Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This is also known as the Slippery Slope Fallacy.

You really do get to limit things in any way you like when you're running a for profit business and you can do it without any evidence or research because it is your business. You might not like it, but that's how free market capitalism works.

The principles that are the foundational blocks of the society that grants you the capacity to run businesses do not become suspended or less valid or valuable philosophically just because you are a business. This is some kinda capitalist myth that corporations have different sorts of rights and that when a corporation is eschewing a foundational block of our reality that it's less dire than if Bob down the corner were to do it.

You have a right to be tyrannical, sure, but I sure as hell am also gonna call you that if you are being a tyrant, despite having that right.

What is the benefit of NOT calling them tyrranical? What is the point of defending them? Are we all ancap libertarians all of a sudden? Dafuk?

And I'd say we've slipped so far down this slope where they're banning expression people who are supposed to be offended by can't even physically experience when using the default state of the website they're on and need to be made aware of it by someone else to the degree where it's definitely not a fallacy. First they banned the slurs and bad words, then they ban traps and other slang because random idiots who don't get the subculture were offended, now they're banning innocuous terms that have nothing to do with the supposed victims, that the victims can't even perceive. It's pretty damn slippery alright lol.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

Ok, just going to quote this bit, cause irony.
There's no irony there. Nothing remotely close to logic and sense being eroded is occuring when one calls their playthrough blind. It's idiocy like saying "black hole" is racist. That's not what the word means in that context. Words have contextual meanings that can vary and you do not get to pick the one you want and judge every use of a term as if it's that one meaning, irrespective of context. Language doesn't work that way. You can't make it work that way. You can't act as if it works that way when it doesn't.

I'll give you an example of twitch applying this; there was this WoW stream where people were making Nagas jokes, and while Nagas are a race of serpentine humanlike monsters that originate from Hindu myth, the people on twitch were using it as a substitute for a slur for black people, so the word Naga was banned because the context in which people were using it made it have a different meaning.

So yeah, they already had been applying the logic I'm laying out here with regards to the same word having different meanings. They're just being inconsistent and do not stick to the principle when it suits them not to if they can get some virtue signal points out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Someone from "The Left" got a job on the "Diversity and Inclusiveness" team, because their degrees in "Women's studies" and "Gender roles" didn't give them any other marketable skills.
A terrible degree that gives you the power to control the words people are allowed to use? Yeah, that degree sounds awful.

Reactions: deleted20220709

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's not the death of western civilization because this is a cancer that can be cut out and negated if we act now. But it is the beginnings of the very long, gradual death, that will not feel like death until it's already died and nobody is any wiser for it, sure.

When people point out things that are detrimental, it doesn't have to be the case that the detriment will be instantaneous or observable in an ostentatious way. Our principles of logic and sense being eroded is plenty enough.
My dude, they made the tag more logical and rational. "Spoiler free play through" is more descriptive and easier to translate than "blind play through". Using "blind" to describe going into something sight-unseen is an idiom.

Ok, just going to quote this bit, cause irony.
Hey, we're talking about the tagging system on a streaming website, not drawings of naked fictional children, this is serious. 🧐

Reactions: deleted20220709

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
My dude, they made the tag more logical and rational. "Spoiler free play through" is more descriptive and easier to translate than "blind play through". Using "blind" to describe going into something sight-unseen is an idiom.
Spoiler free could mean that the player is going to avoid giving spoiler for the game they're playing even if they already played it. Ultimately "blind playtrhough" is an established term that the community knows. It's like metroidvania, you don't need to have played a metroid/castlevenia to know what it means and it can be used to refer to game outside those franchise.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Spoiler free could mean that the player is going to avoid giving spoiler for the game they're playing even if they already played it. Ultimately "blind playtrhough" is an established term that the community knows. It's like metroidvania, you don't need to have played a metroid/castlevenia to know what it means and it can be used to refer to game outside those franchise.
...it's a video stream. It's fundamentally impossible to avoid spoilers. Maybe if you're speed-running, but if you're speed running a game you aren't doing a blind play through either.

Mostly though, it doesn't matter. Renaming the tag isn't another nail in the coffin of logic and rationality in the west

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Personally, I think "Spoiler free play through" is doubleplusungood

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What if someone is playing through the game blind, but doesn't mind spoilers in the chat?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Eh, fair enough. Might make it easier for VI streamers to advertise themselves if "blind" isn't being used in a metaphorical sense. Not like English is so limited a language that we can't get by without it.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Twitch does retarded shit, what a surprise. That website is fucking garbage anyway.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
That's just retarded.

Sorry, it's mentally challenged. Or intellectually deficient? What's the PC term these days? I don't want to offend any morons who might be reading this.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

But that's not accurate when used in place of blind playthrough. Spoiler-free is more lax of a definition than blind. Spoiler free can allow for you to know non-spoiler things. For example, to some people's definition it isn't a spoiler to know what sorts of weapons or skills you use, cause those don't come up in the plot of the game or in missions but are purely gameplay-related. Meanwhile in a blind playthrough you'd also not be aware of any such information on TOP of spoilers, because you're actually going in blind.

But yeah I'm all for calling it something better if we can come to that consensus as a community and not by the decree of the eternally concerned.

First glimpse playthrough? Blackout playthrough? Cave playthrough? That last one may not be too apparent but I think all of them are more accurate than spoiler free.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wait, people still do that?

Might as well call it a MurderBaitDate
Met my girlfriend on a blind date. 8 years next March.
Come think of it that doesn't answer if people "still do that". Because, you know, 8 years. But I'm sure only a manageable amount of people are killed in them.