Valve Confirms DotA 2 for 2011

Sheamus

Mar 28, 2009
Dota 2 = league of legends, go play it, valve might make a better dota game, but I'd rather get episode 3 first.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Sheamus said:
Dota 2 = league of legends, go play it, valve might make a better dota game, but I'd rather get episode 3 first.
Dota 2 = HoN
LoL = ...well, lol. Something else.

While I'm in the crowd that would much prefer even a screenshot of Episode 3 to this, it does have my interest.

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
The Bum said:
anthraxalfa said:
Tom Goldman said:
Overall, it looks like Valve is putting together another huge game that has its origins in the modding community.
Okay, I guess I'll have to be the one that asks the question. What do they mean by "another" ? What other game have they made that started as a mod?

Day of defeat source and i think even counter strike source.
Team Fortress, Portal...

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Koganesaga said:
Gotta say, hate this idea. DotA was like the Halo of the WC3 universe, it drew in all the loud mouthed 10 year olds that think they're gods gift to the fucking world because they managed a combo item in 15 min or some stupid shit like that. Don't get me wrong, the game itself was kinda fun, but for what you had to put up with, it just wasn't worth it (again, much like Halo).
Now, go back in time to Counter Strike. If anything, the culture of loud mouthed 10-year-olds started before Halo did, and on a Valve platformed game. CS was *also* just a mod.

I think the real shocker here is that blizzard didn't do this first.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I do hope they use the Heroes of Newerth buy screen though. HoN's buy screen is so much simpler than DotA's.

I wonder if S2 will let Icefrog put a few of their heroes in DotA 2 though. I do want Electrician and/or Gauntlet.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
well hopefully its fun and a bit noob friendly, the first one was god awfulllll at that and the community was full of super troll dickheads, but i might give it a try depending on cash flow when it comes out.
Same here. I could never get int o DotA in WC3 because if you didn't have the newest version of it, no one would let you play.

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
So... HoN and LoL has an engine crafted for the game itself, while Dota 2 will be using an allready existing engine that has been used for FPS games in the past.

Say what?!

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
anthraxalfa said:
Tom Goldman said:
Overall, it looks like Valve is putting together another huge game that has its origins in the modding community.
Okay, I guess I'll have to be the one that asks the question. What do they mean by "another" ? What other game have they made that started as a mod?
Team fortress, counter-strike. Both mods from half-life.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I might care if I actually knew what it was about. If it's a fantasy game, don't mention it in my presence. If you like fantasy, Go ahead, but I personally hate it. I hate elves, dwarves, wizzards, dragons, mages, knights, goblins, trolls (literally and metaphorically), elemental powers, and castles. It's just really not in my tastes. If it's just a game that's not really a genre, more just fiction, maybe I'll care. But really, meh. I don't care.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Looks cool. Never heard of it, but I love RTS's and Valve, so....

Choppaduel said:
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I need my fps's!!!

anything, even an original one

cmon valve
....Dammit. Now I have to change my Avatar.

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
Meh, DotA got old and now they are just gonna remake it and sell it as a full game with more heros and a graphical update, but why will anyone pay for it.... There is LoL if u want a AoS game or HoN for those who want a copy of DotA minus the warcraft 3 part. so we have the Normal WC3 AoS map called DotA, HoN a copy of that DotA map and LoL a AoS game inspired by DotA.....
why do we need a remake of the first?

God dam valve dont waste your time just trying to jump on this train and spend your money makein a game people will actualy want on steam

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Oh stop whining about Episode 3 already, it'll come when it comes.

Seriously, they're trying new things out because they can, deal with it.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
and Valve followed it up with a DotA trademark filing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102727-Valve-Files-Trademark-for-DotA] two months ago
I thought that trademark was being disputed [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/17/riot-games-dev-counter-files-dota-trademark/]. Or did that get resolved and nobody told me?

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Valve branching out to a new genre? It should be an interesting thing to see even if they are just working with already existing material.

Too bad I?m not really interested in RTS?so this isn't one for me but oh well.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
No episode 3 then, never even heard of DOTA until valve bought it or whatever.
You must have never heard of Warcraft 3 or something then, its pretty big. Can't say I enjoy it though, takes time to learn competetively and nearly everyone seems to be a huge throbbing penis.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
So should I play it first or just start crying now and get it over with?

Seriously, people always say that XBL has a problem with flaming, but DotA is fucking incredible when it comes to mistreating new/bad players.