THQ Downgrades Warhammer 40K MMO

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Da Orky Man said:
Anyone else hoping for a Rogue Trader rpg?
Yes. Or An Inquisitor rpg. People were talking about this on the escapist a week back. Did they hear us ? Hmm Dark Heresy rpg on the pc.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Sandytimeman said:
I'm even more excited for this game now. Though it pisses me off that THQ's bumbling has effect Relic. Relic is an amazing studio shouldn't be going through this mess.
I'm happy that it's switched to a Single player game. But...120 people were laid off, that's not good and I feel bad for them. I hope we still get multiple races though. I mean I know playing as a Nid or a Necron is almost impossible. But Eldar, Tau, and Chaos Marines I can see as being reasonable.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]Cutting their losses is the best move. I'm glad to see one cow had the sense to hop off the conveyer belt before it got slaughtered.
That...that made me laugh out loud...not lol. I mean I burst out into some laughter thank you for that man A good laugh can be hard to get.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Considering THQ's shaky financial footing, this is the best move they could make.

Call me a cynical bastard but I think dropping the MMORPG and releasing it as a SP/MP game instead was part of whatever deals they've had to make to keep the wolves from the door. Not only can they stop shovelling money into the MMO pit but going single player also opens it up for porting to the console market as well.

Got to be a bastard for the people who got shitcanned... but the way THQ's studios have been haemorraging staff over the past 18 months, when they weren't outright shut down, they probably weren't surprised.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
aw...man, and I was excited to blast away the heretic hordes with my buddies.

anyway, I think a singleplayer would work just fine, they've proven to make excellent singleplayer games too, so I'll support this decision.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Elmoth said:
I don't want to have to do quests like: "kil 20 heretics."
*puts on Commissar hat at jaunty angle*

You will do as the Emperor requires or, by His Will, I will end you.

*pats holstered plasma pistol*

*pulls out Inquisition rosette*

Not wanting to hunt heretics, you say? Suspicious. Very suspicious.

*pats sheathed power sword*

*puts on Ork Power Jaw*

Wots dat, humie? Ya don' wanna kill fings? Wots wrong wiv ya?

*pats comically oversized gun*

signed,

Inquisitor-Commissar Grotfang Killzgood

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
When I read the title I was afraid downgrading meant the war had to be removed but a single player RPG? Freaking awesome, I've been waiting ages for one of those! Here's hoping a Warhammer Fantasy one follows.

Plus a single player RPG will be far more merciful to my computer then WAR was.

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
It sounds more awesome now that it's not an MMO and is a full on RPG.

Better still is if it becomes a Inquisition-led story :)

TheCruxis

Jan 19, 2011
Why the hell is this considered a "downgrade"? Are MMORPG:s automatically better than RPG:s cause they have...three more letters? I'm happy for any new single player RPG that comes out (even if its bad). I'm so sick of the MMORPG competition.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
if warhammer games are not made in an rts style then it shouldn't be made at all. Sonicron you are wrong because I absolutely love single player and if they focused twice as hard on making a good single player rts for 40k, the multiplayer easily follows.

Warhammer is based upon armies and stratergy. Stop destroying a great science fiction brand by ruining the whole priniciples of what it was build for. Or at least call it mordheim or something.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Echoing a lot of people's posts, I'm sorry about the job losses but glad this isn't another MMO. SW:TOR was the last disappointing straw I was ready to buy, I just find them boring. If they really pull it together as an RPG, then it could be awesome and I'll be ready to part with my cash.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
kingthrall said:
if warhammer games are not made in an rts style then it shouldn't be made at all. Sonicron you are wrong because I absolutely love single player and if they focused twice as hard on making a good single player rts for 40k, the multiplayer easily follows.

Warhammer is based upon armies and stratergy. Stop destroying a great science fiction brand by ruining the whole priniciples of what it was build for. Or at least call it mordheim or something.
That makes no sense at all it's a spinoff for a reason. There's no point in only limiting it to one genre regardless of it's roots. Also considering there's an table top RPG using the Warhammer 40000 setting already this is nothing new.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
So instead of WH40K based MMO they will do a WH40K based 3rdPS with chest high walls?

I do wonder, have they thought this through?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
PingoBlack said:
So instead of WH40K based MMO they will do a WH40K based 3rdPS with chest high walls?

I do wonder, have they thought this through?
Where did you get that idea at all? They didn't mention any genres even once. They didn't even say the single player RPG part so I have no idea where the escapist got that especially with them not giving any sources. Also even Space Marine didn't use chest high walls so I really don't know where you got that idea.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Wait, I am confused. The title of the article says the game was downgraded but all I see is an upgrade. Did I miss something?
Because financially speaking, an MMO costs far more to produce than a typical single player console game.(with basic multiplayer thrown in for shits and giggles) MMO's, when done correctly, can turn a profit for years even if they're not top dog. Where a regular console game really only makes money once with a few farts of profit from DLC after the fact.

In terms of quality it's most likely an upgrade, but when it comes to potential profit and investment it's a downgrade.
Yeah, I get all that. I was just being facetious. Obviously an MMO is a bigger money pile, its the grand king of sucking money from players for very little gameplay.