The 50 Most Boring Opinions In Geek Culture - Part I

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I'm guessing Bob still hasn't actually played ME3.
This list isn't really a "You're right" or "You're wrong"

It's a "Shut the fuck up about it already!" And in regards to Mass Effect 3, yeah people need to shut the fuck up about it already. The amount of bile toward it at this point, no game ending is that bad. It's a massive overreaction, as is common in geek culture.
My point still stands. He was being judgmental about a fanbase's reaction without consuming the product himself.

WiseBass

Apr 29, 2011
The "cutscene" issue depends on the game. Some games that I've played were extremely story-centered, to the point where the actual gameplay felt like an add-on. You could just as easily call them "interactive movies", but we don't have a category for that, so they get lumped into "video games".

Warhammer 40K doesn't take itself remotely seriously. The "grimdark" is so over-the-top awful that it's hilarious.

It's a massive overreaction, as is common in geek culture.

All too true. Geeks tend to bandwagon like crazy once something has become the dominant opinion, and you can see it with the Star Wars Prequels, among other things. At the time, people bitched a bit about Jar-Jar, but overall the movies were well-received. Then some fans who really hated kept on pushing on the issue, geek "mass opinion" started switching, and then suddenly everyone thinks its trash.

And we don't even have to get into all the issues with Meme-Tardism . . .

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I think most fans of FF9 would agree 41 is some serious baloni.
Im also aware that (on this site especially) saying FF9 is the bestestest FF is kinda over done... even if its true.

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
I think the whole internet could stand to take a massive dose of #44

Azaraxzealot said:
What I'm getting from this is "if you don't like something, just shut up and let it be."

That's the kind of attitude that creates dystopian societies.

The right to be able to say when we don't like something is something we deserve. The right to complain en masse has served to create some great things, like the women's rights, civil rights, getting rid of child labor, taking lead out of children's toys, granting consumer rights...

Pretty much all progressive changes come from people just complaining. Sure this is just stuff in nerd culture (which may seem trivial) but "boring" as they may seem, maybe we should stop and consider they're boring because change is so slow that we have to KEEP making the complaints.
This isn't telling people to stop complaining about working conditions after the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, It's telling nerds to stop whining over the Mass Effect ending

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
corneth said:
I think the whole internet could stand to take a massive dose of #44

Azaraxzealot said:
What I'm getting from this is "if you don't like something, just shut up and let it be."

That's the kind of attitude that creates dystopian societies.

The right to be able to say when we don't like something is something we deserve. The right to complain en masse has served to create some great things, like the women's rights, civil rights, getting rid of child labor, taking lead out of children's toys, granting consumer rights...

Pretty much all progressive changes come from people just complaining. Sure this is just stuff in nerd culture (which may seem trivial) but "boring" as they may seem, maybe we should stop and consider they're boring because change is so slow that we have to KEEP making the complaints.
This isn't telling people to stop complaining about working conditions after the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, It's telling nerds to stop whining over the Mass Effect ending
As opposed to people complaining about Dragon Age 2(Which also had a terrible leadup to the ending BTW), and Bioware actively working to fix the other chief complaint for DA3?

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
I'm sorry, but Heinlein's Starship Troopers is far superior then the Fascist tripe that Paul Verhoeven gave us back in '97. The novel is a classic. Despite the fact that it was written in 1959, the story hasn't gotten dated, its still relevant. Hell, the novel has been credited with the origin of the ideas of Powered Armor suits and the Screensaver!

Its not one of my top favorite Science Fiction novels, it ranks very high on that list.

To those who haven't read the book, I STRONGLY suggest you give it a try.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
This list isn't really a "You're right" or "You're wrong"

It's a "Shut the fuck up about it already!" And in regards to Mass Effect 3, yeah people need to shut the fuck up about it already. The amount of bile toward it at this point, no game ending is that bad. It's a massive overreaction, as is common in geek culture.
My point still stands. He was being judgmental about a fanbase's reaction without consuming the product himself.
The point though is that he doesn't have to. That's just a pathetic attempt to smack down criticism. Nobody has to even bother playing Mass Effect to know that the screaming fits were completely unwarranted, and much of the Mass Effect fanbase needed to grow the hell up.
Well, I would say smacking down the criticism of the people who actually played the game (as opposed to Bob) as being childish is pretty pathetic. :p

(I'm, BTW, referring more to Bob's original reaction to the ME3 ending.)

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
47. Putting nipples on the bat-suit ruined the Batman movies.

No they didn't.

46. Joel Schumacher ruined Batman.

No he didn't.
I don't get you, Movie Bob. I just do not get your insistent defense of Joel Schumacher. Somewhere between Batman Forever and Batman & Robin he forgot that he was taking back Batman for the kids and instead took it back for the gay Hollywood directors. To coin an analogy, it is as if the movie going public had followed the familiar jingle of an ice cream truck, but then found itself being served a suggestively shaped popsicle by a pair of Chippendales and a Hooters girl. In just under two hours the movie just pretty much annihilated the chances of significant amounts of parents ever letting the Batman franchise anywhere near their children ever again.

