The Gaming World would be a better place without....

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Blitzwing said:
Ekit said:
Soveru said:
The need for games to turn a profit.
This. It really is the main reason why gaming is can't evolve as an art form.
Why? Some of the greatest works of art were created because of profit.
You've got a point, but the key question is whether there is enough artistic liberty available in the commercially acceptable constraints of the medium. In simpler terms, games cost money. For AAA games, a lot of money. So, until the Guys With the Money start accepting that experimentation is good, games are going to suffer artistically. Most of the really cool artistic improvements have been in such areas as graphics and music, not the overall structure of games.

I mean, think about it-- the biggest game genres are such things as platformers, shooters, RPGs, and simulations. Those genres have been around since the mid-80s to early 90s. Sure, they've gotten prettier, but where is the true innovation? I love those games as much as anyone else, but the new to Same Old Stuff ratio is really low in videogames.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Krystal from Starfox
Tapping A repeatedly to sprint(screw you, GTA.)
Grit
The Hot Coffee fiasco
Having to pay for Multiplayer on Xbox Live

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
baddude1337 said:
Games with only one save slot.
This, and more so achievements/collectibles. God, I hate people dictating how I should play a game, just so I can get a god damn "achievement" like some god damn medal or something. Same with collectibles, I go where I want, not where you think I should/won't go. I play a game to have fun, not to meet some arbitrary requirement set by someone else.

luckshotpro

Oct 18, 2010
Downloadable patches that allow developers to release a buggy game with the promise to "fix it later" (Fallout: New Vegas anyone?)

Oh, and scheduled release dates/deadlines, far too many games with potential for greatness are ruin in the spirit of being rushed out to meet release dates (Splatterhouse, insert movie-licensed tie-in game here, Lair)

Last but not least, games that fail at being scary, or mistake surprise for terror. I played the demo for Dead Space 2 a couple days ago, and here's a quick recap minus explanations of me trying to sole a puzzle, none of the monsters that jumped out of the walls scared me, I 100% accurately predicted a monster jumping down from the ceiling in an elevator, and the battle against hoards of necromorph children made me feel like I was playing Painkiller, which certainly didn't evoke any sort of fear in me whatsoever.

debra_ beretta

Sep 8, 2010
Fetch quests and cover-based healing.

Oh and the neverending developer quest for hyper-reality. More focus on good, enjoyable games rather than shiny graphics, please.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Over-powered publishers.

In a perfect world every game studios would be able to create and sell their games on their own terms without having to change a damn thing to please a publisher or anything else except themselves and their fans.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Me. I'm not THAT detrimental to gaming, but I still feel I'm not a positive presence all the same.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
easy boss battles
fox news
ESRB (all they do is make the kid call his mom, he'll get it anyway so why do you guys even care?)

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
THEJORRRG said:
Publishers.
Yes...
I'm gonna go in a similar route and say underpaid and overworked developers that get layed off whenever some higher up makes bad decisions. People who know very little about games making decisions about them. Badly treated and disrespected developers in general(disrespected by players). Oh and idiotic gamers who don't know how much work goes into a game and will call developers "lazy".