Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
He didn't even legitimately tell the guy to kill himself. Anyone with two working brain cells could see he was just reciting a line from Futurama. It speaks to his arrogance, but can't be taken seriously as a death threat.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Beer was way out of line, it was quite a vicious attack on someone with serious mental health issues (Fish is bi-polar).

Some of the comments here are pretty shameful, if they were directed at a fellow forum goer there would be bans aplenty.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who had never heard of the guy.

Or "Fez" for that matter.

But if he was acting like a petulant child with only minimal noteriety, imagine if he designed for a bigger gaming house. HE would be the one swinging from the rafters instead of a reporter. Sheesh.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Vie said:
I've barely heard of the guy and I already want to slap him about the head and tell him to grow up.

That's never a good sign.
Yeah. I usually make a mantra out of ignoring peoples/artists characters and recommend others to do the same. If one really doesn't want to support selfish assholes with weird ideas, we'd be unable to watch most movies, listen to most music and we'd also have to cut back on the majority of painters and pencillers. That's a generalization, of course, but cuntmuffins come in all shapes and colours. Phil Fish should have gotten some proper management or PR team the moment he struck gold. He's just not very good with words... or people.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
GoaThief said:
Beer was way out of line, it was quite a vicious attack on someone with serious mental health issues (Fish is bi-polar).

Some of the comments here are pretty shameful, if they were directed at a fellow forum goer there would be bans aplenty.
Ah, but I don't really care if Fish is bipolar or hailing from Alpha Centauri. It's none of my business. If I have that information, I might gladly give him a free multipass the first time he goes bonkers, but I would absolutely expect him to get a grip on himself one way or another after that. Fish is above that. You either got yourself in check and under control or you pay people to do that for you. Fish has been well out of line for a while and repeatedly went borderline psychotic batpoop crazy, shit just gets old really fast.

I also don't agree on the 'vicious attack' description of yours. Beer used foul language interspersed with eff words. It's his personal style, not very smart, not very edgy, but he usually has at least one straight man countering his lovely and loving negativity. Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish = blowfish. Hilarious? No. But that's not the core of the criticism Beer came up with. I think Beer made proper points that should be addressed and, maybe, discussed beyond Invisible Walls.

As Lao-Tse said: You better check yoself before you wreck yoself.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
KungFuJazzHands said:
Fish: Obviously troubled young man. most likely suffering from some sort of social anxiety disorder. Can't handle criticism or stress. Lashes out at friends and critics alike. Possibly bi-polar.

Beer: Self-important games critic and sometimes-PR douche for industry companies. Stereotypical British "holier than thou" attitude. No obvious psychological conditions. Very big mouth.

One has mental issues, the other is just an asshole. I know where my sympathies lie.
An asshole with mental issues is still an asshole.

Team Beer all the way.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
KungFuJazzHands said:
Fish: Obviously troubled young man. most likely suffering from some sort of social anxiety disorder. Can't handle criticism or stress. Lashes out at friends and critics alike. Possibly bi-polar.

Beer: Self-important games critic and sometimes-PR douche for industry companies. Stereotypical British "holier than thou" attitude. No obvious psychological conditions. Very big mouth.

One has mental issues, the other is just an asshole. I know where my sympathies lie.
Hmm...

That breakdown reminds me of something...

Get me CBS on the phone now!

odanhammer

Oct 11, 2009
eh fez 2 cancelled .. no loss . i never bothered to play the first one after seeing that on xbox it had some critical bug of some sorts.. figured it would of gotten sorted out.. which it never really did before i forgot about the game and this loser indie dev.

Look i have no problem with ranting on twitter about loser media members , nor do i have any problem with media members commenting on loser indie devs. But when it goes to far , and you tell someone to kill themselves.. your on my list of do not buy from ever. And then cancelling the 2nd game your making .. well that just makes it real easy to not purchase anything from this guy .
eh

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
A favorite comment of mine from other reports of this.

"In other news - Local boy takes ball, goes home."

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I'm starting to understand more and more why Fish's partner left him, and was possibly even thinking about screwing Phil over. I don't have anything major against Phil, but he seems to just think that he can act like any normal person with an internet connection and not receive any more shit even though he is a rather big name, and makes certain people know he's big. He's way too full of himself, that bubble is way to thin that shields his ego so he'll lash out at the slightest indication that someone doesn't agree with him, and he acts like the world owes him for his ultimate "genius." Not that Fez isn't a good game(I've yet to play it so I don't know), but I doubt it's any better than some of the better games even in the AAA industry. And I bet most Japanese games are better than his own. And then, if THIS is why he canceled Fez II, he's a bigger baby than thought possible.

