What does the world have against America?

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Vryyk said:
Hooooooly shit, there are countries that have a right to give us grief about what we did to the Native Americans but Britain definitely isn't one of them.

For starters, you founded your country in the exact same way we did, coming in to someone else's country, killing the inhabitants, and claiming it for yourself. To be fair though, almost every modern country started this way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_England

Secondly, consider the actions of the British Empire. You guys wrote the fucking rulebook on exploitation of native peoples. Britain was second only to Portugal in the matter of slave taking/trading. Not to mention the brutal methods they used getting ivory and precious metals from the African people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

The Irish would have a bit to say on this matter as well, I know there's a good bit of bad blood there after you invaded their country and claimed it for yourself. Plenty of unnecessary cruelties were visited on them once you guys had control as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwellian_conquest_of_Ireland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Wexford
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_for_the_Settlement_of_Ireland_1652

If America was built on rivers of blood England was nursed on oceans of the stuff. This is only what I can remember off of the top of my head.
The point is that, while most countries have indeed been created like that, it's much rarer now. Yet America still acts like a colonial power, way past the colonial age.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
Vryyk said:
Hooooooly shit, there are countries that have a right to give us grief about what we did to the Native Americans but Britain definitely isn't one of them.

For starters, you founded your country in the exact same way we did, coming in to someone else's country, killing the inhabitants, and claiming it for yourself. To be fair though, almost every modern country started this way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_England

Secondly, consider the actions of the British Empire. You guys wrote the fucking rulebook on exploitation of native peoples. Britain was second only to Portugal in the matter of slave taking/trading. Not to mention the brutal methods they used getting ivory and precious metals from the African people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

The Irish would have a bit to say on this matter as well, I know there's a good bit of bad blood there after you invaded their country and claimed it for yourself. Plenty of unnecessary cruelties were visited on them once you guys had control as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwellian_conquest_of_Ireland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Wexford
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_for_the_Settlement_of_Ireland_1652

If America was built on rivers of blood England was nursed on oceans of the stuff. This is only what I can remember off of the top of my head.
The point is that, while most countries have indeed been created like that, it's much rarer now. Yet America still acts like a colonial power, way past the colonial age.
Yup, we here in America have done nothing but pillage our way around the world. That's why we have so much oil.

The worst that could be said is the corporations love to exploit cheap labor in foreign markets, but that's hardly unique to America.

Pipsquid

Mar 25, 2010
First of all, People from the US aren't the only AMERICANS, and the US isn't AMERICA. America is a continent. Get that right.
Second, They think they are the center of the world and can do whatever they want. Doesn't work that way.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
amaranth_dru said:
Responding to your spoiler bit i think one of the main problems that non-religious people have with the religious stuff been taught in schools and plastered all over the place is that they think children and adults are being indoctrinated by it just like coca cola advertises to increase their brands popularity whereas you really don't see atheist classes being taught or adverts for atheism as a solution to all your problems.There is also the problem that things like that minister burning the Koran publicly being allowed but if it had been a bible he almost definitely would have been arrested its the double standard that's the problem.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
thelonewolf266 said:
amaranth_dru said:
Responding to your spoiler bit i think one of the main problems that non-religious people have with the religious stuff been taught in schools and plastered all over the place is that they think children and adults are being indoctrinated by it just like coca cola advertises to increase their brands popularity whereas you really don't see atheist classes being taught or adverts for atheism as a solution to all your problems.There is also the problem that things like that minister burning the Koran publicly being allowed but if it had been a bible he almost definitely would have been arrested its the double standard that's the problem.
Even if it's not in the Constitution explicitly, the Supreme Court has ruled it that way for 200 years now, giving it precedent in legal cases.

Doog0AD

Apr 23, 2010
If there was one thing about America that I had to point out as being my major "issue" with the country, it's the fact that America is a terrible role model for how to rule a country.

Besides having the largest lobbyist culture in the entire world (Lamar Smith, the writer of the SOPA bill, received 500.000 dollars from the entertainment industry to write it, and he himself knows nothing of how the internet works), it also has the highest number of completely passive citizens. If you look at how many people take an active political stance at any time beyond when there's voting for a president/Congress, the number is criminally small, and it seems as if, even though Americans constantly say that they don't want the government interfering with their lives, they're perfectly happy letting the government do its own thing (which, when coupled with the lobbyist thing we talked about earlier, means corporatism may very well run the show) speaks of phenomenal hypocrisy and immaturity. And yet people look up to the U.S, and it's honestly a bit creepy.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
thelonewolf266 said:
amaranth_dru said:
What would there to be to teach about atheism? Its so simple it wouldn't even be a class at all... "There is no god, angels, heaven or hell, you die and thats it" doesn't make much for a course...

