Valve Fans Form Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott Group

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
If not for the fact you walk the bleeding edge on defending Sony to the death on a consistent basis (albeit more sanely than most), I'd be more inclined to believe you.
Eh, fair enough I suppose, but I never expect Sony games to be the reincarnation of Jesus. Sure, I may get excited for them, but even God of War 3 could not be as great as promised.

Honestly, I think a part of this is nostalgia, and I'd get into that if I had the time.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Meado said:
Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered. True
Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release. Probably not true, but I can see why they would think that
The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games. Kinda true
The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes. They might have a point
The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far. Patience, morons
L4D2 is too colourful to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic. We've seen two levels. Shut up and die
The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome. Agreed. Oh god, do I agree.
L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before. Again, they might have a point
The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release. Oh please. This will do dick to Valve's rep

I can see where they're coming from, but they're over reacting.
I too felt somewhat disappointed in Valve because I truly expected more from their post-release updates/patches and such. See TF2 for example.

I also agree not all points mentioned by the community are valid, but I agree with their general feeling. Why should I have to pay another R$50 for something that could've have been implemented in the first game (via DLC)?

I'm not against the changes that come with L4D2, I just think Valve's action seemed a bit contradictory with their reputation, not to mention the fanbase will probably be divided between L4D1 and L4D2. See http://www.videogamer.com/news/valve_details_post_left_4_dead_launch_plans.html for example.

Besides, as a modder, the L4D1 SDK is still in beta. I wonder if it'll reach its final version before L4D2 comes out, and worst...it probably won't be the same version (just like HL2, HL2-EP.1, and HL2-EP.2 all have different versions).

TheLostSkeleton

Aug 27, 2007
I think Left4Dead 2 is dumb. I don't know when it became acceptable to announce a sequel only seven months after the original hits retail (or, for that matter, have the sequel on store shelves just four days shy of the original's one year anniversary).

I'm sorry, but expecting me to pay full price for a sequel this soon isn't going to happen. Left4Dead is not Madden. I don't want it to be Madden. Valve has to be out of their mind; this is completely uncharacteristic of everything the company has said regarding their strategy for Team Fortress 2 (a strategy they said they would embrace with regards to Left4Dead).

I don't care what's in the sequel; the very notion that they're pumping another one out this quickly at full price means, flat out, "No Sale". I'm not going to be taken advantage of.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I thought they'd be boycotting it because Valve has yet to even announce HL2:E3. It does piss me off that they're releasing a sequel so soon after the first game when the first game was lacking in content.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
Left 4 Dead was a test anyway, still I expected a trailer for Half Life 2 Episode 3, :p I'm still happy with Left 4 Dead 2.

Shrubery

Apr 2, 2009
i have to agree with :
The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far

L4D2 is too colourful to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic

but that is no good reason to boycott it .

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Shrubery said:
i have to agree with :

So you don't mind buying two games in order to get the content that should've been included in the price of the first game, ok, nothing to boycott then.

Captain Urahara

Dec 22, 2008
I love how they complain that L4D1 didn't get game updates. They didn't even stop to think about us Orange Box TF2 players on the 360. We were promised to get game updates about 2 years ago, and have't even seen one.

I for one will not get L4D2. Not because of the music/sun being out/etc. but because I played L4D1 and I hated it. L4D2 looks to be the same.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
Oh, boo-hoo. Why does everyone but so much thought into looks? OH NOES IT DIFFERENT LOOKING TO THE PREVIOUS GAMES MY BRAIN CAN'T TAKE THAT. You know what else looked different to its predecessors? Metal Gear Solid 4. Yeah, looks aren't everything.

What is their problem, seriously? They wanted new content, they get a fucking BRAND NEW GAME. If Valve had patched L4D1 to include the new maps campaigns for L4D2 then they'd probably be praising Valve for their love. So what if its in the guise of a whole new game? It's not a huge problem. Hell, its not a problem!

