The Big Picture: Link Be A Lady

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
^ beat me too it. But I'll repeat anyway.

When are people [read: Bob] going to bother learning what misogyny actually is?

So many use the word where it doesn't apply, usually synonymously with sexism, which is incorrect.

Napoleon said:
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
This just in, the Japanese make incredibly effeminate male characters.

No, we don't want Link to be female. We want another Zelda game to actually star Zelda. Randomly gender flipping a character isn't a revolution or interesting, it's, "We can't be bothered to actually use a FEMALE character that WE ALREADY HAVE AND HAVE HAD FOR AGES" with a side of, "WE COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY COME UP WITH AN ORIGINAL FEMALE CHARACTER INSTEAD."

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
INeedAName said:
If they did make Link a woman, would they make Zelda a man?
Well, no because that wouldn't fit. Zelda is a gender-tied character. Her name, her design and personality isn't interchangeable. She's the embodiment of the goddess' wisdom. You can't make a character like that male and still have it make sense.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
That's some very enlightening thoughts and yeah, that would be awesome. And Link as a chick would work great...

Except Nintendo would never do it. Like ever. I'm pretty sure they're almost set in stone right now. They'd rather add a small Zelda quest just for the lulz, but keep Link always male.

But if they grow the balls and do it...Imma buy a goddamn WiiU.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
wulf3n said:
keniakittykat said:
She's the embodiment of the goddess' wisdom. You can't make a character like that male and still have it make sense.
Why not?
It wouldn't work within the game's mythology. She's got the triforce of wisdom, where are you going to leave the one of courage? It doesn't make sense for her to be the hero. It's not her roll.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
keniakittykat said:
wulf3n said:
keniakittykat said:
She's the embodiment of the goddess' wisdom. You can't make a character like that male and still have it make sense.
Why not?
It wouldn't work within the game's mythology. She's got the triforce of wisdom, where are you going to leave the one of courage? It doesn't make sense for her to be the hero. It's not her roll.
Courage isn't the only heroic trait. Why not let the wisest one be the hero for a change?

Besides, Zelda's actions in Skyward sword demonstrated a significant amount of courage even if she didn't have that particular triforce.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I would buy that.

But about the "video games did it first" thing Bob mentioned. Didn't the remake of BattleStar Galagtica gender flip Starbucks? - So TV did it first I guess?

gaving7095

Mar 26, 2013
Oh and Nintendo are making another Zelda game? Whoop-de-doo! How on earth do Nintendo keep coming up with all these fresh ideas?! Let's all go buy their console & games!

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Link is a boy. Zelda is a girl. If you're going to flip it that mean's Zelda will be a boy/
Also the whole "everyone making a big deal that Link might be a girl in this Zelda game" was almost exclusively in North America.
Also I swear to god that Bob hates white people.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
knight4light said:
Evil Smurf said:
JediMB said:
Zelda is basically the reincarnated avatar of the goddess Hylia.
Now that would make a good game, the backstory, with Zelda being a Goddess.
You mean. skyward sword.. but through zelda's perspective?
Yeah, although I never finished Skyward Sword.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
DrunkenElfMage said:
Houseman said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
Lightknight said:
Wait, Link actually being a woman would be a big difference? No, Link has always looked like a woman. Sorry. Unless there's actual nudity then it won't make any difference as far as I can tell.
Pretty sure that that is the point in the long run. If it doesn't make any difference for Link to be a girl, than why not do it?
If it doesn't make any difference for link to be a girl, then why make him one?

/WGDF

I didn't read through the thread, so I'll guess that I'm about the third person who said this.
I guess because my mind just works in such a way that if I see something that can be changed without any obvious consequences, I say do it because you might turn out getting something that was even better than before.

Sticking with tradition for traditions sake is a terrible reason to do anything. If you have a chance to change something up, do it.

Besides, we already have plenty of male Links. Whats one female Link going to do besides give the world a decent example of a female playable character? Or prove that ultimately your gender doesn't matter, you are still the hero of the story?
If there's the option to toggle link's gender, then sure, why not? But changing the sex of an iconic character just because it "can" be changed is an affront to those fans who grew up with him trying to save her (the princess) and what has always seemed like an eternal love story (not to say Zelda can't be male this time too).

You make changes when they make sense. When there's a reason to do it. You don't make changes just because changes can be made. Screwing with figures of iconic lore can bring down all kinds of hell. Giving more options or making a change for actual reasons and not just because of a lack of consequences is where things become meaningful.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
If they just made link female, you can bet you would have a load of people ruffled because "its just a pallet swap its no different", and that's excluding the people that would point out that they were messing with the formula for the sake of messing.

Basically there is a good chance that you could annoy 2 groups of people by doing it so i doubt they will.

Also people are saying why does it have to be a man, well the lore does kinda state this bit as its for the same reason Zelda has to be a women (something that people in this thread seems to be accept).

Zelda is the reincarnation of the goddess hylia, and link is the reincarnation of the legendary hero that hylia took pity upon, hylia gave up her godly powers to be with him throughout the ages because of his sacrifice and service. This is in the manga that came with the Hyrule Historia which was confirmed cannon i believe, and also kinda reinforced at the end of skyward sword (not that i've seen it, only game i've not finished outside of the DS ones)

What would be a better wish for the game would be for Zelda to take a more active role ,help out, join you , rather than just be kidnapped as normal. As that way there is a better female role model, using an already established character and you don't have to rip up established cannon/ruffle feathers to do it.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
wulf3n said:
^ beat me too it. But I'll repeat anyway.

When are people [read: Bob] going to bother learning what misogyny actually is?

So many use the word where it doesn't apply, usually synonymously with sexism, which is incorrect.

Napoleon said:
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
Hanlon's razor isn't a viable defense for this when they keep doing it.

Ian Fleming said:
Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.
Albert Einstein said:
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grenge Di Origin said:
Atmos Duality said:
Then there's Metroid, though one could make a good case for Samus Aran's change occurring incidentally (in the original Metroid game manual, Samus is referred to as a "he". Though that could just be lazy localization.)
You missed the point: I'm talking about an equally male and female playable character here. Metroid has no options to play as a male.
Fine. How about Baldur's Gate?
Or is cherry picking all I'm going to get?

Kingbingo

Mar 17, 2013
What a load of nonsense, Link is an established character, a typical case of feminism going too far. Conceed this and before long there will be calls to make Tyrion Lannister in the next series of Game of Thrones a woman too.