Update: Beta Tester Leaks Elder Scrolls Online Gameplay Footage

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
piinyouri said:
Frostbite3789 said:
What reason would I have for picking this up over that?
If you're an Elder Scrolls fan.
From what I've heard, most TES fans aren't very excited for this. In fact quite the opposite.
People often tend to be silly and overly cynical.
Their opinion is their opinion of course, but this is probably as best anyone could hope for a ES-MMO conversion.
As Mr.K said, there's limitations, some things are just not possible.
They've done a pretty good job within their limitations in my ever insignificant opinion.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Managed to watch the video before it was taken down and all through out watching it it reminded me of another MMO I played, I didn't make the WoW connection like some have, instead for me the whole thing looked like Age of Conan, from the character creation screen to the combat to the area looking a lot like the first time I arrived in Stygia in that game.

And those were not good comparisons!

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Corven said:
Hagi said:
Actually pleasantly surprised by how much it's not a generic fantasy MMO.
snip
It's kinda sad that so far besides your comment, pretty much everyone else has decried this game as a WoW clone especially since most of the information we have about the game show's that it is more in line with Guild wars 2 in terms of it's gameplay mechanics.
Is that... supposed to be a good thing? Guild Wars 2 was a massive letdown and an embarrassment to ArenaNet. GW1 at least had its quality PvP content to keep the game going, but GW2 features typical awful-MMO PvP and hilariously grindy (even by MMO standards) PvE that doesn't even have an endgame. If a company wanted to copy an MMO that succeeded, they'd be far better off copying WoW than GW2.

That said, it would be better if they didn't copy ANY existing game type and simply ported what makes Elder Scrolls releases successful and engaging games into MMO format. Copying WoW at this point is pretty moot (even though it's better than copying some other games) - you aren't going to compete with it. Aside from the MMO market stagnating, you have to do new and better things to draw players away from the current monster in the arena. GW2 tried and failed, but at least it tried something new :/

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
We should keep in mind that this is still early beta footage, and the game is sure to change drastically as it leads up to its release, but at the moment it doesn't quite look as epic as the teaser trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121636-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Beta-Signups-Begin] they released a while back, when soliciting beta sign-ups.
People said the same thing about the Hellgate London beta. When a game is this far into development, what you're seeing is what you're going to get. I had preordered HL for $5, and never went to pick up my "copy" when it arrived. Sure enough, that thing floundered like a rabbit and my friends weren't even interested in it after a few weeks anyway.

I'm disappointed, but this is also what I expected with a 3rd party stepping in to try and suck up money just based on the TES name alone.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I have never played an MMO, but to me this looks good. I want to see all these new environments and travel across more of Tamriel so i think I'll pick it up. I dislike how you can't play in first person though. Seemed to have a very Skyrim feel to it which is good.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
sid said:
This kind of occured to me. Can you really blame an MMORPG for being similar to World of Warcraft? Isn't that kind of like blaming a company that makes tennis rackets for being similar in design to Wilson? It's not that they're blatantly copying anything, rather the main issue seems to be that they're the same genre. Sure, Guild Wars steps away from WoW, but only on surface level, more specifically, the art style and fluid gameplay. It still incorporates everything that WoW stands for. Just a thought, maybe the main issue with MMORPGs being shit is that MMORPG itself isn't particularly cool.
It's not the genre of MMO, but the laziness of the developers that makes an MMO that determines if it's going to suck or not. WoW is even after all this time still the big daddy of MMOs, and everybody is copying it hoping to replicate it's success, and so far it hasn't been working, because everybody who's interested in playing a WoW copy is already playing WoW, and those who are copying it tend to do a crappy job of it too. The only other successful subscription based MMO out there is EVE Online, and the reason it's a success is because it's not only a good game, but a very very DIFFERENT game from WoW, and these people making MMOs (or games in general really) haven't realized that people don't want the same crap over and over again, no matter how much better that same crap is over the rest, but very different experiences.

Songblade

Jan 28, 2011
"Leaked" ... suuuure.

[rant] [re-read rant] [deleted rant.]