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
AHAHAHAHAHA HOLY COW IM LAUGHIN' MY BUTT OFF, AHHHHAHAHAHAHA. YOU SICK RETARD MONKEYS YOU....AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHALOLOLOLOLOLOL this is too hilarious.you all suck l4d1 was awesome,l4d2 is gunna be awesome,gray boring shooters arent awesome,bright vibrent shooters are. AHHHHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Abedeus said:
The_Oracle said:
Let me get this straight.

Valve, albeit against their usual plans, decides to release a sequel to an extremely popular and beloved zombie game earlier than usual, with tons of new content, new enemies, new Survivors, new weapons, and a re-vamped Director engine, and these people are boycotting it because....it's too early? Valve wants to make money? These people are L4D hardcore fanboys? It's not really clear, but what IS clear is how utterly moronic this boycott group is.

As an example of GOOD boycotting, in order to show these people what the word really means, you know what? I'M BOYCOTTING THIS GROUP. Left 4 Dead 2 is looking awesome so far, if you don't mind me saying so, and if you hate Valve for releasing a highly anticipated sequel EARLY, well then, that's your own problem.

And that's the Word.
Because I bought the game 2-3 weeks ago for 30 euro. That's a lot for a 16-year old.

All we want is some sort of... decency. I don't know, 50% less for L4D2 if you have a L4D1, maybe access to preview weekends/beta tests...

But not a dick move like this. "Oh, you paid $50 for a multiplayer game that was supposed to last 2-3 years? Well boo-hoo, you will have to pay $50 again in a year, because your old game will no longer be supported. And we can't promise we won't do this with L4D3, L4D4..."
Maybe Valve intends to provide some sort of compensation for those that already have L4D1. We don't know all of their plans yet, only that L4D2 was announced and it is coming in November. I think we should withhold complete judgement until the game comes out.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
I don't mind Left 4 Dead 2 coming out as much as I mind the fact that the longer they talk about it, the more apparent it becomes that we were all beta testers for an unfinished game!

Saying that, the only way I'm buying this is if they provide all L4D1 owners with a discount.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Idiots. Actual idiots.
Most of that manifesto is either a) untrue or b) negative bullshit.

If they dont like it, THEN DONT BLOODY PLAY IT.

EDIT: Do they not realise that L4D1 was just a test, that valve weren't particularly pleased with?

Screw them, i'll be enjoying the sequel while they moan.

/rant
They're a loose association of ungrateful fuckers. They'll complain about this but they'd be more than happy to play Valves other games.
Also I don't see how they can start a boycott group for something roughly 6 months before it's even available.

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
This is a no brainer, it's purely a business move. It sucks but that's life. L4D2 is coming out before any significant DLC for L4D1. As for the other visual i.e. daytime, get over it. And if you don't like the audio or the characters then don't buy the game.

Astin

Mar 15, 2009
I think it looks good, the only annying thing is that it's another £40 im gotta spend quite soon. i restate: The trailer looks really good.

shial

Jan 5, 2009
Why are people complaining? even if the game is a full $50 its is quite worth it. I have several HUNDRED hours into this game (Even with a job for several months I was doing 20+ hours a week). Movies at the theater would have to be like 25 cents a pop to even come close to the value I have gotten out of a single purchase. I'll buy L4D2 happily and proceed to get my money's worth out of it as well.

That said the music HAS to go and I'm in a wait and see on the character design. I would love it if they let you play as the characters from the first as well.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
FoxParadox said:
Wow, why aren't they gathering to complain about half life 2: episode 3? Getting mad for a game coming out too soon rather than one not coming soon enough?
My friend told me about Valve having a system where they work on what game they want (if it's true). As soon as I heard that, I shouted "THE FUCK?!?!?!" over MSN, "Where the fuck is Half-life 2: Episode 3?!".

EDIT: I'm not against the game, even though I found L4D1 disappointing, the new additions look quite good. I just want Half-Life 2: Episode 3 more.

Shrubery

Apr 2, 2009
dochmbi said:
Shrubery said:
i have to agree with :

So you don't mind buying two games in order to get the content that should've been included in the price of the first game, ok, nothing to boycott then.
no i do mind but no one is forcing us to do so .