The Big Picture: Words for Nerds

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
The only time I ever see console wars on the internet are either on Youtube, or IGN. And I think we can all agree that trying to reason with them is hopeless. So my point is, why are you telling us that console wars are stupid Bob?

And I like to call myself a geek, but I was actually never bullied in school. Probably because the geeks were the jocks at my school, and by that I mean that geeks were the cool kids. Feel free to ask how that worked.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Drakmeire said:
DTWolfwood said:
those that exempt ponies, just think long and hard about this, would you as a grown man wear a shirt out in public or to a club with a picture of the MLP on it? If you even hesitate to say yes, STOP WITH THE MLP fetishism.

Its not cute, its not funny, its just pent up pedophilia. <.<

if you are under the age of 18 you are exempt from that rule. :tf:
The pony fandom is 50% appreciation for a GOOD cartoon. quite simple, the other is 49% irony and 1% people who actually have a fetish. Also how is wearing a T-shirt or being a fan of a good show pedophilia?
Do you like Powerpuff Girls? same thing. It was a great show that I watched as a kid and ENJOYED. being truly manly is liking things because you like them. not being fearful of what people think of you.
far enough. mite be too much to call it that but dear lord half the time its all they talk about. I never saw this with the PPG. its a phenomenon that is simply way creepy.

Then again i guess this applies.

so carry on. I for one will wait for it to blow over like all fads eventually do.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
As someone who is tired of being constantly bullied over online games to the point where I can no longer play them, I will overlook everything else in this video that I don't agree with and say THANK YOU MOVIEBOB for making a stand against internet bullying. There is no way to go against these people and they are getting out of hand. I've been called names that I have never been called before, just trying to have fun in a game. It's getting to the point where it's abusive.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
Snake Plissken said:
Shadowstar38 said:
I've heard Bob off-handedly mention ponies like four times now. He needs to go ahead and make an episode about it.
No. No. Definitely no. Those people don't need any more goddamned ammunition, and the threads don't need a new influx of fucking ponies.
Goodness. So much hate.

It's just a show. Leave it alone.
but what kinda ep could he do? i mean really, anything he says would just re-enforce the things said on threads we already have. what other ground could he cover WE haven't? the connection to eek the cat? not really worth a whole ep just for that.

Snake Plissken said:
I don't recall revealing my feelings towards the show, so quit projecting.
And, yes, I am petitioning to "leave it alone".

In summation, lolwut?
to be honest it did sound 'pony hater'.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
I hate to say it, but you're doing it wrong.

I get that this is kind of your job right now. But you need to stop taking the internet culture so seriously. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Everything here is in good fun. Even if it can appear mean spirited to certain groups of people.
Yeah, in good fun, or as we call it in our house, banter. Like yesterday when my one house mate pile drived a friend onto the sofa and caused him to tear a shoulder muscle, than later set his other arm on fire (he is hairy) He's in constant pain at the moment and had to spend a lot on medicine, but he just didn't appreciate it all being in good fun.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Excellent column today. It all does get a little old.

I am in partial agreement with Number 5. I think that a lot of people develop a victim mentality and that leads to a whole host of problems. Then, that mentality follows them into adulthood where where they inexplicably have some sort of expertise in something. Then payback time comes and now it's time to shine.

It's interesting that you point out the inability to tell the difference between them. This is actually a problem in society as a whole. For instance, there is this belief of the intelligencia of society that if you are part of a racial minority then you cannot be racist yourself. The idea is ridiculous. Also, as far as bullying is concerned, since that whole thing with that kid from Rutgers killing himself over being "bullied", the newest way to bully someone is to tell them you are going to report them for bullying, even if you haven't done anything wrong.

It's funny how funny and stupid a society can actually be.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ah, isn't hypocrisy fun?
I especially love the part where he tells us that "nerds" are becoming too discriminative while still throwing in multiple sly jabs at that demographic he includes anyone he disagrees with in that is the "douchebags".
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not calling out Bob for being a hypocrite, I'm calling out nerds for being hypocrites.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
marioandsonic said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Ponies are officially sanctioned by Movie Bob? Huzzah! The fun has been doubled!
I'm confused, though...

Didn't he once say he hated the show?
He said it would lead to lazy imitations, and later said on Twitter that he didn't watch it but appreciated it.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Is he living in the 80's or something?

There is no Nerd culture anyomore. Geek and Nerd have just become some sort of faux fashion trend. I really don't think anyone on here will really identify themselves as either of those things in a non-ironic manner.

You don't have to be a bully victim to be able to express yourself in an eloquent manner, nor enjoy games, or comics, or movies, or computers.

The age of ostracising the smart guys are lonnnng gone. It must have sucked growing up in an time when being smart was tantamount to having some sort of condition, but you've got to let that go. It's not the case anymore.

And if you take meme's seriously, you're doing it wrong.

Same goes for all internet culture. It's a culture built on sarcasm and irony.

Also, leave Batman alone.
I agree with you to a point, but I can definitely call myself a nerd and although I have not been bullied consistently, I have been purposefully ostracized by a lot of my peers simply because my interests and way of life was so different from theirs. Maybe it's a big difference between girls and guys, but at least with girls, this is still happening, perhaps in a different way that you are thinking, but being a "nerdy girl" and indulging in my own interests has alienated me from most other women (not that it matters, I usually HATE other women). I have been bullied and made fun of by "sorority girl" types many, many times (not that I really care, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen). Maybe I'm the only one?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Is there perhaps the tiniest vestige of irony in someone who is paid to post their own extended opinions and rants on various subjects chiding others for writing opinions that ramble on for half a page?

