The BEST FPS game of all time [your opinoins]

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
ciortas1 said:
I can't put it to you in any simpler terms either. You're telling me a game whose dated gameplay and graphics you can't stand (implied by you saying you would not think of playing it over modern games) is your favourite game. I submit to everyone else who might read this - who's making more sense here?
You're completely missing the point, and I never said I can't stand it. I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who is obviously trolling so I will let it be.

Steam Colossus

Aug 17, 2010
For me? Modern Fallout (3 and NV I count them as one game) and the Bioshock series. OMG they're both FPSRPGs! You can guess what I like :D

[sub]Oh! and Oblivion[/sub]

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Marathon, at least based on the standards of games that came out then. Other than that it is a tie between Crysis, HL2 and Halo: CE

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Steam Colossus said:
For me? Modern Fallout (3 and NV I count them as one game) and the Bioshock series. OMG they're both FPSRPGs! You can guess what I like :D

[sub]Oh! and Oblivion[/sub]
Mass Effect?

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Anybody that says "Goldeneye" is total, TOTAL fail...

For my money, Half-Life is the best game ever made. There's never been anything as fresh and revolutionary as it was at the time. Following on from that, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are two of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, so they have to be right up there.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
TF2. In a world of gritty realistic shooters this one dared to be funny and camp. And I love it for that. Plus Pyro is one of my favorite game characters ever. He is like a slasher villain with a flame throwers.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Old school: GoldenEye 007
New School: Modern Warfare

I actually still have GoldenEye hooked up to a tv and enjoy it more than many modern games. I happen to think it holds up remarkably well.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I've probably been ninja'd but anyway:

DOOM.

Related topic: best third person shooter?

Space Invaders.

Bad Marmoset

Jan 7, 2011
I'm going to have to go for Borderlands as the most pure fun I've had with an FPS. Gearbox got almost everything just right in the mechanics department, plus you got to melt and set fire to people in one of the most wonderful game environments I've come across.
If I had to pick the 'all-out best ever' shooter I would go for the first Bioshock, which is possibly one of my favourite games of all time and I don't usually play this genre. Not as much unadulterated fun as Borderlands but much more rewarding in other ways.
Honorable mentions to FEAR 2, Crysis Warhead and the first Modern Warfare.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Well you said BEST rather than favourite (which is Goldeneye, still considered my personal best to me).

I'd have to say probably Half Life 2 or Timesplitters 2 in terms of best from an overall standpoint though. I haven't seen any other shooters that have matched it or been as innovative.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Timesplitters for pure awesome local gameplay

Bad Company 2 for amazing team fun over huge maps.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Half Life 2 for sure. No surprises there.
This^

Great characters, great levels, great enemies, it's just about got the lot.

Though I invested the most time into skulking around in STALKER and its punishing wasteland. As far as exercises in masochism go, it's an acquired taste.

The-Bad-Blooded

Jan 6, 2011
The Original HALO comes to mind...
it was just a great start, I mean, with music, gameplay mechanics, and diverse enemies...
I'm not as much of a fan of the newer games though... except for Reach