Tribes Ascend Released

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I was wondering if anyone has any skiing tips beyond the obvious like go down a hill to get momentum, especially if there's a way to reliably build up speed on a flat surface, like in the enemies base?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
I was wondering if anyone has any skiing tips beyond the obvious like go down a hill to get momentum, especially if there's a way to reliably build up speed on a flat surface, like in the enemies base?
Well...

1: Jetpack physics are weird and annoying in this game. They will rapidly accelerate you up to 72kph and then virtually stop. So they're good for that much speed, but nothing more. Inside the enemy base, this is pretty much your top speed. Right click to jump-jet, let off, then while you're still in the air, hold the right mouse button and move forward. Don't hit your head on anything. Drop to the ground and ski if you've got the speed and trajectory you want.

2: On-impact explosives. Shoot the ground behind yourself and jump to get a bunch of speed and air. Impact nitrons are best for this, so long as you're not carrying the flag (you'll drop it). The egocentric perk is hugely important to reduce self-damage. Most capper run egocentric. Don't do this indoors, though.

3: The thrust pack, and alternate pack for pathfinders. Not useful at high speeds, but it's commonly used by chasers to get up to speed and change direction.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
The Crotch said:
If you play medium defence, you are an absolute god in my opinion. The doombringer sitting on his flag is a mighty beast, but he can be easily shut down by a sniper sitting on a Katabatic tower plinking away at him with a sniper rifle, or a juggernaut on the east hill mortaring the stand on Raindance. He needs a medium (or someone with a vehicle, maybe) to go and duel those people. Even if you don't succeed in killing them, simply keeping the enemy offence occupied so they can't clear the stand for their capper can be huge.

Soldiers are perhaps "best suited" to outdoor medium defence thanks to their combination of "on-impact" explosives (the thumper or the spinfusor) and bullet weapons (AR or pistol), though they're actually one of the weaker classes in my opinion. Their AR is among the weakest automatics in the game, and the thumper is among the weakest explosives. The spinfusor is much better (it can kill an upgrade sentinel or pathfinder in one direct hit), but the pistol has terrible fall-off. Their AP and frag grenades are good and they have better energy than the other mediums, but they have a lot of trouble fighting raiders (their SMG is really good, and the shield pack makes them more durable than a heavy) and juggernauts who use the light machine gun (they're basically doombringers with mortars and better grenades at that point).

EDIT: And srsly, people about to get in to the game, I can not stress enough that you should use someone's referal code for the EXP bonus. Mine's at the tail end of the last page, and I'm sure anyone else who's posted in this thread would be happy to give you theirs.
Yeah I've found snipers aren't that hard to take out when you get close to them, but Jugs are tough as anything. I was thinking maybe of trying out the Raider when I've saved up a few points. I've already bought most of the cheap stuff for the Soldier so it's either new class or save up for the Spinfuser. Or maybe I could get a perk... Egocentric looks like a good useful one.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
The Crotch said:
NightHawk21 said:
Well...

1: Jetpack physics are weird and annoying in this game. They will rapidly accelerate you up to 72kph and then virtually stop. So they're good for that much speed, but nothing more. Inside the enemy base, this is pretty much your top speed. Right click to jump-jet, let off, then while you're still in the air, hold the right mouse button and move forward. Don't hit your head on anything. Drop to the ground and ski if you've got the speed and trajectory you want.

2: On-impact explosives. Shoot the ground behind yourself and jump to get a bunch of speed and air.
Wow, no, don't do these.

You don't use jetpacks for speed, you use hills for speed and jetpacks to help with your momentum up the next hill. You don't want to be meters above the air when you're just trying to get around horizontally, that's for dodging incoming spinfuzers and getting to higher ground. You should be appraching flags with well over half your jetpack and at about 120 minimum, I mostly play soldier as well so that's not even with the light whippy classes like pathfinder.

Obviously you're not going to be getting loads of speed with the heavy classes like Juggernaught, but you shouldn't be having to shoot the floor to get momentum, use your environment.

Edit: Oh, he did say on a flat surface. Which is mostly in bases where you're not going to be going overly fast anyway. I still would never advise what is basically a rocket jump.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Always loved Tribes, glad to see it making a return. I have been there since the Beta and it is truly a great return of a classic series. Loooove it. Awesome, truly a skill game.

I am very upset at all the "They copy Halo and TF"-people. Tribes was one of the very first pioneers of online shooters, inspiring games like Halo and TF. Know your retro games.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
DazZ. said:
The Crotch said:
NightHawk21 said:
Well...

2: On-impact explosives. Shoot the ground behind yourself and jump to get a bunch of speed and air.
Wow, no, don't do these.

You don't use jetpacks for speed, you use hills for speed and jetpacks to help with your momentum up the next hill. You don't want to be meters above the air when you're just trying to get around horizontally, that's for dodging incoming spinfuzers and getting to higher ground. You should be appraching flags with well over half your jetpack and at about 120 minimum, I mostly play soldier as well so that's not even with the light whippy classes like pathfinder.

Obviously you're not going to be getting loads of speed with the heavy classes like Juggernaught, but you shouldn't be having to shoot the floor to get momentum, use your environment.

