What conspiracy theories do YOU believe?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
None that I can think of, Although I will admit the whole 9/11 was done by the governement is a lot more realistic than most theories.

Mr_RogersCU13

Nov 22, 2011
My dad always had a saying regarding conspiracy theories: If Bill Clinton couldn't hide getting a bj under a table, how the Hell do you think we could fake the moon landing or killing JFK?

But more seriously, I think you have to take into account that most people, including our political leaders, are idiots.

And I always laugh at people who feel the Freemasons are taking over the world. I live next to a 33rd degree Mason (the highest rank) and hes a harmless former dentist, hardly Dr. Evil in disguise. I'm a second degree and I haven't been included in any world domination planning meetings :(

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Agayek said:
OT: I don't think there are any big conspiracies out there. Think about it for a minute. A successful, unknown conspiracy in the internet age means three things need to happen: 1) Everyone needs to be perfect at what they do, 2) Everyone needs to believe in the cause, and 3) No one can be corrupt.

If any of those 3 are not met, someone in the media would find out about it and the whole world would know about it. It's simply not possible for a large-scale conspiracy to operate in the modern world.
I'm not sure... this is true for the classics such as Area 51 with it's hundreds of scientists or the Illuminati with figures in every country, but think about the biggest conspiracy in the post-internet era: 9/11. How many people would actually have had to be conspiring for this? I'm not saying I think this is true, but say an oil barron (or.. whatever, I don't really know the conspiracy) decided it would be best for everyone if America went to war with Afghanistahn and Iraq; a small bribe to a security guard and some diverted funds to a terrorist cell could well have done the job. Possibly some smuggling or some such too, but my point is that most of this is logistics "move package A to point B," not people specificaly acting to blow up American infrastructure. From what I do know about 9/11 America's defence forces were woefully unprepared for any such attack so there was no need for traitors at every level of govornment as some poeople claim, hell even a bribed guard who let the metal through the airport gate wouldn't have known what it was for until the first explosion and you can be sure they'd keep quiet about it afterwards.

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
This is less a conspiracy theory and more a set of personal beliefs, though. I'm also fairly certain our current anti-cloning ethics won't hold water forever. With the wealthy always being willing to pay to keep living, cheap and affordable organs will be needed. If China can bring sheep embryos near term in artificial tanks, there isn't much stopping us from growing independent organs in protein vats.
Actually we've been working on creating organs for a while, and can literally print kidneys (though they're not good enough to use yet).

http://blog.ted.com/2011/03/07/printing-a-human-kidney-anthony-atala-on-ted-com/

Jan 27, 2011
1) JFK was not killed by what's-his-face that everyone claims did it. I find it highly improbable.

2) Stephen Harper (Canadian Prime Minister) and/or his party were definitely behind the robocall scandal, which messed with voters that weren't planning on voting conservative, and which MIGHT have won him his majority.

That's all I can think of right now. I dunno if I believe any other conspiracy theories

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Scabadus said:
I'm not sure... this is true for the classics such as Area 51 with it's hundreds of scientists or the Illuminati with figures in every country, but think about the biggest conspiracy in the post-internet era: 9/11. How many people would actually have had to be conspiring for this? I'm not saying I think this is true, but say an oil barron (or.. whatever, I don't really know the conspiracy) decided it would be best for everyone if America went to war with Afghanistahn and Iraq; a small bribe to a security guard and some diverted funds to a terrorist cell could well have done the job. Possibly some smuggling or some such too, but my point is that most of this is logistics "move package A to point B," not people specificaly acting to blow up American infrastructure. From what I do know about 9/11 America's defence forces were woefully unprepared for any such attack so there was no need for traitors at every level of govornment as some poeople claim, hell even a bribed guard who let the metal through the airport gate wouldn't have known what it was for until the first explosion and you can be sure they'd keep quiet about it afterwards.
Well yea, but that's kinda beside the point. It's not a conspiracy theory that 9/11 happened. They pulled it off with a fairly standard operation that the US simply wasn't prepared for, if for no other reason than no one had ever done it before.

