The New Shiny Escapist

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
krellen said:
Don Reba said:
I don't understand the complaints about the white. Books are black on white, and everyone has been fine with them for the past six hundred years.
Books are reflective surfaces, and do not emit their own light. Monitors do, and this makes the ascetics and practices of electronic media entirely different.
Ah, so it is the contrast with ambient lighting that gets 'em. These people shouldn't sit in dark rooms. :)

Edit: Hm. I shouldn't tell people what to do. Next thing someone will tell me to stop using IE8. No.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
To much whiteness, MY EYES ARE BURNING!

Seriously though that blue at the sides was very nice, it was easy on the eyes. It now looks like how it did when the page didn't fully load.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
While my eyes are man enough to handle the brightness, I do have to admit that the front page is a bit of a mess. Previously it was reasonably well organised, but now everything has been thrown everywhere for no apparent reason.

Also, I can't seem to find the video archives for old shows.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
I'm sure there's an awful lot of people complaining about things being ugly (read: "we don't like change). I'm also sure the Escapist makes money, and hired some HCI guys to make sure they weren't fucking anything up, so everything's probably alright. I'd appreciate the ability to change the colour pallet a bit, but whatever. Cheers on the new design, Escapist.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
I'm not an agoraphobe, but this new layout certainly makes me feel like I could be.

Too wide. Too open. Too bright. The lack of anything at the sides makes it feel like the page hasn't loaded properly. Everything else, I'll get used to.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
I just barfed on my screen. Meh was exagerrating.

Back on point could you bring back the old layout pwetty PLEASE?? :( I don't mean to be rude, but the design itself looks uhmm how can I put it, pretty much "high-school".

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
The site seems to crash a lot more for me now than it ever did before the update. Not that I'm implying the update had anything to do with that.

All in all, don't like it.

Sober Thal said:
Has anyone mentioned that it's too bright, and that the news should be on the top of the page?

I'll do so.

Again.

Great work on the tech side, I just don't like it for this website.

EDIT: The site is running really slow as well. I'm sure people have also noticed and commented, but it takes so long for a page to show up, I haven't checked.
Case and point.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Rascarin said:
EDIT: Apparently my spoiler tags have failed, and I know not why. :(
Different capitalization between the first and second brackets will break the spoiler tags. Kinda useful if you want to have spoilers within spoilers.

OT: I'm pretty sure I already posted to this thread but I would just like to add that everything seems to load slower for me, though that may be an issue with my internet connection and the fact that it is Zero Punctuation upload day.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
8bitlove2a03 said:
I'm sure there's an awful lot of people complaining about things being ugly (read: "we don't like change). I'm also sure the Escapist makes money, and hired some HCI guys to make sure they weren't fucking anything up, so everything's probably alright. I'd appreciate the ability to change the colour pallet a bit, but whatever. Cheers on the new design, Escapist.
Yay dismissiveness! Downplaying a differing opinion totally rules!

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
I'm really missing the way the news used to be laid out in a chronological list..so i know what new news im checking each day.
Also, speaking as a web designer, the site really needs a darker background, with a lighter background to frame the grid, all the elements seem to be floating.

jamart

Feb 16, 2011
Far too facebook-ish...

And I hate how the borders have gone from the forums... its weird...
I challenge you to find someone who prefers this site who didnt work on it

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nasrin said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I used to read The Escapist, then I took a flashbang to the face.

Ok ok...

I like it, when the Publishers Club members got early access to it I wasn't sure about at first. After trying it out for the last few days I've got used to it and I love it now.
The same thing happened to me. I thought I would switch back and then never wanted to.

I question the choice for your new avatar -.-

Glass Joe

Oct 7, 2009
I don't really like the new site. It's very bright. There you go that's what I think of it. Thanks for reading.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
RagnarokHybrid said:
Case and point.
The expression is "case in point."

jamart said:
Far too facebook-ish...

And I hate how the borders have gone from the forums... its weird...
I challenge you to find someone who prefers this site who didnt work on it
I like the idea, but not the execution. Also, I prefer the new Facebook and Youtube designs.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I don't care for the new look. the website now loads a lot slower for me, and it's more difficult to get to where I want. I've given it a couple days to grow on me, and it hasn't. I don't like it. The old one was better.

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
I'll just say, isn't this what websites upgrade from?
I rather enjoyed the past design, much more appealing.
I'll check back in a few days to see if its been changed.
E for Effort.