Transformers 2 Writers Explain Why it Sucked

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
I actually not one of those geeks that shit on a movies because they "rape" a childhood. I accept it for what it is and make up my mind if I enjoy it or not. The first Transformers is a really enjoyable popcorn flick, nothing more.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Fuck you. You make horrible movies that cater to idiots and yes, I stand by that. Who the hell could watch the flabbergast that was the first and second Transformer movie and say it was "decent" or "enjoyable"? So many people say the action was good but seriously, fuck them.
The Escapist when it comes to Michael Bay in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

If you thought the first Transformers was good fun and could overlook the painful jokes and some of the main actors, fuck you.

If you like Bad Boys or The Rock, two movies that a lot of people like, fuck you.

I suggest you take your elitism and stuff it, go watch the original cartoon and think about how Bay destroyed your childhood and how much you're better than people who enjoyed those two movies.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
zombie711 said:
Was I the only person who thought Transformers 2 was really Awsome?
It had tons of action and explosions, and robot killing each other.
Not movie of the year but still really good.
I also enjoyed Transformers 2. Sure it wasn't the greatest film I've ever seen but it was a great way to kill almost 3 hours. It's dumb fun.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
olicon said:
Bay knows this. He knows we're just after the sfx, and he delivers.
No, ILM (who are gods among men) delivered the SFX, and did so with their usual amount of being fucking incredible, but a good narrative shouldn't be considered a luxury in a major motion picture.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
luvd1 said:
So what was the excuse for the first movie?
I love you.

In all seriousness, "Transformers 2 writers explain why it sucked: Two words. MICHAEL BAY."

Yes, the man has created some fun movies (Friday the 13th reboot, Bad Boys 2) but for the most part, makes incredibly overdone action films that are more stupid than anything else. And anything that can go as an adaptation (Transformers) or historical epic (Pearl Harbor) pretty much dies in his hand.

He's not a bad director, mind. I watch his movies and understand WHAT he's trying to do. He's a competent director to say the least. The movies look good, the music is usually well organized and written, and the editors and cinematographers he hires do their jobs well.

The. Writing. Always. Always. ALWAYS. SUCKS. A. HOOGE. CHUB. I can even go further! The plot is understandable. The stories might be cliche, but they're in some way fun. The way he falls? In every movie he's ever done? Two things: One, pacing. Two, characters.

I've NEVER cared about any character in any film he's directed, and the pacing in most of them is either too slow (Pearl Harbor) or an adrenaline junkie trying cocaine, speed, and caffeine for the first time. While on a rollercoaster. (Bad Boys 2, Armageddon) Not only that, if he does an adaptation, he makes it about the 2 dimensional characters nobody gives a flying fuck about, and NOT the ones that, you know, MAKE UP THE ADAPTATION! (Transformers - all of them) The transformers movies might just be called:

"Teen Angst, Patriotism, and the Dumb but Heroic Military The Movie: We occasionally see big robots."

Somebody stop him. Please. If not, then BRING HIM BETTER SCRIPTS!!! DEVELOP CHARACTERS MORE AND PUT A HAPPY-MEDIUM ON YOUR PACING! Or, just don't bother and speak to Speilberg or Bruckheimer. They have terrible movies too, but the good outweigh the bad.

Korusho

Apr 4, 2011
Stickwell said:
No, I loved it because it was Transformers, The whole analyzing the quality of the flick didn't matter to me when I saw it... I was all 'HOLY F*#(, ACTION!'
GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING, WHO GIVES A F^(% ABOUT THE STORY.
This was pretty much my opinoin throughout the movie. Don't care about the story, I wanna watch Optimus rip some Decepticons to tiny metal shreds.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Personally, I enjoyed the movie except one thing.
Megan Fox.
The Muppet Show has better actors than her, and they are Godamn DOLLS.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Fuck you. You make horrible movies that cater to idiots and yes, I stand by that. Who the hell could watch the flabbergast that was the first and second Transformer movie and say it was "decent" or "enjoyable"? So many people say the action was good but seriously, fuck them.
The Escapist when it comes to Michael Bay in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

If you thought the first Transformers was good fun and could overlook the painful jokes and some of the main actors, fuck you.

If you like Bad Boys or The Rock, two movies that a lot of people like, fuck you.

I suggest you take your elitism and stuff it, go watch the original cartoon and think about how Bay destroyed your childhood and how much you're better than people who enjoyed those two movies.

Did I ever claim Bay "destroyed my childhood"? My criticism of the movie is of the movie itself. It's terrible. How can you ever say it's "good fun"? What's fun about it? Is it the horrible acting? Is it the moronic way Bay or rather the writers handled the robots? Is it the nauseating action scenes where half the time you don't even know what the fuck is happening? Is it how the robots are basically second hand characters? Please, do tell what's so fun about watching that movie because I sure as hell haven't noticed a glimpse of anything that even resembles quality.

