worded "AHA! Where are the people who said X when Y happenned! I'll wait!" and/or whataboutism, Devil's advocate, Devil's advocate, disagreement about semantics, devil's advocate, conspiratorial comment that's heavily argued against, "You don't decide what truth is", Devil's advocate, "why can't you empathize with these people, you just hate people you politically disagree with", Devil's advocate, Devil's advocate, ....And then the coup de grace when people demand a yes/no answer "What, yes, of COURSE I agree that Thing Is Bad, where did I EVER say that I agreed with them? Why do you keep thinking I don't?"

or, TLDR, The Gaslight Tap Dance,

Which, in just about every thread you post in, you proceed to derail most discussion of what's going on by making people argue angrily with your carefully worded never-quite-a-provable-lie word pretzels.

And you openly """WONDER""" why people think you're just trying to get a reaction out of people.

---

In any case, to everyone else, I'm going back to my self-imposed vacation / exile. Just reading this one thread raised my blood pressure by a significant amount, and I don't need that in my life.

To any of y'all who have me on steam or discord or whatever, DO let me know if Houseman ever leaves the site for good, otherwise I'm unlikely to stick my head back in again.

Peace, and stay safe.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
So, this is fun, it looks like trumps manic tweets have gotten a bunch of his supporters to storm congress, stopping the counting of electoral ballets.

Sounds like the members of congress are hunkering down in their offices since no one has any idea the motives and potential weapons these people have but the DC mayor has issued a 6pm curfew and it sounds like the national guard might be on the way.

Bunch of snowflakes. "Very nice people".

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bunch of snowflakes. "Very nice people".
Pretty much. Also the woman who was shot has died so now there is a body count. We shall see how things develop now that the curfew is in effect. I'll bet most of these people will disperse and there will be nothing tomorrow, but we will probably see something else like this on inauguration day.

Reactions: Trunkage

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
In any case, to everyone else, I'm going back to my self-imposed vacation / exile. Just reading this one thread raised my blood pressure by a significant amount, and I don't need that in my life.

To any of y'all who have me on steam or discord or whatever, DO let me know if Houseman ever leaves the site for good, otherwise I'm unlikely to stick my head back in again.
You could just block me, and then you wouldn't be able to see my posts unless you click a button. I wouldn't want to stop you from enjoying this site.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Supporters who try to tell you BLM is bad are supporting literal domestic terrorist bombers. You want to talk about 'just as bad'? Defending this is just as bad as being a member of ISIS. This should not be allowed anywhere.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Trump supporters might have sent a bomb by mail to the DNC, don't let apologists for domestic terrorists fool you. Just remove them from society.

Status
Not open for further replies.