What have you purchased recently?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That quote on a box always bodes well, huh? Definitely let us know if it actually works, cause not every "as seen on TV" thing is a junker. Just what feels like 90% of the time
Yeah, I'll report back once I've got it and put it to the task. Look for that update in the "Complain" thread, most likely. I fee like I just handed $40 to a crackhead on the promise he's using it for "gas money." Only good thing so far is that with my expectations this low, they can only go up; if it kills ONE mosquito, I'm calling it a win.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Tis the season, so I fuckin' bought one of these goddamn things; should be here this week. I have a feeling it's going to be about as effective as anything "as seen on TV" typically is, but in the war on mosquitoes, I'm willing to try anything. Supposedly, it was created by some guy with a severe allergy to mosquitoes, and uses the precise frequency of UV light that attracts them. If it works at all, all glory and praise to He most high, but my luck, it'll probably just attract them to my general vicinity where they'll feast on ankles like they've done every year since forever.

View attachment 8876
Get some science in ya:

According to my (not exactly post-graduate) understanding, LED mosquito traps are far less effective than those using florescent bulbs, and mosquitoes operate by scent and motion far more than they do by color. But if you can zap a few of the little bitches (biting mosquitoes are exclusively female) then more power to you.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I got and barely scratched the surface of Death Stranding from Epic. This week, the base game is free. For $5 you can upgrade to the director's cut so I did. Sound over my speakers has a problem. Maybe that won't be the case over headphones.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Switch) - I traded in the Arkham Double Pack, and KOFXV to get money off. I wasn't playing much of either, and KOFXV has no bonus modes to keep me interested. USFII has bonuses and more. I did beat Arkham Asylum though. These games I can get cheap on Amazon, whenever I need to replay them. I originally was going to include GG Strive in my trade-in, but the online second hand market is charging more for this game used than new. As if the game didn't sell, which we all know that is not the case. The EU versions of this game go for a much cheaper price, but I am not going through all that. Plus, there was DLC I paid for along while back, and I did not want that to go to waste. I still have to get Season 2 Pass, but I'm gonna wait for a sale.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't often spoil myself, but my girlfriend's brother came down this past weekend and put a set of Skullcandy's Crusher Evo headphones on my head, and my credit card basically typed itself into my phone 30 seconds later. These headphones are incredible. It's like wearing one of those annoying cars that vibrates the neighborhood with obnoxious bass on your head, but no one outside the headphones can hear anything. I spent the first hour finding every bass-heavy track I could think of, then giggling like a little girl at how amazing they sounded through these headphones. I'll be deaf by my next birthday, but I'll rock out with my cock out until then.

1685469470130.png

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
a set of Skullcandy's Crusher Evo headphones
I'm pretty impressed by what I'm finding online. Usually SkullCandy headphones have the bass cranked so high that it sounds like anything outside of the bass tones don't exist, while the bass response sounds like it's coming out of a busted subwoofer. But, no... the graphs and general responses of the Evos are actually remarkably solid. A bass boost is there of course, but not obnoxiously so, while the rest of the spectrum seems to have room to breathe. Not bad, much better than I expected. Enjoy them!

I just got some Sennheiser Momentum headphones (the original ones from the mid 2010's) second hand for dirt cheap and they sound great compared to my old set. Here's to new life being breathed into our music! Cheers and all that~

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I just got some Sennheiser Momentum headphones (the original ones from the mid 2010's) second hand for dirt cheap and they sound great compared to my old set. Here's to new life being breathed into our music! Cheers and all that~
Word of warning that the 2.5mm jack going into the headphones has rather fragile wires in it. They break easily with extended use. I speak from experience.

Well, if it's a wired one.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Word of warning that the 2.5mm jack going into the headphones has rather fragile wires in it. They break easily with extended use. I speak from experience.

Well, if it's a wired one.
It is, and I'll definitely keep it in mind. It came with 2 cables, one with a mic and button array and one without, so if one craps out then I can swap. I think I might swap to the other though depending on what Sennheiser support says about me mentioning it along with another question I had, cause it gets kinda crackly when I plug it into a device until I rotate the plug a bit. Willing to bet the one I have in there now is what the previous owner used primarily

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
(no one saw the wrong thread post, no-one at all.🫢)

PXL_20230601_122557184.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

PXL_20230601_122730622.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Some sort of unhinged hallucinatory modernised judge dredd for our social media age. Don't have a clue what am doing, just looked big intrigues. Now 2nd comic ever bought and owned. Gonna apply for official nerd status identification soon.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Tis the season, so I fuckin' bought one of these goddamn things; should be here this week. I have a feeling it's going to be about as effective as anything "as seen on TV" typically is, but in the war on mosquitoes, I'm willing to try anything. Supposedly, it was created by some guy with a severe allergy to mosquitoes, and uses the precise frequency of UV light that attracts them. If it works at all, all glory and praise to He most high, but my luck, it'll probably just attract them to my general vicinity where they'll feast on ankles like they've done every year since forever.

