Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."

So, then, exactly because of something someone said over Twitter.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I never liked this asshole, he has always been an unbelievable dickhead to anyone that gives him even a little bit of criticize, to telling people to suck and choke on his dick to this, i dont care if he was quoting a tv show or not, its a joke in bad taste, tosh.0 makes a lot of terrible jokes, does not mean im going to go quoting him, because not everyone is going to know what the hell im talking about.

im quite happy he is not making games anymore, the medium is better without this jerk.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Oh my, it saddens me to see the greatest man in the games industry leaving like this.

Part of me still thinks he will be back in less than a week, though.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
NiPah said:
Never got to play Fez, too busy playing Japanese games and triple A games to have a chance.

Oh hey, he's said something stupid again, oh and he canceled a game he was making I was never going to play, truly an uneventful day overall.

On the other hand Tales of Xillia is coming out soon, can't wait to play the shit out of that.
Got the Collector's Edition pre-ordered and paid off. Now just to wait for the release date. I expect good things.

On Topic: I understand that getting criticized and insulted can do a good deal of damage to one's self esteem and mentality but at the same time Phil Fish went way out of line with this. I also saw some of the other things he has said on Twitter too and I honestly have no sympathy for this man.

When you're watched and judged continually you need to keep your composure at all times otherwise something like this can happen.

If Twitter is where most of the insults are coming from, logically the best choice would be to get off of Twitter. Plus, canceling the development of Fez II is nothing but a slap in the face to fans of Fez and people looking forward to Fez II.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Does every FEZ-related article have to have happy Gomez with a cube as the thumbnail? That image's mood is much less appropriate than, say, Gomez being sucked into a void.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Look, Phil is far from a pure hearted game designer. The guy insulted a Japanese developer, in public, at GDC last year. He now gets called a "tosspot" for rudely refusing a simple response to Gameinformer about Xboxone. And now he leaves gaming for getting flack for his attitude? When has a gaming company never gotten flack? Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Blizzard, etc. All get flack when they do or say something stupid. Phil Fish is not special enough not to get flack for doing something stupid. Now he Divas out of the gaming industry and we are supposed to feel sorry for him? F' that!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dr Pussymagnet said:
Fuck Marcus Beer, fuck this clickbait headline, and fuck Gamers for celebrating the fact that someone was so jaded by our shitty awful community that it made him quit.

I give him credit for sticking it out this long though, since being under constant scrutiny from the gaming community of all places would drive me fucking insane.
No one made him quit, he chose to quit. He could have just as easily stopped using his Twitter account and continue to develop his game but instead he decides to quit over something that could have been easily avoided if he had kept his cool. Yeah, it sucks getting insulted and criticized all the time but if someone can't take the heat they need to stay out of the kitchen.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The way I see it Mr. Fish is being extremely immature, yeah people are assholes but that's what happens when your in the public eye. Also there's an old saying about treating others the way you would like to be treated, so instead of being an ass to everyone he came in contact with he could have decided to treat other people with a grain of respect and then people might not have bullied him into making him act like a fucking five year old. I wish I didn't support this asshole by buying Fez last week during the Steam sale but I know I will try to have anyone I know not support him either.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
It's a shame really.
I did despise the creator for some of the things he said, so much as to not buy his product, but i do understand his side.
Most game developers aren't outgoing secure powerhouses, and being under scrutinity can break a person.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
You know what? I wouldn't be in this situation. I can be a bit of a dick sometimes, but Phil Fish is a dick on a whole 'nother level. And he lacks the self-awareness to understand WHY he attracts this sort of drama. Probably because he emits drama like most people exhale CO2.
Yes. So much yes.

Anyone else noticing a pattern here? People who say stupid things are the ones who have a rough time on Twitter?
it is indeed a pattern, and an enjoyable one. Yes people lose their jobs, and yes that is terrible, but guess what else is terrible? Not taking to heart the lesson our mums taught us when we were young, think before you say something stupid. These guys don't know how to act (or don't care in Fish's case) in a new media public space, they have no business being there.

