"The Old Republic will be the biggest failure in MMO history," says EA developer

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Bonecrusherr said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I said that two years and $30 million ago.

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.

Sorry Star Wars fans, this is gonna crash like the Death Star.
it is interesting to see most of the people think old republic mmo will be a great success.
but in fact it looks like a very crappy game.

i was a kotor 1-2 fan myself, i also love the jedi knight series.
however this game lacks tons of aspects in it.

- lightsabers was looking like a toy, after design changes, it still is.
- art design is not based on games like kotor or jk, instead based on clone wars animation games.
- the gameplay is closed and restricted like the other mmorpgs, not so much variety for the players.
- they say ship combat will be something like a minigame. however there should be a fully developed space combat.
- i don't hear anything about player created contents, housing or sandboxing.

i will not be surprised if this game crashes quickly.

other than that, SWG was a very good game. i liked the rebel vs the empire clashes in cities that can be happen randomly. i also liked the teras kasi / bounty hunter classes. however they spoiled the game.
ive seen videos of the space combat though and while i agree that getting to fly around and really control your ship would be better, the space combat still looks fun. at the very least it looks more fun than the space combat in the kotor series, which were by FAR my least favorite sections in those games

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I can see how the game might be a little less successful than it seems it will be now, but... Star Wars has one of the biggest fanbases ever and Bioware has one of the best reputations ever, so it won't be a repeat of Galaxies. There's no way it won't be successful. Whether it'll be a good game or not is different.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
-Zen- said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
Anything star wars related cannot fail, its a physical impossiblity.
O rly? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Masters_of_Ter%C3%A4s_K%C3%A4si]
My statemaent still stands, "as this supposed game you linked me to does not acctually exist".

ZEN, you must never speak of this game again, we dont want you to "disappear", the brotherhood does not take kindly to people digging up their forgotton atrocitys, some things are better left buried

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
EightGaugeHippo said:
-Zen- said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
Anything star wars related cannot fail, its a physical impossiblity.
O rly? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Masters_of_Ter%C3%A4s_K%C3%A4si]
My statemaent still stands, "as this supposed game you linked me to does not acctually exist".

ZEN, you must never speak of this game again, we dont want you to "disappear", the brotherhood does not take kindly to people digging up their forgotton atrocitys, some things are better left buried
Bury it so that it may not stand as an example of what not to do? I think not. Damn the Brotherhood if they wish to destroy me for acknowledging it. I'll gladly elimate any that try to silence me. Gladly.

Kelthurin

Jun 18, 2009
Googenstien said:
I believe it.. hasnt been a good MMO since 2004ish.. so odds say Old Republic will also be crappy. Luckily all they have to do is prove it wrong and they win, but I have major doubts.
WittyInfidel said:

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.

I have been under the same impressions, and it saddens me. It could have been something nice, but 'ol Lucasarts is gonna screw the pooch on this one, too.

I've been following the news of it since its start, and this seems pretty much par for the course when it come to TOR. I want to disbelieve and think it's just venom from somebody getting laid off, but too many others have all said the same, from beta testers to inside leaks.

Looks like another nail in the coffin for TOR. I hope they can pull a rabbit out of their hat, because thing's are looking grim, indeed.

OT: All incarnations of the Death Star have blown up, not crashed.
Now, how the bloody hell do you people get off being so dead-set on that view? :p

I'm sorry, but you lot haven't even played the game yet. My apologies if either of you have been in the alpha/beta naturally. But even then it's far too premature to judge a game and its success on things such as canon, or when you can become a jedi or a sith.

And also, I wonder how many inside leaks and betatesters said the same thing about World of Warcraft? I have a few vague recollections about a fair amount of doomsayers then as well.

Sorry guys, I'm going to strongly disagree with all of you naysayers judging from what I've seen of TOR so far. I'll remain excited.

Apr 28, 2008
If its gameplay is similar to WoW's, it will fail. Because people will try it, say "why am I doing this, I've already played this, I don't need to do it all again" and just leave.

Hopefully thats not the case, but since we haven't seen much gameplay save for special occasions. And even then the gameplay wasn't really described or touched on.

Most people say it played like WoW, but with lightsabers.

That is not good. At all.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
It doesn't matter how good it is, it has Star Wars in the title. That alone will make it sell.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009

Dude.. It's Bioware. You can't be serious.

OP: Didn't that guy publish APB?