I'm not really adding to this discussion. lol

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
"Honestly, apart from the fully voiced NPCs, this game looks like another horribly generic run-of-the-mill World Of Warcraft style MMO."

What. A. Shock.
So its Elder Wars: The Republic of Scrolls Online?

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
DalekJaas said:
I have never played an MMO, but to me this looks good. I want to see all these new environments and travel across more of Tamriel so i think I'll pick it up. I dislike how you can't play in first person though. Seemed to have a very Skyrim feel to it which is good.
I'm pretty sure that they've said that you CAN play in first person...

I didn't get to see the video before it was taken down (saw it last night and figured... eh I'll watch it tomorrow...) but from what I've heard and seen of the game it sounds better than what people here are describing it as, so I'm a bit confused and concerned at how bad that video was and of how representative of the overall game it will be... I've had my eye on this for a while so I'm hoping it's good... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Didn't look like the best thing ever, BUT, I'm willing to admit that the player who was recording was not really doing anything of interest. He chose a class that could have been interesting, but spent his time trying to hit lizards and rats. He powered through the voice-acted quest system, something I was interested in seeing play out, and just in general wasn't playing it in a very flattering way.

I really do think the world looks a lot more immersive than other MMOs though. Something about it just seems more involving. Maybe it's having the small town-like area integrated right into the landscape, as opposed to being off behind a loading screen that makes it all feel more immersive. And the menus looked fine to me, so i don't know what everyone's getting all worked up about. The skill tree seemed a bit underwhelming though, which is a shame as I was hoping it would be a more involved version of the Skyrim setup which has been proven to be a lot of fun with the help of some mods.

Overall, it looked good. Not great or terrible, but accounting for the snoretastic recording, I do like what I saw in terms of combat and world-building. Hopefully it delivers.

GrayJester

May 31, 2011
If anyone is interested, the video is still present here:
http://riotpixels.com/dvadtsat-minut-gejmpleya-the-elder-scrolls-online/

BurnOutBrighter

Nov 8, 2007
6 years in development and $200 million later we get a bland, boring WoW clone.

I give it three months after release before it goes free to play.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Odbarc said:
marcooos said:
Its WoW in a elder scrolls face mask
Most MMO's suffer from being like the generic MMO. They all copy each other and there isn't anything significantly unique about any of them anymore. WoW was good for a short while because Blizzard actually made things better than the industry was offering in the genre, but now to compete, they all have to copy WoW at least. And most of them likely can't afford or afford to risk doing things better than what's already been done.

At best we can expect to see a different IP in the same clone and hope that we like that particular IP best. MMOs, I find, are horrifically grindy and merely stall players to the end-game content where they stagnant and require too much multiplayer cooperation to upgrade gear intended for PVP and potentially shorter jumps for new gear when expansions come out.
I don't buy that. They could literally just make Skyrim but an MMO and it would sell like fucking crazy especially if it was multiplatform, what they are doing here is more laziness than cowardice and it annoys the shit out of me

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Well it's hard to form an opinion on this early game early beta footage, seeing how I remember how much Guild Wars 2 changed from the conventions to how it is now. However one thing I do hope is that the combat for this Sorcerer improves immensely as it gains level.

I still remember playing my Sorcerer in TERA and the early levels is where most of the complaints regarding the game's skill animation self-rooting come from. Said players wind up quitting before even reaching the threshold whereby the self-rooting becomes a non-issue. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G8RfQX0VnA&hd=1] If the combat in TESO has a similar progression then it most reach that threshold early enough, so playing won't quit because of it.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Stormwaltz said:
synobal said:
Is it so bad to want a fantasy version of EVE online?
Maybe you're waiting for Pathfinder Online and you don't know it yet. Have a dev blog. [https://goblinworks.com/blog/]
From what I hear, Age of Wushu is quite a bit like that as well, though its still fairly bare bones for the most part.

Looks fun though, fun and kinda hardcore.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
The game looks and plays almost exactly like Skyrim...

this game looks like another horribly generic run-of-the-mill World Of Warcraft style MMO.
I don't get it. Skyrim is nothing like a WoW-style MMO, so it can't possibly look like both at the same time.