Weird/Crazy stuff people have said to you/you've heard.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Try being a fan of electronic music (95% lyric-less) and trying to identify a song you vaguely remember by a melody alone. Do you have any idea how many songs I have knocking around in my head that I clearly recall and love, but will never hear again save for the infinitesimally small chance I'll ever hear it again or run into a person who's extremely knowledgeable of electronic music who can decipher sounds I make with my mouth?
That sounds like hell.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Try being a fan of electronic music (95% lyric-less) and trying to identify a song you vaguely remember by a melody alone. Do you have any idea how many songs I have knocking around in my head that I clearly recall and love, but will never hear again save for the infinitesimally small chance I'll ever hear it again or run into a person who's extremely knowledgeable of electronic music who can decipher sounds I make with my mouth?
Oh for fuck's sake yes! EDM is my primary style of music for probably the...well, at least the last 15 years, but it's always been something I've enjoyed. Luckily a lot of the dj's I listen to include lyrics with most of their songs, like Above and Beyond for example. But yeah that's a huge problem. Especially when you have to consider you might be listening to a remix of the remix version, of the original, so the title is something like Horizon Digital Remix 2011, by DJ Prod covering DJ Dorp's Everything is Light, Momentum Version! Live at the 2015 International Concert! Hosted by DJ Sunshine! I mean, how the fuck do you search for shit like that?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This reminds me of this video, as it's pretty much exactly what you are talking about.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Also a fan of electronic music and yeah, it's a bit tough, though I tend to listen to Euro artists (Justice, Daft Punk, The Chemical Bros), so at the very least you can tell the artist (sometimes).

Reactions: BrawlMan and Kae

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
About a year ago a woman walked up to me in the grocery store and said "The world is flat. Did you know that?" I just replied that I didn't and we both went our separate ways.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also a fan of electronic music and yeah, it's a bit tough, though I tend to listen to Euro artists (Justice, Daft Punk, The Chemical Bros), so at the very least you can tell the artist (sometimes).
Same, though luckily for me, most of the Techno songs I like are from the late 80s to early 90s. Neo Disco has been here for the past 6 months now, so we are seeing 80s/90s style techno and 70s dance music again.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
About a year ago a woman walked up to me in the grocery store and said "The world is flat. Did you know that?" I just replied that I didn't and we both went our separate ways.
I don't get that sort of conspiracy. Like, if you believe that Group X is responsible for all your troubles, you don't have to look elsewhere or ask awkward questions, and it's cool to beat them up and/or take their stuff.

Don't see what you get out of deciding the world is flat. Also, it's just so embarasing, the space lizard stuff it at least interesting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't get that sort of conspiracy. Like, if you believe that Group X is responsible for all your troubles, you don't have to look elsewhere or ask awkward questions, and it's cool to beat them up and/or take their stuff.

Don't see what you get out of deciding the world is flat. Also, it's just so embarasing, the space lizard stuff it at least interesting.
From what I've heard from people who actually study this, a large component of it, stems from a feeling of control over your world, by thinking you know the "real truth" about things. That it helps them have a since of normalcy and have a handle on things, because now that they "know", they can make real choices that matter, unlike the sheeple.

That and I think it also feeds certain types of brains that thrive on suspicion and deception, and so the idea that there is a global conspiracy to convince the sheeple that the world is round (despite there being no real BENEFIT to doing so) makes MORE sense to them, than the world just being a sphere.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
From what I've heard from people who actually study this, a large component of it, stems from a feeling of control over your world, by thinking you know the "real truth" about things. That it helps them have a since of normalcy and have a handle on things, because now that they "know", they can make real choices that matter, unlike the sheeple.

That and I think it also feeds certain types of brains that thrive on suspicion and deception, and so the idea that there is a global conspiracy to convince the sheeple that the world is round (despite there being no real BENEFIT to doing so) makes MORE sense to them, than the world just being a sphere.
A lot of times the alternative to the conspiracy is actually much more frightening and/or isn't something anyone can control or guard against. Which is more comforting to believe, one lone lunatic with a gun can alter the course of history by murdering one of the world's most powerful men... or a massively coordinated conspiracy was executed by known person or group "X" for "Y" known motive? Its just more comforting to believe you have a handle on things than acknowledging that the world is a random and dangerous place.

Well, that and persecution complex. Seems to be a unfortunately pretty common mental disorder these days.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A lot of times the alternative to the conspiracy is actually much more frightening and/or isn't something anyone can control or guard against. Which is more comforting to believe, one lone lunatic with a gun can alter the course of history by murdering one of the world's most powerful men... or a massively coordinated conspiracy was executed by known person or group "X" for "Y" known motive? Its just more comforting to believe you have a handle on things than acknowledging that the world is a random and dangerous place.

Well, that and persecution complex. Seems to be a unfortunately pretty common mental disorder these days.
Yes, that's pretty much exactly the rationale that Al from Quantum Leap used during the Kennedy story arc. I mean almost word for word. That it's too terrifying for some people to think, that the world is so uncertain, that one jackass with a gun, can alter it that fundamentally. That it's makes more sense for them to think, that the SYSTEM is doing it, as part of some grand scheme. That's "working as intended" in their minds.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

I agree, it is embarrassing. We've already firmly established that the world is a four day time cube, when you go around pushing those crazy theories about the world being flat you just look like an idiot!

Reactions: The Rogue Wolf

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That sounds like hell.
It is. A problem that's only been exacerbated since streaming service took over physical media. I got Spotify way back in its infancy, and have spent the interim years discovering new artists and songs by the thousands. Sometimes, a random one will come to mind, but I won't recall the artists or track name, so I have to scroll through my playlists clicking on songs I think/ might be it, considering the style and who it "kinda" sounds like. Most recently it was "Fuk" by Plastikman; took me four days to track it down.

Oh for fuck's sake yes! EDM is my primary style of music for probably the...well, at least the last 15 years, but it's always been something I've enjoyed. Luckily a lot of the dj's I listen to include lyrics with most of their songs, like Above and Beyond for example. But yeah that's a huge problem. Especially when you have to consider you might be listening to a remix of the remix version, of the original, so the title is something like Horizon Digital Remix 2011, by DJ Prod covering DJ Dorp's Everything is Light, Momentum Version! Live at the 2015 International Concert! Hosted by DJ Sunshine! I mean, how the fuck do you search for shit like that?
Yep, the struggle is real. I went to a concert in the late '90s and saw (DJ) Taylor; he played an amazing set, but one track really stuck out to me, so I bought the album he was selling at the gig hoping it'd be on there, but alas, it wasn't. It was two YEARS before I heard the song again, I forget where, but I managed to learn it was actually a track by Paul Van Dyk.

Most of the stuff I've listened to for the better part of 25 years has been European as well, but over the past few years, I've discovered quite a few domestic artists I really love. Discovering n5MD was one of the best things ever.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yes, that's pretty much exactly the rationale that Al from Quantum Leap used during the Kennedy story arc. I mean almost word for word. That it's too terrifying for some people to think, that the world is so uncertain, that one jackass with a gun, can alter it that fundamentally. That it's makes more sense for them to think, that the SYSTEM is doing it, as part of some grand scheme. That's "working as intended" in their minds.
Sam Beckett was supposedly a genius on the level with Hawking, and he chose Al Calavicci for the project for more than just his ability to slap around a remote control.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sam Beckett was supposedly a genius on the level with Hawking, and he chose Al Calavicci for the project for more than just his ability to slap around a remote control.
I actually don't remember the in-universe reason for Al being on the project. I assumed it was that he had so many government connections from his time in the military, that he was sort of the government touch point for the staff. I mean the real reason is they wanted a "wise to the world" kind of guy, who could be the voice of the era they jumped into. Someone you could theoretically see having such a crazy, and varied life, that he had seen and did nearly everything out there, and could thus provide the "human" perspective. That's why most of his dialogue, would often revolve around telling Sam, who usually just looked at things logically and analytically, about "Yeah but, nobody at that time thought like that Sam. All we knew was X, and so we did Y. Was it dumb? Yeah, but, that was the world back then, so you need to be careful when dealing with person A, as they firmly believe Y."