Apr 28, 2008
Xzi said:
Irridium said:
If its gameplay is similar to WoW's, it will fail. Because people will try it, say "why am I doing this, I've already played this, I don't need to do it all again" and just leave.

Hopefully thats not the case, but since we haven't seen much gameplay save for special occasions. And even then the gameplay wasn't really described or touched on.

Most people say it played like WoW, but with lightsabers.

That is not good. At all.
It's not WoW. There is no auto-attack. That being said, there's only so much you can do with MMO combat due to potential latency issues. Luckily that's where Bioware's improved story-telling and impactful conversation wheel come in. Not to mention full voice-acting. Adds a whole other dimension to this MMO that no other has.
True, but how many people will really care about that? EA seems to be hyping it up as a prime "WoW challenger" like they did with Warhammer.

And if by 'auto attack' you mean you actually have to click to attack, then that sounds nice. However until we see something in-depth about the gameplay thats not from behind closed doors, I remain skeptical. Especially when the people I actually trust say its very, very similar to WoW in terms of gameplay.

I'm going to be playing most of the time. The gameplay has to hold up. Especially if I'm going to be playing through 8 KOTOR's. Thats a lot of gameplay, and it will suck if the gameplay is like WoW, which is one reason I left that game actually.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
MergedCrane said:
kman123 said:
MergedCrane said:
kman123 said:
It's Bioware+Star Wars. It's going to sell regardless. The only question remains is if it'll survive long term.
The same can be said for KOTOR2. I really enjoyed the first one, but the sequel was a bit of a let down in my opinion. And there's some major bugs if you try to play it on a 360.

Hopefully there will be a WOW-style 10 day free trial so we all don't waste our money.
Sorry, Bioware were not responsible for KOTOR2, Obsidian were the devs.
Ahh, well that explains it then!
It's not entirely their fault. LucasArts had the game rushed and vetoed against Obsidian wanting to later release a patch to clean the game up.

Apr 28, 2008
Xzi said:
Well, every publisher will attempt to market their MMO like that generally, because they want bored WoW players to switch. And that's a good chunk of WoW players. But a lot of people will care about the story and conversation wheel as well. Primarily fans of Bioware and/or fans of the previous KoTOR games. And these aren't necessarily independent groups. Many people who still play WoW have most likely played and enjoyed Bioware RPGs as well. So hey, killing two birds with one stone.

As far as combat goes, I'm not sure on the click to attack thing. I'm not sure if there's a "basic" attack at all. It seems like it might be entirely ability-based. But the positive part of that is that all your abilities have a very short cooldown (looks like approximately a global 2 seconds). So in other words, it will be faster-paced than WoW. It also seems like they want you to be able to fight several enemies at the same time from the get-go. So it will play more like Diablo in that regard.
If they want bored WoW players to switch, they need to offer something unique that WoW doesn't have. Yes there's the story/voice acting, but the majority probably won't care for that. So your left with basically gameplay. And if its similar to WoW, the bored WoW players will try, go "this is basically what I've been playing for years", get bored with the gameplay and whole "starting over" aspect, feel the grind harder since it'll feel like they've done it all before meaning they're more likely to just leave, and then they'll actually leave and go back to WoW.

Again, I know they have story and voice acting, but chances are most won't care for that except Bioware fans. And unless at least a million or so fans buy and stick with the game, it may not do so well.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
kman123 said:
It's Bioware+Star Wars. It's going to sell regardless. The only question remains is if it'll survive long term.
not long with Guild Wars 2 round the corner
But that could end up a failure instead and people will go back to TOR. You never know.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Story and voice acting sounds nice, but there's only so much you can do in a MMORPG.
Voice acting really isn't a big deal, when it comes to grind quests you probably won't care about the details anyway and even WoW featured voice acting in boss encountes and "story scenes". Personally I couldn't care less if a game's voiced or not, but that's just me.
Despite all of Bioware's claims about the player having an impact and whatnot, I still remain dubious about that and about how they're really gonna pull it off. I don't if they plan to include a moral choice system, but if they do it would be awful, as this is the absolute worst aspect of all Bioware games.

But hey, if the game's great I will be pleasantly surprised and happily play it, but for now I won't buy into the hype just yet.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
i saw this on digg last night too and i largely ignored it since it was woefully lacking in any sort of detail.

that said, i have not been able to stifle that nagging doubt that this game will not be that great.