US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I honestly don't see the point in posting this. It's not video game news and it just starts stupid shit like "I don't understand why people like it" and then get people who rush to its defense and all that stupidity.

the clockmaker said:
Annnnnnd this is why the rest of the military makes fun of the air force.
They can make fun all they want, people in the air force get paid more and pretty much everything available for them is much nicer.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
For a long time now, I've been following the "Military Bronies" page on Facebook, and the main admin is a HARDCORE Brony who is in the Air Force. He must be losing his mind at this news! XD

This is cool though; I always liked bringing up the men and women fighting in foreign countries as examples for liking the show not being a dirty or emasculating thing. That it's just a good show that's liked by all types of people all over most of the world.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
while there are some pretty far out patches ive seen, this one takes the cake. im actually quite impressed a whole squadron agreed to it. keep in mind that anyone in a flight suit collects patches like candy though, its not like theyre the definitive brony squadron now. besides, the wonderbolts are based off the blue angels, who are navy. so as a sailor whose job is aviation, my new mission is clear!

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
The news story is mildly amusing, for sure. The discussion that's happening in the comments though? I'm actually a little surprised that there's still people getting uppity about the damn show. And this is from a person that actually got a bit bothered about it at the peak of the show's popularity in 2011. I'll be honest here: I used to get really irritated by the fans of the show, but the thing is that's when there were people that were ridiculously rabid about the show. That would reskin entire unrelated websites in ponies, and would do anything to make you be a fan of the show. However, those people calmed down, and so did I. The show just eventually melted into the background for me, and as such I don't mind a pony-related thing such as this story, especially if it's as tasteful and humorous as this story is. The people that still get pissed about this show's existence need to calm the fuck down. The fans are not the "rabid infection" that is "infesting every little corner of the internet". The pony fans have clamed down, so now it's your turn to reciprocate.

ADHD version:

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Xariat said:
I don't care much for ponies or bronies or whatever, I'm just wondering everything mlp related is still such a big deal. It's been like 3 years? you'd think the respective parties in the "debate" would have settled down by now. I mean every time mlp stuff get's posted both sides brings out the usual and old arguments; "it's a show for girls" "you're just to insecure to like it" "it's gay" "you just don't get it" and so on and so on. Are we not bored of this yet?
I agree. It's disappointing to see the same song and dance, every time one of these threads gets posted.

Would you believe that MLP was actually a banned topic at the last Escapist Expo?
No one was allowed to talk about it or even mention it, because it's such a shitstorm-inducing topic here.

Lord knows how people discussing this would react if they had physical access to each other. They'd be at each other's throats, quite literally.
That's a depressing thought. Bloodshed over a little girl's TV show. A real shining example of just how "far" we've gotten as a species as a whole. That's real misanthropic fuel right there.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Every fanbase has terrible people in it.
The irony here is that I was including you in the statement about hostile fans. If you don't get wrathed for some of your post earlier in this thread I'm going to question the impartiality of the moderators.

Every criticism you levy can be said about every single show for kids on the market. Why single out MLP for hate?
Because not one single other cartoon I can think of has a fan base that is this loud and obsessive(and in some cases creepy). The more I see people giving something an unquestioning tongue bath, the more I'm inclined to vocally dislike it. Its what took my opinion on the Last of Us from "might not buy" to "no sale".

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
kortin said:
I honestly don't see the point in posting this. It's not video game news and it just starts stupid shit like "I don't understand why people like it" and then get people who rush to its defense and all that stupidity.

the clockmaker said:
Annnnnnd this is why the rest of the military makes fun of the air force.
They can make fun all they want, people in the air force get paid more and pretty much everything available for them is much nicer.
Speaking from experience, they are kinda like the spoiled kids who, instead of going camping, put up a poster of a tree and then tell everyone how they are basically special forces.

Also, in my country, all three services get paid pretty much the same, its just in terms of treatment that the air force gets coddled.

EDIT,
actually, I'm gonna clarify this for non-green people. When I say we laugh at the air force, it is in good humour, just as we make fun of people in the navy for their adorable sailor outfits and the navy and the air force make fun of us for all being knuckle dragging idiots. We all work together, we all are on the same team and we are all professionals who happen to poke fun at each other with broad, in no way totally accurate stereotypes.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Xariat said:
I don't care much for ponies or bronies or whatever, I'm just wondering everything mlp related is still such a big deal. It's been like 3 years? you'd think the respective parties in the "debate" would have settled down by now. I mean every time mlp stuff get's posted both sides brings out the usual and old arguments; "it's a show for girls" "you're just to insecure to like it" "it's gay" "you just don't get it" and so on and so on. Are we not bored of this yet?
I agree. It's disappointing to see the same song and dance, every time one of these threads gets posted.