Also, when the fuck did I ever say "fuck you" to the people who enjoyed Bad Boys? My insult was towards people who kept saying the movie was "fun" or that the action was "good". Actually, I guess my insult was towards you and even more so now that you've taken my entire comment out of context. If you believe the movie had any redeeming qualities then do show them and do tell why they're redeeming. Otherwise, stop calling me an elitist when you don't even know the meaning of the word.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Is it the nauseating action scenes where half the time you don't even know what the fuck is happening?
I didn't see Transformers 2 so I can't speak about it, but I didn't have much trouble unserstanding "what the fuck is happening" in the first one. Therefore, I could enjoy the movie I wasn't going to see again just because it was loud, dumb and had good CGI. If you care so much about the character stuff and couldn't just deal with it, that doesn't mean nobody else was unable to switch off their brain or that they're automatically idiots.

AndyFromMonday said:
Also, when the fuck did I ever say "fuck you" to the people who enjoyed Bad Boys?
Well, I don't know, maybe it was whe-

AndyFromMonday said:
You make horrible movies that cater to idiots and yes, I stand by that.
Oh.

Oh right.

Look at you, all fair and not generalizing.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
I didn't see Transformers 2 so I can't speak about it, but I didn't have much trouble unserstanding "what the fuck is happening" in the first one.
Switch your brain off? How does that actually work? I've seen people say this thousands of time and yet I never understood what it truly meant. Are you talking about ignoring the horrible acting and the terrible action scenes? But then what remains? Elaborate, please.

Is it really so "elitist" of me to ask for a coherent plot, decent acting and good action scenes from a movie like that? Look at Inception. It's not overly complex, but it has a coherent plot, great acting and good action scenes. It's not the masterpiece it's glorified as but it's overall a good movie. Look at Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Another movie in which Michael Cera chases a girl but let's be fair, it's good. Good acting, good plot and absolutely great action scenes. Look at fucking Pulp Fiction. A movie that I have a hard time classifying but still, it has amazing acting, great action scenes and a great plot. These are just 3 examples and I can list many more. We've established that making an action movie that contains these 3 qualities is not hard. Michael Bay failed on all three counts. So please tell me how am I supposed to enjoy it? It's already established that if you attempt to ignore what's crap about it you end up with nothing. How the hell should I look at it in order to enjoy it then?

JourneyThroughHell said:
Oh.

Oh right.

Look at you, all fair and not generalizing.

One mildly decent movie written by Quentin Tarantino does not mean he's a good director. He's shit and as it stands, will always be shit unless the stars align or he gets hit in the head by a boulder.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
It actually seems like the third movie will be passably decent. They've put their time into it, they're staying away from deserts, dorky humour and when the robots die, now they stay dead. Also Megan Fox is gone. She's glorious eye-candy but what an awful actress.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
You know. I didn't mind it so much. [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1055369/usercomments-1045]

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Switch your brain off? How does that actually work? I've seen people say this thousands of time and yet I never understood what it truly meant. Are you talking about ignoring the horrible acting and the terrible action scenes? But then what remains? Elaborate, please.
I don't remember the action scenes being quite so bad at all. I only saw the movie twice but the first time around I remember it being pretty good and I didn't hate it the second time.

The acting? Not much worse than the usual action schlock. This is Transformers after all, not The Departed.

Plot's shit but, again, really, you can enjoy a movie with a shit plot. I'll have to go no further than your example - I think Inception was carried solely by set-pieces and soundtrack and that the plot was largely trite, yet I had fun.

So, no, it's not "elitist" to ask for plot, acting, action in a movie. It is, however, "elitist" to insult everyone who likes it.

AndyFromMonday said:
One mildly decent movie written by Quentin Tarantino does not mean he's a good director. He's shit and as it stands, will always be shit unless the stars align or he gets hit in the head by a boulder.
There's a line between "Bay is shit" and "his movies are made for idiots".

I would disagree with him being shit seeing how he still does action well, but that's not what this is about.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
AndyFromMonday said:
I don't remember the action scenes being quite so bad at all. I only saw the movie twice but the first time around I remember it being pretty good and I didn't hate it the second time.

The acting? Not much worse than the usual action schlock. This is Transformers after all, not The Departed.

Plot's shit but, again, really, you can enjoy a movie with a shit plot. I'll have to go no further than your example - I think Inception was carried solely by set-pieces and soundtrack and that the plot was largely trite, yet I had fun.

So, no, it's not "elitist" to ask for plot, acting, action in a movie. It is, however, "elitist" to insult everyone who likes it.

AndyFromMonday said:
There's a line between "Bay is shit" and "his movies are made for idiots".

I would disagree with him being shit seeing how he still does action well, but that's not what this is about.
I'm tired of this. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
PhiMed said:
But the action sucked. It was poorly choreographed, inexpertly shot, ugly, difficult to follow, and pointless. There was no tension or sense of purpose or danger. I swear during the fight where Optimus "died" I just quit trying to figure out who the hell was doing what and spaced out.

And just when you started to care about what was going on in the action, they'd cut to captain douchebag running like a sissy, or slutdog McGee doing... something... with that damn thing in her purse. Or one of the comic relief characters doing something racially offensive. Or they'd make a dick joke that wouldn't make a 12 year-old chuckle.

I get so tired of people saying this movie was good "because of robots fighting and stuff".

I could make more interesting, more exciting action sequences with some fireworks and gasoline in my back yard.
So because you didn't like it no one else is allowed to have enjoyed it?