The “WTF?!” Thread

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A couple days ago, I was driving by a house a couple streets away from mine, and saw two ominous white trucks parked in front of a house that was completely roped off with red tape with the word "DANGER" printed on it (think "CAUTION" tape.) Come to find, the rear neighbor to said house belongs to a friend of ours who came over to return a table she'd borrowed and she told us there'd been an explosion, and the house belong to a troubled young man, and his girlfriend and another person had died in that house several years ago. We still don't know the cause of the explosion, but fortunately, it doesn't appear anyone was harmed in this most recent instance. But "WTF," why the "DANGER" tape?? Glad the house is far enough away that if it blows up again, we needn't worry. I'm worried about our friend who shares a rear fence with it, though...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'd say that "CAUTION" doesn't quite carry enough emphasis when an explosion is involved.
Not suggesting it should be "CAUTION" tape; I'm more curious how taping off an entire home with a single strand of "DANGER" tape is sufficiently supposed to dissuade anyone from putting themselves in "danger" out of morbid curiosity. Like, shouldn't the situation be diffused, or active units on sight diffusing the situation before driving off and leaving "DANGER" tape as a place holder? I mentioned the white trucks; they weren't marked. No "police," no "fire department," no "Haz-Mat," etc., just two blank, white trucks with covered beds. I'm assuming the vehicle operators were inside, but shouldn't someone be outside dissuading curious parties from nosing around? WTF?!?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Not suggesting it should be "CAUTION" tape; I'm more curious how taping off an entire home with a single strand of "DANGER" tape is sufficiently supposed to dissuade anyone from putting themselves in "danger" out of morbid curiosity. Like, shouldn't the situation be diffused, or active units on sight diffusing the situation before driving off and leaving "DANGER" tape as a place holder? I mentioned the white trucks; they weren't marked. No "police," no "fire department," no "Haz-Mat," etc., just two blank, white trucks with covered beds. I'm assuming the vehicle operators were inside, but shouldn't someone be outside dissuading curious parties from nosing around? WTF?!?
Okay, that's definitely a "WTF" thing.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah the lack of anything else and just two unmarked vehicles says to me one of two things. A very badly run operation, or one with an incredibly broad remit who’s reputation alone would be enough to make basically everyone give them a wide berth.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would pay money to see what this version of Mickey and Minnie are up to. Hop to it Disney!

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Cops rob traveler, framed as a feel good story

There's all sorts of laws around transporting hard currency. Like, if I take more than (I think its) $10,000 cash out of the country I have to declare it on a form. As long as I do that, and the reason is legitimate, then its all kosher. So having an undeclared hundred grand on you travelling over seas is one of those "Please explain" moments.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The Queen's death is going to be huge, that's for sure. Now she has done good things, like being a nurse during WW2 and the like, and that is admirable.
But she's still "Queen". At state banquets, when she's done eating, the meal is over. She's 95 years old and after a few sips of soup she's off to bed, and the entire banquet people have spent weeks planning and hours cooking and getting dressed for is over. Because her special magical chosen blood gets to determine meal time for political heads of state from other countries.
Hmmm yeah, but that's pretty much a nominal tradition. The Queen tends to just finish what she wants to eat, and then just keep a fork or spoon in hand for a while so the meal isn't over.