Would you believe that MLP was actually a banned topic at the last Escapist Expo?
No one was allowed to talk about it or even mention it, because it's such a shitstorm-inducing topic here.

Lord knows how people discussing this would react if they had physical access to each other. They'd be at each other's throats, quite literally.
It was a banned topic? Really? There is so much vitriol over a children's television show that a convention had to ban talking about it, actually put that down in the rules, because there was a chance fights might break out over it?

Well, my opinion of humanity just fell another tier right there. I was in a good mood too, but now I'm actually kinda depressed. I mean, I'll admit I liked the show around it's hayday (stopped watching once Lauren Faust was no longer working on it), but it certainly wasn't anything so groundbreaking as to cause this much hate.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
They have infiltrated The air force. now we are doomed to be slaves to those talking horses.

ANd yes, i dont like the show. Now i dont care what you consider manly or not manly, i think the show is plainly boring. But i guess its a fashion statement now.

Ferisar said:
synobal said:
Why do grown men live this stuff, can anyone explain?
Why do grown men like anything, it's a mystery.
why are men "grown" instead of say, grow up naturally.....
its a mistery, time for scooby doo.... wait... wrong show....

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
That's simultaneously cool, weird and seemingly pointless. But hey, doesn't that characterize everything about everything?

ArithianFlame

Jun 11, 2013
XandNobody said:
TopazFusion said:
Xariat said:

It was a banned topic? Really? There is so much vitriol over a children's television show that a convention had to ban talking about it, actually put that down in the rules, because there was a chance fights might break out over it?

Well, my opinion of humanity just fell another tier right there. I was in a good mood too, but now I'm actually kinda depressed. I mean, I'll admit I liked the show around it's hayday (stopped watching once Lauren Faust was no longer working on it), but it certainly wasn't anything so groundbreaking as to cause this much hate.
Apparently it is. Nothing amuses me more than seeing what could be intelligent conversation on the subject descend into another collection of bad arguments and reaction images from both sides. The arguments are worn, yet everyone feels the need to keep beating the horse. And really, it all comes down to one group liking something the other doesn't.

The one and only concession I will give is that there is definitely a selection of fans that post crap over every forum. Even as a fan, it annoys me to no end. But the creativity they display when "converting" other popular cultural icons, I find very amusing in a good way. But hell, the "Friendship is magic, magic is Heresy" pic further up was the funniest thing I came across today, and made my day.

That pilots in the Air Force have embraced it, is nothing to get worked up about. They even stated that it was done ironically. As long as they continue fighting for our country, I don't give a damn what patch they wear, or if it was only chosen to get a laugh.

MoeMints

Apr 30, 2013
For me, its more the mob mentality that only non-FiM fans dislike bronies as a sub-subculture, just like I didn't like being called a Narutard (though don't even like it anymore), Trekkie, Weeaboo/Otaku...which I actually was once..., and well never look at the abyss of Sonic fandom past the games.

Being part of a fanbase is a fun thing, but in general is nothing special, so I don't get why MLP lovers and "haters" make it a deal. To me at least, that's a good reason why people dislike hearing ever-positive news about it, because it got so over-saturated to the point of denial of anything bad happening in it.
I wouldn't see the problem if shenanigans like:
- People losing themselves over a bad light in a convention as a genuine attack
- Derpy Hooves having a name that doesn't in combination with her lazy eye implies that she's retarded being a BAD thing
- Alicorn drama
Got brought up too as self-deprecating humor without outing those specific fans.

On that note, seriously, I'm starting to think people truly unironically say you're jealous for not liking ponies. That and people saying MLP's faults could go with Avatar and Gravity Falls? Man...

Speaking of military doing references.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Care to show me an example of my hostility? I've been doing nothing but helping solve these problems.
K:

*stupid overused image*

I would say you need to learn to grow up past pull-ups, but I doubt you'll be around to take it.
For instance, check out the 6-year old with the Warhammer pics.
*lolmoreimages*
I think you lack maturity. Ironic for someone railing against something they deem immature...
I don't care what you think of the guy's opinion, "lol grow up kid" down there with "u mad" and "your mom" as something that is pointless to a conversation.

Ascend

Mar 14, 2012
MoeMints said:
On that note, seriously, I'm starting to think people truly unironically say you're jealous for not liking ponies. That and people saying MLP's faults could go with Avatar and Gravity Falls? Man...
This,I am fine with you liking what you like,but acting like everyone should is wrong.And people hating the show probably should chill too,seriously these are pretty aggressive.

OT:
If this paves the way for an actual public security section 9 I'm down.