And that's why you will never get your version of Batman. Which is why I don't get why you spend so much of your time defending Schumacher from decades old attacks.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
Perhaps Bob should have titled this list "Overused/Unoriginal Opinions In Geek Culture" cause otherwise it kind of sounds like Bob doesn't like people speaking their minds. My rule is as long as someone can explain the reasons behind their opinion then I'm opening to listening. Just parroting popular opinion from one side or another is very boring and annoying, which if that is what Bob is aiming at then I agree.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Theoretically, can't any argument still be interesting as long as the person making the argument is interesting?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Of course he hasn't. As it's been very well documented in the past (he even said it himself) that he says things to get attention. He likes it when people pay attention to him even if he has to say something that annoys people due to his lack of research.

Honestly, the way I deal with the occasional incredibly ignorant things Bob can say, is I ignore him. Best thing to do really.

Bhaalspawn said:
The point though is that he doesn't have to. That's just a pathetic attempt to smack down criticism. Nobody has to even bother playing Mass Effect to know that the screaming fits were completely unwarranted, and much of the Mass Effect fanbase needed to grow the hell up.
However it is one thing to smack down criticism after having taken time to learn about the grievances and the like. (See here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5548-Changing-A-Games-Ending-And-Destroying-Art] on how to properly deal with these situations, and here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5525-Mutants-and-Masses] how not to.)

Jim handled it with respect and objectivity. Bob however handled it childishly and used it as a grab for attention.

I think more the irritation with the addition of this grievance to this "Boring Opinons" is Bob dragging this worthless corpse out again without having given it a good, and intellectually honest look for himself just so he can have some more attention. As I stated above.
Best to just ignore it and move on.

(Yes I know I'm giving him attention by proxy since I'm leaving a comment, but I felt I needed to speak out.)

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Quoth the bob:
"28. Fast zombies aren't "real" zombies.

I don't care for fast zombies, but the "real" ones people talk about usually means George Romero's zombies, which of course bear little to no resemblance to the actual cultural traditions from whence the term "zombie" originated.

I'd elaborate on that, but just pointing that out again has officially qualified me for this list."

my conclusion:
zombies are stupid fast or slow it's a classic example of applying logic where it does not belong
i worry about people that do that, it seems to demonstrate a lack of ability to recognize reality and fiction
and those people can become dangerous fanatics

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Wait.. People don't like Adam West's Batman? Oh my God.. I never knew humans had such capacity for evil! How can you NOT love Adam West's Batman?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
47. Putting nipples on the bat-suit ruined the Batman movies.
I've seriously never heard this one.

44. You only think [movie/show/game] is good because you saw it when you were a kid.
Annoys me because I seem to be the 1/10. Looking back at the shows I watched, most of them were crap. If I like something, it's probably stood the test of time.

41. Cutscenes ruin videogames and are unnecessary.
But...but...Immersion!

38. Hollywood has run out of original ideas.

The audience, meanwhile, has run out of original complaints.
Considering this same statement has been uttered since at least the 70s, yes.
27. The Transformers movies
Could have stopped there. Just about EVERYTHING about the Transformers movies has been done to death. I get it. they suck. People hate them. Michael Bay sucks. People hate him. Giant robot testicles. Yawn.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Also, speed ramping is a tool. It's just the new tool to be overused. I don't hate it. In fact, I think it can be pretty awesome.

Aiddon said:
41. More like "Because JAPAN likes cutscenes they ruin games" Though no one has the balls to actually just ADMIT they're a bigot
Well, that was random.

Seagoon said:
Wait.. People don't like Adam West's Batman? Oh my God.. I never knew humans had such capacity for evil! How can you NOT love Adam West's Batman?!

For starters, I'm not human. PERISH, MEATBAGS!

...Errr, ignore that last statement. I am fond of you meatbags.

Rogue 09 said:
Yes, and we should stop having discussions about abortion, gun control, and the environment because we've already heard all the arguments for and against, right? Just because you lost interest doesn't mean that the topic isn't deserving of further consideration.
Wait, what? Did you just compare Bat-Nipples to abortion?

Just like no scientist gathers up all the information in their field and says "We've been doing this for a long while, we're through now"
In part because there's actually new data coming in on a fairly regular basis. If science had nothing left to explain or explore in a field, why would it continue? So let's go with your example. Can you think of the last time new insight was offered on the lack of Hollywood originality? Or Bat-Nipples? Or Transformers?

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
Yes, and we should stop having discussions about abortion, gun control, and the environment because we've already heard all the arguments for and against, right? Just because you lost interest doesn't mean that the topic isn't deserving of further consideration.

Just like no scientist gathers up all the information in their field and says "We've been doing this for a long while, we're through now", neither should anyone feel that they need to refrain from voicing legitimate grievances because you've become so lazy and inept you no longer feel like hearing them. You're a mad little despot of a hill made of beans, claiming to be Lord of all things fandom. I did not kneel at your inauguration and I do not heed your foolhardy proclamations now.

You, "Bob", are the disease in all geek culture. The one that rants and raves in a little tantrum of your own twisted whims, and when you are brought to task you sulk because the world does not see you in the prism you've grown in your mind's eye. You're a Batman villain, all frills and fancy words describing the truth of the world as you so clearly see it, all the while your true home is a padded room where they can try to cure you of your delirium.

As much as it hurts me to say it, you're the escapist's front line nerd. They need you in the trenches fighting the good fight, and not sitting on the sideline lamenting how fruitless the argument is. Get off your hill, close down Wikipedia, and get back into the fight. You can rest when the Escapist replaces you with someone competent.
Wow, that was one of the most hilariously over the top ragegasm freakouts I've ever seen.

I have no idea what Bob does different from every other commentator on the internet to attract these sorts of responses so regularly