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It is. A problem that's only been exacerbated since streaming service took over physical media. I got Spotify way back in its infancy, and have spent the interim years discovering new artists and songs by the thousands. Sometimes, a random one will come to mind, but I won't recall the artists or track name, so I have to scroll through my playlists clicking on songs I think/ might be it, considering the style and who it "kinda" sounds like. Most recently it was "Fuk" by Plastikman; took me four days to track it down.

Yep, the struggle is real. I went to a concert in the late '90s and saw (DJ) Taylor; he played an amazing set, but one track really stuck out to me, so I bought the album he was selling at the gig hoping it'd be on there, but alas, it wasn't. It was two YEARS before I heard the song again, I forget where, but I managed to learn it was actually a track by Paul Van Dyk.

Most of the stuff I've listened to for the better part of 25 years has been European as well, but over the past few years, I've discovered quite a few domestic artists I really love. Discovering n5MD was one of the best things ever.
THIS!!! THIS CLIP RIGHT HERE!! THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE EDM THINGS!!

JUST LOOK AT THE NAME OF THAT LINK!! *facepalm*

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
THIS!!! THIS CLIP RIGHT HERE!! THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE EDM THINGS!!

JUST LOOK AT THE NAME OF THAT LINK!! *facepalm*
I just saw Thievery Corporation last year when they came to Dallas. Great show. Whole place reeked of weed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I just saw Thievery Corporation last year when they came to Dallas. Great show. Whole place reeked of weed.
I only listened to the first song or 2 on that clip, and they were pretty groovy. Found myself bobbing my head absently while doing something else, so that's always a good sign. But, that clip name. It's just..exactly the issue I was talking about. XD

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My mom refuses to watch any of The Purge movies cuz she finds them too scary. Which is weird, cuz she's already seen worse action and horror stuff. Things that are way more graphic than the purge films. She is not much of a horror person, but she does love the Blade films. I know that's more so action horror, but you catch my drift. The Purge movies aren't even that scary. I admit 2, 3, and 4 have creepy moments, but I was never scared.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My mom refuses to watch any of The Purge movies cuz she finds them too scary. which is weird, cuz she's already seen worse action and horror stuff. Things that are way more graphic than the purge films. She is not much of a horror person, but she does love the Blade films. I know that's more so action horror, but you catch my drift. In The Purge movies aren't even that scary. I admit 2, 3, and 4 have creepy moments, but I was never scared.
Maybe the silly comic book fancy of things like Blade, where it's just vampires and other silly shit makes it ok for her, but, you know, the idea that your neighbors might just mask up, break down your door and kill/rape you, is a bit too real for her to disconnect and enjoy?

Reminds me of my mom, who just cannot stand blood in films, at all. I mean, the movie Little Shop of Horros, about the alien plant that eats people. That scene where he pricks his finger, and the camera does a closeup of his finger to show the tiny, single DROP of blood, when he first learns to feed her blood....my mom recoils at that. She's so squeamish it's hilarious.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Maybe the silly comic book fancy of things like Blade, where it's just vampires and other silly shit makes it ok for her, but, you know, the idea that your neighbors might just mask up, break down your door and kill/rape you, is a bit too real for her to disconnect and enjoy?
^This. I'll take supernatural horror all day long, but shit like Saw and Hostel? Shit that could very easily happen given the sick and demented stuff we already know people to be capable of makes for some disturbing escapist "entertainment." Hostel gave me, a grown man, nightmares for a few days. I mean, just read up on some the absolutely horrific shit Josef Mengele was up to during WWII; that shit's scarier than any werewolf, ghost, ghoul, goblin, alien or monster you can dream up.

Reactions: BrawlMan