The WoW Killer has finally arrived

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Sounds a lot like GW2's overflow servers.

Seems pretty dumb to throw a buggy mechanic into the live client, isn't that what the PTR is for?

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
CriticKitten said:
But the claim that GW2 is equally difficult or even more difficult to level up in than WoW...
This is where you implied that I've said that GW2 might actually be worse in this regard. Don't put words in my mouth.

CriticKitten said:
Solid figures. Better than I expected. But still don't match up with the specifications I gave. A quest in WoW would need to award over 320k XP for players to level at an equal rate in GW2 and WoW, and we're clearly not dealing with that situation.
Like I said, a single quest in WoW isn't comparable to a single event in GW2.

CriticKitten said:
Various wiki formulas seemed to suggest to me that WoW mobs at that level are 1k XP per kill
What formulas are those? Because they're wrong. At level 84, the formula for experience gained from a level 85 mob is (85 * 5 + 1878) * (1 + 0.05 * (85 - 84) = 2418.5, and again, the casual gamer will double that. More if they're wearing heirlooms or other xp bonuses. Oh, and if you happen to stumble upon a chest or a rare mob, that's a quest's worth of experience right there.

Let me ask you this: does the average WoW character live five times as long as a GW2 character? Because that's what the numbers indicate! Flawless logic!

CriticKitten said:
Furthermore, you've underestimated the skill point challenges.
Fair enough. I'll admit that my experience with GW2 is probably about as limited as yours is with WoW. I gave up after level 80, but I do have friends still playing, and I'm basing a lot of this on their experiences.

CriticKitten said:
It's perfectly fine if you don't personally FEEL as if you're grinding in either game, but that doesn't mean that they both have identical leveling curves. They clearly do not.
Of course not. Words, you, my mouth, again! WoW is much more top heavy, and I've already said this. That's not "proof" that WoW is "grindier" than GW2.

CriticKitten said:
That much we can agree on. I have seen the requirements for legendary weapons. They're kind of absurd. >_>
Well, you know what? Now I'm starting to think they're completely reasonable. Wanna fight about it?

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Yeah, I'm done with you. You can compare apples to oranges all you want, but it doesn't make your math right.

EDIT: Screw it. I don't know if you're intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying, or if you lack reading comprehension, but I'm going to try to be really clear and concise explaining why your numbers are absolutely, positively meaningless.

This is the third time I'm saying this I think, hopefully you'll get it this time. Experience per hour, or time spent. This is why events and quests are not the same. Quests come in clusters. You'll always be doing a couple of them at the same time. Can you really not see the difference? You'll be returning 2-5 quests at a time. How much experience a single quest nets you isn't comparable to a single event.

With Rested, it takes about 950 kills to get from 84 to 85. That's about 26% more than GW2. How is that even a remotely significant number, considering that kills are a very minor source of experience in both games? Are you honestly arguing this?

Then there's the curve. You use the last level of both games as an example, which is bullshit on the account that in WoW it's only on the last few levels where the experience required takes a sharp turn up in relation to the experience received. You'd have to be comparing level averages for any of this to matter.

Sure, numbers tell you everything, but only if you consider absolutely everything too. Which you're not doing. You just keep banging on about my feelings and pretend you've proven something. Oh, and I've still never implied anywhere that GW2 is the grindier game.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
WOW players Remind me of white walkers, always in the north undead things with bright eyes trying to convert other corpses to their cause.
Good thing there is Wall to stop them.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
aguspal said:
Why do people want to kill WOW?

Good god, just leave the freaking game alone! Do you know theres people that actually might like the game right?
Mostly because people go to other MMO's with the same mindset, which is what killed TOR. "Oh, this game in made by bioware, has an amazing story and 50 gigs of voice acting? We need to rush to 50 ASAP and start raiding!", and the same reason some people are getting mad at guild wars 2, because they want to get to 80 and do dungeons while the actual fun in GW2 PvE comes from exploring and doing world bosses.

It may be a good game, but it hurts every other MMO out there that wants to do something different.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
why can't we discuss WoW with out flaming eachother? Escapist I am disappoint

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Oh, silly goose. You can take your so-called "evidence," put it in your pipe and smoke it. I'm not inclined to prove anything, as that would actually be quite a bit of work unlike this 2 > 1 shit you keep spewing as "proof." Keep It Simple, Stupid doesn't apply here. Too many variables, more than you can count apparently. But believe what you will, I could not care less.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
aguspal said:
Why do people want to kill WOW?

Good god, just leave the freaking game alone! Do you know theres people that actually might like the game right?
We're a sub species of human and our opinions never count.

The CRZ feature needs fine tuning, there have been many benefits from it as well. Now the weeds need picking and it'll be fine.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Yeah yeah chicken little. The Sky is Falling....we heard you every time something new comes out for this game.

"Everything new ruins everything forever."

To be honest I've rather enjoyed the cross realm thing.
I haven't experienced anything on the level to which you're talking about...I mean yeah, dicks will be dicks but eventually they'll get bored and fuck off.

In the meantime I can actually group up with friends and co workers to quest without having to build a character on their server. Which I'll admit is something Blizzard should have done a long long time ago.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I thought this thread would be about Guild Wars 2.

I was hoping to read about and discuss Guild Wars 2. : (

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
PvE players ending up PvP zones was not intended and hasn't occurred since Beta as far as I know of(since there were only two servers in Beta they had to do it.) Unless a PvE player grouped with another PvP player as party leader, they could send it to a PvP zone.

I think it is a more elegant solution to the low population problem than closing servers, and it allows friends who play on different servers a chance to play together.

It does have some down sides, but nothing like the rants the OP wants you to believe.

WoW has its downsides and cycles, it can become boring and bad during these cycles People just want to hate on the game out of jealousy and justify reasoning not to come back.

thebinaryone

Aug 31, 2012
I doubt that any game or crappy feature could be the real "WoW killer" people talk about all by itself.

personally, I rekon that it would have to be about 3 or 4 sepreate things all at the same time that eventually "kills" it. This might be the start though if this messes with players as much as the OP said. If mists of pandaria is also rubbish (which I personally suspect) and then if another game suddenly has a new expansion or entirely new game appears then WoW might finally be "killed".

I propose an international day of mourning when the servers eventually go down, where we all bow our heads towards our routers, silently munching a bag of cheetos with the curtains closed. Washed down with a mountain dew while the Blizzard national anthem plays.

Since, realistically, by the time WoW does get shut down, Blizzard will have enough money to buy most developing nations and landscape them to be an accurate replica of the WoW plaayable realms.

IMHO

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Capitano Segnaposto said:
aceman67 said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Alliance? You blew up my ship!
your point? You blew up my city!
Nuh-uh. That was Garrosh. I didn't even participate! I was in Silithus at the time! Stupid Nozdormu. He still hates me for screwing with the Qiraji six years ago :(
Wait when you get attacked it's the whole faction? But when you attack them it's just some radical? . . . Events in the middle east are starting to make much more sense to me.