He apparently suffers from depression, which I've now learned (from others' reactions to this story) is apparently free reign to be a douche. So if I offend anyone with this post, keep in mind I suffer from depression[footnote]This is not a joke or a misrepresentation, before anyone accuses me of being tasteless. I have been diagnosed with severe depression and have struggled with it for over a decade now. I understand what people with depressive disorders go through; I merely disagree with the notion that it's free reign to act like a childish asshole[/footnote].
I'll agree here too. You know, its like the stand up comedian who gets heckled, but doesn't know how to handle it. Most comedians would do one of two things. 1) Have security throw the guy/girl out 2) Have security throw the guy/girl out but take the heckling in stride and make the heckler the butt of a joke. Weave it into the act and keep the audience engaged. Fish would jump off the stage and stop the entire show just to personally argue with the guy, making everything awkward for everyone. It's what he's done on twitter for the past several months I've been occasionally visiting his twitter feed, because its been so humorous.

I'm sorry that you suffered from depression, but you are correct in that it doesn't give you free license to be a dick. I've been around people A LOT in my life who suffer from depression or some sort of disorder like bipolar. From seeing his tweets, to reading stuff like this, to even observing his mannerisms I figured there was something wrong :(

Often being a dick is a form of coping when under stress or depression. I actually think that is the whole reason behind his infamous, "Games from Japan just suck!" or whatever the comment was.

edit: ^^^ but that is no excuse.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Doomsdaylee said:
Uh...are you people fucking stupid?
The guy was insulted for doing his job, trying to bring happiness to gamers, and he responded by canceling his project because it wasn't bringing him happiness anymore, mostly because fu-...ahem...people... like you were insulting him and his work. Have you ever created something only to have it dragged through the dirt?

And, by the by? Why is it SUCH a big deal if this guy quotes futurama? Or, if a game making nerd acts like a nerd...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic1YLkpl1Do[/youtube]
It wasn't his work that was criticized, it was his ego. Seriously, that thing is on Kanye levels.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Doomsdaylee said:
Uh...are you people fucking stupid?
The guy was insulted for doing his job, trying to bring happiness to gamers, and he responded by canceling his project because it wasn't bringing him happiness anymore, mostly because fu-...ahem...people... like you were insulting him and his work. Have you ever created something only to have it dragged through the dirt?

And, by the by? Why is it SUCH a big deal if this guy quotes futurama? Or, if a game making nerd acts like a nerd...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic1YLkpl1Do[/youtube]
It's really more the context of how he is using the quote. Telling someone to kill themselves either through their own mouth or a quote from a show is still telling someone to kill themselves. The way it is being used seems like he is telling Marcus Beer to kill himself. If Fish didn't mean it that way and instead another way he needs to say so.

I have said somethings on the internet in jest but other people have taken it a different way so I had to tell them that I meant it in a different way.

I am sure there have been plenty of people throughout history that have had their works dragged through the dirt yet decided to persevere and not give up. I am working on a book at the moment and I know that when it gets released not everyone will like it and that I will get criticized and insulted for it. Even when that happens I am not going to give up. I am going to keep writing no matter what anyone says.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I said this earlier in this thread, and I'm going to say it again because some people don't seem to grasp it.

It does not matter one iota that what Fish said was a Futurama quote. Just because it was a quote doesn't mean he was just kidding or trying to be funny.

If I were ever in a situation where I could say to someone "How about I point out that we've never actually been friends, and instead laugh at your well deserved misfortune?"

It doesn't make it okay just because I'm quoting from Community. It doesn't automatically mean I don't actually mean what I'm saying.

Now admittedly maybe Fish was just saying it as a joke. It doesn't surprise me at all that he'd be a Futurama fan. But since A. He didn't address that he was quoting (something he could have easily brought up at anytime) and B. Cancelled his game and is apparently quitting the industry, I'm not going to give him the benefit of that assumption. I'm going to assume he meant what he said, and that Bender quote was just a good way to say it.

I can certainly sympathize with the guy to a certain extent. Gamers coupled with the internet can be a pretty ruthless combo. I'm sure he's read enough e-mails and tweets insulting his work and himself that would probably get to just about any of us. But that's a risk you take when you get into this industry.

