US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
The ride never ends! Guaranteed replies! People arguing over other people's tastes and opinions!

But on topic: ok, I guess. I don't really understand the significance of the logo, back in the federal army, all we had to identify our group was a number. At least they don't seem to base their squad entirely on hate or something.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Boris Goodenough said:
the clockmaker said:
Annnnnnd this is why the rest of the military makes fun of the air force.
I thought the Puddle Pirate Yatch Club (Coast Guard) was the one that was made the most fun of?
Hey, don't make fun of the Coast Guard. Those Navy rejects are all right!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
What the hell are you people even arguing about anymore?! A show about PONIES of all things should not be eliciting this sort of a reaction from ANYONE, Brony, hater or anywhere inbetween.

OT: Was hoping for a squadron of actual Bronies calling themselves the Wonderbolts or something. I am disappoint

May 10, 2013
lacktheknack said:
I'm really hoping that someone stumbles in here and mewls "Can someone explain to me why this show is so popular? I don't get it."

Because I enjoy the idea of how thoroughly their minds must be blown right now.
Personally i don't get hype. Even though i watched and absolutely ADORE the .MOVS.
Way i see it is, i like Anime, so i shouldn't look down on you if Talking Ponies is your thing.
And if this doesn't affect our Airmen from doing their job, they're welcome to make Brats and Ed Edd N' Eddy patches. They're manlier than me, so i certainly won't talk shit.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I'm really hoping that someone stumbles in here and mewls "Can someone explain to me why this show is so popular? I don't get it."

Because I enjoy the idea of how thoroughly their minds must be blown right now.
Cant believe I forgot about this, its not a perfect explanation but it does give some understanding of why ponies are popular.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
kramer said:
Nice copypasta, dude. Also, what the hell?
Sounds like you have some serious issues with this show and those who watch it, because a man's enjoyment of a strange cartoon completely defines his character, amirite?
They're all "faggots" and "cloppers" and "filthy overweight cretins". Totally. 100% of them.
Take a chill pill. If some grown man's hobby is watching a TV show and *that* is what gets you riled up, that's really fucked up and you should probably seek therapeutic help...

OT: This is awesome. Even non-bronies are learning to appreciate the merits the show has, like comraderie and teamwork.

superpandasauras

Mar 9, 2012
bibblles said:
Worgen said:
bibblles said:

I don't care about any argument made in favor of this bullshit. The ponies are an infectious plague, and will be dealt with as such.
Inquisitor Applejack frowns upon on your shenanigans.

No matter how much 40k stuff you post, I can counter it with cooler pony 40k stuff, its fun.
This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about, you infect something and force ponies on everything you find. It's why I don't go to conventions for fear of losing control and winding up in prison.
Yes, because the fact that someone ponified something, the next game in the series will star ponies and all previous games will be re-released as nothing but ponies. Oh wait, that won't fucking happen! What a shock! Also, I know you said something about anger management, but goddamn man "wind up in prison"? Calm the fuck down, it won't literally kill you/damage you in any way, no matter what you say about it being an "infectious disease". You're letting it affect you, seeing as it's not harming in any way.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
So it seems the ponies has almost moved on to an equivalent of the 'Your Mother Has Discovered Lolcats' stage of the cycle.

Only 10 more years of the fucking things then.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
You think the airforce would sell replicas of the patches, cos there's a few of them that look worth having. The Angry Birds one for a start :p

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
kramer said:
I watch MLP with my daughter, mostly cos the meme had begun and I thought it looked like the sort of thing an autistic 3 year old might like. And since I don't just dump her in front of the tv I sat and watched with her, sang along with the songs and hit repeat on her favourites.
I have watched the series not from the perspective of anything than an adult and I love it. Whether you enjoy the series cos you watch it with your kids or some clips on youtube or 4chan it doesn't matter.
It's a well written series that talks about being nice to people or believing in yourself or having fun or just being yourself and a little bit random.

The hate in your post hurt my soul.

I think of some little sister or niece or cousin or daughter out there who looks at the patch on a pilots arm and awakens a dream of flying fighter jets or maybe just achieving something they had never thought of before.
That possibilty outweighs whatever imaginary downside your overly long post might suggest.

It's your opinion though and you have the right to it, but please think about how you can better express it in the future.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
-Ezio- said:
Compatriot Block said:
I think some people just take issue with people defining themselves as "bronies" instead of MLP fans. Just like they might consider Avatar fans calling themselves Brorra's or something.
seems a bit of an odd complaint to me

Whovians
Trekkies
Browncoats
Potterheads
Sherlockians

it's not like it's the only fandom that does that.
The difference is those are all gender/age/demographic neutral classifications. Bronies specifically implies males, usually males too old to be considered children. Why not create a term that incompasses everyone that likes the show and call ourselves that instead.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
Genocidicles said:
waj9876 said:
If you don't like it, stay the fuck away from it. Seriously. It's that simple.
You're forgetting about when people post pictures and gifs of ponies in threads that have nothing to do with them, so it's nowhere as simple to avoid them as you make it out to be.