My point was that there aren't shadowy cabals out there trying to take over the world from behind the scenes and that the news as reported to the masses is usually the truth, if incomplete (at least once you filter out the sensationalism, bias, exaggerations, et al, preferably by exposure to other sources). People as a whole simply aren't competent enough at what they do to be able to run things and avoid all public scrutiny.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
While it disgusts me to say this... with pretty much every conspiracy theory I've heard, I basically have one rule: Follow the money...

So when someone tells that the US orchestrated 9/11, I may not go that far, but following THAT money trail will lead you right to the corrupt politicians who profited from it all, and many are in the US government. If they didn't orchestrate it, they at least allowed it to happen.

Electric and alternative fuel cars are not mass-produced? follow the money... who benefits from having no electric cars? Oil companies... oil companies buy up hundreds of automotive patents every year.

It's a pretty good rule that can be applied to most any conspiracy theory.

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
I believe in that stuff about lizardmen from the earth's core. But not that they control the Catholic church or anything. They're just chilling down there.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Agayek said:
Hunter65416 said:
The stupidest one I can think of is the 'Paul is dead' one about the beatles covering up pauls death to save the public grief
I think I can one-up you on this one. I heard a conspiracy theory from one of my co-workers a couple of months ago about how most con-trails (the trails of steam generated by a plane's exhaust) are actually "chem trails" that the government is using to spread mercury, arsenic and other poisons throughout the atmosphere. Not in sufficient quantities to kill everyone, but as a means to keep people too busy trying to breath to revolt.

It's pretty ridiculous.
Well, your friend is TECHNICALLY right. There ARE Chem-trails, but they're probably not as dark and evil and he's making them out to be.

It's most often just cloud seeding or some light geo-engineering.
It's been in the public domain since the 40's.
Right now anyone can go get it done if you've got the cash, and it's in debate now about putting some regulation on it, last I remember.

We did it here in the UK for the Royal Wedding to make sure it was a nice day.
Funny enough, Paul McCartney was said to have done it for one of his concerts a while back.
(EDIT: Oh, found the article for you; http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/jun/24/thisweekssciencequestions3 )

They also use them in Green efforts in order to help protect the Ozone layer as well, using some kind of Metallic flakes or something. A pilot friend of mine explained it to me a while back.

The debate right now is whether this is causing other adverse effects with the weather, and the potential abuse of it. Or whether it actually works at all.

So there you go, you can tell your friend he's not COMPLETELY nuts. Just mostly.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
While I don't believe we had a hand in 9/11 I do believe we had the information and means to have been able to stop it.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I think SOPA/PIPA were deliberately ridiculous propositions meant to fake out the internet, while they go ahead and push something else sneakier under the radar. Like ACTA or CISPA.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I believe there is HUGE conspiracy behind the assassination of JFK... Like he was assassinated by ROBO-Kennedy, or something...

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Grey Walker said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
This is less a conspiracy theory and more a set of personal beliefs, though. I'm also fairly certain our current anti-cloning ethics won't hold water forever. With the wealthy always being willing to pay to keep living, cheap and affordable organs will be needed. If China can bring sheep embryos near term in artificial tanks, there isn't much stopping us from growing independent organs in protein vats.
Actually we've been working on creating organs for a while, and can literally print kidneys (though they're not good enough to use yet).

http://blog.ted.com/2011/03/07/printing-a-human-kidney-anthony-atala-on-ted-com/
Wow, that's awesome. Now all we're missing is megalopolises, cyberspace decks, Simstim units and pepperbox flechette pistols.

Captcha: industrial revolution
You're a little behind the times, Lord Inglip...

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
On a serious note, I don't believe any big conspiricies like 9/11, Bigfoot, Reptile people, etc. But I am a creationist, so there's that. (The universe was created 6-10,000 years ago, but created as an old universe with billions of years of development already written into it.)
That's not a conspiracy theory (if it was God fucked up big time by making people write it down and making billions read it), that's just illogical.

OT: I don't believe in any conspiracy theories. I used to think 9/11 was an inside job but then I grew up and stopped being so fucking stupid.