What have you purchased recently?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The ULTIMATE james bond box set. So, you'll tell me, how is it the ULTIMATE if it only features the films up to Skyfall? Well, because, hear this, it features an additional, empty slot for Spectre !! When it will be released, in 2016 or so, I'll be able to buy it, ditch its own individual box, and insert the disk in that set instead, and THEN the collection will be COMPLETE FOREVER.

See. They thought of EVERYTHING.
I'm pretty sure the collection that stopped after Pierce Brosnan was also called the Ultimate box set. OTOH, I lost interest in Bond during the Brosnan's run anyway, so I don't have a problem with that.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I'm pretty sure the collection that stopped after Pierce Brosnan was also called the Ultimate box set. OTOH, I lost interest in Bond during the Brosnan's run anyway, so I don't have a problem with that.
Yes same thing. As we haggled, the seller was all proud to say there was 24 movies in it, I was answering that there was too many for me.

I would have preferred one of the box sets that are "rounded up" after an actor, still. I don't care for the post-goldeneye films (or the even the Dalton ones), and I consider the Craig thingies as a different series (too stupidly made to be fully independent). But still some rounding or some roundability (2 empty slots instead of one) would be fine.

But it was a very cheap opportunity, from a very sympathetic seller. You know, on flea markets, people just get rid of the worst trash, the shitty movies that were bought because they were all the hype during two weeks, like the books you find on the houses where nobody reads. That was the opposite. A deliberate selection of curated classics, it was impressive. Bought an Elio Petri, a Marcel Carné, an Henri Verneuil, a Mizoguchi, etc... I pillaged his stall and then brought other people there. His approach was deserving support. I would have been more nitpicky in other conditions.

Also I gave up on my dream of having a full collection with the original posters as box covers, but that box does feature a lovely booklet about the original posters, so I'm somewhat covered on that front.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Some new shorts. I'm not really a shorts guy, but in this Texas heat, refusing to wear shorts is basically like refusing anesthesia before undergoing surgery. But the only shorts I will wear are any that go below my knee. When I sit down, if the shorts slide above my knees, it's a fail. These are on the cusp of that, but they're lightweight and breathable, so I'll deal with them until the blessed winter months when I can put my jeans back on, and the natives huddle around their 55-gallon drum fires while I, a Yankee, embrace the brisk mornings and colder nights.

Also, a new fridge. The one we have outside in the backyard shit the bed after a couple of years. It was free from a friend of a friend, but I still paid him $50 because I don't believe in "free" (more accurately, I don't believe that kind of kindness comes without expectation,) so I'm not mad it went out finally; I AM pissed that the cheapest, viable options were much more expensive than $50 (thought for a second the karmic gods might smile upon me for my generosity when I paid for something that was free.) Found an open-box model with a few dents for $750, plus a delivery fee, and a haul-away fee when they take the old one, about $900 in the end. This one better last the rest of my life, and the lives of my children, and the lives of children's children. Now I just need to have some children to gauge that expectation by.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
My old PS Pulse headphones broke and no amount of duct tape will make them comfortable, so I got the new PS5 version which Amazon said is compatible with my lowly PS4. Technically that was correct but the problem is they kinda sound like shit. Like if I was in prison listening in from an adjacent cell. Wondering if there’s a way to make them sound better, or if I need me summa that Tempest 3D audio for that to happen.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
My old PS Pulse headphones broke and no amount of duct tape will make them comfortable, so I got the new PS5 version which Amazon said is compatible with my lowly PS4. Technically that was correct but the problem is they kinda sound like shit. Like if I was in prison listening in from an adjacent cell. Wondering if there’s a way to make them sound better, or if I need me summa that Tempest 3D audio for that to happen.
Perhaps the new headphones are just that, kinda shite. Here's hoping they're not though, but headsets can often be a bit of a gamble

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Perhaps the new headphones are just that, kinda shite. Here's hoping they're not though, but headsets can often be a bit of a gamble
That would be pretty surprising because the PS4 model sounds excellent. Odds are it’s one of those things where compatibility is limited outside of what it’s mainly designed for.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A new powerline ethernet adapter. I bought one last year because there's a spot in my house that my wifi has trouble getting a good signal, and that just so happens to be where my TV and PS5 are. I could probably move the router if I really wanted to, or I could just throw money at the problem until I solve it.

I previously bought what was basically the cheapest powerline adapter I could (from a brand I trust) just to see if it would even work in my house. It only had a max output of 100 mbps, and I was only actually getting about 75 mbps most of the time, but it was good enough for a while, and that was still more consistant than what I was getting over wifi, which was sometimes as low as 30 mbps even though everywhere else in my house I get over 300.

