Warhammer 40k MMOG Prepped For E3 Reveal

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
This is VERY interesting.

However, if it's anything like the fantasy Warhammer MMO, then it can shove it. I did the free trial of that and it sucks...

Saerain

Mar 24, 2009
Slycne said:
Saerain said:
I can't figure out how StarCraft is less ridiculous than Warhammer 40,000. Maybe if you're only comparing the humans, I suppose, but they're still both 'futuristic' fantasy, Rule of Cool settings riddled with 'psychic energy' and conspicuously low-tech humans who emphasize the worst aspects of humanity.

In my mind, at least Warhammer 40K acknowledges its fantasy nature enough to have a cosmology. StarCraft is still in denial.
The Emperor of Mankind is the leader of the Imperium of Man, and is described by the Imperial Ecclesiarchy as the Father, Guardian and God of humanity. He has sat immobile within the Golden Throne of Terra for over ten thousand years. Although once a living man, his shattered body can no longer support life, and remains intact by a mind itself sustained by the daily sacrifice of thousands of lives. He has sacrificed his immortal life in the service of Man.
Ridiculously awesome and over the top, but ridiculous none the less.
See also: North Korea. Their god and Head of State is Kim Jong-il's dead dad.

Anyway, you'll notice I never argued its ridiculousness (for me, it's claiming to be science-fiction that makes it ridiculous), I just can't figure out how StarCraft is definitively less so. Bah.

Zero-Vash

Apr 1, 2009
I would definitely give a 40k MMO a shot. Love the DoW series and the table top game.

I am torn between who to play though... Love the ork "lore" but play as necrons...

Decisions, decisions...

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
I would definitely play this. While I'm a big fan of the Eredar, I'd likely wind up playing for either the Tau or the Tyranids.

More likely the Tau.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
As long as I can play as my beloved Black Templars I will most definitely get his

Smite now the scions of the witch
Grant us the strength to pierce their unclean flesh
To cover their fields with the pale forms of their blasphemous dead
To drown the thunder of guns with the shrieks of their dying
To lay waste to their citadels with hurricanes of fire
To wring the hearts of their kin with unavailing grief
To send them into the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger, broken in spirit, worn with travail and begging for the refuge of the grave
We ask it in the spirit of wrath
O Master of Mankind

ahem, i wonder where that came from XD

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
This, space marine likely being at e3 and the new movies t'is a rather good year for 40k.

i'd definitely play this hopefully you can progress through the different specializations for the races such as the top levels of space marines being the vanguard veterans and sterngaurd veterans and so on.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
If I can be witch- or demon hunter (grey knight or sororitas), count me in.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Next thing you know, it will probably be titled a console exclusive. Just like that bullshit surrounding the space marine game not being on PC.

The PR guy for Space Marine is an idiot anyway.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Saerain said:
I can't figure out how StarCraft is less ridiculous than Warhammer 40,000. Maybe if you're only comparing the humans, I suppose, but they're still both 'futuristic' fantasy, Rule of Cool settings riddled with 'psychic energy' and conspicuously low-tech humans who emphasize the worst aspects of humanity.

In my mind, at least Warhammer 40K acknowledges its fantasy nature enough to have a cosmology. StarCraft is still in denial.
What, the giant cathedral ships, the marines with eighty hearts and two hundred intestines who live five hundred years and fight everything don't count as ridiculous?

SC is set in a relatively small sector of space, which I personally prefer. 40k is "and everyone fought everywhere forever."

May 28, 2009
I would get it striaght away if it doesnt have a subsription fee.

If it does then I will just play the trial and see where it goes.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I just want my character to shout "SPACE MARINES!" or "FOR THE EMPEROR!" every time I click anything. I actually really want to play this...

May 28, 2009
John Funk said:
Saerain said:

What, the giant cathedral ships, the marines with eighty hearts and two hundred intestines who live five hundred years and fight everything don't count as ridiculous?

SC is set in a relatively small sector of space, which I personally prefer. 40k is "and everyone fought everywhere forever."
Warhammer is just about fighting on a huge scale, infact the clue is in the name (War - hammer), I personally think that there isn't a big difference between 40k and starcraft. They are both so similar.

Korhal

Jun 9, 2008
John Funk said:

Oh it is ridiculous. But it's still a blast, and I'd play it in a heartbeat. I vote for subscription fees as they tend to at least minimally deter the kiddies and the scrubs, and I view it as my way to tip the developers and to help them fund more content for me to enjoy. I also vote against a 2 faction system, but we'll see what they come up with (though I wouldn't mind them co-opting something similar to Fallen Earth's faction wheel).

Yes, SC is on a smaller scale, but Warhammer's scale is part of the allure for me. I like to think of Warhammer 40k as a setting somewhat akin to Forgotten Realms in space... there's a little bit of everything for everyone, and it's all about finding the part that speaks to you. But then again, I don't think less of anyone who doesn't bother, because most Warhammer fans are anything but inviting, and Games Workshop's expensive-ass minis and books, and draconian tournament rules (must play as modeled? Really? Because these damn things weren't expensive enough as is) do not help that at all.

*points to my username* Obviously, I love me some Starcraft. But I also love me some Warhammer. Fanboys and anti-fanboys of each may resume squabbling as if there isn't enough room for both in the world.

Master_Corruptor

Jan 14, 2009
An absolute yes to the concept. But i fear that they will make a copy of WoW and the battle systems there (a system i utterly hate beyond belief).

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
John Funk said:

Duh.. dont ya know? In the grim dark future...there is only WAR.
Also as far as speca marines go, they are your buffed up genetical enhanced soldier with a few tons of armor strapped over their improved bodies. Sure it does look a little bit silly these days, but back in Rogue Trader times the armor was a bit more... armorish (very fantasy-like too).
Id agree tho Starcraft is less ridiculous, only because Starcraft is just tamed down version of WH40k with rainbows and happy ponies. Streamlined to appeal to masses after GW decided not to give Blizzard the licence for their franchise.

WH40K is meant to be grotesque in every sense. Its surreal and wacky, working as intended.

As for MMO itself. "Hope is the first step to dissapointement" as one of WH40K's quote goes, so ill wait and see. If i can play as imperial guard i most likely will give it a spin to see how much of the grotesque grimdarkness of warhammer setting they managed to capture.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
John Funk said:
Saerain said:

Two hearts, three lungs, solidified ribcage, venom sacs in the mouth, a sort of carapace over the skin that acts as armour and an interface for their suit, being able to absorb the memories from eating the brains of their enemies, and that's just the parts I can remember from the codex I read about ten years ago.

[Edit: I can't be the only person hoping for Cultist-chan]