View attachment 8876
As expected, this thing is a massive piece of Chinese (<-- not racist) shit. In a huge "fuck you" from the universe, the first night I put it out, I killed no fewer than 5 mosquitoes on my and my girlfriend's ankles with this device literally inches away. The zapper has precisely zero confirmed kills.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
As expected, this thing is a massive piece of Chinese (<-- not racist) shit. In a huge "fuck you" from the universe, the first night I put it out, I killed no fewer than 5 mosquitoes on my and my girlfriend's ankles with this device literally inches away. The zapper has precisely zero confirmed kills.
As expected, "as seen on TV" means hot garbage. Not too late to get a refund I hope?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As expected, "as seen on TV" means hot garbage. Not too late to get a refund I hope?
I spent the money knowing I was likely to have equal success setting it on fire. Not worth the hassle of a refund as I'm sure that process would cause more stress than the occasional mosquito bite or two or dozen. Anyway, back to plan A which is taking a shot of mosquito repellant once a day in the hopes my body becomes innately repellant before I succumb to the more poisonous aspects of the chemicals. (Also don't share this post with any insurance companies; I don't want my death considered a suicide to negate my life insurance policies.)

What color ribbon do I wear to show my solidarity with the anti-mosquito movement? I don't think it gets talked about enough.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What color ribbon do I wear to show my solidarity with the anti-mosquito movement? I don't think it gets talked about enough.
Not that long ago, it was a huge thing. They'd put up big signs warning people about mosquitos, they'd have boy scouts go round to houses and rate people's anti-mosquito measures.

(I like the sign with the mosquito that goes back and forth at about 15:20 in the second)

But, getting the public behind health and disease control measures is harder today, I'm afraid.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
But, getting the public behind health and disease control measures is harder today, I'm afraid.
How dare people suggest I use bug replant spray?! It's my body, I decide what gets put onto my skin and possibly inhaled! Viruses from a mosquito are probably some fake news propaganda made in CHI-NA and I won't hear any of it! Stop selling insect replant in stores!!
Etc, etc

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Really we just need a disease to be visible enough and scary and people will be willing to get behind it. Covid was scary but not really visible. We need a disease that at least temporarily disfigures.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Really we just need a disease to be visible enough and scary and people will be willing to get behind it. Covid was scary but not really visible. We need a disease that at least temporarily disfigures.
Like gunshots?

Anyhoo, Irn Bru, Scotlands famous soft drink, or at least the version made in Australia. Eh, nothing fancy.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
If we saw a lot of people with gunshot scars walking around that might do it.
You're kidding? It will be a reminder that we need more guns.

You cannot fight bad faith. It integrates any data to its narrative. Visible covid symptoms? Would have been attributed to vaccines, or to poisoning by the State/BigPharma in order to sell more vaccines. Heck, think climate change is a telling symptom of, uh, climate change? Meteorologists and weather forecasters are now harassed and threatened for their complicity in the big anti-oil conspiracy. Think the invasion of Ukraine is telling of Putin's imperialism? Nope, Ukraine is still the invader and having dared eyeing a defensive pact is the proof of it. Think the shoah would have told something about antisemitism? Wrong, it's a blatant Jewish hoax that just illustrates how Jews control historical narratives.

Nothing breaches ideological circularity.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You're kidding? It will be a reminder that we need more guns.

You cannot fight bad faith. It integrates any data to its narrative. Visible covid symptoms? Would have been attributed to vaccines, or to poisoning by the State/BigPharma in order to sell more vaccines. Heck, think climate change is a telling symptom of, uh, climate change? Meteorologists and weather forecasters are now harassed and threatened for their complicity in the big anti-oil conspiracy. Think the invasion of Ukraine is telling of Putin's imperialism? Nope, Ukraine is still the invader and having dared eyeing a defensive pact is the proof of it. Think the shoah would have told something about antisemitism? Wrong, it's a blatant Jewish hoax that just illustrates how Jews control historical narratives.

Nothing breaches ideological circularity.
You will always have the dumb as fuck outliers, the internet makes that more pervasive. But, the anti-vax movement is based on the fact that we got really good at dealing with the scariest diseases so the extent that most people would see a big disease was chicken pox or the flu. Chicken pox is the most visable disease we still have in the west and its mainly just annoying. The flu is so misunderstood that we call things stomach flus and while the flu does kill a good number of people, its not really in public sight, most people get sick and get over it. Aids was scary but it was also seen as a gay disease and punishment from god by dipshits who would certainly never catch it since they certainly weren't gay. We don't really have a modern equivalent for polio or mumps, aside from polio or mumps which are starting to come back thanks to anti-vax assholes, but not in enough numbers to really scare people out of their stupid.

Anyway, the short of it is that disease used to be much more visible to the average person, we got so good at dealing with the worst of it that people don't care so the worst people will come up with their conspiracies.