The New Shiny Escapist

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Can someone tell me is it supposed to be white with all the links in plain and organised down the left hand side?

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Hitchmeister said:
It looks different. Like everyone on the internet, I hate changes. Therefore I hate it.

For a few days -- maybe a couple weeks. After that I'll forget what it used to look like.

Then I won't have any more problems until the next time you change it.
I'd normally agree with this but a while back Eurogamer changed their site and I still hate it with a passion. It's reasonably similar to this change too just with slightly less eye scorching whiteness.

Maclennan

Jul 11, 2010
The video images seem to be loading wrong most of them just show a coloured square for me, with no title to boot.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Ouch. The layout changes I'll get used to (much of it I like), but the new colour scheme is painful... far too bright, and text is almost illegible. Headache inducing even.

I read the escapist after work in order to relax, and although that pattern will continue, the starkness of the site will probably lead to me spending less time per page.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
First Youtube now the Escapist, seriously why do people mess with things that work? Do people need to justify their jobs or something?

I don't see the Sun or water doing anything new. The sun is still hot and water is still wet, if there is DEMAND for change then you change until then no touchy. You go now and wear many ribbons of shame.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I DON'T LIKE CHANGEEEE

But seriously, it's pretty hard to get on with. The features down the side of the main site? I liked that. I also liked the colour scheme, and the way the stories were placed. And the lack of unneeded antiquities like the almost "Web 2.0" style bar with the drop down menus.
In short, I liked it the way it was.

But I am willing to stick about for a bit and let it grow on me. Perhaps the kind folks at Escapist HQ will take on feedback and refine the changes they've made. Then again, maybe not. We'll see.

As a final gripe, the overly white whiteness of it hurts my eyes a little and it seems to take longer to load now.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
new layout makes the borders look completely empty, while the tops and bottoms are busting at the seems with too-small text. I liked the old version a lot more.
tangoprime said:
It looks like facebook now. Like... the current facebook. The bad one. With boxes and feeds everywhere, and everything way too spread out and inefficient.

Before it was compact, streamlined, efficient, and warm. Now, its facebook.
agreed. the old version had a 'warmer' feel, as you say. plus the new font makes the text on the ZP page jump partially onto the thumbnail.

in short: appreciate the effort, but it's pretty bad.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Hate this, looks more busy and overly complicated. When did streamlined get confused with style over content? Now it looks like it was changed for the sake of it to be like Facebook etc where as the old style was perfect, easier to move around on and find what you want. Change it back.

JasonEllis66

Oct 23, 2008
After using it some more I have noticed a huge lag on going to new pages that most times will require me to reload the tab several times. I do not have the time or patience to wait 1 to 2 minutes to load a page, if this is not fixed quickly I will need to find a new gaming news website, any suggestions on a good one?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
General Vengeance said:
First Youtube now the Escapist, seriously why do people mess with things that work? Do people need to justify their jobs or something?

I don't see the Sun or water doing anything new. The sun is still hot and water is still wet, if there is DEMAND for change then you change until then no touchy. You go now and wear many ribbons of shame.
This. The previous site was perfect. Easy to navigate and you could get to where you want quickly. Now its messy with lots of boxes all over the place. Yes we can all get used to it and learn how to navigate through the mess. But the problem is the previous version was superior to this. Why fix what isnt broken?

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
This web 2.0 crap is not a good thing. The site is slow as balls now and the layout just makes me want to scream "where the hell did everything go?"

This is a most unwelcome change.

ultrapowerpie

Feb 22, 2011
I for one really hate it to be honest. I liked the olderone because it wasn't so bloody blinding. The whitespace looks absolutely dreadful. Like you guys can't be bothered to impliment a background (which I know isn't true).

Probably just coming for ZP now that y'all changed it to this.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
mjc0961 said:
Just about everyone in Pub Club complained about how disgustingly bright this white background is. Comments were made that it would be toned down. And now here it is, in my face again, blinding me. Thanks for looking into that issue like you told us you would. *thumbs up*

At least I can do this *clicks Pub Club exclusive "Old Site" link*.

EDIT: Oh nice. The "Old Site" link is broken. So let me just say thanks again for asking us all for our feedback and swiftly ignoring it all to launch the site despite the near universal complaints about the background and the numerous complaints about the front page layout. Next time this site asks for feedback, I'll be the one doing the ignoring.
We have made several changes based directly on feedback from pub club. Go back and read the thread.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Vanguard_Ex said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate it, yeah it's unusual and seems a little unpolished in some ways but I'm sure I'll grow to like it.

Also if the moderators could stop warning people for their opinions that would be great. I mean:
mgirl said:
I have 2 problems with it:

1 - the loading times are a lot longer since the update, but I imagine that will get smoothed out soon enough.

2- it's too goddamn bright. It may have something to do with the fact I have adblocker on firefox, but the entire background is bright white. Seriously, I can't look at this website for more than a couple of minutes before my eyes start to hurt.

Other than that, I have no issue with it. But please, PLEASE make it less 'makes your eyes bleed' bright.
A warning for this? I mean I know you're infamous for abusing your powers but come on guys...
Advocating ad block has always been against our Code of Conduct.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Change is scary and different and confusing! But yeah too many boxes it's nice and all but it's slow and takes aaaaages to load.

slimeonline

is wondering how long this can b
Mar 22, 2010
Bug: giant pictures at the bottom of the screen sometimes not even from the page (firefox)

sorry if someone already said it

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Everything on site takes an epoch to load, and I have never had such trouble from the Escapist. This site needs to be repaired, as it is broken.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Okay, I like how the videos are much easier to find from the from the main page navigation bar. But I loathe the fact that only one video is now featured on the top of the main page. When you have more than one video that debuts each day of the week, it's a serious pain in the ass not to be able to see the new video easily on the main page. I had to hunt all over for MoS. It just isn't very noticeable in all that clutter. In fact, the only noticeable thing is the big showcase box on the left. Everything else just blends together.

Nav bar is much improved though.