TF2 Rip-Off game: Really a Rip-Off?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Oh yes, it's a rip-off because it has a similar premise and similar weapons.

No. No, it's not: it has a distinctly different art style and looks to be very different gameplay-wise as well.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
A quick skim through their actual site shows that the idea behind the combat is you make your own avatar (customizable etc) so its not a class based game. And that you can pick up each and every weapon (which is most likely the 'power up' looking thing in the video). So it really just sounds more like a generic death match game instead of a tf2 class/squad game.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
It's been said before, but to reinforce it;

Toy Story meets TF2.

Third-person shooters are also quite difficult, at least in my opinion they're a tad harder than the point and click that FPS has shown.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Of course this isn't a rip off, all the characters are girls and robots, plus it is third person!
/sarcasm
Why would anyone do this? It looks like a mod for TF2, they changed the character models, stuck in a custom rat map, and now trying to sell it. Even the Demo grenades look just like the TF2 grenades. But where are the spy and engie? did anyone see a pyro?
I hope this never makes the leap across the pacific.
Plus, this will be a direct " competitor " (lol) with TF2. But are they going to price it below $20? if they don't, then TF2 not only will be better, it will be cheaper.

Tareth

Dec 14, 2008
I would be surprised if this game became popular or even came out. I hate games that are just like another game with a different name (Halo/Gears of War).

WaffleGod

Oct 22, 2008
The more I look at this. The more I notice howmuch it rips off TF2... Seriously... Valve, sue them!

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
I believe you can work this out in a simple equation.

TF2 X Army Men - charm = a pile of shit.

Even the sound effects are exactly the same, for Gawd's sake.

DragunovHUN

Jan 10, 2009
You guys are absoloutely unreasonable. This is a Toy Story knockoff. And going by your logic, so is TF2.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I started watching it and at first it wasn't that bad. But then when I saw the one girl double jump and beat that chick with a baseball bat, I knew that it was definitely a rip-off. This is almost exactly Team Fortress 2 with skins and a custom map. Even the music and the crit sounds are the same. It's sad really that someone would not realize that their game totally stole from Team Fortress. I mean, stylized class based red vs blue action game?

Tareth said:
I would be surprised if this game became popular or even came out. I hate games that are just like another game with a different name (Halo/Gears of War).
... are you saying that Gears of War is just like Halo? That's like saying BioShock is the same game as Damnation.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
nickkos said:
Oh my...valve is going to shit a brick
You mean the developers of this game are going to shit a brick. And wipe with the subpoena that they will be getting.

The grenades, the sniper rifle, sounds and scope, the heavy weapon, the damned ubercharge, the bat, the rocket launcher, even the music sounds pretty damn similar.

I think I saw everything but the spy, the engie and the medic, but I guess we'll get that in a patch.
I saw something similar to the medic beam from hi gun following the scout rip-off at around 1:36... you know, just to make the outrage worse.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Just to clarify, I do think this is interesting, it could go far (in the east), it could well be a really good game, but it is far too similar to a game that came out not even two years ago. Homages are one thing, but this is far far too soon and not enough effort put into at least changing the way the weapons and rounds look.

Even if you don't feel it is a rip-off, it's far too similar to be taken seriously, despite it possibly not being a class based game.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Tareth said:
popdafoo said:
.. are you saying that Gears of War is just like Halo? That's like saying BioShock is the same game as Damnation.
He's right, I was thinking the same thing. That being said most people can't really explain how halo is ripping off another game, because it probably isn't true. Gears, maybe so.