Edit: Oh, he did say on a flat surface. Which is mostly in bases where you're not going to be going overly fast anyway. I still would never advise what is basically a rocket jump.
Like he said, he was mostly talking about indoor/flat ground speed. Hence the jetpacks. They're useless for reaching a capping speed because of the acceleration cap.

And disk/nitron jumps are a core part of the capper skillset. Absolutely essential. Observe:

That'll get you a lot more than "120 minimum".

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Remember, egocentric to reduce the damage and lots of nitron grenades. Any on-impact explosive will work just fine (time-delayed explosives like the arx buster are trickier but doable), but nitrons do very little damage for the amount of impulse they give. And don't nitron yourself if you already have the flag, 'cause there was a patch about a month back that made it force flag drops even on yourself.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
I played the beta of this game and I must say that it is very entertaining as well as challenging, it offers a different gameplay style to most shooters at this current date and alongside that, you gotta go fast. So, without a doubt, the title gets a thumbs up from me, and I will enjoy playing it.

Shazbot

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
It's damn fun. Just been playing Soldier. Love the thumper.
Still, 42k xp to unlock a new weapon? Fuck that shit yo.
And that is the #1 reason I'm not playing yet. For one, I already have a grind-time sink in LoL, but I'm also not ready to commit real money to it because, well, I'm not sure if I'd be happy with the content I'd unlock.

That's the Catch 22 of Pay-for-grind.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Hammeroj said:
The game's decent, but I'm really disliking the overt reliance on explosive weapons. It's a monotonous borefest when every single character can (and usually does) get a thumper/spinfusor that require zero skill. Especially indoors. Every engineer who bought a thumper should be ashamed of themselves.
Spinfusor = zero skill?

Get out of here. If anything the automatic weapons require no skill.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
kortin said:
Hammeroj said:
The game's decent, but I'm really disliking the overt reliance on explosive weapons. It's a monotonous borefest when every single character can (and usually does) get a thumper/spinfusor that require zero skill. Especially indoors. Every engineer who bought a thumper should be ashamed of themselves.
Spinfusor = zero skill?

Get out of here. If anything the automatic weapons require no skill.
The spinfuser is really hard to use outdoors. I've been playing a lot of infiltrator and CTF and there is nothing more frustrating than a jug with fusion and a spinfuser guarding the generator. Especially when they just continuously spam mortars into the door.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
The spinfuser is really hard to use outdoors. I've been playing a lot of infiltrator and CTF and there is nothing more frustrating than a jug with fusion and a spinfuser guarding the generator. Especially when they just continuously spam mortars into the door.
The easiest way to get a lot of XP is to do that. The XP prices on items are too damn high! D:

Hopefully when the servers come out and they get a nice source of revenue, they'll be able to reduce XP prices to something a bit more reasonable. Hopefully.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Wait a minute, when you have the average enemy traveling at 100-150 mph while you're moving at a variable speed. Hitting someone requires timing and prediction to compensate for not only their speed but your own. Then for some weapons (like the thumper) you have to compensate for bullet drop. All those factors have to be compensated for in a split second so would you care to explain how they require no skill?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Shame a lot of y'all missed out on the soldier spinfusor giveaway.
Windcaler said:
Hammeroj said:
Wait a minute, when you have the average enemy traveling at 100-150 mph while you're moving at a variable speed. Hitting someone requires timing and prediction to compensate for not only their speed but your own. Then for some weapons (like the thumper) you have to compensate for bullet drop. All those factors have to be compensated for in a split second so would you care to explain how they require no skill?
As Extra Credits would say, "first order optimal strategies". New players find it a lot easier to kill enemies by hitting them on the ground with splash damage. As people get better they find that the bullet weapons are much easier to aim and have better DPS. It's a lot easier to snipe or hose down an airborn target than it is to mid-air him with a slow-moving projectile explosive.

Despite the fact that most explosives are harder to aim than and severely out-DPSed by automatics (the major exceptions to the DPS thing being a number of the grenades, including the raider's grenade launchers), projectile explosives still rule indoors. They also have a massive advantage in burst damage (a dead hit from the regular and heavy spinfusors or the heavy bolt launcher will one-shot an upgraded pathfinder or sentinel) and impulse (the ability to knock yourself, enemies, and flags around).

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
I managed to get the spinfusor giveaway! Check out this site:
http://www.ascendforums.com/topic/73-gold-codes-promo-codes/

Third post down will tell you how to get it. As of this morning there are about 1000 left, so you all may still have a chance.

Not sure I'm ready to give up my assault rifle yet though. I've been mostly playing Pathfinder and forcing myself to learn the Spinfusor, but the majority of my kills still come from playing Soldier. I'm getting good at keeping my speed up and learning routes though - got half the flag caps in my last game!

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Luca72 said:

Third post down will tell you how to get it. As of this morning there are about 1000 left, so you all may still have a chance.

Not sure I'm ready to give up my assault rifle yet though. I've been mostly playing Pathfinder and forcing myself to learn the Spinfusor, but the majority of my kills still come from playing Soldier. I'm getting good at keeping my speed up and learning routes though - got half the flag caps in my last game!
Sweet! Thank you! There's still 992 remaining at the time of writing.

Captcha: "chuck norris". Seriously?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Luca72 said:

Nice catch I updated the original post to let everyone know.