Of course, I may just be bitter because that particular criticism hits close to home, I'll grant.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
GeorgW said:
Images are different. There are a lot of image macros out there that have been created to perfectly sum up thousands of different people's opinions. Why bother to say something in a way made for the exact purpose of being unoriginal? There's nothing wrong with using images to enhance your opinion, but to let them completely embody them is just lazy and discourages discussion.
You said yourself that it is what is said that is judged, not how. Why does the medium in use change that? An image can often convey whole concepts, innuendo and subtext in a far more efficient and stronger manner than words can manage. If the concept you are trying to convey is covered by the image, why does it need a tacked on explanation? Oftentimes that actually reduces the impact of the point being made.

Also, with regard to unoriginality: Context is king. Depending on the context, there could be a number of different meanings for the same image, that's one of the strengths of a visual medium. It all comes down to the discussion and how it relates. Plus, unoriginality is not inherently a bad thing. Innovation is great, but sometimes "it's always been done that way" is actually for a reason.

Finally, I would disagree that images discourage discussion. Discussion is the sharing of ideas and concepts to improve, hone or otherwise shift both your own and those of your listeners. Those same ideas and concepts can be shared just as easily, sometimes moreso, by an image than any number of words. Any further argument on this point is down to semantics, so I'll leave it alone.

I'd leave off with a pithy/witty image summarizing most of this post, but I can't access my repository of images from work :(.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
TheEnglishman said:
marioandsonic said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Ponies are officially sanctioned by Movie Bob? Huzzah! The fun has been doubled!
I'm confused, though...

Didn't he once say he hated the show?
He said it would lead to lazy imitations, and later said on Twitter that he didn't watch it but appreciated it.
Ah, okay.

Of course, now I forget what video he said that on, lol.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
I'm sorry to interfere, but isn't the UK traditionally the place with the largest gap between social classes? I mean after all, it's one of the pillars of British comedy.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
mandaforever said:
Abandon4093 said:
Is he living in the 80's or something?

There is no Nerd culture anyomore. Geek and Nerd have just become some sort of faux fashion trend. I really don't think anyone on here will really identify themselves as either of those things in a non-ironic manner.

You don't have to be a bully victim to be able to express yourself in an eloquent manner, nor enjoy games, or comics, or movies, or computers.

The age of ostracising the smart guys are lonnnng gone. It must have sucked growing up in an time when being smart was tantamount to having some sort of condition, but you've got to let that go. It's not the case anymore.

And if you take meme's seriously, you're doing it wrong.

Same goes for all internet culture. It's a culture built on sarcasm and irony.

Also, leave Batman alone.
I agree with you to a point, but I can definitely call myself a nerd and although I have not been bullied consistently, I have been purposefully ostracized by a lot of my peers simply because my interests and way of life was so different from theirs. Maybe it's a big difference between girls and guys, but at least with girls, this is still happening, perhaps in a different way that you are thinking, but being a "nerdy girl" and indulging in my own interests has alienated me from most other women (not that it matters, I usually HATE other women). I have been bullied and made fun of by "sorority girl" types many, many times (not that I really care, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen). Maybe I'm the only one?
I really can't relate. Maybe there is just a massive difference between American and English youth culture.

But I always read comic and collected Warhammer and the like when I was in school. I didn't particularly game or anything but I was that guy that collected weapons and knew a little too much about the kind of science that wasn't on the tests and could quote just a few too many classic poets and politicians in English class etc.

Yet along with the friends I had who shared the same interests, we had just about every other clique in our group of friends. And I still regularly meet up with most of them to go into town or occasionally go on holiday (30 of us went to Magaluf once, lol).

There just isn't that social divide. People just seem to be friends with whoever they want. It's generally got little to do with how we dressed or behaved, or even our interests.

I don't really see why America should be any different.
I don't see why either, but it is. Not that we don't have awesome people here (I know so many amazing folks), but so many people are just not. I think it's different between women and men, too. As a woman, most other women cannot relate to me at all because things like video games and comic books aren't even on their radar (its not that it doesn't interest them, it's just that they'd never in a million years try it). It's not that I don't get along with everyone, it's just that few can relate. I think it may be more because of my gender than where I live, which is absolutely stupid and should not be true, but is, at least for me. I need to move over to England at some point, or at least to a city here in America, where society seems to have evolved a little more, that or just stick with my group of friends. :/

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
I hope every single moderator watched number 4 and will stop banning people for short posts.

TL;DR LCP is a stupid rule
THIS.

It actually makes me sick to see people rag on at people who actually put the time and effort in to construct a fully thought out response and / or argument to something they may either have knowledge surrounding or are passionate about the topic in question. Boo-hoo, you don't want to read a wall of text? Then what the fuck are you doing in an online forum looking for discussion? Poorly written walls of texts, i can understand not wanting to read those - but correct punctuation and grammar with suitably placed paragraphs? Yeah, that deserves to be read. It's not the writer's fault that you've got the attention span of a chipmunk and can't be bothered to read it.

How utterly bloody ironic that Bob would whine about long posts when moderators here actively punish you for low post content. What's next, "Don't post one word answers but don't post a treatise either"? Are you going to require our responses are genuinely funny and witty, too?