Todd Howard, Skyrim Dev, thinks COD is 'hardcore'.

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
To be honest yes COD does have RPG elements, and hardcore is a pretty hard term to define and so far what I've seen of Skyrim is good and most complaints are small things or negated by something else, eg cuirass merged with greaves negated by crafting.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
lord.jeff said:
I don't get it whats the problem the guy likes Call of Duty, seriously whats the issue here?
The issue here is that this site is filled with a lot of irrational hate for the CoD franchise. Therefore if you like CoD, you must live in a cave and power your gaming device by using a stationary bike while playing.

geokes

Mar 17, 2010
...That is worrying. God I hope modders will fix Skyrim like they did Oblivion (hopefully without the weird stuff)

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Well... I agree with him.

I personally wouldn't consider it a "Hardcore" type of game, but I see where he's coming from.

Call of Duty 4 made it's name by it's perk system. Which in essence, was just a big RPG mechanic.

What does it mean? Casual FPS players could eventually learn to like a complex game like Skyrim.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
For real who picks these people to represend them, why would you get people like that. It's like those really annoying commercials they try to make you remember them by making them as abnoxious as possible.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
I don't care, I'll get Skyrim, it will be good, and it won't be like CoD (For everyone hatin')

End of?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I generally think of "hardcore" as how ridiculously complicated things are, either in the actual game itself or things around it. Civilization is hardcore, Dungeons and Dragons is hardcore, and only the people who are serious fans, "hardcore" are willing to make the effort to play them. CoD meanwhile is a kind of pick up and play thing that people who aren't gamers in general will still play, something akin to Halo, or Madden. It just says in how it's "the most popular game in the world."

Actually I guess I look at it in terms how "geeky" something is traditionally viewed.

XHolySmokesX

Sep 18, 2010
Hardcore can be a pretty subjective term.

I would agree that in terms of getting used to the gameplay so much that you become good at it is hardcore concidering everyone else who's playing. I would also say that the speed of confrontation in COD games, especially MW2, makes cod hardcore for the amount of concentration it requires to keep yourself alive.

However as far is making your classes choosing your guns and running around shooting things goes, it's not hardcore. It's a simple concept to pick up, it's mastering it that's the hard part.

BoTTeNBReKeR

Oct 23, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Haha, this guy is probably just trolling the fans at this point. Honestly, I'm won't be worried until I see orcs running around with noobtubes.
This. To me, that statement has "troll" written all over it. Besides, you can't even remotely compare CoD to TES. I doubt Skyrim will be this "streamlined".

Still gonna buy it at day 1 :).

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
He's got a point. If you think about it, COD online is effectively a shoot em up RPG, you level up, you create characters based around your play style, and you collect weapons. Sure this approach is often used in online shooters, but we should remember COD was the first to do it. Perhaps the point he's trying to make is that you can make in depth RPG elements streamlined and it'd still be hardcore.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Haha, this guy is probably just trolling the fans at this point. Honestly, I'm won't be worried until I see orcs running around with noobtubes.
Hehe, noobtubing the boss of the game would be a funny way to end it.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
So Todd has an opinion on something. Cool!

OT: Like I said, he's just voicing his opinion. I don't think the fact that Todd likes CoD is going to have much significance on Skyrim.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
bah I had a thread on this earlier, and as far as I could understand it: "hardcore i a self-claimed title. One is hardcore if they enjoy games a whole lot"

so to him COD could very well be a hardcore title.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Bobbity said:
Oh, for fuck's sake. Two minutes earlier, he said that they felt no real worry about changing their game to suit the market, becuase they believe that there would always be a market for the stuff that *they* wanted to make.

Now please stop fear mongering. The culture of hating CoD is a totally pretentious one, and you're not helping. Furthermore, - look. I don't want to go into this. Just please, understand that you're kicking up a fuss over nothing.
That's the Escapist for you, pretentious and smug all around (for the most part anyway). Just mentioning CoD and Skyrim in the same sentence will cause plenty of people to break into a cold sweat.

It's kind if pitiful.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Oh no, it'll be like CoD and they'll ditch out the single player campaign for a multiplayer and if you kill enough orcs you get to call in a dragon.

Seriously, he mentions it once in the last paragraph. All he's saying is that there's a much wider audience for RPG elements if you make them easy to use. Which is true. It's nice to see someone who wants to make a real effort to expand outside their demographic. Call of Duty got to where it is because it expanded outside it's usual demographic, that's why Black Ops sold more in the first 24 hours than most games sell ever. If Skyrim get's to that it might even stop this whole 'stagnation' I keep hearing about. Or more likely just create a whole load of TES clones which people will complain about.