Veganism...why?

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
10-year vegetarian here, occasional vegan when it's convenient (I travel frequently enough that frankly, I need to consider nutritional needs where I can't get tofu that isn't smothered in soy sauce).

Here's my deal: I gave up meat because I'm a compulsive eater, because of the bad habits my family raised me with. Yes, I can fix that and still eat meat. But when I went vegetarian, I lost a good 10 pounds, felt generally healthier (much healthier, might I add, than the freaks that were doing Atkins at the time), and my cholesterol went down (chronic family problems).

It didn't bother me that people didn't approve of my choice, but there were a bunch of people that immediately put up the defense that I would TRY to convert them even if I was never going to (I'm not one to preach). I don't care, I don't think a lot of people would end up being healthy vegetarians if they were suddenly forced to anyway.

Yes, there are the smug among us. Duh. There are smug ones among the other side, too. Just because they're the loudest, it doesn't mean they represent the lot of us, and I'm offended at the representation. You never hear from us because we know that we should leave you the hell alone.

Though, the characterization that a lot of guys go vegetarian to impress a chick? Yeah, I've had guys at bars tell me they've 'thought' about being a vegetarian or 'are' vegetarian. Because that's a great pick-up line that we really believe. Sure.

Just sayin'. Not all of us are lunatics. Not all of us are smug. But not all of us feel we should eat meat for whatever reason anyway.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Unless vegans are growing their own food, on their own land, with no pesticides, they're hypocrites.
There's a whole bunch of animal product in computers, so I don't think any hardcore vegan is ever going to be able to read any post on this site.

Why do people become Vegans? People like to claim they do avoid animal product because it feels good to maintain a high discipline lifestyle (most elite athletes don't let themselves go if they have to stop playing their sport, they keep training and eating right), despite what some of the less aware partial animal boycotters may claim, the decision to use animal products (much like every other decision) is mostly about 'what makes me feel better about myself' and less about 'how can I make the world a better place' [footnote]There are plenty of other ways to utilize the energy and motivation people invest in this kind of thing into useful projects that could actually do something productive.[/footnote].

The most common justification is that animals should have the same rights as humans, that we 'enslave' them. Even though I consider myself far too aware of how the world works I do agree with the basic concept. Humans are animals. Animals eat each other, a snake doesn't avoid eating eggs because the chicken is an 'equal' form of life, it eats the damn eggs because they provide sustenance. As Homo Sapiens are on top of the food chain, we eat other animals and we utilize their produce. This is naturally how we function, it is this basic acceptance that allows our civilizations to function. Countless animals are killed by the ripping out of natural vegetation to create farms and cities. Transport (trains, cars, planes) kill countless small creatures. Pets live entire lives happily 'in bondage' to their human masters.

ArcaneFyre

Mar 11, 2010
Hello, vegan person here.

These threads are just painful to read. I have been vegan for nearly a year now, and hardly anybody in this thread has given an accurate description of what it is like to be vegan or people's reasons for doing so. Rather than respond to all of this drivel at once, let me just give you a few points:

-I became vegan because I do not like the practices and policies of the meat and dairy industries. Both use cruel and tortuous methods of containing, slaughtering and breeding their animals simply to cut costs and make more money. I don't think that's right, and I don't want my hard earned money to support an industry I don't believe in.
-PETA is fucking stupid. Assuming that all vegans are PETA followers is just ridiculous. EVERY vegan that I know personally thinks the same way, they give vegetarians and vegans a bad name. Their ads are often sexist, they protest the stupidest things and actually put down more sheltered animals than they claim to save. Fuck 'em.
-I am aware that animals are unavoidably harmed/killed in the making of most food. Is there really anything I can do about it? I live in an urban area and can't afford to grow my own food. But that's still no reason to shovel meat into my mouth, and so I choose not to. Again, my money is not going to people that I do not agree with.
-Any claim you can make about animals being a part of the food chain and therefore natural to eat means nothing to me. Biologically, humans are herbivores, that's how our bodies work. We are omnivores through societal tradition, and there's nothing really wrong with that. People can eat what they want, I don't judge.