I've seen this posted on the escapist more than any pony gif. I guess I'm welcome to tell firefly fans to sod off whenever appropriate.
Is that a Firefly GIF? It's kinda hard to tell. I guess if you just have a general distaste for Nathan Fillian this might annoy you, but the number of Nathan Fillian gifs I've seen pales in comparison to how many Pony gifs used to fly around internet forums. Thankful it's died down quite a bit.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
OlasDAlmighty said:
the number of Nathan Fillian gifs I've seen pales in comparison to how many Pony gifs used to fly around internet forums. Thankful it's died down quite a bit.
Exactly, "used to fly around".

However, a lot of people in this thread seem to be claiming that "pony pics and gifs are being constantly posted in threads that are nothing to do with ponies", and also that ponies are "being shoved down their throats all the time".

I've asked these people to provide evidence of these claims. But each and every one of them has failed to provide this evidence.

Funny that.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
skywolfblue said:
No Rainbow Dash and sonic rainboom? /gasp

Sad to hear that the pilots aren't really big pony fans, but they have the good humor to enjoy it at least. :)

Worgen said:
Inquisitor Applejack frowns upon on your shenanigans.

No matter how much 40k stuff you post, I can counter it with cooler pony 40k stuff, its fun.
This image wins the thread! Proving that once again, everything is better with ponies.

Sorry to chime in, I don't really want to get involved, but this image just reminded me of something fun:

On Topic:
Who am I to argue with someone who can make me go "booom" after passing me faster than the speed of sound, leaving me in a fiery explosion with thunder filling the sky?
If they want to wear pony-batches, by all means, it's their right to do so.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Desert Punk said:
When the person you're mocking is literally capable of strafing your house at the speed of a Wonderbolt, your only options are to either shut up, or compliment their pretty pink patch.
HA, love it.

So long as they can kill people efficiently and professionally, I don't personally care what kind of patches they wear.

Genocidicles said:
Well at least it's not in the RAF, so I still have some respect for the pilots protecting my country.
Well, where does all that respect go when the people wearing the "pretty pink patches" outperforms your patchless flyboys? :p
To the people who designed the plane that could make up in the difference of raw skill between your pilots and our superior pilots, naturally. :p

Kai Kuhl

Nov 13, 2012
So, people, I have to make a praise for the Brony community now.
At first I found Bronys questionable. Every fandom seems suspicious to me, because I have the feeling they praise things just more than they deserve. But then I thought about it and realised that it is quite comforting that guys in their twentys can like things that are made for little girls. Its a sign that gender roles arent that solid many people tend to think. I mean, I am against that whole geneder mainstreaming (smells like fanaticism for me), but how it is now in our societies seems so much like that indian caste system. If you are a man, you have to like big action movies, if you are a woman, romantic comedies, and all that crap. And the Bronys are a refreshing exception from that.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
-Ezio- said:
Compatriot Block said:
I think some people just take issue with people defining themselves as "bronies" instead of MLP fans. Just like they might consider Avatar fans calling themselves Brorra's or something.
seems a bit of an odd complaint to me

Whovians
Trekkies
Browncoats
Potterheads
Sherlockians

it's not like it's the only fandom that does that.
The difference is those are all gender/age/demographic neutral classifications. Bronies specifically implies males, usually males too old to be considered children. Why not create a term that incompasses everyone that likes the show and call ourselves that instead.
every pony fan i've talked to male and female regardless of age has referred to themselves as a brony. it does encompass everyone if they want it to.

Pipeline

May 5, 2013
These guys missed a great opportunity here.
Paint their jets blue, add Rainbow Dash's cutie mark, have a rainbow exhaust and then the United States Air Force would officially be 20% cooler.

In fact, I would buy a jet like that. Whatever the cost.
First I need to become a millionaire... easier said than done.

Pipeline

May 5, 2013
TheEvilGenius said:
Pipeline said:
-what I said-
Uh... no. Just. No. First; the Navy and Marine Corps already have the blue jets (Blue Angels). Second; you can't really change the color of a jet's exhaust. You can only add colored smoke to the rear of the plane. That would be a terrible idea because a fighter would be a lot easier to spot in a dogfight, so the pilot would probably get shot down and/or killed. Third; that would be gay.
On your first point: Okay, another division of the armed forces uses a blue colour. So what? I was saying what I said jokingly anyway.
On your second,I did not mean to say exhaust. I meant to say some kind of smoke trail. Like how, here in Britain, we have an air-show that includes jets called 'The Red Arrows' which have different coloured smoke trails. And yes, they would be noticeable, but I'm thinking they could use it for showing off.
On your third point: Wow, seriously?