The Game Boy turns 20! What's your favorite portable game and why? - CHAT WITH THE STAFF!

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
it has to be "Legend of Zelda: Links' Awakening" for me. it's one of the first games i got on the ol' brick, and i loved every minute of it, even though i can't have been much older than 7 or 8, and i didn't manage to finish it until i was 9 or so. i reckon it ranks in my top 5 now that i think about it. it was a pretty amazing game

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
zeroharpuia said:
Golden Sun, pure and simple.
Amen! Though I'd have to go with Golden Sun 2...I still maintain that it is one of the best game purchases I have ever made, and was my first full JRPG. The story is epic and moving, the characters are likable, the gameplay is engaging, the world is big, and the graphics were ridiculous for a portable system.

Captain_Caveman

Mar 21, 2009
http://www.mobygames.com/game/neo-geo-pocket-color/snk-vs-capcom-match-of-the-millennium

Because it was insanely fun & the controls were great. So were the graphics & the depth of the game.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, I spent so much time playing that game over and over again, and I still play it! It's just so damn addictive!

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Original GB: Link's Awakening, by a country mile. I still think it's one of the best Zelda games.
GBA: Advance Wars. It's the first time I think I've ever played a game that was absolutely perfect from the beginning. You don't need to buy any sequels after Advance wars, there's enough maps in the war room to last you years. The game looks great and doesn't have any of the more complicated (and unnecessary) features of later games. Perfection.
Ds: This is tougher, since there's a lot of quality stuff on the DS, but I'm gonna have to go with Disgaea. Having never owned the original it just blew me away the amount of gameplay, depth and charm it had.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Lots of Link's Awakening. What about Oracle of Seasons and Ages?

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
WarioWare: Twisted for the GBA

Portable games are made to give you something in the waiting room or on the bus. Simple games like Tetris are good for this. Plots and home console-style gameplay are good too, but before the whole "sleep mode" of the portable came around, you would have to search for a save point or finish a boss fight before you could get around to getting up for your proctology exam. they require you to usually stay at home to finish them which kinda ruins the whole aspect of gaming on the go when you think about it. If you're on the go, you want a game you can complete in one setting that has almost infinite replayability that you'll have no regrets to when you need to suddenly turn it off. WarioWare offered quick-fire gameplay and surreal wit that wasn't too Japanese. (for what constitutes as 'too Japanese', see BoBoBo.) The original WarioWare was addictive and engaging and I feel that no Gameboy Advance collection should be without it. The minigames that you unlocked from the completion of the core microgames kept you going far after the main story mode was over.

Then came WarioWare: Touched: which was more of the same with better graphics. But it was more of a marketing tool since it was released around the DS' launch. I didn't find it to be as fun or quirky as the former. Also, before buying this, I had already completed Twisted. However, the game included the idea of 'toys' that make use of the game's central gimmick. However, it also had fewer minigames that were not really fun. It doesn't help that my brother decided to finish the game for me when I wasn't around.

Now WarioWare: Twisted was a combination of the two former titles. It had the quirk of the original and the toy-gimmick concepts of Touched. It also had a larger library of minigames that were as fun as the ones from the original.

This is why WarioWare: Twisted is on my list. Alongside this next one.

----

Mario Kart DS

I was... say... unfullfilled with Mario Kart: Double Dash; a game that I went all "I WANT IT I WANT IT MOMMY" for during the Christmas near its release. I finished it by New Years, but that didn't really make it 'bad': I finished Banjo-Tooie by New Years during the Christmas-New years period and enjoyed it enough to play it again. Mario Kart: Double Dash didn't have the same effect.

I grew up with Mario Kart 64. It holds a special place in my heart because it was a game that brought my family together, even after we had to buy a second copy. (the first one got stolen) Mario Kart: Double Dash's weakness was in its course designs; both in race and battle mode. They felt uninspired and some were too happy to be necessary. After growing tired of it, which was quickly, (despite trying to convince myself that I was having a good time) its purpose changed from "entertain the nostalgic Nintendo fan for eternity" to "use as leverage with 1080 Avalanche so I can get the Zelda Collector's Disk". By the way, I enjoyed 1080 more than I did Double Dash.

A few year later, I went hunting for a DS. Nintendo had sold me on the dual-screen gimmick and I was ready to be a consumer whore once again. ("And how!") The DS I got came with Mario Kart DS, which I soon fell in love with. The courses this time around were actually fun and the up dated flashback courses were a delight to play. (even the sometimes pain-in-the-ass SNES ones)

Like I said up in my WarioWare: Twisted love letter, simplicity is key to the whole "portable game" aspect. Being a racing game, it's a given that it works. For those who wanted to stay at home with their Castlevanias and whatever (mind you, the first DS Castlevania was a great game too) there was the online play, which is one of the few Nintendo ones that work and are fun.

Sadly, the adventure mode was tacked on. I also didn't like some of the kart designs. (they felt tacky) Online play also failed to include Battle mode in all of its "hey, we brought back Block Fort" epicness. But what makes me love this game is that, off all the DS games I own; I find my way back to this one. It did its job to convince me to forgive the Mario Kart franchise for Double Dash.

alucard_101

May 18, 2008
I'd have to say the FC portable, play NES games on the go, it's pretty awesome, I'm gunna pick one up within the month

Iampringles

Dec 13, 2008
My favourite handheld game is Pokemon Silver.

Unfortunately, it lost the ability to save, so I lost my hard earned work.

Gilrond

Apr 17, 2009
I want to say Sword of Hope (GB) just because of the horrible translation that led to many laughs for me. I played the game translated to Swedish, and in the english word chest had been translated to "bröst" (breast) instead of "kista" (chest). The phrase "open chest" suddenly became less appealing :)

the_hessian

Jan 14, 2009
Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow on the gameboy colour... I made one explode from playing on it for too long... and of course the sham that is the gameboy colour, it wasn't really colour, it just had some tinted pixels, it was pathetic, but I loved it... so so much!!!

*weeps for the demise of pixely half coloured crappyness*