What has ruined YOUR life?

Atvomat_Nikonov

Jul 2, 2008
crimsondynamics said:
Don't think too much and just do it. If you can't approach her for fear of rejection, say it with flowers. I fancied this girl in high school once, and couldn't bring myself to talk to her - we had no friends in common and shared no classes. So, roses. I bought a very nice rose with a card and had it sent to her. The card just said, "Just wanted you to know I think you are beautiful." She started to ask around to find out who sent her that rose, and she eventually found out. She approached me one day to thank me for the rose, which was a great ice breaker. A few minutes later, we agreed to a date.
Thanks for the advice, friend. But maybe I should have added that I have little problem talking to her when she is there but it's just that if I think of it too much I dont speak to her. When I do speak to her, it's a spur of the moment kind of thing. Thanks for the advice though, I'll try that out some time in the near future.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
PsykoDragon said:
Ahh, the depressing tales of an alternate universe where everything went right... [quote cut for length]
I hate this thread now.
Oh, I oughtn't forget how we were unable to take much of our stuff out of Iraq when we came. We planned on having someone send it eventually, or going back & taking everything. Now all we know is that the whole house has been looted to the bone, every last piece of furniture, every last packed box ready for delivery. Saddest thing is, most of the boxes had nothing but photographs in them.

That's right. Over 3 decades of family history, gone. No more pictures of when I was a baby. Honeymoon pics, pics of my brothers & sister (who were mercifully not living with us during the raid on my house) from when they were toddlers, pics of our travels & vacations...

When I take pictures of my (possible) kids in the future, show it to them eventually, & when they ask me if I have pictures of when I was a kid, how am I supposed to respond? Well ok, that's too specific, but how do I, for example, check out my friend's photo album, & when he says he wants to see mine I tell him "I've got no history."?

Sorry, I'm kinda ranting here. Jumped on the chance to vent a bit I guess. I'll let go of this thread now.

crimsondynamics

Nov 6, 2008
Atvomat_Nikonov said:
crimsondynamics said:
Don't think too much and just do it. If you can't approach her for fear of rejection, say it with flowers. I fancied this girl in high school once, and couldn't bring myself to talk to her - we had no friends in common and shared no classes. So, roses. I bought a very nice rose with a card and had it sent to her. The card just said, "Just wanted you to know I think you are beautiful." She started to ask around to find out who sent her that rose, and she eventually found out. She approached me one day to thank me for the rose, which was a great ice breaker. A few minutes later, we agreed to a date.
Thanks for the advice, friend. But maybe I should have added that I have little problem talking to her when she is there but it's just that if I think of it too much I dont speak to her. When I do speak to her, it's a spur of the moment kind of thing. Thanks for the advice though, I'll try that out some time in the near future.
Actually, I read your post and it reminded me of the single best piece of advice I've ever received regarding our insecurities towards the opposite sex and our fear of rejection.

I saw the most beautiful woman once, and I say this without an iota of hyperbole - she was a sales executive and we arranged to meet to discuss her company's services - and I raved about her to all my friends to no end. I assumed someone so gorgeous must be accounted for by someone else - but I wasn't sure because I knew virtually nothing about her apart from the fact her company could provide services that my company needed. Furthermore, I couldn't bring myself to ask her for a date, for fear of rejection.

A buddy of mine, who was patient enough to hear my miscellaneous ramblings about her finally said, "if you don't ask her out, someone else will."

I downed a six-pack of beer, called the number on her namecard, and after an hour of stammering and hesitation, I managed to ask her out on a date. She accepted.

Today we are happily married, with two children. :)

Go for it. The world is yours for the taking, but you are the one who has to take the first step! Better to be rejected and know you two were never meant to be than to spend the rest of your life wondering, "what if"?

I wish you good luck!

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
What ruined my life??

Neurological disorders...

But it's this problem, that im as understanding and as pactent as I am now.