The fact that meat eaters often seem almost threatened by people who choose not to eat the flesh of other creatures is a constant amusement to me. I'm not a hippie, I'm not trying to convert anybody, and I'm not an idiot. I just don't want anything to needlessly suffer for me to eat breakfast. Is that so wrong?

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Besides all the usual, obvious reasons for disliking veganism, I also hate it because it seems to imply that eating animals/using animals is wrong - And what's worse, as if it's one of the bigger problems with mankind. We have MUCH bigger issues to deal with.

ArcaneFyre said:
Again, my money is not going to people that I do not agree with.

Biologically, humans are herbivores, that's how our bodies work.
Both incorrect.

C.O.C

Aug 5, 2009
I've a veganistic buddy who checks the packets on sweets in case they contain gelatin which means I get a whole load of free sweeties god bless vegans!!!!

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Ledan said:
If there is no difference between humans and animals, then why should we act differently from other omnivores and not eat meat?
We are "cursed," so to speak, with the knowledge of good and evil. Like it or not, we have the ability to see what is right and what is wrong and as much as it might suck sometimes, we have the great responsibility of acting on that. Humans and animals are like adults and babies - we all have different levels of understanding regarding right and wrong, but we're responsible for what we do know definitely. A tiger doesn't know in any concrete sense the suffering of a gazelle, but like it or not, a human being knows the suffering of a cow being led to slaughter.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
peruvianskys said:
Ledan said:
If there is no difference between humans and animals, then why should we act differently from other omnivores and not eat meat?
We are "cursed," so to speak, with the knowledge of good and evil. Like it or not, we have the ability to see what is right and what is wrong and as much as it might suck sometimes, we have the great responsibility of acting on that. Humans and animals are like adults and babies - we all have different levels of understanding regarding right and wrong, but we're responsible for what we do know definitely. A tiger doesn't know in any concrete sense the suffering of a gazelle, but like it or not, a human being knows the suffering of a cow being led to slaughter.
One could also make the argument that the rules of right and wrong only apply to humans, as well as the fact our self awareness is what separates us from animals and they live to serve us.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

As for why they do it.

No idea.
I think it's like a boycott of EA. They don't want any part of it.

EA, the cause of veganism.
you hit the nail right on the head. im a vegetarian because i dont support factory farming. do i think im going to shut down factory farming by not eating meat? of course not. but at the same time, i dont want to support something that i find morally wrong

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
C.O.C said:
I've a veganistic buddy who checks the packets on sweets in case they contain gelatin which means I get a whole load of free sweeties god bless vegans!!!!
*sigh* i miss being able to eat any candy i wanted. i loved gummy things but so many of them contain geletin

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
My ancestors worked their asses off to get to the top of the food chain. You think I'd insult them by refusing meat HA. MEAT IS FOR KINGS!!!!!

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
ArcaneFyre said:
We are omnivores through societal tradition, and there's nothing really wrong with that. People can eat what they want, I don't judge.
Not true. Presence of canines in our mouths and the actual ability to digest meat proves otherwise. We're omni naturally.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
I can't wait until this annoying argument dies out. SCIENCE!! has already grown delicious meat from stem cells. Now they just need to make it cheap.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting me a bacon tree as soon as it becomes available.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Eamar said:
Yeah, I guess that's probably it. Also, sugar is vegan and we all know how disastrous that is in terms of calories :p

Actually, now that you mention it I lost weight when I stopped being vegetarian. Even when I was actively trying to avoid over-reliance on pasta, bread etc and aiming for a balanced diet I fell short. I can only imagine the sheer amount of time and effort it must take a full-blown vegan to stay balanced :S
Fat storage in general is largely triggered by insulin, which is itself released in response to increased blood glucose. Carbs in general are the only thing that really effects blood glucose with things like wheat and sugar being worse than vegetables and some varieties of fruit. So I'd imaging that someone who's very sensitive to fluctuations in blood sugar and readily stores fat as a result may have trouble on a vegan diet since it's pretty much all carbs and what protein you can get from soy, beans and nuts, and fats from similar sources. There's also the fact that most carb sources aren't as good at leaving one feeling satiated as protein and fat, particularly from animal sources. Even worse, the inevitable blood sugar crashes after eating a lot of sugar or wheat can stimulate hunger making you eat even more.

So I'm not really surprised that even on a Vegan diet some people will gain weight, only to lose it when they start to reintroduce meat and other animal products. As long as that stuff is of fairly good quality it's going to leave someone feeling full longer, and there will be less over eating of carbs and fewer blood sugar spikes and insulin production as a result.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
Rowan93 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Unless vegans are growing their own food, on their own land, with no pesticides, they're hypocrites.

Countless animals are killed during the farming of grain and other plants.

As for why they do it.

No idea.

I understand vegetarianism to a degree, but not veganism.
So, what, just because any way of producing food kills animals, it's hypocritical to try and kill less of them? And what about all of the people that can't afford to buy their own land and grow their own food? (which basically does mean all of the people)

I imagine everything that applies for vegetarianism applies more so for veganism. More efficient use of land, less animal suffering, etc.
Not quite how it works. Veganism causes the exact same amount of animal suffering. in fact it would cause more since chickens, most breeds of turkeys and dairy cows would go extinct if we stopped keeping them around. Would also put Millions of people out of work.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
peruvianskys said:
Ledan said:
it would be irrelevant to the tiger if it was capable of knowing if the gazelle is suffering because a tiger NEEDS TO EAT MEAT, so if it was wracked with guilt over the gazelle it ate and decided not to eat any more it would be dead in no time. in addition the cow doesnt know its being led to slaughter, and in many cases the animals themselves arent suffering throughout their life on the farm. Yes i admit that battery farms are shitty, but other farms treat the animals alot better.

also the you're whole concept of right and wrong doesn't sit well with me. right and wrong are merely words in which the actions and behaviors that fall under them can and are subject to change over time and geography so you cant really just declare that eating an animal is objectively "wrong". to you maybe fine, but not to others.

MORE OT: personally i eat meat. i think its just natural for a human to eat meat, but i dont really care if someone makes the decision not to eat it because its their choice.

ArcaneFyre

Mar 11, 2010
Our canines are dull, pathetic examples of teeth used for shredding meat. Look at any other carnivore/omnivore, theirs are much sharper and more pointed. And herbivores' jaws move side to side like ours, animals meant to eat meat have vertically moving jaws. And shorter intestines. And digestive systems that can properly handle animal protein and trans fatty acids without depleting the calcium from their bones.

Honestly, what is with all the animosity here? It sickens me to see people who are deluded enough to think that MY diet is some sort of personal attack on them. It's getting extremely irritating.

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
Its a pointless and perpetuated myth that it is a healthier lifestyle, ignoring the fact that Humans are omnivores and have for most of their existence lived off of a diet rich in meat and fat, and most foods found in organic health food stores are impossible to obtain through non-chemical means.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
I remember a seeing a comedian on TV who said some thing like this "You do it because you love cows and pigs more than the immigrants who pick your vegetables."

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Because they're crazy, animals eat animals and humans are animals.

My friends friend is a vegan and the twig of a girl confused me by trying to recreate non-vegan food items with vegan items catching her saying "oh wow it tastes just like eggs!"

So just eat a bloody egg, this is just making it difficult for yourself.

I've also had vegans smack food out of my hands in school because I was "rudely sitting toward their table" and eating a hamburger.
Not saying vegans are crazy or jerks, but I haven't had a favorable encounter with them.