He seems like the kind of guy I'd be internet friends with. And considering how big of a shut in I am(if I hang out with friends, I need a few days at home to recuperate, so I talk with my friends more online), that means quite a bit.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I say good on him and fuck the police. The amount of shit this guy gets regularly is astounding. Some of it is deserved (anti-semitism) and the rest is unnecessary provocation. While I probably wouldn't recommend someone else kill themselves, let's be honest, neither did Fish. "Kill yourself" is a pretty mundane sentiment these days, especially when it comes from Futurama. This was understandable.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I said after the Indie Movie for him to get the fuck off every social website because they can and will be hurtful. It's just a big distraction no developer needs.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
And we're not going anywhere.
He then quit. As a "hipster," I'm sure he appreciates the "irony."

"quotes!"

how would you react tot his kind of shit if you were me," he said, "consider it's been going on for years now. you'd take the high road?
You know what? I wouldn't be in this situation. I can be a bit of a dick sometimes, but Phil Fish is a dick on a whole 'nother level. And he lacks the self-awareness to understand WHY he attracts this sort of drama. Probably because he emits drama like most people exhale CO2.

This is a statement that I'm sure rings true for many others who have made career-ruining blunders via twitter, such as everyone's favorite Microsoft bigmouth, Adam Orth.
Anyone else noticing a pattern here? People who say stupid things are the ones who have a rough time on Twitter?

Ishal said:
The man either seems to be a complete jackhole, or a complete jackhole that is possibly suffering from bipolar disorder. Honestly reading some is hies previous rants on twitter, I expect outbursts like his from a 14-16 boy, not from a successful indie dev.
He apparently suffers from depression, which I've now learned (from others' reactions to this story) is apparently free reign to be a douche. So if I offend anyone with this post, keep in mind I suffer from depression[footnote]This is not a joke or a misrepresentation, before anyone accuses me of being tasteless. I have been diagnosed with severe depression and have struggled with it for over a decade now. I understand what people with depressive disorders go through; I merely disagree with the notion that it's free reign to act like a childish asshole[/footnote].

Ghonzor said:
So his solution is to act like a six year-old? Yeah, that certainly solves the problem.
Especially since it was the start of his problem, too.

Senare said:
Without knowing any historical context, acting like this is very human and that is not something I would hold against him. Dick or not - if this was someone else, would you really hold it against that person to steam up and lash out if they were attacked? How much of a moral high ground should we really expect others to take?
Depends. He reminds me of guys in high school that used to pick fights and complain when they got their asses kicked. This seems like a verbal case--dude talks shit frequently, then someone ridicules him and he's all "I'M QUITTING THE INDUSTRY 4EVER!!!!!!!!!" and "KILL YOURSELF!"

Whether or not I hold it against someone to "lash out" if they're being attacked depends greatly on the context. someone known for being a blowhard and a jerk in the first place isn't going to get my sympathy like someone who's being dogged for no good reason or someone having a bad day. Emphasis on a. When someone fairly routinely acts like an out-of-control-child, I don't feel bad for them.

I expect no moral high ground from Phil Fish. But nor do I offer him sympathy for hostility he's been breeding since he arrived on the scene.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Well, Marcus Beer doesn't really mince his words and I respect him for that, but I could see how overly sensitive types like Fish could take offense to being called names by a journalist.

The problem is I can't defend Fish either, as even the most crippling bout of depression ever to be imagined wouldn't give you licence to act like a dick in a public space. Like it or not, Twitter is *very much* a public space.

I just think it's sad, really. One of the best designers in recent years has the petulance and thickness of skin of a five year-old. I'd stack that with when I learned that Doug TenNapel was a severely convinced right-winger. Politics aside, that disappointed me. I grew up on Earthworm Jim and I absolutely freaking loved his "Ratfist" comic.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
When under stress, remember there are two words you can use that get the point across and are pretty uncontroversial: "Fuck Off". Bam! Sure you'll take a bit of heat; but it's a pretty baseline response.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Necrofudge said:
He didn't even legitimately tell the guy to kill himself. Anyone with two working brain cells could see he was just reciting a line from Futurama. It speaks to his arrogance, but can't be taken seriously as a death threat.
Two working brain cells and a knowledge of a show that's been cancelled more than once, that is.

Two working brain cells, a knowledge of a show that's been canceled more than once, and the ability to completely ignore the context of his tirade, actually.

Also, I'm not sure "Kill yourself" is taken as a "death threat," but maybe that's because I'm not trying to make excuses for a man on a histrionic rampage. I mean, you're arguing against something that (far as I can tell) literally nobody here is saying.

More to the point, the fact that you're quoting someone doesn't mean something isn't sincere. This goes back to the "context" thing.