Like the old adage goes, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. There were a lot of ways he could have handled his criticism with good faith and humor rather than lashing out at fans and critics alike, and he basically chose not to. Reggie from Nintendo gets constantly made fun of. He's literally a joke on the internet. What did he do? He basically turned the joke into his own catch phrase, and now he's in on the joke. He laughs with us as we basically laugh at him.

John Layman from Chew (a comic series) on the back of each trade, he always puts 3 nice things critics have said and one negative quote. He carries on and tells the story he wants to tell, well aware of the negative criticism and even embracing it.

If Fish was really passionate about making games and it was what he really really wanted to do, then nothing fans, critics, or even random internet haters say should be able to deter him. But they did, and that's his choice. I may not like Fish, but I respect the choice he made.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Brussels said:
Twitter's such a pain.
True, BUT! He doesn't have to be on twitter. He can close his account, or close the window, or walk away from the computer, or phone, he can do something else. It's not like people are coming up to him on the street and saying shit to his face. He has an escape route that takes no effort to use.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Remember ladies and gentlemen, Sticks and Stones will always continue to remain relevant.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, considering Fish's history - continuing? - with astute depression, I'm more worried than angry now. I hope he didn't go off to... do... what he suggested... to himself. Oh, geez.
And just then nothing of value was lost.
He's still a human being, dude. A human piece of shit is still a human piece of shit.
You make the statement that he's a human being sound like it should garner respect and that in it's self by being human you create value. This is not the case.
It should create value of life, yes. Loss of human life is always a loss. No exception. Especially when it's a preventable loss like from suicide. Hell, especially from suicide.

I was suicidal once. I still am, even. And you know, I may not offer anything to humanity as a whole but my life still means things to people. And my death would still have been a loss. Even if it's not by my taking of life explicitly, the people that have to find my body, the people who drive the bus I step in front of... people lose out, even if its not just because I'm gone.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
nameless023 said:
Do we have some sort of "dislike" button for articles? Reading this article gave me a bitter feeling of disgust towards whoever wrote it. Now, before I begin I would like to point out that I'm no way supporting Phil Fish's attitude, everyone knows the man is a walking PR disaster. No, the following rant is directed to the person that wrote this article.

Let's start with the title, shall we? "Fez Dev tells Media Member to Kill Himself", quite the reader trap. You could've easily changed the title to something equally dramatic like "Phil Fish murders puppies for fun" and get the same attention from viewers. The article itself is brief and quick to deliver a point, and the writer's intended point seems to be "PHIL FISH IS BEING A DICK, AGAIN". It's blatantly one sided, leaving out important details of the story. Yes, it does mention the Invisible Walls thing *in one single sentence* and tries to make it seem like the worst thing this Marcus Beer guy did was calling him "Blowfish", but it fails to mention that Beer spent several minutes lashing out against Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow (from Braid) for not wanting to state their options about Microsoft's Indie Publishing and taking a direct aim at insulting Fish whenever possible, calling him a "Fucking Asshole" and a "Whiny Tosspot" among other things. Then you proceed to mock Phil Fish in a rather unprofessional way with snappy remarks for the sake of being "funny" and then you add (further) insult to injury by comparing Fish to some equally unlikable gaming personality like Adam Orth just because they both stated their personal opinions on Twitter and it backfired on them (FYI: also not defending Adam Orth).

Now, let's take a moment and think about Phil Fish for a moment. The guy's been taking crap all over before and after releasing FEZ, think about all that negative feedback he's been constantly getting ever since. And yes, most of the times that crap was in some way related to something retardedly stupid that he said, something that any public figure with common sense would never say in a open public channel such as Twitter. But there's only so much crap a person can take before everything bursts out, and in the case of our dear Phil Fish, him being the outspoken hot-headed man-child we know, this Twitter blowup was only expected of him.

Once again, I'm neither defending nor attacking Fish. The man fails to understand that making a rather successful indie game made him a public figure in the gaming industry, and as such he should think before talking (or Tweeting) about something that can potentially end up in crap like this. What upsets me is the way this article keeps on reinforcing the same "Phil Fish is an asshole" kind-of-meme and pushes readers into disliking this character and to keep making fun of him, instead of giving actual complete information and letting readers decide if it's worth defending his reasoning or not.
Pretty much this, agreed wholeheartedly. Some writers on the Escapist should definitely be kicked off the news team.