And yes there are double-standards in this country true, but I guarantee you anyone burning bibles isn't going to be arrested for it. Sure there will be a public outcry, just as there was for the WBC dude burning the Koran. Also, your argument about that is a strawman, being as you're labeling a group of diverse religious folk on the actions of one minister/church. Its just as bad as saying all Muslims are terrorists because a great number of current terrorists are Muslim.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
America is a country, North America is the continent. Granted, that's because when America was founded, it was the only independent nation on the continents...

I would also like to point out that most people in most countries don't actually care about international politics except where it directly influences them. I know a lot of farmers/ranchers who couldn't tell you what the Euro was or who is PM of England, but could go on for hours about trying to export their products to Japan or whatever other country was putting up bans or tariffs.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
two words: Very Demotivational [http://verydemotivational.memebase.com/?s=america &utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=sharewidget]
need i say more?

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Talshere said:
ComradeJim270 said:
Talshere said:
Given how many other countries trade with the ones in the Eurozone, it actually affects a lot more than just Europe. Thanks to globalization, any time one of the world's larger economies runs into trouble, it tends to drag down the others. The Eurozone contains several of the world's largest economies. If you count all the member states together, the EU actually is the world's largest economy. So the Euro crisis actually affects a lot of non-European contries.
Not really, if it looks like its seriously guna go that way the euro currency will either decentralise basically removing it as a currency, IE Germany will still have Euro's but they will be German Euros which are only valid in Germany (Yes you can identify current Euro currency by nation so it is possible) or Greece and any other country that cant be physically save will be kicked out of the single currency thereby averting the problem.

The question atm isnt "Will the big economies survive" its "can we save the euro". We already KNOW the big economies will survive, one way or the other.

ComradeJim270 said:
Talshere said:
Because generations of Americans were taught from an early age that communists were unarguably evil and trying to conquer the world, and the US was the only thing standing in their way. As for the USSR, I guess we're trying to figure out what to do with all these super-expensive, horrifyingly destructive weapons we built to fight them, and some people miss knowing exactly who the "bad guys" are and being able to justify spending any amount of money on something as long as it's designed to make those people die.
Propaganda and hypocrisy :p The flavour of the interwebs. I give you props though at least you admit it, its more than I usually get.

The idea that and communism itself is evil is laughable at best. In fact on paper communism is the only really viable government method. What you COULD do with all those super expensive weapons and that pointlessly big military now that I think about it, is, you know,get rid of them? Im not a big fan of total disarmament. In fact with the number of new countries just now starting to flex their atomic muscles without the case study of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to learn from total disarmament would be callus and irresponsible. But er. Overcompensating much :p

I though it for a while, I liken the USA to a Teenager that knows its time to grow up get a job and act responsibly but isnt quite sure what that means or how to go about it :p[/quote]

Wrong analogy, more like a guy who won the lotto and raised 3 generations of spoiled children who would spoil THEIR children even worse, implanting an entire 2 further generations with a HUGE false sense of entitlement which would lead us to our current economic situation.

Moral of the story: Don't win the lotto.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
We generally make ourselves look bad. Invading other countries, flaunting our wealth, acting superior without justification.
I'm American, and I rather dislike this country and it's residents.

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Because we, as a country, are awful. Seriously. Just the worst.
Also we don't seem to have a grasp of the problems other countries face in comparison to ours. Y'know, famines, military juntas, that kind of thing.
Yeah, that's true. We europeans can't go a day without a big old famine hitting us. Damn to hell our junta leaders!!

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
J-dog42 said:
I think its important to distinguish between America and Americans. I'm not a fan of America as a whole, but one of the loveliest people I know is an American.
This is what I think. I know many good Americans. Many Americans are good, despite all the loonies there.

America the country isn't good, though. And in a way, that's sad. It drags down the world, makes the good people there look bad, and really, when you think about it, America is the big experiment in democracy. The Greeks invented it (I'm British and I'm admitting that), The British brought it to the modern age, but America was the first true modern democracy. To watch America slip from being a gentle giant and becaon of democracy from as recently as WWII to the modern blob of evil that can grip the world in fear through the might of it's military and the cold hand of it's economy that covers the global economy and is probably ready to take the tumble all empires must one day do, it's sad. It's a fall from grace.

At least my bets are that China won't be the new global overlord.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
My personal dislike towards most people I've met from the US is how insanely brainwashed they are. Granted, this doesn't mean everyone is, but I've meet quite a few, and there's definitely a pattern going on in there.

It's a capitalistic nation, and it shows in the mentality of the MAJORITY of the population.