Shrifes

Jul 4, 2008
If I were to choose one thing that did the most damage to me I would have to say after my parents broke up. I was five years old at the time. My Father called me to talk, it was a nice gesture but he made one mistake that I'll never forget. I asked him "Why did you move away?" in different words but essentially that, he replied simply "Nothing there for me." At this point I realized that my Father the most important male in my life and the closest thing I had to a role model viewed me as nothing. It tore my heart out and since then I have been very bitter. There is more, I'll add it later I don't think I would do my story justice right now. If anyone is really curious send me a message and I'll share anything you'd like to know within reason, there are things I will not share.

leugim789

May 29, 2008
Atvomat_Nikonov said:
When I think about something too much, I will be very hesitant to do whatever I was thinking of. For example(and I have just used this example in another thread), talking to that hot girl in science class. I will think of all the different things I could start a conversation about, all the ways I could succeed and all the ways I could fail and I end up not doing it. It annoys me to no end, as I've missed out on quite a bit because of it.
i feel the same way too, sometimes my daydreams go even further to asking out succeding and eventually breaking up, it feels so real though it kinda hurts.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I wasn't doing well at university, and wasn't getting anywhere near what I wanted to do in my life, so I applied at a media institute where I could specialize in the sports journalism field I desperately wanted to do with my life. I aced the audition, I got along great with the students already there, I got my deposit check in, I was set.

Then on August 14th, two weeks before I was set to head down, someone from the school called me. They were shutting down, and my check was going to be sent back to me. I was livid.

I'm working at a call center, now, trying to get another plan setup up to try and continue my dream. It's not looking good. Plus my student loan payments from before are killing me, it turns out one of of them didn't even make it to the school, so I owe them money as well, I had to buy a new laptop the other day since the hard drive head on my other one snapped inside, not even letting me retrieve my data, and I have to shell out $550 for winter tires on my piece of crap car, that was only worth $1500 three years ago. To put it simply, my life is crap right now.

Jenkins

Dec 4, 2007
i always have the tendency to ask girls out NOT KNOWING they already had a BF ahahah. yeah...

also i think itd be awkward if they sit next to you in class and if they DID say no its like... hmmm

Atvomat_Nikonov

Jul 2, 2008
crimsondynamics said:
Actually, I read your post and it reminded me of the single best piece of advice I've ever received regarding our insecurities towards the opposite sex and our fear of rejection.

I saw the most beautiful woman once, and I say this without an iota of hyperbole - she was a sales executive and we arranged to meet to discuss her company's services - and I raved about her to all my friends to no end. I assumed someone so gorgeous must be accounted for by someone else - but I wasn't sure because I knew virtually nothing about her apart from the fact her company could provide services that my company needed. Furthermore, I couldn't bring myself to ask her for a date, for fear of rejection.

A buddy of mine, who was patient enough to hear my miscellaneous ramblings about her finally said, "if you don't ask her out, someone else will."

I downed a six-pack of beer, called the number on her namecard, and after an hour of stammering and hesitation, I managed to ask her out on a date. She accepted.

Today we are happily married, with two children. :)

Go for it. The world is yours for the taking, but you are the one who has to take the first step! Better to be rejected and know you two were never meant to be than to spend the rest of your life wondering, "what if"?

I wish you good luck!
Ah, more brilliant advice. I do really owe you for this advice, and that story. It was an inspiring one to say the least. I'm planning on asking her out on a 'date' soon, and I shall inform you on the results. I'm not sure when I'll ask her, but it will only be after I've gotten second opinions of two of my lady friends.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Illesdan said:
On a lighter note, one co-worker at a previous job had thought I was ignoring her every time she said 'hello' to me. I hadn't realized she had been talking to me at all because her voice was so gentle you had to be paying attention to hear her. One of my friends pulled me aside one day and I thought she was going to slap me; 'She's been trying to get you to talk to her for about three weeks now, the least you can do is say hello back!' I was floored, I hadn't realized how unobservant I had been. That woman is now my wife, and we just celebrated our 8th year together last October.
Aww, that's adorable. :)
It's almost like my mother and her boyfriend. He fancied her at school, but she didn't care and they went their separate ways. Now, 28 years later, they're together.