Things that instantly kill your interest in a game

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I have select phrases,
'Modern graphics' (oh god grey full crap)
'Modern First-person shooter' (oh boy another call of duty clone or sequel)
'Originally based on the console then ported to the PC' (oh boy here comes the bug-fest!)

Other than that any price tag higher than 30 pounds will put me off.

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
When a game claims its "Cinematic" or has Koei on the side and it isn't also a DW game.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
A bad camera. If I can't see what i'm doing, then it's not worth me playing.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
Time limits. Anything with a time limit is just annoying. I don't mind playing game that havea few timed sections but if the whole game has a time like Majora's Mask or Dead Rising then I just lose all interest in playing it.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
When I find out that the game has kids. Or tattoos and body piercing. But the worst is the thought that the game may have had at one point in history, a penis.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Always online
Coop gameplay put in an existing franchise...FEAR 3 I'm looking at you.
Peter Molyneux (Fable 3 burned me for the last time Peter)

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
"Real-world" setting games, particularly racing or sports, generally don't get a second look from me. I just prefer sci-fi or fantasy settings. I'll certainly give a "realistic" game a chance if it comes highly recommended and I can borrow it from someone, and I might even like it, but it has to work a lot harder. This also applies to shows, movies, books, whatever.

There are also special, specific examples. One recent instance of Sudden Interest Death Syndrome was Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers, when I found out that you can't construct your own deck. Utter dealbreaker.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Except for Metroid, reading a map. I'm okay with the Fallout compass or the Dead Space locater, but I really don't like popping open a map to see that I'm going the wrong way or that my next objective is a million-billion miles away; that's discouraging.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Ice Azure said:
MMO.

Yup, that's it. I hate MMO's, and when people try to recommend that Borderlands become an MMO in my presence, hell is going to break loose.
Same. I like a solid Single Player experience. I just don't prefer online games all that much other than Metal Gear Online

3rd Person Shooter FTW

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
"...Multiplayer Focused"

I wasn't too happy with Brink or M.A.G. so I'm not going to be happy when I'm told I have to work with the jerk across the globe to win the match.

Also, "No split-screen Co-op". Screw you devolpers, I don't care if I lose graphical fidelity, I just want to nom on some cheetos and play some Shooters with my pals.

Xanrae

Jan 26, 2008
Content aimed at kids. Sometimes you can just tell the main audience were 14 year olds (this includes 18+ games). The main offender in my book are godmode games like Prototype and Crackdown where you're this indestructible death demon and this is supposed to be appealing because you're expected to be a nerd kid and to get beaten up at school so here's your chance to impale random people for no reason while they fire peashooters at you.

The only game that pulled it off imo was Saints Row 2 because this is actually in character for the protagonist, which is a much more interesting approach than the usual "revenge" or "supersoldier" plots.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
Games where a stealth element, if not an integral part of the game, cannot be used at all. I enjoy a good first person shooter, action games, and whatever, but I like to mix things up a bit and fuck with everyone by trying to sneak around, stick to the shadows, and remain undetected. While a lack of this doesn't make me HATE the game, it makes me wish the creators could have thought that this might be a decent strategy.

Disturbed-Hell

Shas'la
Mar 18, 2010
Origin. Anything that requires that viral hunk of spyware will instantly get itself put tossed into my "boycott" bin. Yes, this includes Battlefield 3, a game I was halfway interested in.

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
Warachia said:
Wintermute_ said:
Turn based combat. Anyone here remember a game by the name of Lost Odyssey? I doubt you do. One of the most amazing trailers for a game I've ever seen, interesting premise. I eagerly bought up the 4 disc title, and as I preped for the supposedly astounding opening battle...

turn based combat. No quicker way to kill excitement and produce repetitive boring gameplay.
Then at least you stopped early, the story (which the game is based around) gets really shitty after disc 1.
hell, you got past disc one? I gave up when I got to the giant electric worm fucker at the base of the staff thing. like the bastard child of a final fantasy game and an anime fanfic, that game was.

Another turn-off, by the way, is when a game is made for online play, but doesn't feature multiplayer splitscreen. old game I had, Chromehounds, was fun, but live was a nightmare, and near impossible to organize (at the time, I wonder if theres still an online following at all...)

SuperPogo

May 18, 2011
Practically any game that uses the same inventory/skill system as WoW, AKA to where they're all displayed at the bottom and can be macro'd like mad. Sorry, but it's just so damn copied that I can't even bother to stand it. WoW's abit bleh as it is, anyhow.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
-Heavy DRM (I'm looking at you, Ubisoft)
-QTEs (Hate 'em.)
-"Realistic" (Pretty much always means "shooter with a colour palette of brown and grey")