Well, I decided to upgrade and go big. Got one that has a max output of 1 gbps. I wasn't actually expecting to get 1gb, but figured if it got me like 150-200mbps I'd be pretty happy with it.

Instead I got about a 30% boost.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's the actual wiring in my house that's the bottleneck, but I might as well keep the new one anyway since it's still an improvement.

Also, I bought Demon's Souls for the PS5. I've been meaning to play the remake but had a hard time justifying dropping $70 given that I'd already played (and still own) the original. $30 though? That sounds like a good deal to me.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
A new powerline ethernet adapter. I bought one last year because there's a spot in my house that my wifi has trouble getting a good signal, and that just so happens to be where my TV and PS5 are. I could probably move the router if I really wanted to, or I could just throw money at the problem until I solve it.

I previously bought what was basically the cheapest powerline adapter I could (from a brand I trust) just to see if it would even work in my house. It only had a max output of 100 mbps, and I was only actually getting about 75 mbps most of the time, but it was good enough for a while, and that was still more consistant than what I was getting over wifi, which was sometimes as low as 30 mbps even though everywhere else in my house I get over 300.

Well, I decided to upgrade and go big. Got one that has a max output of 1 gbps. I wasn't actually expecting to get 1gb, but figured if it got me like 150-200mbps I'd be pretty happy with it.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's the actual wiring in my house that's the bottleneck, but I might as well keep the new one anyway since it's still an improvement.

Also, I bought Demon's Souls for the PS5. I've been meaning to play the remake but had a hard time justifying dropping $70 given that I'd already played (and still own) the original. $30 though? That sounds like a good deal to me.
The fine print on those things is always going to read “Up to 1Gbps” which is the theoretical ceiling the adaptors are rated for, but it will never say it guarantees that speed because realistically they can’t. You’re probably right in that your internal wiring is causing the issue unless there’s still some CAT5 cables in the mix that need updating with CAT5e/6 of course.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
My kitchen was basically a wi-fi dead zone- it's on the opposite side of the wall to my bedroom where the router is (with a pantry in-between), and the pipes seem to completely block the signal. I got a cheap plug-in repeater that sits on a wall outlet and now I have no problems getting a signal in there.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011

Funny enough, my internet did something similar. I was getting 25up/25down at first, and then somewhere along the line I was talking to my ISP for unrelated stuff. But they noticed my current loyalty bonuses were about to expire, so I asked what they could do for me. For $5 more a month they could bump me up to 75up/75down, which is pretty sweet cause that normally costs way more, and 25/25 wasn't much in the era of 4K. I said go for it.
Now as I do speed tests I average 95up/95down and I have no idea why. Not gonna complain though, I'm getting more than what I paid for

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Amazon Sale day yesterday and today. I was going to wait another 6 months or so but the prices were really good so, why wait? I treated myself to PC parts to build what will likely be my last build. I should be able to just upgrade parts over the next 10 years and after that, who knows what PCs will be like. Likely just be a stick you plug into a monitor.

But for now, parts include a gold rated 850 watt power supply, Ryzen 9 7900X3D, 2x32 for 64 Gig DDR5, 2TB M2, 16 TBx2 for 32 TB 3.5" storage and a 6750 XT with 12 GB GDDR6 video card. Wish me luck. I hope I don't blow it all up!

1689179909306.png

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Funny enough, my internet did something similar. I was getting 25up/25down at first, and then somewhere along the line I was talking to my ISP for unrelated stuff. But they noticed my current loyalty bonuses were about to expire, so I asked what they could do for me. For $5 more a month they could bump me up to 75up/75down, which is pretty sweet cause that normally costs way more, and 25/25 wasn't much in the era of 4K. I said go for it.
Now as I do speed tests I average 95up/95down and I have no idea why. Not gonna complain though, I'm getting more than what I paid for
Yeah, I pay for 500mbps and get closer to 550-600 wired. I'm not complaining.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Laser pointer for a kitten toy. I get the hype now; it's fun as hell to watch a kitten flip his shit chasing something he can't catch!:ROFLMAO:
Adorable! Be sure to let em actually catch it every now and then, otherwise they might get discouraged. Keeps the hunting instinct going~

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You: "Silly kitty, you'll never catch it. Why bother?

Kitten:
Ha! Relentless, that's my Nolan!

Adorable! Be sure to let em actually catch it every now and then, otherwise they might get discouraged. Keeps the hunting instinct going~
I let him catch it every now and then. I usually point it at one of his favorite toys, and when he pounces on it, I let him revel the victory before pointing elsewhere seconds later.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde